Black Stork Nest 2, Jan and Janika, 2021

Cameras Watching over Black Storks nest
balistar

Re: Black Stork Nest 2, Jan and Janika, 2021

Post by balistar »

Hi Summi, Solo, Liz, sniedzins and everyone,

wow, very good feedings yesterday and already today by Jan :2thumbsup:
Am i right, great Janika has been feeding three times yesterday ? And again also these "white things".
Summi, thank you for searching for the larvae :thumbs:

Liz01 wrote: July 30th, 2021, 7:40 pm 2018! from here you can see the "small fish" and the "white things" - small fish are know! but the white things ...
https://www.looduskalender.ee/forum/vie ... 47#p607647

balistar ... can you take a look ...
Liz, thank you for posting/remembering on these "white things" of 2018 :thumbs:
I tried to compare those great pictures with the white things which were brought in here, together with the fish.
But unfortunately i'm not able to figure out, what they definitely are, not sure even if they are the same. And i'm also not sure if they really match with those larvae of the Maybeetle, which Summi has posted.
It may stay an open question ? :unsure:

(i'm sorry, i had my 2nd shot yesterday and had to lay down, so i couldn't watch a lot yesterday - and today i still don't feel well enough for a research on internet, i hope to come back soon)
Summi

Post by Summi »

Solo wrote: July 31st, 2021, 11:59 am 12:03:26 Jan again
The feeding takes place so often that it's difficult to keep abreast of the times! :D
Summi

Post by Summi »

balistar wrote: July 31st, 2021, 12:36 pm ... And i'm also not sure if they really match with those larvae of the Maybeetle, which Summi has posted.
balistar, thank you. :wave:

For the better understanding the Maybeetle larvae were connected only with one of Janika's feedings yesterday that Solo gave an enlarged small pic in her shot.

Those small white "spikes" are impossible to be identified. :puzzled:
In fact I'm expecting Looduskalender to specify them as they know the food sources in the vicinity of the nest. :nod:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

balistar wrote: July 31st, 2021, 12:36 pm ...
(i'm sorry, i had my 2nd shot yesterday and had to lay down, so i couldn't watch a lot yesterday - and today i still don't feel well enough for a research on internet, i hope to come back soon)
Dear balistar, get well soon :bow: my fingers are crossed :2thumbsup:

BTW: When worms lie in the water for a long time, this is what they look like! But is there water where worms gather? I dont know?
I see that on my bike rides. When worms lie in a puddle of water, they look almost white.

If they're still alive, I'll try to save them :laugh:
balistar

Post by balistar »

Summi wrote: July 31st, 2021, 12:47 pm ...
a) For the better understanding the Maybeetle larvae were connected only with one of Janika's feedings yesterday that Solo gave an enlarged small pic in her shot.

b) Those small white "spikes" are impossible to be identified. :puzzled:
In fact I'm expecting Looduskalender to specify them as they know the food sources in the vicinity of the nest. ..
Thanks, Summi :wave:
ad a) ok, understood, thank you :thumbs:
ad b) absolutely agree; there are, for example, a large number of diverse insect larvae :nod:

Here, only for example, i found "Selected small animals and their larvae in stagnant waters" (unfortunately only in German):
https://www.waldzeit.ch/tiere/kleintier ... ewaessern/

"In stehenden Gewässern leben mehrere Arten kleiner und kleinster Wasserkäferarten, die schwer bestimmbar sind."
GT:
"Several species of small and tiny water beetles live in stagnant water, that are difficult to identify ."

And here, also only for example, a picture of some larvae (beetle, butterfly, fly) - not really helpful, but anyway:
https://up.picr.de/41737906dm.jpg (picture and copyright by docplayer.org)

I also hope for a Looduskalender expert, who maybe can say what these "white things" are/were :laugh:
balistar

Post by balistar »

Liz01 wrote: July 31st, 2021, 12:50 pm ....

BTW: When worms lie in the water for a long time, this is what they look like! But is there water where worms gather? I dont know?
I see that on my bike rides. When worms lie in a puddle of water, they look almost white.

If they're still alive, I'll try to save them :laugh:
Thanks, Liz :wave:
I think for being worms, they were too short.
But i also have seen them looking almost white when they are laying in a puddle of water :nod:

i also "save" worms when they come out in rain and creep over the terrace, most time they don't find the way back to the soil and dry out and die. So, i go an collect them during the rain and put them back to the soil :laugh:
Solo

Post by Solo »

15.19 chirping
15:20:36 Janika is here :D
- feeding: pile of :puzzled: :help:
15:21:17 Janika out

15:20:48

15:21:11

edit: pile of?
Solo

Post by Solo »

Summi, Liz, Balistar
thank you for discussing the food they bring them these days ("little white things" in my feeding descriptions)
:2thumbsup:

I am not sure if someone from Kotkaklubi can help in this question, because I read
a/ I read that
(France): The monitoring of a specific breeding pair during the brooding period has shown that adults occupy an 800-km2 territory (a 40×20 km rectangle); they can travel a 20-km distance to find food.
b/ Urmas wrote
"Black Stork 2 nest is situated in protected area, but that has been protected quite recently to fill quota for protection of fertile forest types. But just before protection there was performed full renovation of drainage systems, roads built, clear cuts made, etc So it will take long time somebody could say - it is a natural forest in this nature conservation area... Most probably here is needed also active restoration before to leave everything in peace, but also restoration means some "dust storm" in fresh water environment. Probably, this pair feeds outside a protection area with renewed hydrology, but we do not know exactly."

