Moderator: ame

Hellem

Re: Estonian White-tailed Sea Eagle Nest Camera 2021

Post by Hellem »

11:02 Two elk are walking :D
11:09 The young visitor flies suddenly away :laugh:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

11:05 He seems very pleased with Eerik and Eve's pantry. He's already eating again
11:08 the Juvie took another fish

11:09 visit is over- he suddenly flew away

Trine

Post by Trine »

Hellem wrote: May 16th, 2021, 11:04 am 11:02 Two elk are walking :D
Three altogether :laugh: The third came to sight at 11.04.
Marfo

Post by Marfo »

Owlie wrote: May 15th, 2021, 9:57 pm It is hardly a question of practical realization but an ethic principle matter. [... ]
here the natural life is respected as itself - the cams are meant for observation for those who wish to learn of the nature - not for treating wild animals as we treat domestic pets or as if we humans owned the wild creatures. [...]
- but the nature doesn't always work according to degenerated human wishes. - Do we want to learn of it or interfere just because we can? A sad outcome in a cam nest can learn us something for the future - what we could take into consideration in our everyday life, what to consume, what to choose for our own convenience, how to protect environment - in relation to our wild animal fellows.
Well said Owlie! I couldn't agree more... :nod:
Liinuskainen

Post by Liinuskainen »

ame wrote: May 16th, 2021, 10:52 am i agree. probably 3rd winter = 4 Calendar Years (4CY) from 2018. a male i think.
he is not quite a baby any more. :D

btw: a "teenager" eagle in this plumage looks in a way sooo embarrassing. :mrgreen:
My facebook memories just showed me this from 2018. Happy times...

https://flic.kr/ps/3Wz7k5
Trine

Post by Trine »

13.58 distant eagles' calls.
aperitif

Post by aperitif »

Owlie wrote: May 15th, 2021, 9:57 pm ... - the cams are meant for observation for those who wish to learn of the nature - not for treating wild animals as we treat domestic pets or as if we humans owned the wild creatures. Our wishes for happy outcome for all animals is certainly common to us all - but the nature doesn't always work according to degenerated human wishes. - Do we want to learn of it or interfere just because we can?
Exactly, Owlie. It was clear that this discussion had to come up as always if something like this occurs.
But it should be common sense to respect nature and not to interfere - there should not be different opinions on this, especially in this forum. I have already expressed my concerns about the behaviour of some people in this forum in past years. As a psychologist I just analyze and I can say that some of you have problems dealing with emotions, some of you are overwhelmed by emotions and should rather have a therapy than following live streams like this one. If you think humans should interfere, how do you justify that there are so many nests in the world without constant observation? Is the life of a chick in a not observed nest less worth to be saved than a chick in a nest under observation? I know that some of you might not be happy with my clear words and I have not illusion that some of you will act the same way in the future again but perhaps some of you will think about it.
Trine

Post by Trine »

aperitif wrote: May 16th, 2021, 2:24 pm But it should be common sense to respect nature and not to interfere - there should not be different opinions on this, especially in this forum.
This intervention-thing is not black and white. For instance, when an eaglet fell from the nest (nothing to do with human agency!), eagle men went to look for them. In one case, the eaglet (Rahu) was not find; in the second case, the eaglet (Knips) was found, taken care of, and then released. These are only two examples.

Discussion (and difference of opinions) must be allowed. Among other things, it is educational. It feeds progress (in thinking).
aperitif wrote: May 16th, 2021, 2:24 pm As a psychologist I just analyze and I can say that some of you have problems dealing with emotions, some of you are overwhelmed by emotions and should rather have a therapy than following live streams like this one.
Statements like this may not be consistent with the forum rules.
I would say that this time the discussion of intervention has been restrained and polite. Very interesting papers were presented, by the way.
aperitif wrote: May 16th, 2021, 2:24 pm Is the life of a chick in a not observed nest less worth to be saved than a chick in a nest under observation?
Psychologically or philosophically, it's easy to understand, isn't it? When a person sees a creature struggling for their life, the person feels obliged to do something about it. It's human, it's cultural. I see - I must react. I do not see - it's not my business. The question is not about the worthiness of different lives.

