Goshawk nest in Riga 2020 - 2021

Goshawk nests in Latvia
Marbzy

Re: Goshawk nest in Riga 2020

Post by Marbzy »

Thanks, Polly, for the images and narration. I've been finding it increasingly harder to follow the nests, so I'm truly grateful for your effort. The elder chick's performance last night at 20:51 is a nice statement of intent at just 24 days of age. Two more weeks and (s)he'll be a brancher! Hopefully, the sibling will not fall behind too much.
Polly

Post by Polly »

The elder chick's performance last night at 20:51 is a nice statement of intent at just 24 days of age.
I obviously missed an important event. :help: I rewound the same evening and found the chicks sleeping from '51 to '52. I couldn't understand the previous day. Marbzy, please help me! :innocent:

I continue to notice that the first page has still not been updated. Despite my request. Hatching dates are still missing.
I don't have much time anyway, but we should spend the time. With the Ospreys, it only takes a few hours to update.
"Throw your heart across the river and swim after it."
Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

Marbzy, it's always very difficult to follow more than one nest. If you want to do it with whole blood.
Better just a nest with heart and soul .... :innocent:

You take care of the vultures ... that's enough work. Because you can not spool and the cooperation of others is missing. You have full respect from me! :nod:

I am divided between Teo and hawks. And one person always falls short.
I will keep my focus here. Even if I have all eyes everywhere and I love Vita and Teo.

Well, I'm expecting some ugly moments here. When parents bring live prey to teach their teenagers to kill ... It will be ready soon. I read in advance that there are handle and bite killers.
Hawks are predators.
Indian proverb
Hellem

Post by Hellem »

:hi:

From LDF:
Latvijas Dabas fonds (in chat)
​Greetings to all - it is planned to ring these babies this evening, around 8 pm

:wave:
Polly

Post by Polly »

Hellem, after my anger that my old tablet has scraped an elaborate post, your message is good. Soooo good !!!! :loveshower:

Are you ringing the bell?
Oh my god ... who's doing this to? Boka is a well-known furie. :rotf:

I will now force my husband to start the big monitor.

Hug from me for you... :innocent:

If Little One and Button Eye are really ringing ... it would be a great gift. :innocent:
Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

I'm trying to fix my post. To take away the trauma ... the hawks are only set to kill.

Like you, I still have the pictures from last year in my head. overkill .... in the Finnish and polish nest.
Well, I still don't understand. Admittedly. It hurt to see it. I am not heartless. It still hurts me. With a slight lack of understanding.
Still look at this family. Do you live in a frenzy of blood? In excess?

https://www.greifvogel.com/greifvoegel/ ... /index.htm

(In addition to these two primary methods of killing, the mere impact of the catches / claws of the bird of prey on the prey should not be underestimated: Often this "blow" is enough to paralyze or even kill the prey animal through the shock. This is understandable if you take a look at the speed at which the catches of various birds of prey strike at the moment of grabbing: For example, studies using a high-speed camera with 800-1000 frames per second by the American ornithologist GE Goslow showed that the catches of the hawk (Accipiter gentilis) hit the prey at speeds between 14.0 and 22.5 m / s, which was 50 , 4 or 81.0 km / h.)i

No, we are experiencing a completely disciplined family here. Even the little ones are oriented towards obedience, with a penchant for the care of their siblings and a rarely observed idyll within the family. :innocent:

No blood frenzy. A completely normal existence. And a polly waiting to ring the bell ... :slap:

Boka, behave yourself. :unsure: :rotf:

Indian proverb
Hellem

Post by Hellem »

19:01 The chicks are waiting for the ringing and kissing 8-)

Polly :hi: :D
Polly

Post by Polly »

begin ... :2thumbsup:

Boka complains in the distance and the little ones lie like organ pipes. :thumbs:

I hear the ropes ....

20:03
We are not there. :rotf:

Video follows ... Dear our little ones and Boka. :innocent: ( :rotf: )

Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

Thanks again to Hellem for the hint.
I didn't expect the little ones to get rings. I am so happy about this identity that they have now officially got. They deserved it.

Button eye, hatched on 07.05. now wears ring A97.

Little one hatched on May 9th. wears ring A98.

Thanks to the cap man for the courage. For the power and the passion and love for these birds to extend the working day.
Maybe we'll learn more about your identity? I would recognize Urmas, Janis and Maris ... a new face? Welcome!!!! :loveshower:
A lot of feeling and bite in the matter. Great!!!!

