Goshawk nest in Riga 2020 - 2021

Goshawk nests in Latvia
Polly

Re: Goshawk nest in Riga 2020

Post by Polly »

sova :2thumbsup:

They destroyed a clutch of big-tailed tits for me (eggs, not chicks) and I saw them taking small bodies with them from hedges.
But we would be naive to dream that all of our animals are vegetarian. It is often just painful to grasp. :innocent:

It is good if we do not judge an animal. We all do the same - take to live. :nod:
"Throw your heart across the river and swim after it."
Indian proverb
sova

Post by sova »

Polly wrote: December 2nd, 2020, 5:13 pm ...
Active - yes.
Under favorable climatic conditions, the courtship begins beforehand. There is talk of late winter. But also starting from November one can read in the literature. Well, it's too much of a hassle for me to talk about our changed climate. As you write in the chat, you miss the snow in Germany. Yes Liz ... what we have are no longer the usual winters. So why shouldn't our native birds notice this and be confused? I'm not saying I think that's a good thing. But we should consider all sorts of things. No stereotyping.
Hawks are solitary animals outside of the breeding season. A pair of hawks stays together for life and is very loyal to their territory. The mating season can begin as early as November and December if the weather conditions are favorable, but takes place mainly in late winter

https://wildenachbarn.ch/tiere/habicht
Polly

Post by Polly »

Yes, I have other links and could have documented them too. @sova, thank you for that !!! :nod:

My videos are not legendary, but hopefully they are enough for objective documentation.
Hawk or sparrowhawk ...

11:28:37 - 42
11:29:15 - 23

Like to compare with the video from November 29th. Exactly the same.
Indian proverb
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Sova, Polly :hi:
The higher in the north, the later the breeding season starts. Latvia and Estonia cannot be compared with Germany.
and vice versa, the further south, the earlier they begin. You can see it very well with the eagles. Hungary starts earlier with white-tailed eagles and black storks than Germany and much earlier than Latvia and Estonia.
Polly

Post by Polly »

Not much different from us here. It is a fact that the winters have become milder. That was also noticed here in the forum last winter. When it was rumored that the gentleness would let the Ospreys come earlier.
Let's just keep looking. :2thumbsup:
Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

6th of December

11:36 A crow lands near the camera. You can hear their landing.
She jumps higher in the nest tree until she can no longer be seen.
11:37:22 Another one flies into a treetop in the group of trees where Boka often sat.
11:38:00 Number three joins it.
11:38:14 - 26 The crow in the nest tree begins to make soft sounds. :innocent:
11:39:03 The crow leaves the nest tree.

I sincerely wish all readers a wonderful and healthy Advent Sunday. :innocent:
Stay safe!
:2thumbsup:
Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

15:22 :loveshower:

I cook and hear a crack in the tablet ... yes, an adult hawk! :loveshower:

More later ... enjoy first. :innocent:
(I can only write or see my webcam.)

The moment:

Because of the unpleasant weather, I didn't expect a hawk with exhilarating feelings. Well ...
I am now refraining from wild speculations (my head is full of it) in order not to get into trouble again.
What a wild feather design. :shock: My first impulse was that it wasn't one of our hawks. Now I think it was Boka. And Boka missed the present from Luijs.
But speculate but please have your own thoughts. :innocent:
Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

One request: for the next two weeks I'll only be on late shift every day except tomorrow. Would someone like to keep an eye on the nest from noon, please? Timestamps would suffice ... if activity shows. That would be great. :innocent:
I cannot see while working. :rolleyes: :unsure:
Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

11:37:22 Another one flies into a treetop in the group of trees where Boka often sat.
11:38:00 Number three joins it.
The crow from the nest tree did not fly to the group of trees. Were the other two actually crows?
I'm doubting my thoughts right now. :puzzled:

But probably yes. I'm a bit overloaded. End for today and see what happens next. :faint:

First

The tree top in which you land is marked in green.
Indian proverb
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

My observation
11:36 visit by an raven. a crow is calling not far

11:37:15 a hawk is calling - then a bird is flying to the tree top (looks like a raven)- the crow is calling again
11:38:19 the raven makes "Horse galloping noises" This is how Marfo described this sound.

11:39:03 the raven flew from the nest tree
Polly

Post by Polly »

Liz, yes there were a number of tones. :innocent: I actually didn't hear the hawk this time.
( edit: 11:37:15 -19 (the period mentioned by Marfo) seagulls in distance. It sounds like seagulls to me. That's why I didn't mention it.)
I would be interested where Marfo uttered it? There were no comments in the chat. At least not visible to me :puzzled: Is there another place where the nest is shared? ... but sweetly described.

I will have another look at the video and thank you to you! :2thumbsup:
Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

December 7th

A really carp weather to at least note down sounds. Without headphones, only wind can be heard. With headphones it would certainly be possible, but my nerves don't hold out. :mrgreen:
Since 3:29 pm I have had the constant feeling that something is moving through the tree. But surely only the branches near the microphone.

