Goshawk nest in Riga 2020 - 2021

Goshawk nests in Latvia
Emi7

Re: Goshawk nest in Riga 2020 - 2021

Post by Emi7 »

There is already an explanation for the blackout of the camera, according to Janis Kuze there is a problem with the router and the forecast is to activate it again.

https://forums.dabasdati.lv/viewtopic.p ... start=1300

Thank you very much for the information.

The part of autumn - winter that remains, at the moment, is the one that interests me the most to verify the permanence and possible activity and absence in the area of the breeding pair (H44 and H 21)
Polly

Post by Polly »

This is great and beautiful news.

Thanks Emiliano! :2thumbsup:
"Throw your heart across the river and swim after it."
Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

December 4th

Well, the technical problem is unlikely to be resolved until next spring. Unfortunately, I think there is no such intention.
Too bad. It would have been an interesting period to see how the pair would develop together outside of the active breeding season. Especially since the H's are still very young adults.

Meanwhile, winter is finally arriving. :nod:

Indian proverb
Emi7

Post by Emi7 »

Hello again Polly :hi: :hi:

It seems that at the moment there is not much chance that the camera will be active again anytime soon.

Reviewing the autumn - winter of Margo in 2016/2017, in October as now sounds, visit to nest and white of the tail deployed.

November : a visit to the nest and sounds.

December: Several visits and the sounds of two individuals began as well as the white of the tail unfolding something.

Starting in January, the signs of the onset of heat are more evident despite the snowfalls.

Between the breeding season and the heat before and after the breeding we can say that they spend a lot of time of the year active and in the vicinity of the nest although we do not see the visits they make outside the nest that will surely be in the months of November and December. All this in pairs or individuals in their breeding area previous.

At the moment we are losing it with the H's

The weather is that of the winter surroundings, although last year it did not begin to be cold until January and coastal cities and near the sea of ​​northern Europe had higher minimums than in the interior of Spain where currently it has already snowed in the high and somewhat in the lower parts of the north and the center.

Regards Polly :wave: :wave:
Polly

Post by Polly »

Hi Emiliano :2thumbsup:

I firmly expect that our H's would have been quite active to see and hear in the past few weeks. In any case. These two are a very energetic couple.
I'm a little upset that only the breeding season is transmitted. There are also watchers who watch every day not just because of cute chicks. Even if of course the clicks increase enormously with the hatching of the chicks.
Goshawk are always there. They are not migratory birds like ospreys or kites ... black storks ... why do you switch off or not take care of maintenance? WTE or Golden Eagle are also left open.
And there are more interesting things in an animal's life than just the breeding season. I find the inconspicuous time before and after even more interesting. Which is being taken from us here.
Goshawk in particular are so secret birds that this stream would be worth gold in the off-season.

But good.
Sorry for the criticism. It doesn't help anyway. :D

Patience and there may be an earlier start with the Dutch neighbors.

All the best Emi :innocent:
Indian proverb
Simoninna

Post by Simoninna »

Hi!
you probably didn't see the answer from LDF.
J.Ķ. wrote : "There are problems with the router, we will try to revive it. We do not plan to turn off this camera." 25.10.2021.
I suppose the problem wasnt so easy to solve.
"The greatest threat to our planet is the belief that someone else will save it.” - Robert Swan Obe, the first man in history to walk to both the North and South Poles.
Polly

Post by Polly »

Read and stated that the problem does not seem to be resolved in a timely manner. That's how I wrote it too.
It doesn't matter what we assume - it's a shame not to use valuable time.
But the interests are probably too far apart.

And no feedback to really loyal viewers is just as unfortunate.

Ps: We haven't even received any feedback on the ringing until today. Not even you in the Latvian forum.

Thanks anyway.
Indian proverb
Emi7

Post by Emi7 »

Hi all :wave:

Review of the times of performance of the cameras of the Goshawk in Riga

MARGO's site - Mr X - Mr Y - Mr Y Papins (2015 to 2018)

Margo (adult female) and Mr X (young male): 4 eggs that are abandoned when the male does not feed.

Home Camera Start : A little later than (14-4-15) End: About (15-5-15)

The camera was disconnected when playback did not continue.

Margo (Adult female) and Mr Y (Young male): 4 eggs, 2 hatch, 1 flies

Home Camera Start : (30-3-16) End : Continued until September 2017

Margo (adult female) and Mr Y Papins (adult male): 5 eggs, 3 hatch, 3 fly

Home Camera Start : came from 2016 End: September 2017

The camera was removed as there was no constant current in the power supply.