It must be a nice feeling to look into this nest, to touch the little ones and to silently bless them. :innocent:
Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

Boka was excited. Passed through the nest a few times in the first phase but she wasn't the monster I expected from prehistory. :innocent:

Our brave Beringer had to duck a few times, yes. :D
Everything was good.
It could have been different. Therefore respect for the project!
Unlike in other nests, Boka was back with her chicks very quickly. And the little ones are quickly caught again.

Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

Together we are strong ...

Now we are a few grams heavier ...

A Boka lean from stress. True burns stress occurs. :laugh:

Hm, by the way I'm surprised that only Boka defended the nest. Lui seems to be really off the nest and only appears for the handover of food.
Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

Hm, I forgot to ask how deeply the eggs are buried? Our dear Beringer had been looking for it ... I suppose. :puzzled:

Hellem wrote: June 4th, 2020, 7:03 pm 19:01 The chicks are waiting for the ringing and kissing 8-)
No kisses ... there was only jewelry. :unsure: :rolleyes:

:rotf:
Indian proverb
Hellem

Post by Hellem »

Polly, sorry, it's my poor English, 19:01 The chicks are waiting for the ringing and are kissing :blush:(btw, it was very fun :laugh: )

:wave:
Marbzy

Post by Marbzy »

Polly wrote: June 4th, 2020, 5:07 pmI obviously missed an important event. :help: I rewound the same evening and found the chicks sleeping from '51 to '52
Oops, I'm very sorry, I meant 21:29 (1 June) and was referring to one of your pictures actually. Apologies.

The ringing was interesting to follow though I can't help feeling for the chicks (and in this case for Mom, too) whenever I chance to watch a ringing. I'd like to be absolutely sure these events leave no psychological mark (whether temporary or permanent) on birds subject to ringing/banding/tagging etc.

Keep up the great work you do here, please :bow:
Polly

Post by Polly »

June 5th

Hellem, today there were many kisses again. :D :2thumbsup:

The little ones and Boka quickly calmed down again. Nobody in the nest looks restless (Marbzy :hi: ) ... the independence of almost teenagers continues to be worked on.

However, the cuddle principle still applies at night. Boka still watches over her chicks in the nest. :innocent:

I will now post some pictures a little more sensitively. I know that not all of us can stand every sight. Simply click on the relevant images to open them.
(on request)

Today there were lessons in self-service and how to make a prey ready to eat. So far, everything was bite-sized for the juniors - this should soon be over. :D

Boka chose a pigeon for this. I think ... even if my neck seemed a little long in a fade-in.

06:57 she lands with the prey on the nest edge. It is not touched yet.

Not much is fed at first. And again it is the younger chick that does not turn to the mother begging but cuts off bites independently.

Boka now starts plucking the bird.
Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

Little One is very interested and plucks something. While his older sibling prefers to train muscles ... and reaps a stern look from Boka. :whistling:

Both quickly lose interest and turn away. So Boka jumps on her branch and gives her chicks the food.
[img http://sjjs.de/hansbilder/images/8964St ... 203224.jpg /img]
Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

How do I start ...
[img http://sjjs.de/hansbilder/images/7628St ... 204302.jpg /img]

Soon I'll have it ... button eye joins.
[img http://sjjs.de/hansbilder/images/6217St ... 204355.jpg /img]

Full of zeal ...
[img http://sjjs.de/hansbilder/images/2731St ... 204425.jpg /img]
Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

While the younger chick is already working on a full stomach, the older one gnaws at the tail feathers somewhat awkwardly. :D
[img http://sjjs.de/hansbilder/images/9102St ... 205203.jpg /img]

The ambition is growing ...
[img http://sjjs.de/hansbilder/images/5779St ... 205235.jpg /img]

... and it seems as if they are performing a joy dance. :chick:
[img http://sjjs.de/hansbilder/images/8594St ... 205733.jpg /img]
Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

Little one can't let it go. It has decided that this feed is his. :laugh:
07:12

07:18

07:21 Boka decides to feed her chicks. and will be back on her branch soon ...

Have a nap with your head on the table. :slap: :rotf:
Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

11:59 :sleeping:

13:17 Boka was having trouble with crows again. :rolleyes: She flies through the picture first, followed by two crows.

16:58 Boka brings the next meal. A medium sized bird. She doesn't feed immediately. Boka looks nervous ...

Indian proverb

Return to “Goshawks”