Suggest Names for Young Black Storks 2019.

Cameras Watching over Black Storks nest
Lea T

Re: Suggest Names for Young Black Storks 2019.

Post by Lea T »

leonia wrote: July 16th, 2019, 10:58 am :unsure: Aas is the German word for carcass . . . :shock:
:slap:
aquiline

Post by aquiline »

Hellem wrote: July 15th, 2019, 11:17 pm Yes, they are gender neutral, aren't Estonian names but words, Maru - storm, Päike - sun, Karula - location of their nest
Thank you Hellem :wave: for me these words sound like names and I like them very much. Concerning Karula I thought it was an Estonian name, too :whistling: (in German there is the female name Karla. This is not far away from Karula :D )
Tatiana60

Post by Tatiana60 »

I like it too:
Ain and Olli :thumbs:
Tatiana60

Post by Tatiana60 »

Jo UK wrote: July 16th, 2019, 1:18 am ...Be patient, please. Our usual routine will see us win through.
That's my temperament... he pushes me all the time :rolleyes: , I agree with you.
visit

Post by visit »

Hello :)
name suggestions untill tonight ?
i come late but just found two - perhaps i should really look ;)
Aare - treasure, sweetheart ?
Oru - in the air

anyway, i' just came but have to go *see you :)
Paasusilm

Post by Paasusilm »

Hello, all! Long time lurker/stork enthusiast here, finally felt compelled to sign up and suggest something. :laugh:

Aru - could mean either 'meadow' or 'wit'.
Ambur - old-timey word for 'archer', also used for the constellation of Sagittarius in modern times.
Oras - 'leaf blade', more specifically used for grain seedlings sprouted in spring time.
Okas - 'thorn', 'barb' or 'needle' - generally in the case of plants and animals. Hedgehog has them, but so does a pine tree.

I don't think any of those words are used as first names, but you could definitely have any of them as a last name in Estonia. :nod:
Summi

Post by Summi »

Pääsusilm, welcome to the forum. :wave: I love the flower in your avatar.
Kuutar

Post by Kuutar »

My suggestions for names

Aru and Oras

:wave:
visit

Post by visit »

*just came back and wanted to threw in some more possiilities ;)
@ all the native Estonian speakers : please have a look, whether the translation is correct !

and hello to Paasusilm :) as an Estonian you are just dropped in to the right time ;)

so i found e. g. these ones and looked for the meaning (est. - engl.) :

Aare - treasure, sweetheart
Aika - time
Aim - to guess
Ainiku - unique
Ainu - szene
Allik - source
Amb - ambassador
Ande - talent
Aruka - intelligent
Arva - guess what
Arukas - clever, smart

Okas - ok
Oru - in the air
Osmu - i knew it
Ote - to grab
Otsi - search
Ott - there

the bold names are the ones, i would give a little preference (only from this group - i've not the overview about all suggested names).
unfortunately i haven't found many names with O.
perhaps the native Estonians could help with some more suggestions ?

if i knew the gender, i would surely have a little different selection, i think.
but ok - most important is, they keep healthy :)

:wave:
juta
Site Admin

Post by juta »

Hello all!
I promised to create the list and start voting today, but not yet.
I am working with the list. Some questions.
What to do with long lists which some members suggested. Should I include all names?
Can I make my own choice if some names don´t look like names for me?
Anyway, thanks to all and this topic is not closed yet.
Proud member of SHoW (StorkaHolics of the World)
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Juta please make your own selection of which words/names are suitable for our storklets.
For instance, I see that there is a word which means thorn or spike.
We don't want a storklet to be named for that!
visit

Post by visit »

Good morning ! :)

just a little note: when i put the word okas in the translator, it was said it means "ok". therefore it was not very bad for me,

concerning your question juta: of course you don't need to include all my suggestions, it was just a collection and i thought if someone find some names in it, it's ok, too.

if you take only 2 suggestions pro person (1x a + 1x o) it is quite fair, i think and then you can choose, which one of the bold ones.

