Goshawk nest in Riga 2020 - 2021

Goshawk nests in Latvia
Polly

Re: Goshawk nest in Riga 2020 - 2021

Post by Polly »

Emi7 wrote: June 15th, 2021, 4:41 pm With luck and a genetics hand, a chicken could also get the "V" (It would be too much)
It would be great! :2thumbsup:
"Throw your heart across the river and swim after it."
Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

16:55 H21 flies onto the side branch.
17:04 She leaves the nest tree to the tallest tree on the horizon.

Seagulls and crows can be heard ...
... and you can hear H21. 8-)
She starts calling 17:10:35.

17:21 The chicks sleep so lazily that they even miss the arrival of H21. This time she brings a pigeon.

It takes time for the chicks to be ready to eat.
Is it mini, the youngest chick (??)... it attracts the pigeon three times. H21 brings the food back three times. The little one must have a lot of strength by now. :shock:
He sits so close to the nest edge ...

Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

Good feeding for everyone.
There were good bites, a tug of war between the older chicks and Mini ... who was enjoying his exclusive portions and I think the whole time he was holding the pigeon's head in his claws. :laugh:

17:43 H21 hardly got rid of any bites. The chicks were fed up quickly.
17:49 She jumps onto the side branch
17:52 ... she starts calling and looks into the industrial area. H44? :innocent:

She flies out, keeps calling.
Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

19:19 H21 let himself 'fall into the nest' again from above.
She stood close to her chicks for a few moments, but then switched to the side branch.

The wind has increased in the meantime.

20:28 H21 quietly leaves the branch towards the industrial site.
The rascals slumber contentedly. :innocent:

20: 29/30 H21 and seagulls complain together. Sometimes their voices are very similar. :laugh:
Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

21:55 H21 comes to the nest for the night and brings the cover in its beak.

Loosen everything up again ...

Sleep well! :wave:
:offtobed:
Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

June 16th

:hi: :innocent:

I'm just coming home from work and have to be brief ... try it. Sorry

I will try step by step to capture the day ...
Let's go.

04:40 This sight is to be enjoyed.
No longer running and H21 will spend the night away from the nest boundaries.

05:13 The day is rolling ... everyone is ready.

Is it my fantasy - H21 will secretly switch to gray plumage?
She seems to be graying from her head. But it can also be light.

05:14:06 Feces are deposited from the upper floor. H44? :innocent:
Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

05:24 H21 brings smaller food to the nest.

Well, today I felt the first serious attack alarm (greed ... I wrote about it). On a small scale ... the chick will be a lot stronger in a week. It's good when H44 pulls out.
Even H21 was a little unprepared and struggled to keep her balance. But for them, too, it is a first experience, even if they are instinctively prepared.

Great when the little devils turn into little devils. :innocent:

Feeding!
Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

07:28 After H21 left the nest loudly in '26, H44 takes over the watch.
Gosh ... he looks small among his chicks.

There are sweet minutes in the nest. He fiddles and is by far a very sensitive father. I really like him a lot. From the beginning. :innocent:
And that's why every minute is immortalized with H44.
Who knows .... :rolleyes:

Once again tough on YouTube .... :/
Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

Well, the birds are chirping that the chicks will be ringed tomorrow.

Pity... I deserve this information to come to us directly too. I've been documenting this nest for so long. Did it when no one else cared. The way Tringa thanked him here ... well.
Just like the link to our forum in the chat is never listed although we are mentioned in the subtitle. And also my heart's blood is in this nest ... its inhabitants ... our H's.

For me it's over here.
I am now finally disappointed.
Indian proverb
Emi7

Post by Emi7 »

It is true that there are not many of us who participate here, but very abundant information has been given. It is also followed by members of Dabasdati, especially when it was very heavy because nothing close was decided in terms of visits and reproduction (Autumn and winter).

Polly's effort has been enormous and we have all taken advantage of it. There is no obligation to anything but a deference on key events and support would be appreciated.

I think that also the information given here has had another point of view halfway between the popularization, the scientific and the experience of following the Goshawks for twenty-five years.

My support for Polly's activity and would be sorry to be cut off here when we are so close to a successful end. If she does so, she would join me in her decision because it was because of her activity that I began to post here in gratitude to all of her work.

Greetings
Polly

Post by Polly »

June 17th

Thanks Emiliano. :nod:
However, I did not miss the rings, even though I really have very little time today.

Big day today for all H's. :innocent:
It seemed a bit early to me, but the minis are also setting a rapid pace in their development. I couldn't see live, that is, canned impressions of myself and because it shouldn't be missing.

Movement under the tree could already be heard at 16:54. The Minis were very relaxed, but H21 has been on the alert for a long time.
16:57:47 She sits in the group of trees on the left in the tallest tree (how often) and comes over to the nest. She is nervous, looks down ... she noticed the intruder from a great distance.

H21 leaves the nest in a hurry and from then on she filled the territory with her voice and defensive will. Similar to Boka, it flies warning attacks into the lower area of ​​the tree.
17:01 H44 rushes to the rescue ... both of them are very angry.
The chicks remain firmly on the nest floor. Instinctively, they show no movement or points of attack. Great!

