Black Stork Nest 2, Jan and Janika, 2021

Cameras Watching over Black Storks nest
Anne7

Re: Black Stork Nest 2, 2021

Post by Anne7 »

:hi: Hello everyone!

If all goes well, the first (2) egg(s) will probably hatch around June 13-15.
Adding a (reasonable, but still not optimal) period of 80-85 days on the nest, I calculate September 3-8 as the earliest possible departure date. It will be a close call, but not entirely impossible, I hope.
Provided, of course, that there will be enough food available until the beginning of September.
:unsure:

http://www.looduskalender.ee/forum/view ... c2#p797770

What else can we do but hope for the best?

The day after tomorrow, there will probably be a 3th egg.
Which will not make the situation any easier...
And even a fourth egg is quite possible…

We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope.
Martin Luther King Jr
“Clearly, animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.”
— Irene Pepperberg
Bibibu

Post by Bibibu »

Solo wrote: May 8th, 2021, 8:30 am :hi: Bibibu, to me it is like aero :puzzled:

Hallo Solo,
Okeeee.....who knows what my ears heard there :rolleyes:
Solo

Post by Solo »

15.04 female is here, short preening, mating,
preening (both) and male out at 15.07

Bibibu

Post by Bibibu »

Hello everyone,

now I was a few days not in chat and behold 2 eggs.
Solo

Post by Solo »

some nest work, something caught her attention and she sat down to incubate (15.09)

Solo

Post by Solo »

15.17 she stand up, nest aerating,
she moves the moss and back incubating (at 15.21)

Solo

Post by Solo »

Bibibu wrote: May 14th, 2021, 3:45 pm
:hi: Bibibu,
very probably in the night we heard the aeros, in the day time I heard some time dog/s (maybe) and anything like saw
but the best sounds here are the singing of various birds and the murmur of the forest :headroll:
:wave:
Solo

Post by Solo »

Bibibu wrote: May 14th, 2021, 4:14 pmHello everyone, now I was a few days not in chat and behold 2 eggs.
- the first egg the females on both nests laid on the night of May 11/12
- and other eggs are usually laid at two-day intervals
- the second egg the females on both nests laid on the night of May 13/14
- black storks laid 3-5 eggs, chicks hatch after a hatching period of 30-38 days (in Estonia usually at the end of May!)

prof. M. Starzds wrote to the Latvian nest in Sigulda (the same/similar situation is here)
"The earliest date when the first egg could be laid (according to what we know so far) is 9 or 10 May. Eggs take 32+ days to hatch, chicks approximately 90 days to leave the nest, let's assume 88 for ease of counting. So 120 days from the 1st egg, or converted September 10, until the expected departure date. This IS still possible, and there have been cases, although it is not known how successful they have been." (https://www.facebook.com/DzivibasLidoju ... 9372773289)

btw. "In 28th september Audapoeg started its journey to south to follow bigger brother which left in 11th of September. Already in 7 Oct Audapoeg was predated most probably by White-tailed Eagle." Its father Auda went to migration if there were quite small chicks in the nest. (birdmap info)
Sabsy

Post by Sabsy »

Anne7 wrote: May 14th, 2021, 3:43 pm
Thank you Anne :loveshower:
there is no better way to write it and very fitting quotes.
I hope the best with all of you.

Many greetings Sabsy :wave:
Solo

Post by Solo »

15.44 female stand up, defecating, nest working, 15.46 back incubating

16.05 the next aerating, pooping, she ruffled her feathers, rearranged some moss and straw, digging and back incubating (at 16.12)

Bibibu

Post by Bibibu »

Solo wrote: May 14th, 2021, 5:03 pm ....
Hello Solo,

hopefully everything works out well.

And thank you for your report.
Solo

Post by Solo »

little nope, but she often shakes her head

after yawning she stand up and works in nest bowl (very short), back incubating (at 16.20?)
Solo

Post by Solo »

and our female stand up, preening, work with/in nest-bowl and back incubating

while preening

she stand up and the same scenario -back incubating
the moss she regularly moves around
Solo

Post by Solo »

resting

at 17.16 male is back :-), short preening (both) and female out at 17.17

male: long preening, some digging and settled down on the eggs at 17.21.01

streaming stopped :bow:
Solo

Post by Solo »

Bibibu wrote: May 14th, 2021, 5:25 pmhopefully everything works out well. And thank you for your report.
I am not a pessimist, but based on the opinions of experts and my own knowledge, I am a realist

As emphasized by prof. P. Zieliński they need not only to fly out from the nest happily (not left by the adults and well fed), but also to strengthen outside the nest (some weeks) and find the (right) company for a challenging journey. Miracles happen some times, I hope that it will be case also for the future (very late) chicks on these two nest.
(and there are other several very important aspects, but that would be too long contribution)