Note that this is a description of how it works. Should or should not one act according to this urge is a different thing.
But simply telling people to stop feeling and/or thinking this way because it is wrong is not helpful.
Trine

Post by Trine »

15.22 an eagle and a raven have an argument (somewhere far)?
15.28 eagle calls, at least two eagles.
sova

Post by sova »

Hello everyone :hi:
aperitif wrote: May 16th, 2021, 2:24 pm ...
We have now read more than once that you are a psychologist .... We are in the forum and not on the chair or on the rubber, in your practice.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

15:28 adult is calling from far.. or two?
ame

Post by ame »

i would like to remind that this topic is an observational topic, and the subject of our observations should be the events taking place in the nest camera, not the characteristics of our fellow members.

i want this "analysis" stop right now.

aperitif, i would like you to "clean up" your post to a more friendly tone as soon as possible.

after that i wish that those of you who quoted the post by aperitif would edit their own posts accordingly, too.

edit (many days later): aperitif has not yielded to my wishes. therefore i have now locked his/her post as an example of an undesirable way to write here.
sova

Post by sova »

ame wrote: May 16th, 2021, 3:47 pm ...
after that i wish that those of you who quoted the post by aperitif would edit their own posts accordingly, too.
Dear ame ... you can delete my post if you want. I have nothing to change.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

16:31 eagle female voice can be heard :D
ame

Post by ame »

Sova, your post is ok. there is no need to change it as far as i can see.
thanks Liz! :hi:

i ask you all not to comment or quote aperitif's post any further. let's forget it as if it were never written.
Bleggi

Post by Bleggi »

A big thank you to Gunnar for climbing the tree and taking the babies and stuff around to see what happened with the little ones. Just when I opened the cam I saw him starting. I am really very thankful.
The work to find out on a special place will cost some money. I would like to know if I can send a donation to help and where I can send it from Germany.
Good luck - Bleggi :hi:
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

Bleggi wrote: May 16th, 2021, 9:55 pm A big thank you to Gunnar for climbing the tree and taking the babies and stuff around to see what happened with the little ones. Just when I opened the cam I saw him starting. I am really very thankful.
The work to find out on a special place will cost some money. I would like to know if I can send a donation to help and where I can send it from Germany.
Good luck - Bleggi :hi:
Here you can find the information to do it:
https://www.looduskalender.ee/forum/vie ... 57#p483657
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

May 17

good morning everyone :hi:

the camera stopped yesterday evening

8:26 the camera is working :2thumbsup:

the fish is still there
ATbirder

Post by ATbirder »

The yesterday visiting WTE (4th calendar year) could not be a former eaglet of this particular nest, returning? A more general question, maybe answered in the past, the eaglets are usually not ringed ("banded") before they fledge in this cam nest?
Thank You Kotkaklubi for all the work & effort!

Martin
Triin

Post by Triin »

ATbirder wrote: May 17th, 2021, 12:59 pm The yesterday visiting WTE (4th calendar year) could not be a former eaglet of this particular nest, returning? A more general question, maybe answered in the past, the eaglets are usually not ringed ("banded") before they fledge in this cam nest?
Thank You Kotkaklubi for all the work & effort!

Martin
Not very likely, but who knows. The chicks haven't been ringed in this nest for the last 5 years. We have ringed 23 eaglets out of 29 in this nest and 10 have been seen later. We're following this nest for the first year.

Very few WTE eagles are ringed in Estonia nowadays. Just to give some perspective about the number (data from 2020 survey):
WTE population size: 290-330 pairs
Number of survey nests: 140
Successful nests in survey: 90 (success rate 64%)
Total number of eaglets in survey nests: 131
Total number of eaglets ringed: 10

Return to “White-tailed Eagles Camera Forum”