Latvian Golden Eagle Nest

sova

Re: Latvian Golden Eagle Nest

Post by sova »

Good Morning

Marfo, I thought of her yesterday too.
Yesterday evening I watched the * farewell / mourning * of Spilve .... I had to cry.
As Marfo wrote, it was very special, remarkable and moving ...

it just hurts....
Marfo

Post by Marfo »

KristiinaSW wrote: July 1st, 2020, 5:32 pm Hello from Sweden! I have followed Klints. This is very sad for everyone what has happened to him/her. But I have a question about Virsis and the place he is living. You don´t know where he is have I read or what has happened to him.
I read for some minutes ago about four different white-tailed eagles which are found in two different places between Stockholm and Norrtälje in Sweden. They hade lead poisoned in there bodies, -probably accidentally. Have you knowledge about birds who had eaten poisoned or shooten animals holding lead on your area? One of them-a young eagle lost his ability to fly after having eat something with lead. I am only thinking.....
Hi Kristiina, sorry for the late reply. I'm not from Latvia but I know that birds of prey like WTE's also fall ill or die of lead poisoning in Latvia. Unfortunately lead for buckshot isn't forbidden yet in this country. At least until a few years ago.
So it is possible Virsis died from that. One of the last times I saw him on the nest I thought he looked old and unwell. But I blamed it on the long flights he had to make to find food en other troubles. But Virsis was also an old bird although his exact age is unknown because he has no rings. Anyway, we shall probably never know what happened.
Jim Hammond

Post by Jim Hammond »

I am very sorry to hear of the death of your golden eaglet, Klints. As a viewer and camera support person of a golden eagle nest camera in Sisters, Oregon, I know of the dedication of viewers to the eagle families. It is especially difficult when an eaglet has reached an age of Klints. It was wonderful to have the two Baltic nests to watch this year in addition to our nest in Oregon. We had an eventful 2019 in which an eaglet fell from the nest and, after 10 days in a rehabilitation facility, was re-nested to go on with her sibling to successfully fledge and remain in the area until well into September. This year after a sibling perished in the first week, our eaglet, Aspen, had a successful "childhood" and fledged a few weeks ago. He remains in the area, spending long periods on the nest. Yet there were several times of great concern when it appeared that the eaglet was being neglected by the parents, Rocky and Petra. One time was as long as 2 full days. Best wishes for a successful 2021 at this nest. Our camera is now showing a wider angle but there are some videos of activity posted if you look through the comments. The website is here: https://www.goldeneaglecam.org/home/live-camera#comment
Marfo

Post by Marfo »

Post by Uģis Bergmanis » 02 Jul 2020 21:46
(GT translation)

"Good evening, Watchers! We humans cannot and will never fully understand birds. We can only guess what birds think, and sometimes, by statistically processing the information obtained, we can come to conclusions about what birds like, what they don't, what their food is, and so on. Watching Spilve gives the impression that Spilve still feels connected to the baby and the nest. It is good that Spilve visits the nest every day, Spilve is the only hope for further settlement of the nest. It even seems to me that Spilve does not associate the eagle's death with something that threatens and excludes itself - if it were, she would not fly to the nest. Right now, more than at any other time, it is important not to disturb Spilve as he approaches the nest, so that Spilve does not associate the Eagle's death with a human".
Black swan

Post by Black swan »

Sometimes when I see Klints there
I think he's moving.
He is about to get up.
But no, only the wind roars
the beautiful feathers move a little.

Thanks Marfo for information.

Good Night
Marfo

Post by Marfo »

Black swan wrote: July 2nd, 2020, 11:53 pm ...
But no, only the wind roars
Nice words, well written, thanks.
Lucia65

Post by Lucia65 »

"Hello to all :hi:
I too find it difficult to accept Klints death.
But what is, is! No way to change that.
When I read the heavy emotions in the youtube chat, 2 days after, I can not think other than:

"Please dear Klints & Spilve-fans, honor Klints by giving all your love and empathy now to the living people and animals all around you. That serves everyone, including yourself!
Marfo

Post by Marfo »

Lucia65 wrote: July 3rd, 2020, 10:38 am ...
When I read the heavy emotions in the youtube chat....
It's better for your mental well-being to not read the YT chat at all. The stupidity and ignorance of many chatters who know absolutely nothing about this cam, bird or circumstances is baffling. Some of them even admitted they only read what is written below the YT stream; still they do not scruple to condemn the people responsible for this camera.

I bet they all have a pet at home which is overweight and wears pretty clothes and has to sleep in a pink little bed with fluffy bankets (or something similar)... :nod:
Lucia65

Post by Lucia65 »

Marfo wrote: July 3rd, 2020, 1:50 pm
I bet they all have a pet at home which is overweight and wears pretty clothes and has to sleep in a pink little bed with fluffy bankets (or something similar)... :nod:
I agree! :whistling:

When I look at the nest, sometimes I scan the chat for only 20-30 seconds.
And then I've seen enough to quickly close the website again. :faint:
Marfo

Post by Marfo »

Lucia65 wrote: July 3rd, 2020, 2:11 pm I agree! :whistling:

When I look at the nest, sometimes I scan the chat for only 20-30 seconds.
And then I've seen enough to quickly close the website again. :faint:
Same here :nod:
Dmtm2005

Post by Dmtm2005 »

Good afternoon,

Still very raw and still can’t quite believe Klints is gone.

You are correct the YT chat is just full of ignorant , puerile rubbish .

Take care everyone :wave:
“Never send to know for whom the bell tolls , it tolls for thee”
Dmtm2005

Post by Dmtm2005 »

Can’t believe Spilve hasn’t eaten the chick she brought to the nest , still leaving it for her little boy.
“Never send to know for whom the bell tolls , it tolls for thee”
Lucia65

Post by Lucia65 »

Dmtm2005 wrote: July 3rd, 2020, 5:03 pm Take care everyone :wave:
Thanks Dmtm.
I also wish everyone the best, and maybe till next year. :wave:
Tatyana

Post by Tatyana »

5'th of July
Hello to all! :hi:
7.32 - 7.41 Poor Spilve! She still hopes the Klints are alive! She brought him a mouse, she tried to wake him, she took care of him, she laid the prey closer to him! 😢

Black swan

Post by Black swan »

Good Morning,

yes, just saw it too...
poor Spilve.
Sad to watch.

07:31:34 (food in her beak)

07:34

07:41 off to favorite cam-branch

07:42 she goes off from...
Marfo

Post by Marfo »

Just about to post this. Surprising that she brought food!
She also put an older scrap of food by Klints' head and the prey she brought the last time at Klints' tale.
Like a ritual: victuals for his journey to the the eternal hunting grounds.
Black swan

Post by Black swan »

I thought similarly, Marfo.
Never seen before!

video of return

edit: 10:56:26 and later: to hear callings from Spilve near nest (Thanks @Maris on YT chat)
Marfo

Post by Marfo »

13:36
Spilve again!
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

she tries to feed Klints. That is very interesting. She did still not know that the eaglet is dead.

she holds a piece of food in her beak to give it to Klints. then she ate everything that brought her to the nest. also the rotted little bird.

the chat is still .. :slap: :shock:
​@liznm but if Klints was a human ?

What should I answer!
Marfo

Post by Marfo »

She ate all the food she brought earlier.
She must know Klints is dead. She has seen many dead birds in her life.

Return to “Latvian Golden Eagle Forum”