Grey Seal Webcam on Vilsandi, Estonia 2013

A webcam viewing seals and their pups, on Saaremaa.
Shanta

Re: Grey Seal Webcam on Vilsandi, Estonia

Post by Shanta »

:hi: ame,

think you're as hungry as I on this cam :whistling:
The observation is no longer enough by lighter and plants of waiting to repair this cam, we're hungry for eagles, seals, swan family and so on.
And therefore, we are looking for the connection to the Eagle now and what they like to feed :laugh:. But boiled greyfish I guess not :puzzled:
This little red thing in the middle is perhaps a small and fresh boiled greyfish :whistling:
18:30
airras

Post by airras »

SATURDAY 19 OCTOBER
good morning to all. :hi:
the camera work, strong wind :shake:
8:00
Dima дима.

Post by Dima дима. »

elevate a camera on the shore!!!!!!!! :rant:
vaino

Post by vaino »

Yes, Dima ! Operators, please lift the camera so we can see the sea and the birds!!!
Katinka

Post by Katinka »

Hello :wave: to all who are staying addicted :shock: to the Vilsandi momentarily "ground" cam...
What an unusual situation to have such a short-distance view! I am always stunned in the last weeks of what kind of observations one can make. Great, folks :nod: !
So I was thinking about writing a mail to Ivar Jüssi who was/is the main activist behind the seal observation project from 2009 on - he obviously will be the one who has to realize an expedition to this far-from-civilisation-place.
I decided not to do because Mr. LK is informed about the status from the beginning on in September. But some of the members who are posting continuous observations here and feel worried can take up contact.
Ivar also is on Facebook (me not).
Apart of that I am really concerned about that long period (more than 4 weeks now) after the incidence with the eagle on the camera installation pole. But everybody can imagine that this site in the very West of all Estonian islands is not easy to get to...
And to calm you down: there have been several times in the past that the cam didn't work.
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

I am sure the "putting back the camera into the proper position rescue party" is planned. Going to this place is not that easy, as we know from previous years and we have to be patient.
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
ame

Post by ame »

Sunday October 20th

the camera is taking a day off... :sleep:
i also took at the weather now and the forecast for the upcoming weak. now it seems to be a fine day as the wind is not hard, though it is cloudy.

... but the forecast looks much rougher. it does not look very promising as boating weather: the wind speeds are hard. :shock:

i think like Felis, that we need to be patient. :nod:
a camera here is not worth risking anyone's life at stormy sea. :unsure:
Riitta

Post by Riitta »

ame wrote:
i think like Felis, that we need to be patient. :nod:
a camera here is not worth risking anyone's life at stormy sea. :unsure:
Hallo, Felis silvestris and ame,

I agree with your opinion, it is natural, that the security of every single person rank first!
Everybody of us must wait - up to the repair is possible without danger.
ame

Post by ame »

Tuesday October 22nd

3rd day in a row while the camera is sleeping........

:sleep: :sleep: :sleep:
Bea

Post by Bea »

The cam was online for some time yesterday - I took this pic at 13:34 .... because the red leafed plant showed up in a nice wreath :laugh: .... but pics are not very sharp :unsure:

Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Wednesday 23 October

:wave:

The cam is on and the wind is strong.
ame

Post by ame »

so it is. :D
thanks Bea for the picture from Monday. :thumbs: i've only peaked once or twice a day so i missed that.

it's so cloudy today that the light is so evenly spread and does not make any shadows. in this lighting the Blue Thing looks exactly like a BIC lighter.

only the red button is missing. maybe that is why it is here: it got broken. :mrgreen:

just wind....
airras

Post by airras »

good afternoon to all. :hi:
ummmmm .... Clearly I have a lighter, which I have not so clear is it a "BIC" I think it's rather this model, but also head blue....jijijijiji :whistling:

alice44

Post by alice44 »

When they fix the cam (next weekend she suggests hopefully) maybe they will collect this blue thing and report back on it.

A nice clear shot of the round thing that may be flowering would be nice too.
ame

Post by ame »

yes, also i should like to have a clear picture of those plants in front of the camera, preferably with identifications. :D
the red round thing looks like a collar that is sometimes put to decorate a candle. :rolleyes:
(i don't know what they are called in English..? :puzzled: )

today it's terribly windy! :shock:
...but sunny, at least at the moment. :rolleyes:
ame

Post by ame »

October 25th

the camera is sleeping today.... :sleep:
Shanta

Post by Shanta »

alice44 wrote:When they fix the cam (next weekend she suggests hopefully) maybe they will collect this blue thing and report back on it
:hi: alice44,
don't know from were you have this info...
all my best wishes :nod: for the crew and let as hope for successful action :2thumbsup:

... and too, many thanks for all pics of animalwatchers in this forum. At the moment I've unfortunately no time for forums, but sometimes must read comments :whistling:
ame

Post by ame »

October 26th

the camera is still sleeping.... :sleep:

Shanta :hi:
my guess is that Alice "quoted" her own thought when she wrote "she": she herself is 'suggesting' that this weekend might be a good time to go and fix the camera. - maybe, i don't know. :dunno: i suppose mostly the timing of the rescue trip depends on the weather.

today's weather doesn't look very bad: +10 degrees with wind speed 7.5 m/s from SW. that's not awful hard... precipitation (rain) is zero but i think it must mean "no data", not "no rain", because this number has always been zero when i have looked. humidity is 99% which means that it is probably raining. wind is relatively hard: 7.5 m/s from SW.

the forecast shows that the wind will be getting harder and a real STORM is expected on Wednesday: 27 m/s!! :shock:

http://www.weather.ee/vilsandi/
Shanta

Post by Shanta »

...aha
ame thanks for reply :wave:
Thus it is said continue to patiently wait what happens with this cam and I'm going to do :nod:
but I miss this cam, the swan family, seals and eagles.
This is my first year in animalwatching and I'm trying to absorb everything.
Many greetings to you and LK (don't know how to say, but with translator :puzzled: ) huge opportunity an unknown for me animal world to follow.
Greetings Shanta
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Yes Shanta, as ame said I was just being hopeful. Thinking positive thoughts in hopes of getting our wonderful cam back.

Return to “Grey Seal Webcam Forum”