Praise for the camera and the stream! Very reliable ... thank you !!! :thumbs:
Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

20th of December

Well, quick update I went to work yesterday. I checked late and can at least give second hand information.
There was some movement among the hawks. A young (juvenile) and an adult hawk could be heard. I could no longer wind myself, it was too late. To me it looks like the adult hawk in the tree.

December 19th

(Video by Zaiga Mikelsone)

Everything in the neighboring forum:
https://forums.dabasdati.lv/viewtopic.p ... &start=840

Great and thanks for looking at the nest and the report @ mega2 and @made. That pleases me. :innocent:

It was a bit restless today too, especially in the first half of the day. Much cries of seagulls, ravens ... angry blackbirds. I had the camera running all day, but no sighting or acoustic movement of a hawk. The excitement of the other birds could mean that a hawk was still present.
Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

December 25th

Yesterday there was another visit of one of our (?) Goshawks.

Once again, @mega2 took good care and informed. Thank you very much! :thumbs:

And everything for those interested is available again in the neighboring forum.

https://forums.dabasdati.lv/viewtopic.p ... &start=840

:wave:
Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

December 26th

Today it looks very nice when the camera is opened. :innocent:

Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

December 27th

The weather forecast promises further nice winter weather. The sky looks like there could be more snow.

December 21 was the winter solstice. The days are slowly getting longer again. Perhaps our animals feel this and soon become more active.
Until then, let's enjoy the beautiful snow. :wave:
Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

December 28th

08:27 - 33 An adult hawk can be heard. It has to be a bit distant.
Immediately after that a seagull. (However, there are two different calls - hawk and seagull!)

edit:
December 29th

I can't report anything. Sometimes nothing is good ... :innocent:
At the moment I feel frustrated. I know that nature needs its peace .... I also treat my garden. Patience is gold. But not easy. I hope every day that our hawks will top up their nest and not change. It is not uncommon for them to use the same nest. There have been hopeful moments but my belly says this nest is being pushed into the reserves for this season.
For me, they are too inactive. Here..... Today there were lovely violin tones. I have a day off today, waiting for guests and preparing food.
It must have been close to the nest. When pop music sounded in the summer. No hawks - still a sweet feeling. :nod: If not our hawks ...we feel close to our fellow human beings.

I have only two notes:
07:20 Blackbird mocks:z
16:05 opponent and oha ... . very excited blackbird. In the middle of the violin game. 8-)

A terrible time this nest empty. For me. :unsure:

Then there is the technical challenge that I still have to master. New browser and translator ... Nothing is going on. I have so little time. Sorry for the Off Topic and Moaning ... . :unsure:

I'm getting bad to read my own posts. Is it not possible to update security certificate so that we can post normally????? In these circumstances, I will not report any more.
Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

January 10th

Good Morning :hi:

First of all, I am very happy that I can access the forum in the usual way. My browser is no longer blocking it. That makes everything a lot easier. Very nice, thanks for the work in the background.

It remains to be seen whether this nest will be used for breeding this year. Our hawks make themselves very invisible. In previous years they were a bit more present at this time. Still, I think they are there. Possibly in the vicinity of the nest tree but still in the territory. There are many very quiet days but also many moments when other birds such as seagulls and ravens are very excited.
I was a little more involved, both professionally and privately. I hope I haven't missed anything.

Well, like yesterday ... when ravens struck this wood, screaming. Unfortunately, I thought too late about documenting it.

Then again I have heard very often the breaking of branches recently. It sounds like the summer when Boka broke branches for the nest. Exactly like that. Then I think about building a new nest instead of using one of their reserve nests?
All just thoughts of mine. No claims. No knowledge.

Today
For today one song fascinated me. A seagull? It sounded a little plaintive but fascinating. Is it a courtship song?

Let's wait ...

Have a nice and healthy Sunday everyone! :innocent:
Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

10:14:11 A curious crow flies to the nest.

She plucks something interested, calls out briefly ...

Test the situation 8-) and leave the tree at the other end of the group of trees on the left.

Again the crows are very active in the wood. At that moment there are two of them ... they fly playfully and beautifully together. :nod: Also about the nest tree. Advertisers?

At first I thought they might be hawks, but they are crows.

Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

12:53 - 54 loud seagulls again
12:56 again
Today it is just as restless as yesterday. Or is it just how I feel? :puzzled: Some birds may already be in courtship mood. It could also be a normal acoustic procedure because the territory and partners are being courted and defended. By the way, seagulls (my reading - source) start in February. So it doesn't have to have something to do with hawks.
13:05:50 - 13:06:03 drawn out tone. Difficult to read for me.

13:06:22 Seagulls and crows are screaming.
13:15:11 The cracking. Sometimes the residents are involved in handicrafts and some time ago there was work with chainsaws. But that crack doesn't come from them.

All but no hawks. :mrgreen: 8-)
Indian proverb

Return to “Goshawks”