nice day to all !
Paasusilm

Post by Paasusilm »

visit wrote: July 17th, 2019, 2:39 am so i found e. g. these ones and looked for the meaning (est. - engl.) :
I think your translating tool was not having a great day, so let me tell you where it lied to you. :laugh:

Aare - treasure, sweetheart - correct, but should be noted that it's generally a male name and I wouldn't say it's unisex at all
Aika - time - "aika" does mean "time" in Finnish, but in Estonian, that'd be "Aeg"
Aim - to guess - "Aim" is more like a sense of something, e.g. "eelaimdus" (from the same root) could be "precognition" or "hunch", more casually
Ainiku - unique - meaningless in Estonian
Ainu - szene - meaningless, though it could be a typo of "ainus", which would mean "the only one"
Allik - source - "allik" is a short (a slightly poetic, IMO) version of "allikas", which is indeed "source, spring (of water)"
Amb - ambassador - "amb" is actually a "crossbow" :)
Ande - talent - more or less correct :)
Aruka - intelligent - also correct
Arva - guess what - correct, but I am not sure if a singular imperative form of a verb would be a great name
Arukas - clever, smart - that's the same as "Aruka", except "Aruka" is in the genitive case and that one is in the nominative case

Okas - ok - that'd be "needle, barb, thorn", actually
Oru - in the air - more like "of the valley" (and a village near me :))
Osmu - i knew it - meaningless, though looks close to "osm", which means "hut"
Ote - to grab - meaningless in modern Estonian, but found in some more archaic place names in the sense of "bear" (in genitive)
Otsi - search - correct :)
Ott - there - an older word for "bear"

I think there's quite a few neat names in this list, it's just that the translator was not quite there.. :D
visit

Post by visit »

ojeee !!! :slap:

Thanks a lot Passusilm ! :))

so, just looking what's the rest... (only for me of course ;)

Aim
Allik

Ande

hm, with O it is more difficult...

Ote - perhaps ? *edit: rather no, a stork is no bear, i think ;) *thx Passusilm
Passusilm wrote:Ote - to grab - meaningless in modern Estonian, but found in some more archaic place names in the sense of "bear" (in genitive)
regarding ote, do you mean bear as the animal or the verb in english ?
I think there's quite a few neat names in this list, it's just that the translator was not quite there.. :D
in deed :D
Paasusilm

Post by Paasusilm »

visit wrote: July 17th, 2019, 11:52 am regarding ote, do you mean bear as the animal or the verb in english ?
It comes from "ott", so it refers to the animal.
It's found, for example, in Otepää (lit. "bear's head"), which is a skiing town in South Estonia, ~60 km from the Karula National Park. :D
visit

Post by visit »

oh, i see gg
well the storklet is not really a bear... :mrgreen:
Paasusilm

Post by Paasusilm »

visit wrote: July 17th, 2019, 3:15 pm well the storklet is not really a bear... :mrgreen:
But so what? All kinds of nouns get used as names all the time. Examples of people that I myself have known: Säde ('spark'), Eha ('dusk'), Ott (the very same 'bear' we have here), Pilvi ('cloud'), Kirsi ('cherry'), Agu ('twilight before dawn'), Koit ('dawn'), Kalju ('cliff') here. None of them are, objectively speaking, the thing that they're named after, but somehow, they get by. And given that storks can't speak Estonian, I don't think they'd be overly upset about such things.

I am sure you'd find such examples in your own language as well, if you think about it for a bit.

Besides, last year we had Päike and Maru and I'm quite sure that they were storks, not the Sun and a storm... :laugh:
leonia

Post by leonia »

Paasusilm wrote: July 18th, 2019, 8:40 am ... And given that storks can't speak Estonian, I don't think they'd be overly upset about such things. ...
:rotf:
Moira

Post by Moira »

Except that Ott is definitely a male name. And Otu is also used to describe a somewhat goofy person. :innocent:
visit

Post by visit »

Hello :)
Paasusilm wrote:But so what?

I am sure you'd find such examples in your own language as well, if you think about it for a bit.
it's not because of me, i would find names, it's because of the name-finding-rules ;)
so i trust the Estonian people here :) they are surely a lot of good names.

Return to “Black Stork Camera Forum”