Bibibu, you're welcome
:wave:
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

Solo wrote: May 14th, 2021, 6:15 pm I am not a pessimist, but based on the opinions of experts and my own knowledge, I am a realist

As emphasized by prof. P. Zieliński they need not only to fly out from the nest happily (not left by the adults and well fed), but also to strengthen outside the nest (some weeks) and find the (right) company for a challenging journey. Miracles happen some times, I hope that it will be case also for the future (very late) chicks on these two nest.
(and there are other several very important aspects, but that would be too long contribution)
Solo :hi: , could you please post the link (the source), where prof. P. Zieliński emphasises that:
1. Storklets need to strengthen outside the nest (for some weeks)
2. Storklets need to find the (right) company for their first journey

It looks as if prof. Zieliński and prof. Maris Strazds (+ Wolfgang Fiedler + Hans-Günther Bauer) disagree on this matter. :puzzled:
I would really like to read what prof. P. Zieliński wrote about it.

Maris Strazds (Laboratory of Ornithology, Latvia) and two other scientists (Max Planck Institute, Germany) wrote this:

What Makes a Successful Migrant?
Lessons from a Five Year Tracking Project of a Long Distance Migratory Species

Maris STRAZDS1, Wolfgang FIEDLER2 and Hans-Günther BAUER2
1 Laboratory of Ornithology, Institute of Biology, University of Latvia, Latvia
2 Max Planck Institute of Ornithology, Germany

“In 2013-2017 we have tracked 27 juvenile Black Storks Ciconia nigra with GSM transmitters from Latvia (NE Europe). Contrary to many migratory species, Black Stork is a solitary traveller. Juvenile birds during their first migration from northern Europe to trans-Saharan Africa must rely upon the resources they received at the nesting site and experience they gain during migration. Our data suggest that two domestic factors might have a significant impact on their migratory success - body weight and longevity of stay in nest (time spent on the nest). Early departure from the nest is strongly associated with migratory failure, so highlighting potential negative impact of late season disturbances in the vicinity of nests. Most successful birds left their nests late and started the southward migration straight from the nest. Typical migration consists of comparatively short bursts of flight days interspersed with longish foraging stops along their long journey - the longest one from our data exceeding 10,500 km one way. The most important factor affecting success of travel appears to be longevity of stay at the most important foraging stops rather than number of sites they explore. Those birds that made a backward migration visited most of the sites they had explored earlier, however, with different travel routes between the stops. None of one-year old birds did return to breeding grounds. Instead, they spent their second summer in suitable territories 1,000 – 2,000 km from their nests (in Turkey, Romania, Moldova, Ukraine). In all but one of those territories checked we found many more resting storks, mostly of similar age, along with other species of wading birds. In most cases these sites were not known for local ornithologists / conservationists as important bird gatherings. One of such locations in Romania may potentially be the most important summer roost of 2nd calendar year Black Storks from Eastern Europe, thus deserving high degree of attention from the conservation viewpoint. We discuss also other factors potentially affecting migration success, such as late vs. early brooding, weather conditions, role of predators and learning "en route".”

Source: http://forestiersdumonde.org/wp-content ... t-Book.pdf
VII INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON BLACK STORK Ciconia nigra
Part 4. Movements, Tracking, Ringing & Migration of Black Stork, page 34
Edit: prof. P. ZIELINSKY also participated in that conference.

They all seem to agree that the better a storklet is fed (i.e. well fed by its parents for a long time at the nest) the greater the chance of a successful migration. This is, of course, logical.

I know there are pictures of BS flying in a (mixed) flock, or BS looking for food in the same place, during migration.
Personally, I like to compare it to this: imagine that many individual people from many countries want to attend a congress in Istanbul. The closer they get to destination, the more likely they are to be on the same train (or in the same restaurants) with other attendees. Yet they are all travelling independently.

Thanks in advance. :wave:
“Clearly, animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.”
— Irene Pepperberg
Solo

Post by Solo »

stream is back :D (21:12:43)

male stand up at 21:25:18, male - preening, female - digging and incubating (21:26:14)
Bibibu

Post by Bibibu »

The husband is annoying, wife has gotten up several times, but as soon as she lies down, the care starts again and she does not like it at all :rant: :D

But as soon as she gets up, he cleans himself.
Solo

Post by Solo »

preening in black and white

Solo

Post by Solo »

female stand up, pooping, digging and back incubating

and the male thoroughly preens the female further and further

Return to “Black Stork Camera Forum”