It takes a long time for the ringer to reach the nest.
17:21 One of the older chicks grasps the situation, gets up, makes himself big and dangerous with his wings and beeps the sounds of his parents. Just great and incredibly cute. :)

It is of no use ... today they should and will get their IDs.
(Which, by the way, I can't read.)

The ringing itself is quick. The boys and girls are quite cooperative. :whistling:
The youngest chick (third in the ring) seemed to have been tweaked once? Something briefly hurt or was uncomfortable.

But the further course of the day shows no after-effects. In the meantime everything is relaxed again and the minis jump and flutter like young masters.

21:27 H21 brings food to the nest and is attacked according to all rules. As it should be. Young hawks are very stormy. (Wouldn't deliberately hurt their parents though)

A stress test today ... But it wouldn't be our H's if they didn't all get through this well.

I thought about it for a long time, but made a video and it was also very long. Sorry I found the situation before the rings almost more interesting. So it starts well before that. (It can be rewound.)

Sleep well :wave:
:offtobed:
Indian proverb
Emi7

Post by Emi7 »

They have behaved quite well, only when they catch them do they make a little reaction.

I think that after the inconvenience they could have left some food in the nest taking advantage of ... that they were passing by. :laugh:

Of the three chickens there is one that is slightly more advanced in plumage than the other (those that were born on the same day), the little one defends himself as best he can and it is noticeable that he is somewhat more behind. They look like two females and one male but they would finish their growth before the sisters, although maybe there are surprises and they are all female.

H21 no longer remembers when they put it on her and of course she has been upset, although she has not made passes as close as Boka.

Greetings
Polly

Post by Polly »

June 18th

:hi:

Cleaning up my records ... I'm messy. Everything can be found on my notes - observations as well as notes for shopping lists. I can't tell what date it is. This is the life of a passionate nest watcher. By the way ... some will know it well. :innocent:

http://sjjs.de/hansbilder/images/338820 ... 142438.jpg

http://sjjs.de/hansbilder/images/282520 ... 142549.jpg

Day one after the ringing ...
Nice that the care was not interrupted. H21 spent the night with her almost teenagers in the nest. :innocent:

It will be over soon. But she'll be just a poop away. :laugh:

03:37 She leaves the nest, calls. (or answer?)
She returns in '55. No food in the claws yet.
But she may have been eating herself in the last few minutes. There would be enough time for a few bites.

Seagulls howl in the distance.
Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

I think that after the inconvenience they could have left some food in the nest taking advantage of ... that they were passing by. 
:rotf:
Good idea for the next season.

As for plumage and sex ... oh, I roll the dice every day.
For me, Mini is a male chick.
With the two older chicks, I was sure that they were females. Why ... male chicks are often more 'agile' in their motor skills and the urge to hunt. They will discover the food for yourself more quickly. Play with it ... hunt and claim it. They also often become independent and fledged more quickly.
I try (also from my gut) to define the sexes in this way. The size can help, of course. Because males remain more delicate.

Well, a lot of words and just my personal bingo.
Mini-males
Midi - male or female (male tendency)
Maxi - females

A few days ... then there will be a better picture for Midi.

No bet. I could lose a lot. :mrgreen:
Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

Seagulls howl in the distance.

For a long time I interpreted the howling of the seagulls for attacks or robbery by Goshawk.
But have we ever seen a seagull prey? I always try to recognize the animals that have been beaten, but I never saw a seagull's leg. They were mostly chicken birds. Although seagulls are very much sought-after prey.

Or?

03:58 H21 listens to the speed of the seagulls.

Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

04:59 I see H21 on the side branch ...

06:34:09 'Gjak' from H44 ... now she is leaving the branch. She falls into the undergrowth.
06:35:17 H44 takes over on the side branch. After seeing the chicks pulling so hard for the food yesterday evening ... yes. H44 should now remember its time of curb delivery. His closeness to the chicks "" is increasingly numbered.

H21 continues to nag in the area. Can't she find the food?
06:36 H44 rushes into the area ... to meet the calls of H21.
Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

06:39 H21 returns with food. Feed until about 06:52.
The little ones will soon be satisfied.

I keep trying to read rings. Enlarging images doesn't help - it just gets blurred. The number seems to be three digits? But it seems to me that it is preceded by an F? Or E?

I activated my glasses again - it just doesn't help.
Doesn't that fit? E or F does not match. (in my head :D )

:help: :rotf:
Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

H32 ...132 ??? :loveshower:

Hardly cut
Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

12:43 At that moment I see a rodent (rat?) in the nest.

Unfortunately I can't say who brought it and when. I wind back and forth rather wildly, I don't have the time ... important - there is more food and it is being fed. :thumbs:

The other leg would be great ... :mrgreen:

Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

14:10 H21 brings another rodent.
Small prey again ... and she throws it around with no intention of dividing it.
Is a new learning process starting?

Every chick is allowed to try and every one does it - under the observation of H21.
No one will share this food, but everyone gets a chance to try. :nod:
Our minis quickly understand that the food is hardly edible for them whole. H21 will end this lesson by helping and feeding.

I expect to her to one day bring live prey. It wouldn't be objectionable. Interesting to see these different ways of growing.

Indian proverb

Return to “Goshawks”