Estonian White-tailed Sea Eagle Nest Camera 2021

Webcam Watching over White-tailed Eagles nest

Moderator: ame

Triin

Re: Estonian White-tailed Sea Eagle Nest Camera 2021

Post by Triin »

Autopsy confirmed that the cause of death for chicks was avian influenza H5N1 ("bird flu").
More information (only in Estonian at the moment): https://www.kotkas.ee/uudised/laeaenema ... linnugripp or https://www.emu.ee/et/ylikoolist/uudise ... innugripp/
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Susanne wrote: May 19th, 2021, 12:07 pm ...Let's see, if Liz01 manages to find out more with her zooming device!
Susanne :hi: :D
i was busy with other videos for a while. I totally miss this episode. so i have to download the stream, for good zoom i need good quality

the rings of the eagle are very dirty :slap: I can't read

11:19 Arrival ringed young eagle
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Triin wrote: May 19th, 2021, 12:20 pm Autopsy confirmed that the cause of death for chicks was avian influenza H5N1 ("bird flu").
More information (only in Estonian at the moment): https://www.kotkas.ee/uudised/laeaenema ... linnugripp or https://www.emu.ee/et/ylikoolist/uudise ... innugripp/
Thank you Triin for inform us! It's very sad. But I'm glad it wasn't poison caused by us humans.

Now I'm trying to read the Estonian article :laugh:
IceAge

Post by IceAge »

Triin, thank you for the information. I personally had not thought of bird flu at all.
The report is very interesting :thumbs: .
*Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.* Albert Einstein
Triin

Post by Triin »

Liz01 wrote: May 19th, 2021, 12:33 pm Thank you Trrin for inform us! It's very sad. But I'm glad it wasn't poison caused by us humans.

Now I'm trying to read the Estonian article :laugh:
We will translate it into English, but it takes some time. As this was already posted by some newspaper I thought I'll share it in Estonian at least.
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

Thank you Triin and Kotkaklubi for the article! It is very well translatable from Estonian to Finnish, a good view of the dangerous virus that goes through water birds - so it is a threat to all raptors, especially for White Tail Eagles - and possibly even for humans. I hope the parents will survive it.
Liinuskainen

Post by Liinuskainen »

Thank you for doing the study. Sad, but consoling to hear the reason. I hope that the parents survive.
sova

Post by sova »

Thank you very much, Trine, Triin ... just sad. :sad:
I hope the * parents * are fine.

Hellem, thanks for watching! :2thumbsup:
Triin

Post by Triin »

Owlie wrote: May 19th, 2021, 12:38 pm Thank you Triin and Kotkaklubi for the article! It is very well transalatable from Estonian to Finnish, a good view of the dangerous virus that goes through water birds - so it is a threat to all raptors, especially for White Tail Eagles. I hope the parents will survive it.
And thanks to Estonian University of Life Sciences and dr Madis Leivits as well. For the analysis and for the text as well.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

provided by Triin
Autopsy confirmed that the cause of death for chicks was avian influenza H5N1 ("bird flu").

GT:
Press release of the Estonian University of Life Sciences (19.05.2021)

... An autopsy performed at the Estonian University of Life Sciences revealed that the eagle chicks died as a result of the H5N1 bird flu.

According to veterinarian Madis Leivits, who determined the cause of death, the eagle chicks were infected with an aggressive strain of bird flu that has not been encountered in Estonia before. H5N1 is a highly contagious and dangerous strain of bird flu that is known to infect mammals, including humans.

Man's desire to experience nature as closely as possible is natural. For a long time now, one such option has been real-time nest cameras, which can be used to experience the joys and sorrows of families with birds without interruption. According to scientists, nature cameras actually have a much broader function, helping us to understand the life and needs of animals in nature, through which we can better co-exist in a common living environment.

The white tailed eagles nest camera located in Matsalu National Park and installed by MTÜ Kotkaklubi is extremely popular both in Estonia and abroad. All the joyous events took place on April 28 and 30, when the eagle chicks hatched. The newborns were cared for by adult birds, offering them a variety of food (fish, game carcasses and waterfowl).

Last week, however, the nest was hit by an accident: the chicks suddenly became powerless and died on consecutive days at the age of about two weeks. The case raised many questions among nest camera watchers and bird researchers, so it was decided to investigate the cause of the chicks' deaths further. MTÜ Kotkaklubi, Estonian University of Life Sciences and the Environmental Board coordinated the collection of dead chicks and remains from the nest and the transport to Tartu by the Institute of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Husbandry of the EEC.

