Black Stork Webcam Discussion ~ Tiit & Tiina ~ 2014

Cameras Watching over Black Storks nest
Klurt

Re: Black Stork Webcam Discussion ~ Tiit & Tiina ~ 2014

Post by Klurt »

ophelia wrote:A nest in the Netherlands - Beleef de Lente - already has 5 chicks, they are so far ahead of the black storks in Estonia. Is this always the case?
Hi ophelia, I can answer this question. 1) A large (and growing) part of the Dutch white stork population do not migrate, the Beleef de Lente couple are non-migrant. 2) Dutch winter this year has been very mild and spring has started extremely early. These 2 factors result in this early nest.

To elaborate a bit on 1): A successful breeding program for white storks was started in the 70's in the Netherlands, this (and possibly climate change?) has resulted in changing migration routes and migration behavior. Young white storks will still start their migration but after a few years a large part of them will become non-migratory.
ophelia

Post by ophelia »

Thank you for that info Klurt, I would have said so sooner, but it's just morning now where I am. That breeding program may be what the black storks need, I don't know if it's already happening. Does anyone know if there is anything like this for black storks?
loveofnature-ohio-us

Post by loveofnature-ohio-us »

With all this news that some storks are still coming, I will keep looking and hoping. Would be so wonderful if Tiit arrived. :shake:
deeve

Post by deeve »

It was so nice to have a look at their lives- their arrivings in spring, raising newborns, leavings in autumn. Wherever our favourites are now, let's hope they are doing well.
I wish you a very nice spring and summer, dear Black Stork Friends:).
lianaliesma

Post by lianaliesma »

:hi:
We are living in a dangerous age. Human beings dominate nature, before they have learned to control themselves. -Albert Schweitzer
I have been studying the traits and dispositions of the so-called "lower animals" versus the traits and dispositions of man. The result humiliates me. - Mark Twain
iku

Post by iku »

:wave: Let's hope that Tiina and Tiit are doing well and make their nests somewhere. (This thinking it will help, at least to me). I watch birds in our yard on a daily basis that are building the hive. A fierce battle locations. I've been thinking that eggs rejection and come to a conclusion that animals will work. The weak will be cut off for now. Now, all did not like, when I put that opinion letters. :unsure:
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

I hope the best for Tiina and Tiit also!

ophelia wrote:A nest in the Netherlands - Beleef de Lente - already has 5 chicks, they are so far ahead of the black storks in Estonia. Is this always the case?
We have followed (a little bit) the storks on this webcam, and even have a post from this year: viewtopic.php?p=301045#p301045
It would be wonderful to have some more updates from that nest.
Klurt wrote: 1) A large (and growing) part of the Dutch white stork population do not migrate, the Beleef de Lente couple are non-migrant.
<snip>
To elaborate a bit on 1): A successful breeding program for white storks was started in the 70's in the Netherlands, this (and possibly climate change?) has resulted in changing migration routes and migration behavior. Young white storks will still start their migration but after a few years a large part of them will become non-migratory.
This is fascinating information, Klurt. When I started watching white storks years ago, I was surprised that some did not migrate. I would like to learn more about this program you mention. Would you consider reposting your information (and maybe some links?) here: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=643

And perhaps Irasa, Ausra, Baska and everyone else who knows about them could also post links to other White Stork nests? viewtopic.php?f=33&t=643

Thank You!

(now back to the Black Storks here ... 8-) )
Irasa

Post by Irasa »

NancyM wrote:I hope the best for Tiina and Tiit also!

And perhaps Irasa, Ausra, Baska and everyone else who knows about them could also post links to other White Stork nests? viewtopic.php?f=33&t=643

Thank You!

(now back to the Black Storks here ... 8-) )
I posted it there, but I'm still watching Tiina & Tiit's nest, not giving up hope, that someone shows up....
Storch in Sicht: http://46.237.211.38:1010
Naturewatching

Post by Naturewatching »

I just found the webcam for the Black Storks and watched for a few days. They are the prettiest storks I have ever seen. I have never seen Black Storks before. I am watching some white ones but these are so beautiful. But all of a sudden I do not see them anymore. Do you think they will be back?
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

Hello Naturewatching, welcome to the forum. Yes, the Black Storks a very beautiful birds and they have such an interesting family life at the nest. We all were looking forward being able to see it one more time, but I am afraid, this year we will be disappointed. Even on the second nest we hoped to be able to watch, the waiting stork disappeared again without starting nest building in earnest.
Even if Tiit should turn up against all odds, I fear it is too late now.
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
Lena101

Post by Lena101 »

It looks like the nest had a visitor, as there is a strong branch sticking out on the right side which was not always there. But it might have been the wind doing this. I noticed a change because I look at the nest several times a day.
"Man sieht nur mit dem Herzen gut , das Wesentliche ist für die Augen unsichtbar.
"You can only see well with your heart, the essential things are invisible for your eyes. ( Antoine de St. Exupérie - der kleine Prinz)
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

I have moved now a couple of "hints" on various Black or White Stork cameras. I would like to let you know that we have forum topics for those and ask everyone to post them there. This topic is for discussing the nest of Tiina and Tiit

All Non-Looduskalender-Cams you can find in this part of the forum: viewforum.php?f=22

The topic for Black Storks: viewforum.php?f=17
The topic for White Storks: viewforum.php?f=33

Thank you!
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

Agatheb2k

Post by Agatheb2k »

:hi:

No stork in the nest, but someone is walking under the nest... may be humans serching eggs :puzzled:

macko50 wrote:Maybe the new male has it's own nest, and wanted that Tiina move there.
I really like this idea, thank you.

:wave:
Britta

Post by Britta »

it's snowing
:slap:
Hélène

Post by Hélène »

The first of May

SNOW !!!! :shock:

Lena101

Post by Lena101 »

There is a new camera of an "old" black stork nest, but it is empty right now.
http://www.eenet.ee/EENet/konnakotkas_tooni_pesas.html
"Man sieht nur mit dem Herzen gut , das Wesentliche ist für die Augen unsichtbar.
"You can only see well with your heart, the essential things are invisible for your eyes. ( Antoine de St. Exupérie - der kleine Prinz)
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Lena, this is our in the meantime Lesser Spotted Eagle nest - a Black Stork has not nested there since years, but LSE for two years. This year it's sadly also empty - look here: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=655&start=40

It's not new, it's the oldest nest camera Looduskalender has, and it is the reason why this forum exists

Lena101

Post by Lena101 »

Sorry Felis, I did not know that but I thought Tiina might have moved to another nest. There is no indication of an eagles nest and I did not translate konnakotka prior to posting the link.
Bea

Post by Bea »

The introduction post tells about the history of the nest - always a good place for collecting informations.
viewtopic.php?p=302906#p302906
Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

The two nests are quite far from each other, it would have been very unlikely that Tiina moved to the "Tooni" nest!

Return to “Black Stork Camera Forum”