Grey Seal Webcam Forum 2011

A webcam viewing seals and their pups, on Saaremaa.
Kitty KCMO

Re: Grey Seal Webcam Forum 2011

Post by Kitty KCMO »

alice44 wrote:Those ice chunks definitely made me think of the swans I saw earlier today -- they were in sunlight but against a grey sky.

I wonder if perhaps the seals spend more time on floating ice than on the shore -- when there is ice.
They probably do, but I hope they can & do still come to the shore at least some ofthe time so we can see them better. I want to see the pups when they are born.
Kitty KCMO
alice44

Post by alice44 »

The beach is so barren! I finally saw a bird fly by but I was too busy watching to click -- and again there is a peeking seal.
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

Wow, look at how the snow ridge is lighted up now.
Kitty KCMO
alice44

Post by alice44 »

:gathering:
My thought was wow look at that glow.
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

I couldn't find the screen shot I took at first, but now I did & here it is. :D

Kitty KCMO
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

With open water, the eagles must still come by sometimes. Unless the cold drove them farther south.

Edit, 10:20-- OOF! :shock: The wind is beginning to howl. I had to turn the volume down.
Kitty KCMO
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Mine was a little later and had a little less glow

And now it is looking so stormy

And I was watching something out there -- maybe ducks rather than seals. I really cannot tell
alice44

Post by alice44 »

I have been noticing that the wind is really cooling me off.
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

The wind has stirred up the water, even the smooth slushy areas, so it is hard to tell if I see seal heads or wave shadows. Things change so quickly on the beach.
Kitty KCMO
ame

Post by ame »

good morning! :hi:
lovely morning pictures! thank you. :thumbs: now it has become a bit more gloomy. the sun must be covered by clouds but there is ome open sky in the North from where the wind is blowing. no-one there, just a seal every now and then popping its head out of the water. -it seems to me that the ice is growing out of the shore...

how glad i am to have been wrong yesterday about the camera not turning on... :laugh:
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

:hi: Hi, Ame, happy new year! The seal cam seem to have a mind of its own, turning on when the whim is right, & stubbornly staying off if it decides to have a holiday! But today is lovely, even if windy at the moment. It was fairly peaceful earlier.
Kitty KCMO
alice44

Post by alice44 »

ame, I think a little pessimism might be good for the camera and its power unit.
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

Yeah, maybe it likes to spite us by doing the opposite of what we say it might do. :laugh:

The wind seems to be blowing lots of small ice chunks toward shore. (KInd of hard to see in this shot, but obvious on full screen of computer.)

Kitty KCMO
alice44

Post by alice44 »

And now more light again.

and it got even brighter

and now I am :offtobed:

:wave:
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

The morning is getting brighter again. And the wind is not quite so strong.

I must log off now, it is nearly 3:00 AM for me. :rolleyes: But it is now so beautiful, I am reluctant! Enjoy the wonderful beach today while the cam gives us a good view! Perhaps eagles will come by, or seals may get on shore. I hope so. Goodnight / good day, everyone. I am :offtobed:.
Kitty KCMO
ame

Post by ame »

Kitty KCMO wrote::hi: Hi, Ame, happy new year! The seal cam seem to have a mind of its own, turning on when the whim is right, & stubbornly staying off if it decides to have a holiday! But today is lovely, even if windy at the moment. It was fairly peaceful earlier.
happy new year Kitty! :hi:
it seems that this time of the year the power unit is so lazy that it takes two or three days off before working for a day again... :D
i'm sure it'll get better when the days grow longer and there'll be more sunlight.

Alice: i'm a born pessimist i guess... :mrgreen: and that way there would be one camera less to follow. :whistling:

in this clip there was one seal climbing on one of the blocks of ice that are floating there. i wonder how it managed to do it. the blocks must be extremely slippery and that block was so small that i'd think that it would roll around when someone tried to climb on it. but the seal got there. :nod:
ame

Post by ame »

there was about half a meter of wing flashing on the left side of the view! it had to be an eagle landing on the left. i heard no sound, but it's got to be there... unless it walked away...

blaahhh... it was just a crow. it flew away from there. :faint: :mrgreen:
alice44

Post by alice44 »

I did not sleep so I peeked back the seals are floating by and they seem to be having fun

To me the seals seemed to be sliding across peeking over and sliding off and I thought they seemed to be having fun.

Oh my and now more seals are floating by and I can see the ice moving up and down in the swells and it makes me feel sea sick!
venegor

Post by venegor »

Seals drift on an ice floe
alice44

Post by alice44 »

venegor -- that was the ice that was moving up and down. It looked just like a tiny boat in big waves. But I really thought the seals liked it.

Return to “Grey Seal Webcam Forum”