There was no couple formed, Margo and Mr Y Papins disappeared in the style of Boka and Luijs in 2020

Home Camera Start : (9-3-18) End: About (9-8-18)

In April the router failed but was reestablished more or less quickly.
The camera was removed as there was no playback.

Outskirts of Riga (2019)

Home Camera Start: (30-3-19) End: (2-6-19)

Nest not used, occasional visits. The camera was removed as there was no playback.

Boka site - Luijs - H44 - H21 (2020 to 2021)

Boka (Adult female) and Luijs (Adult male): 4 eggs, 2 hatch, 2 fly.

Home Camera Start: (27-3-20 ) End: Continued until October 2021

H44 (Young male) and H21 (Young female): 3 eggs, 3 hatch, 3 fly.

Home Camera Start : Coming since 2020 End: (18-10-21)

The camera has been disconnected due to problems with the Router.
Emi7

Post by Emi7 »

The cameras have been in operation in which there has been reproduction and pair formed or awaiting occupation of the nest and they have been removed due to reproductive or technical failures.

I understand that what is striking is the reproduction when there is more activity. Even so, the cameras were kept between (2016) and (2017) and (2020) and (2021) in the non-breeding season with notable activity in small details as a result of numerous hours of observation when apparently nothing happened on Polly's part. We have all benefited from her great work as well as that of the notifiers of the two forums and the chat (Many thanks to everyone and especially to Polly).

When in (2021) almost no one was betting on reproduction, we were surprised by the young H44 and H21, carrying out their first clutch with the strength of youth.

It was a good opportunity to witness and study the new couple who have behaved exceptionally and who have continued to provide us with valuable data.

It has been stopped due to a technical failure that has prevented us from seeing and recording its behavior in what would have been "ideal", a full year.

The chambers are private to the Latvian Ornithological Fund and we cannot ask for their continuity in our interests. Still I am grateful for its performance.

Let's hope that it was reestablished as soon as possible with our H44 and H21 and again to be able to observe the previous mating season.

Greetings to all and may the New Year bring us good news.

HAPPY NEW YEAR !!! :wave: :wave:
Polly

Post by Polly »

Emiliano,
nice to read from you in the old year! :innocent:

Let's go into the next year with good thoughts and be open and ready for everything that comes.

You and everyone will now have carefree next hours and a thirst for adventure and strength for the new year.

🍀🐞🍀

Thank you for your words.
And you did very thorough research again. :book:
Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

It would be about time to start the camera. Or at least reveal plans.
Despite all the various adversities across borders, the streams start or plans are announced. If anyone has secret sources... here are at least 2 humans and their shadows who are dying to see the nest.

White stork cameras run without interest but a generally rare Goshawk camera does not.

I don't understand that or the lack of interest.

I wonder if switching a camera is really for information. Then she would have had to walk over the winter. At the goshawk's quiet time. Or why then.
Indian proverb
Bea

Post by Bea »

☼ ☼ ☼

No idea how things will go on here with the Latvian Goshawk nest cam .... BUT there is an actual article on Looduskalender main page about Goshawks in Estonia:
https://www.looduskalender.ee/n/node/6380

In Estonian language only, but translating it with Google translator, it gives a little bright stripe of hope on the horizon, I hope I interpret the translation right ...

GT Estonian to English:

The video has been recorded in a hen-friendly habitat, an old spruce or a mixed forest, but such forests have been under severe logging pressure for the past few decades. If we still have about three hundred pairs of eagles nesting and some of them have become so-called "city dwellers", then the winter population with migrants from the north and east could be at least a thousand individuals. As already mentioned, meeting chickens is no longer a rarity in the city. If successful, we will be able to broadcast the webcam from the hen's nest this year.

The ability of a hen eagle to be confused with a female golden eagle in settlements during the winter is significantly higher (the male harbor is significantly larger).

In the woods, chickens hunt colored, small rodents or forest canals during the winter and feed on carrion as you can see in the video.

The feathers of the hens are unchanged, the eyes are yellow, the beak is black, the waxy skin is yellow like the legs.

Body length over half a meter and wingspan over one meter. According to birds of prey, females are larger than males, weighing up to one and a half kilograms, and males can weigh up to half as much.