According to veterinarian Leivits, at the initial examination, the older son (EE1) had a rather large lump between his beak and throat (parts ingested with undigested food are usually vomited out). The pellet, which consisted mainly of hay, was also in the throat of the smaller eagle chick (EE2). Whether this is normal, we do not yet know, Leivits said.

The necropsy found that most of the tissues in the bodies of the dead were altered. The organs were fluffy and abnormally colored. Bruises from various tissues could also be found, and the lungs were filled with mucous-foaming foam.

Primary samples tested positive for family A influenza virus. To confirm and type the finding, a sample of the lungs was sent to the Veterinary and Food Laboratory, where the H5N1 avian influenza virus was confirmed.

The disease probably reached the nest with waterfowl, which were used as food by the eagles. Waterfowl are also a natural reservoir for influenza, Leivits noted, confirming that this is a natural process in nature and that diseases are also part of nature. "This strain of influenza has not been encountered in Estonia before, which does not mean that it has not occurred in our nature before," said Leivits.

He hoped that the adult birds, which ate the same food as the eagle chicks, would be able to recover from the disease and be able to weave their nests again next year and raise their young.

Avian influenza H5N1 is also important from a human health perspective. Namely, the virus has the ability to spread and adapt quickly, overcoming barriers between species, including humans and other mammals. "This finding reminds us of caution and the fact that incompetent intervention can endanger our own health."

The spread of diseases plays an important role in humans through their activities in the environment, directly by transporting viruses or by changing the living environment, as a result of which pathogens spread more successfully or the resistance of animals is inhibited.

https://www.kotkas.ee/uudised/laeaenema ... linnugripp
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

Triin wrote: May 19th, 2021, 12:46 pm And thanks to Estonian University of Life Science and dr Madis Leivits as well. For the analysis and for the text as well.
Indeed, thanks for reminding - big thanks to them! :thumbs:
sova

Post by sova »

Triin wrote: May 19th, 2021, 12:46 pm And thanks to Estonian University of Life Sciences and dr Madis Leivits as well. For the analysis and for the text as well.
of course :blush: .... also a big thank you from me! :2thumbsup:
ame

Post by ame »

thank you for the news Triin and Liz for the translation!

this was much worse than i could anticipate. :slap:
i hope that the parents are strong enough to resist the flu and recover. i suppose that the chicks has lower resistance and were more susceptible to the virus because they were so small.
Triin

Post by Triin »

Liz01 wrote: May 19th, 2021, 12:47 pm
Thank you Liz!
Just a note. There are some specific terms in the text that google translate might get wrong. We'll do "an official" translation with the help of Madis as well, but it'll take some time.
Sabsy

Post by Sabsy »

Triin wrote: May 19th, 2021, 12:20 pm Autopsy confirmed that the cause of death for chicks was avian influenza H5N1 ("bird flu").
Thank you Triin

Thanks also to Dr. Madis Leivits

unfortunately we now have certainty.
As bad as it is, I really hope Eve and Eerik survive.
I was able to read the report well translated into German.
Trine

Post by Trine »

14.00 the eaglet left the nest.
handbyl

Post by handbyl »

And my thoughts are about the person who collected the chicks and food remains - I hope he is fine and that the virus was deactivated in the samples. Should only have been reactive in living water fowl, right?

Pretty sobering news.
ame

Post by ame »

i think that this eaglet was not the same as the one whom we saw earlier. they looked the same age though, 4th CY. this eaglet had thick ankles so this could be a girl. she had more dark in her beak than the eaglet a few days ago.

the beak is not very big though. :puzzled:

could the nest remain contaminated so that the visitors on the nest might catch the avian flu virus? :shock:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Triin wrote: May 19th, 2021, 1:27 pm Thank you Liz!
Just a note. There are some specific terms in the text that google translate might get wrong. We'll do "an official" translation with the help of Madis as well, but it'll take some time.

Triin, Unfortunately, I'm always a little impatient. It is a miracle that I have a reasonably meaningful translation. But it was clear that there would be mistakes. Estonian is not easy to translate
I will correct it as soon as the original is available.

I used your link and my translation for a video on YT. Many have been waiting impatiently for the result. I hope its OK? Video is, as always, with details of the sources including a link to the original.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

ame wrote: May 19th, 2021, 2:29 pm i think that this eaglet was not the same as the one whom we saw earlier. they looked the same age though, 4th CY. this eaglet had thick ankles so this could be a girl. she had more dark in her beak than the eaglet a few days ago. ..
her voice sounded like a girl :mrgreen:

viewtopic.php?p=801729#p801729

BTW: did you notice the ringed eagle together with her in the nest? I can not read the ring- Zoom doesn't help either

Return to “White-tailed Eagles Camera Forum”