Lesser Spotted Eagles - Western Estonia 2019

Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Re: Lesser Spotted Eagles - Western Estonia 2019

Post by Felis silvestris »

11:20 - late (second ?) breakfast or early lunch is being served on the nest

“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
Summi

Post by Summi »

Felis silvestris wrote: April 30th, 2019, 10:45 am We have to be a bit patient, but there is still hope for improvement.
Thank you, Felis silvestris, for the promising news. :wave:
Mary Jane

Post by Mary Jane »

At 18:28 or slightly before that one was standing right in front of the camera, looking at it curiously for quite some time. Does anyone have a video recording of that? I couldn't take a picture, but it was amazing to watch.
Crissy

Post by Crissy »

Felis silvestris wrote: April 30th, 2019, 10:45 am I have enquired about the bad stream. It is known and Omar promised to look into the matter. It might be necessary to find a different network provider. We have to be a bit patient, but there is still hope for improvement.
Thank you :wave:
Askja

Post by Askja »

Thank you, Felis Silvestris, for explanations and enquiries about the stream. I didn't mean the poor data transmission from the camera though, which can be expected in remote areas. Just wanted to point out that the server doesn't take up and send the stream again once it is back on. But that's perhaps part of the parcel of problems they have with the provider. So lets hope, and thanks to everyone! :thumbs:

I wonder if we can still expect family life here... is it not perhaps getting late? But even without eggs, I love our eagles! :shake:
“Animals, like us, are living souls. They are not things. They are not objects. Neither are they human. Yet they mourn. They love. They dance. They suffer. They know the peaks and chasms of being.” (G. Kowalski) Caveat: Apart from this remarkable sentence I do not agree with his philosophies.
Mary Jane

Post by Mary Jane »

MAY 1
:hi: Good morning!
I made a video of some nestwork at 7:40. Unfortunately it seems that there is no sound. It was my first try at recording so forgive me. :unsure:

Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Askja wrote: May 1st, 2019, 1:17 am I wonder if we can still expect family life here... is it not perhaps getting late? But even without eggs, I love our eagles! :shake:
The Latvian LSE, who are on and around their nest for a much longer time, have their first egg since about 20 minutes. We are still within the "egg laying window".
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

aquiline

Post by aquiline »

LSE Karin returned only last week (she had the longest journey). So these birds start breeding later than others?
Mary Jane

Post by Mary Jane »

May 2

Good morning! :hi:

9:16 Building the nest again, adding sticks.

9:17 A bit of an itch in the middle of work. :laugh:

Testing the nest.
Mary Jane

Post by Mary Jane »

14:02 A food gift. A frog, from what I saw, but the camera was skipping too much to get a picture and the frog was gone in a heartbeat.

Mary Jane

Post by Mary Jane »

May 3

8:09 The male on the nest, calling.

8:16 Having a little look around the nest.

8:32 Still calling from the branch close to the camera.
Urmas

Post by Urmas »

4 May
Female in nest around half past 5, makes some nest works. Flew away soon.
Mary Jane

Post by Mary Jane »

8:28 Male doing nestwork.

8:29 Both on the nest. Soon there was a mating attempt on the branch, but the camera was again skipping too much.

Mary Jane

Post by Mary Jane »

9:56-9:58 Both on the nest again for a short time and then both went to the branches on the right.

Mary Jane

Post by Mary Jane »

May 5

6:15 One eagle is taking a nap on the branch. Only tail feathers and right wing visible, but I guess it is the female. She has been on or near the nest every morning.

6:27 Sleepy eagle in the sunrise. She is calling from time to time.

6:41 She flew away from the branch, still calling from somewhere close.

7:06 Male came home with some nest material and is improving the nest.
7:07 Mating behind the camera.

8.24 Food delivery, a mouse.

11:59 Female was sitting on the nest, looking thoughtful. I hope we can expect an egg soon.
Then she walked behind the camera and is calling from time to time.

12:35 Both on the nest and arranging branches. Female went behind the camera, the male followed at 12:37. I assume there was a mating attempt there, but the camera discreetly skipped that part out, so I can't be sure. :unsure:

17:33 Female coming to the nest.

17:37 She flew off the nest, around the nest tree and to the left. Calling.
17:39:50 A bird (probably the male) flew over the nest in the same direction and at 17:40 mating sounds from the forest.

The camera is freezing so much today that sadly it is almost impossible to watch anymore. :puzzled:
Will try again later or in the morning.
Polly

Post by Polly »

I envy you these moments! :unsure:

Somehow I have no luck... the transmission hangs after two minutes at the latest. This morning the camera time jumped incessantly. Very sad.

Thank you for your reports Mary Jane. :2thumbsup:
"Throw your heart across the river and swim after it."
Indian proverb
Mary Jane

Post by Mary Jane »

:hi: Polly! You're welcome.
I try to keep on both the webpage and VLC (with recording), so I can save a few moments during the day. But it is very hard when the camera is jumping as it did today.
Usually the camera is running smoothly early in the morning. If you wake up at 6, you will get these moments too. :nod:
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Mary Jane wrote: May 3rd, 2019, 8:14 am May 3

8:09 The lady on the nest, calling for her partner.

8:16 Having a little look around the nest.

8:32 Still calling from the branch close to the camera.
I'm sorry to tell you that this pictures do not show the female, but the male. Look at the legs, the male has got the lighter, spotted legs. The lady has got darker legs.

Mary Jane

Post by Mary Jane »

Thank you so much, Felis silvestris. :thumbs:

I didn't know the difference that well and I changed it now. Please tell me if you find more mistakes.
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

No problem, it is difficult to tell them apart, but here I found that having a look at the legs is telling who is who.

Return to “Lesser Spotted Eagle Webcam Forum”