In the aerial view, we see a slightly creamy abdomen with dark crossbands and a long tail with four dark bands. The wings of hens are round and wide. During the flight, a few quick wings are made and during the rowing flight, the wings are kept close together, but when the direction of the flight is changed, the wings are spread like a fan.

Why is it easier for chickens to live in the city?

It is much easier to find birds of prey because in winter there is no shortage of pigeons, colored pigeons or other crows in the cities.

Promising part is marked red :thumbs:
There are no guarantees for sure, Goshawks have their own opinions about nesting for more seasons on the same place, but who knows ..... maybe we are lucky?

And I am pretty sure that a Goshawk can´t easily be mixed up with a female Golden Eagle, as GT translation shows, but maybe more easily with a Sparrow Hawk :wink:

:wave:
Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
Emi7

Post by Emi7 »

Hello again, Polly and Bea.

I'm afraid they won't connect until the end of March.

In Dabas they have announced several times that there will be a Goshawk camera together with two of the eagle and another of the underwater world.

https://dabasdati.lv/lv/cat/1188/

In the Netherlands, on the other hand, they have already announced that they are in the process of assembling their cameras and that it may take a while.

The goshawks are already in their areas and marking the surroundings with droppings and in Riga, which they usually breed, will soon be similar. They may wait for egg laying to occur. Between the breeding period, the autumn heat and the beginning of a new season, they are shot almost all year round in the guarded area.

What a pity that we are missing it !

From the translation of the article in Loodokus I don't know if the camera is the one in Riga or in Estonia they plan to put another one.

A greeting to all of us who had been inactive for some time and always waiting.
Bea

Post by Bea »

☼ ☼ ☼

:hi:

I am sure that the article on Looduskalender main page refers to an Estonian nest, not to the Latvian one here. And that a live stream will start only when Goshawks have definitely occupied the nest again, maybe even have laid a first egg ... we will see, it will still take time ....

:wave:
Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
Emi7

Post by Emi7 »

Thank you, Bea.
Polly

Post by Polly »

Bea, Emiliano :2thumbsup:

Thank you for your feedback here.
It feels good. Actually, at least me.

I know that allegations are not good or welcome. And ranting in another language is difficult. Very delicate - I don't know how my words will be interpreted in each case. :laugh:

Okay, thanks for the encouragement and swipe on the head. Thanks Bea for not spelling the word with 'G...' (patience) explicitly. Although it always sounds so easy with you.

Of course, I'll be happy to watch other Goshawks as well. Yes why not. These animals are poignant.
I just would have liked to have followed the path of our young H's. We discovered her here together and many months including spring changes from Juvenile
accompanied to Adult. I will never forget the moment when H21 followed H44 into the nest. :innocent:
It is frustrating that this opportunity was interrupted and not resumed in time for courtship.

I greet you warmly - and patiently. Because I just have no other option. :dunno: :rotf:
Indian proverb
Emi7

Post by Emi7 »

There will be three chambers of goshawks with luck. They are incredible and beautiful, although I like them all, I admit my weakness for the H's and Boka and Luijs.

I had not seen the goshawks get along as well as with the H's, everywhere they put them as aggressive, etc ... but in their tender moments they have also been wonderful. Boka didn't give Luijs much breathing room, he came just right and left. H44 endears .

Thanks again to Bea for the Loodokus news.
Polly

Post by Polly »

Boka didn't give Luijs much breathing room, he came just right and left. H44 endears .
Yes! :mrgreen:

May 22, 2020
Luijs comes to the nest without notice... It took Boka a long time to calm down. I remember very well. :rolleyes:
In this situation there was also this shrill whistle, which we heard a year later from the H's in the field. Associated with the crows aggressively flying around the nest tree.
But he only brought food. :puzzled:

Yes, their replacements and handovers in the nest were brief and pragmatic.
Also because of this - and I hope we can see that, I think - younger Goshawks are possibly even more playful in their expressions. Maybe it's a matter of maturity that Goshawk don't demonstrate their bond as intensely anymore.

I dont know.
For this we would need a season H44 & H21.2.2 :D

H44 & H21
12th of May 2021

Indian proverb
Hellem

Post by Hellem »

Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Hellem wrote: February 27th, 2022, 11:40 am Goshawk (Accipiter Gentilis) nest in Estonia by Riigimets:...
Hellem, thank you! what a beautiful nest :loveshower:

6:56 a lot of calling in the forest

arrival .. still calling (sound and video doesn't match- But I try a download )

Polly, I hope you will find time for it :bow: :D

Return to “Goshawks”