So food sources can be in a large area around the nest - do you think it's even possible to identify a specific species of these "little white things"?
Solo

Post by Solo »

15.59 next chirping

16:00:08 Jan is here
- feeding: nice sized fishes (maybe for all - big wing flapping, hard to see)
16:05:03 Jan out

shots little later -done

16:00:19

16:02:10 (How to give them the food?

No3 with one of its fish (16:04:58)

more shots by Balistar here:
balistar wrote: July 31st, 2021, 5:51 pmSolo, i hope you don't mind, when i post pics of this feeding....
it's a forum enrichment (and help for me) - all posts are very welcome :2thumbsup: :wave:
Summi

Post by Summi »

At the last feeding Jan tried hard to regurgitate still one more time but the frantic storklets didn't let him and got hold of his beak one by one - they were about to eat their food source - dad's beak - for supper! :slap:
Solo

Post by Solo »

youtube chat
3:15 PM Oksana Оксана​
Только что прочитала на фб, что причина смерти четвёртого птенцы не установлена(( костей переломанных нет и птичий грипп исключён. Может у кого- нибудь информация??
GT:
I just read on fb that the cause of death of the fourth chick has not been established ((there are no broken bones and bird flu is excluded. Can anyone have information ??

edit
3:45 PM Oksana Оксана
эту новость скинула в группу Mara Stienberg. Получили по электронной почте от Министерства окружающий среды Эстонии
GT:
this news was thrown into the group by Mara Stienberg . Received by email from the Estonian Ministry of the Environment

EDIT:
so it is written in one today post in the FB group "FB Друзья Карла/Karl´s friends/Karli sõbrad"
(Private group Only members can see who's in the group and what they post.
Visible Anyone can find this group.)
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Solo wrote: July 31st, 2021, 3:46 pm .......So food sources can be in a large area around the nest -
Solo :hi: , interesting Info by Maris S!
That explains Janika's food deliveries. Little - nothing at all and now back to normal
https://www.looduskalender.ee/forum/vie ... 78#p820478
Solo wrote: July 31st, 2021, 4:53 pm Thank you Liz :2thumbsup: , interesting - new to me too
my pleasure :D
here you can find the Info!
DD-Forum
https://forums.dabasdati.lv/viewtopic.p ... 23#p295823
Solo

Post by Solo »

Liz01 wrote: July 31st, 2021, 4:42 pm
Thank you Liz :2thumbsup: , interesting - new to me too

edit:
thanx for the link :2thumbsup:
I also read the dabasdati forum, but unfortunately I missed this :bow:
Summi

Post by Summi »

I've read from YouTube chat that this information has originated from the Ministry of the Environment of Estonia. I have always been sure that the information about the necropsy of a bird we have been watching - giving the cause of the death and even if the cause hasn't been established - should be made public also by the Looduskalender front page.
Solo

Post by Solo »

Summi wrote: July 31st, 2021, 4:56 pm
we will see, I hope also for official info (Urmas, Kotkaklubi)
balistar

Post by balistar »

Solo wrote: July 31st, 2021, 3:46 pm ..... - do you think it's even possible to identify a specific species of these "little white things"?
No, Solo, i don't think so, unless an "expert-expert" will be able :laugh:
balistar

Post by balistar »

Solo wrote: July 31st, 2021, 4:00 pm 15.59 next chirping

16:00:08 Jan is here
- feeding: nice sized fishes (maybe for all - big wing flapping, hard to see)
16:05:03 Jan out

shots little later
Summi wrote: July 31st, 2021, 4:19 pm At the last feeding Jan tried hard to regurgitate still one more time but the frantic storklets didn't let him and got hold of his beak one by one - they were about to eat their food source - dad's beak - for supper! :slap:
Oh yes, it took him a while (almost 5 min.) to "safely" place his beak to regurgitate :D

Solo, i hope you don't mind, when i post pics of this feeding....

16:04:56 medium sized fish, maybe three of them

16:04:57 #1 and #3 definitely took one

16:04:58 #3
balistar

Post by balistar »

but also #2 was eating... i tried to capture him.... here it is:

16:04:57 see #2 taking his fish :laugh:

16:04:58 #2 and #3 taking each a fish

16:04:59 #1 in the back swallowing his fish :D
Summi

Post by Summi »

balistar, thank you so much :wave: