Estonian Tawny Owl Webcam 2019

Tawny Owls and all the others
asteria

Re: Estonian Tawny Owl Webcam 2019

Post by asteria »

Now the same thing repeated in Wamel with white stork family. The female broke her leg and couldn't bring food, all the four storklets one by one died because they did not get enough food and people did nothing to save them. They only repeated the same mantras "it's nature, nature is tough, bla-bla-bla, if you don't like it, go to the Zoo". :banghead:
aquiline

Post by aquiline »

Shanta wrote: May 29th, 2019, 4:51 pm

The sentence "it is nature" ... I do not really like it. what is nature? Without intervention of people in any environment ... but has already been done with this nesting box, or not?

That's exactly what I am thinking. By installing the nesting box men are responsible and should help if help is needed. This suffering was completely needless.

Asteria, this is so sad!!! Tourists are saving stray cats and dogs from Spanish or Romanian streets. They spend money to take them with them to Germany. How these animals are living on the streets is not nature? So you may help???
But little storklets who cannot be fed by their mother is nature??? So you are not allowed to save their lives?
No, I cannot understand such attitude
Trine

Post by Trine »

This is so terribly sad.

I did not watch this cam and I read the thread only cursorily.
Were these owlets basically abandoned? If so, then there are organizations in Estonia that take care of wildlife, i.e injured animals and abandoned young, no matter if really abandoned or only "abandoned", and who state that every individual counts, whether or not an endangered species or useful for humans.

This is too late now but I wonder what they would have said. Is this case different because there was a webcam? A nestbox where it was "safe" to starve to death, instead of being killed by a raptor or predator?
Estonian Ornithological Society website also provides contacts to call if a person is convinced and sure that a young bird has been abandoned. That is, they encourage to seek help, and they do not write that let's nature take its course.

Interesting case, if I got it right. If not, I apologize.
Biker

Post by Biker »

i watched it.
I think as you.
I also always help if it is possible.
First i contact persons who have all knowledge what to do in each single case.
i regret that I did not want/could to intervene here. It was obviously no parent there to fed the chicks.
*Please don't feed the trolls!*
Shanta

Post by Shanta »

Here are the videos from 20. May

01:00 Calls, maybe there is a food delivery for the Owlet outside (per headphones think I could hear the chick, but it was far away)

04:26+04:41 The smallest Owlet seems to be weak, problems with standing

04:46 WARNING! Not for sensitiv viewers! Owlet kills sibling due to lack of food at 05:00
Shanta

Post by Shanta »

Video from 21. May

WARNING! Not for sensitiv viewers! So sad, even the last owlet dies because of lack of food at 08:35

Maggy xoxo

:cry: :wave:
sova

Post by sova »

I have not seen the nest for two years. Just read all her comments. I've never experienced it as bad as the year before.

Shanta ... thank you very much, just like Maggy, you invested a lot of time in this nest and it really was not that easy (feeling).
And thanks to Hellem.
Did not watch the videos (do not trust me.)

:wave:
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

New webcamera

Bird if the Year is the Nightjar. The topic is almost bare but Triin will give us more information soon.
viewtopic.php?p=662332#p662332
Eliaygee

Post by Eliaygee »

Hello people!
May I ask, what will be with the nest now? Will it be cleaned and prepared for next season?
Bea

Post by Bea »

°°°°

I suppose it will be cleaned and prepared for next breeding season short before it begins, about February/March 2020, as a matter of routine.
Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
Eliaygee

Post by Eliaygee »

Bea wrote: June 4th, 2019, 4:33 pm °°°°

I suppose it will be cleaned and prepared for next breeding season short before it begins, about February/March 2020, as a matter of routine.
Thank you, Bea.
Let new season be better :rolleyes:
aare

Post by aare »

my summary

asteria

Post by asteria »

After more than two weeks the fate of Klaara, Klaus and the only owlet who managed to leave the nest box is still unknown, nothing was written about it. We still don't know what happened to them, whether they are alive at all.
Carla

Post by Carla »

Beautyfull AARE, thank you !
moonfaerie

Post by moonfaerie »

When will this years 2020’s webcam be online? :unsure:
everything happens for a reason
Shanta

Post by Shanta »

It seems, no longer we can observe this cam and no owns like to answer :puzzled:
asteria

Post by asteria »

It seems to be a technical problem added this year. I sent a PM to Urmas about the cam and here is his answer:
In the place of Tawny Owl nest the closest cell phone tower was removed and we do not have good enough connection in place. No information, if the nest is occupied currently or if pair is still there.
Can't say for sure, but we try to get some possibility to install again this cam.
moonfaerie

Post by moonfaerie »

Oh dear, I hope they figure out some way to make it work 👍🏻 I miss those owlies!
everything happens for a reason
Shanta

Post by Shanta »

asteria wrote: March 20th, 2020, 4:30 pm It seems to be a technical problem added this year. I sent a PM to Urmas about the cam and here is his answer:
Thank you so much asteria :thumbs:
I wish Urmas would have informed the forum much earlier ... but it is as it is. Technical problem is one side also it's so sad not to know if the box is occupied.
I have watched this box for many years and as sad as the observation was last year, I miss Klaara & Klaus (maybe not the same owls all over the years :puzzled: but the name will stay)
asteria

Post by asteria »

While this camera is off I have been watching a very nice nestbox cam of barn owls, Val and Teco. All the four hatched owlets are growing up and doing fine. Hurry up, before they leave the nest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vc2qJrVTle8

Return to “Estonian Owl Webcam Forum”