Black Stork Webcam Discussion ~ Tiit & Tiina ~ 2013

Cameras Watching over Black Storks nest
Shanta

Re: Black Stork Webcam Discussion ~ Tiit & Tiina ~ 2013

Post by Shanta »

:hi: Lucy, many thanks for your pics :thumbs:
Great Spotted Woodpecker - must learn the different
but Parus cristatus :2thumbsup: :bow: hope to see him
I've to learn so many birds. Thank you and maybe Gavril looks for the Latin name - find the translation immediately :2thumbsup:
Gavril

Post by Gavril »

Shanta! :hi: I found the Latin name of the crested tit - Parus cristatus. And another great spotted woodpecker - (Dendrocopos major). :shock: And yet... they are so beautiful! But.. yesterday I found a dead small spotted woodpecker under the window of the building. Unfortunately it crashed against a window. It's very sad... :slap:
loveofnature-ohio-us

Post by loveofnature-ohio-us »

Did anyone hear the loud animal noises very early this morning, shortly before daylight? It must have been right below the nest tree. To me, it sounded like a wild boar. It was a loud angry sound. Are there wild pigs in the area or what was that? :eek:
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

Yes, there are. I think last year in spring, before the leaves had grown, we have seen some passing in the bottom.

I did a quick search - not really much to see, I put circles around:

circles are a bit weak, there are three individuals

“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
loveofnature-ohio-us

Thank you so much for the info. That was really something to hear this morning.
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

:laugh: Yes, we know from the boar cam that they can be very loud and noisy! As I did not hear, raccoon dogs can also be quite noisy and sometimes even a bit scary, if you watch the Alutaguse cam, you get to hear them almost every evening.
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

Lucy

Post by Lucy »

4th October

12:26 Jay's visit

Lucy

Post by Lucy »

5th October

:hi:
A White-backed Woodpecker Dendrocopos leucotos (female) paid a brief visit at 12:04 :rolleyes:

loveofnature-ohio-us

Beautiful bird, love to see the woodpeckers. Thank you for posting. :loveshower:
Lucy

Post by Lucy »

I love to see them too, loveofnature-ohio-us. :D
I edited my yesterday's post to add a short video, where the woodpecker knocking on a tree limb can be heard (it lasted longer, about 6 min).
loveofnature-ohio-us

Good sounds to hear, Lucy. :innocent: Busy busy little woodpecker.
ame

Post by ame »

Lucy, the white-backed woodpecker was a great catch! :thumbs:

Wikipedia (English) says:
"It is a scarce bird, requiring large, mature woods with plenty of dead wood. Numbers have decreased in Nordic countries."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White-backed_Woodpecker

Estonian Wikipedia adds that in Estonia the situation is better for this woodpecker. it must be because forests in Estonia aren't as heavily harvested as in Finland and Sweden, and so in Estonia there are more of these mature forests left than in the Nordic countries. they estimate that in Estonia there are 3000 - 6000 nesting pairs.

in Finland the white-backed woodpecked is an endangered species due to efficient forestry. the number of nesting pairs in Finland is about 75 - 80 now, though Finland is a much larger country than Estonia. Image (but on the other hand Finland is on the edge of the distribution area of this bird so in most of the country these birds would not live anyway.)

in Sweden the situation is even worse than in Finland: in 2006 it was estimated that there were 15 individual birds! all nesting attempts failed, probably because the females were too young.. :cry:
in 2007 only one Swedish nesting was successful... :slap:

-there was also one interesting detail on the Finnish W-pedia page: the oldest known ringed white-backed woodpecker in Europe was a Finnish bird whose age was at least
15 years and 11 months. (i suppose that means that it was ringed as an adult, not as a nestling).
Dima дима.

Post by Dima дима. »

Lucy. thank you for pictures beautiful bird!!!!! woodpecker :thumbs: :nod:
asteria

Post by asteria »

The last pontu pic came from yesterday, 21.03 The cam doesn't work anymore.
loveofnature-ohio-us

:cry: Now we wait until next year. :wave:
I just love this site.
asteria

Post by asteria »

This season lasted six months, from April, 8 till October, 6.
Shanta

Post by Shanta »

Gavril wrote:Shanta! I found the Latin name of the crested tit - Parus cristatus. And another great spotted woodpecker - (Dendrocopos major). :shock: And yet... they are so beautiful! But.. yesterday I found a dead small spotted woodpecker under the window of the building. Unfortunately it crashed against a window. It's very sad... :slap:
:hi: Gavril,
many thanks for your help and please excuse me late reply!
A translator is sometimes unfortunately not the right answer is searched, latin bird names are :blush: easier to find.
I'm a beginner in bird watching. Want a photo gallery create for me, which bird has been observed in the nest and how does he look like, what's the name (english :puzzled: ). It is so interesting for me!
As a thank you, a photo "only" for you from our sweet storkfamily in the hope of all healthy again to see!
2013-06-21
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

asteria wrote:The last pontu pic came from yesterday, 21.03 The cam doesn't work anymore.
And again yesterday - 8th Oct. - 67 Pontu pictures were recorded between 12:31 and 13:37 ...

Urmas

Post by Urmas »

I did not look the BS camera for couple of days and seems with cloudy weather there is not enough energy produced by solar panels and batteries do not charge well.
Yes, it means season is over and we will go and remove system in forest for winter. If some time will be for this.

What we might write for finalizing the season?
Any ideas...
Janne+Ais

Post by Janne+Ais »

Urmas, nature makes me speechless. Although it is not modern, I stand in humbleness and thankfulness.

Return to “Black Stork Camera Forum”