Black Stork Nest 2, Jan and Janika, 2021

Cameras Watching over Black Storks nest
Solo

Re: Black Stork Nest 2, 2021

Post by Solo »

Triin wrote: April 16th, 2021, 12:39 pm
only male storks sing ;-) (Dr. Māris Stradzs and also our observations)

Triin, thanx for the link :hi:
Solo

Post by Solo »

GT (few corrections)

This year, black storks' nests have two cameras in Estonia, one in Karula National Park and the other in Jõgeva County. We are watching the Jõgeva County nest (must-toonekurg2 = black stork2) for the first time.

The breeding territory of black storks in Jõgeva County has been known since the beginning of the 1990s, when there were successful nesting for several years - for example, in 1998 and 1999 three chicks were able to fly, in 2000 and 2001 the nesting failed (chicks died). The last time the nest site was inhabited in 2004, when the black stork Tooni, the star of Estonia's first nest camera, nested there. The camera was already located in Tooni's new nest almost 8 km away. Read more about what happened in the black stork's nest camera here https://www.kotkas.ee/klubi/must-toonekure-kaamera.

After the departure of the Tooni, the observed nest site remained uninhabited for fifteen years (as far as we know). During the monitoring of the black storks in 2020, it became clear that the storks have re-used the old artificial nest and successfully nested on the half-decomposed nest. Considering the very bad condition of the black stork in Estonia, the resettlement of the old place was a big surprise. In the early spring of 2021, we built a new nest base instead of a decaying nest and installed a camera with an infrared sensor on it.

The nest owner first arrived at the nest on the late evening of April 10. He has no rings, his gender is not known to us. We will definitely know this only when the other stork arrives. Hopefully this will happen in the coming days. Black storks usually start laying eggs in April and the chicks hatch in the second half of May.

At the nest, we use a camera with night vision and a microphone made by Omar. The camera is located on the trunk of a neighbouring tree, about 4 meters from the nest. The camera also allows us to zoom and adjust the angle of view, but we haven't done that yet. Experience to date has shown that black storks do not allow themselves to be disturbed by a nesting camera.

Occasional technical noise may be heard from the camera. This is caused on the one hand by traffic noise, but also by a radio signal from cables. In different languages, we have heard no radio broadcasts, probably long wave stations. After all, the camera cables got the right length. The camera is powered by batteries powered by solar panels. We transmit the camera image via 4G mobile internet, so in case of intensive network use, there may be interruptions in the transmission. It will be broadcasted live through the Eagle Club YouTube channel. We recommend watching the Eagle Club channel in case the live camera live broadcast needs to be restarted due to technical reasons, which may change the web address of the broadcast. The Eagle Club channel also has all the other nesting cameras of Estonian eagles and black storks and a wild game camera.

The camera signal is prepared and recorded for streaming with the support of the Estonian Fund for Nature ( Eestimaa Looduse Fondi). What's happening in the nest is reflected in the Looduskalender forum. It is not forbidden to use the transfer from the nest for non-commercial purposes elsewhere, but please let us know if possible (send a message to urmas@kotkas.ee).

Godparents/sponsors (?) are welcome with each camera, as some components need to be replaced every year. We do not have project support for this. The Environmental Investment Center (Keskkonnainvesteeringute Keskus) supports the installation, removal and maintenance of cameras.
juta
Site Admin

Post by juta »

Thank you, Triin!
Inside that link is another with info about all black storks we have seen so far.

https://www.kotkas.ee/klubi/must-toonekure-kaamera

Although it seems we all think that this stork is male, if even ornithologists are not sure, we should be not sure too. For instance, female Donna came on the nest first. That time we were told that females come always first. It was long time ago.

Let´s wait with the name for some days yet.

Solo, thanks for the translation!
Proud member of SHoW (StorkaHolics of the World)
Solo

Post by Solo »

juta wrote: April 16th, 2021, 1:09 pm
:hi: Juta,
you are welcome - thanx to you too for the link :thumbs:

btw. I wrote nothing about who arrives first to the nest (usually male, exceptions exist as in everything) - I wrote only the male sings, when he comes to the nest - see e.g. here https://www.looduskalender.ee/forum/vie ... 89#p617289
juta
Site Admin

Post by juta »

Solo, I didn´t quote your post.
Proud member of SHoW (StorkaHolics of the World)
Solo

Post by Solo »

13:39 very intensive singing and he flies out and back singing - it must be female nearby (in my opinion)
and he is away - I hope for his return with female :rolleyes:

Solo

Post by Solo »

juta wrote: April 16th, 2021, 1:23 pm Solo, I didn´t quote your post.
yes - I know. I was just responding to your sentences.
Solo

Post by Solo »

14:16: 31 our handsome male is back alone :-(
- he sings, repeatedly
14:27:28 flew out
ambyBM

Post by ambyBM »

Heloise wrote: April 16th, 2021, 9:48 am Hello, Solo, Tatyana!

:hi:

Thank you for your wonderful photos! :thumbs:

I wanted to write something about the name of this beautiful black stork.

The radio was almost not heard last night, but someone in the YT chat suggested that the name of this stork could be Mr. Hertz :headroll:

I wish everyone here a beautiful day!
Hi and welcome in 2021 season :)

I was that "someone" - and of course, you (LK members) will choose the name according to your rules.
I guess when the time comes a separat post with poll about the name appears - or not, if you prefer to let this stork be unnamed.
Solo

Post by Solo »

ambyBM wrote: April 16th, 2021, 2:25 pm
the conversation you made in the late evening to the name was interesting :laugh:

you are LK member too :nod: (EDIT: "Joined: 24 Nov 2018")
:wave:
Heloise

Post by Heloise »

Solo wrote: April 16th, 2021, 2:51 pm the conversation you made in the late evening to the name was interesting :laugh:

you are LK member too :nod:
:wave:
It just fits well here (EDIT: I hope you understand 8-)) :

:gathering:
Solo

Post by Solo »

18:38: our stork arrived, singing - whistling, alone

the (dry) twig was gradually falling down

14:18
16:16
18:41
Heloise

Post by Heloise »

Solo wrote: April 16th, 2021, 6:42 pm 18:38: our stork arrived, singing - whistling, alone
What a beautie!

:2thumbsup:
Solo

Post by Solo »

Heloise wrote: April 16th, 2021, 6:57 pm
:nod:
I like him very much :innocent:

(and the birds talk so nice)
Solo

Post by Solo »

so very calm picture and the birds song
Heloise

Post by Heloise »

Solo wrote: April 16th, 2021, 6:59 pm :nod:
I like him very much :innocent:

(and the birds talk so nice)
Yes! I think this beautiful stork is getting more and more admirers! :loveshower:
Solo

Post by Solo »

Heloise wrote: April 16th, 2021, 7:35 pm
:nod: :2thumbsup:

edit:
at 13:39 he was so very excited - I was already hoping for the arrival of the female :shake:
Heloise

Post by Heloise »

Solo wrote: April 16th, 2021, 7:36 pm :nod: :2thumbsup:

edit:
at 13:39 he was so very excited - I was already hoping for the arrival of the female :shake:
I really hope we see them meeting soon! :whistling:
Solo

Post by Solo »

Good night :wave: :offtobed:
Solo

Post by Solo »

April 17
Hello everyone :hi:

like every morning: preening, out and in with nest material, finding the right place for all things, resting

Return to “Black Stork Camera Forum”