Snapshot from now:
The nature needs us not, but we need the nature
Ferenz

Post by Ferenz »

BalBucam, France > 'LA WEBCAM' is LIVE again :thumbs:

http://www.balbucam.fr/fr/en-direct/
Ferenz

Post by Ferenz »

GREAT RELIEF: The Balbucam web stream is live again en direct. Sylva and Reda are still breeding their precious two eggs ! It was confusing to see these false 13:29 min and the other 2 hrs videos from yesterday showing no eggs and female 02. with a wrong time stamp....what a big mess by the admin. :whistling:

SilverGirl

Post by SilverGirl »

Thank you Ferenz :wave:

I couldn't understand what happened to the eggs,
that's great it was only a little misunderstanding ...
and all is ok :2thumbsup:
Ferenz

Post by Ferenz »

Scylla's answer from RSPB-Osprey-Blog United Kingdom...
Probably related to resetting up after the fire.
https://community.rspb.org.uk/placestov ... nt-4292=11
Ferenz

Post by Ferenz »

Sylva laid 3rd egg 11 April 2021 afternoon Balbuforum wrote on page 3 at 17:26 PM

http://www.balbucam.fr/forums/topic/viv ... -6/page/3/

Here is my snapshot from today > Reda 04 shows the eggs :nod: :nod: :nod:

Ferenz

Post by Ferenz »

Eschenbach Bavaria: Last years breeding pair
female (left leg) 9 SN & male (right leg) 9 UF have returned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzJENAsAn1o

Ferenz

Post by Ferenz »

Eschenbach, Bavaria: Ospreys chasing a young intruder...

Ferenz

Post by Ferenz »

Eschenbach, Bavaria 6:23:28 AM :nod:

male 9 UF incubating first egg and change with female...

SilverGirl

Post by SilverGirl »

Many thanks Ferenz :hi:

I see they already have the first egg, congrats :thumbs:
When it was laid, do you know ?
I remember one year they had 4 eggs, wonder how many this year.

I like this nest, it's nice located.
What are their names - Hermine & Herbert ?

This young it probably was their child.
Returning from the first wintering they like to visit parents
to say Hello, here I am, I survived :)
At this time usually return 3-y.o. and in May or later 2-y.o.
Ferenz

Post by Ferenz »

Silvergirl the Eschenbach egg might have laid during the night/early morning...there was no egg yesterday evening at daylight before cam stream got darkend.

ImageImage

Todays visible nest stream with the incubating male began around 6:18 AM and Herbert got up 6:22:39 AM giving us first glance of the egg! We'll never know how egg laying occurred because there is no infrared light - only dark matter from 21:00 PM to 6:00 AM, so what the egg seems ok -
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

Goitzsche Wildnis

The first egg is laid. :thumbs:

Gosh, don't know what happened there, she left the egg alone at 20:35. Now it is 20:55 and she is not back, no infrared light there. :bow:
21:04 It is completely dark and she has not return til now...
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

Steinhuder Meer

The second egg is laid. :2thumbsup:
Pic from ET by Hamburg
Polly

Post by Polly »

Goitzsche Wildnis

April 15th

Birdfriend, thanks for staying here! :2thumbsup:
Everything is okay. The female sat in the nest when it was still dark. Probably overnight too.

The kestrels can also be heard well by the way. :laugh:
"Throw your heart across the river and swim after it."
Indian proverb
Ferenz

Post by Ferenz »

Goitzsche Wildnis

Polly

Post by Polly »

Very exclusive. :laugh: It reminds me of Ivo, who fed a lot of these game fish in one season. :whistling:
"Throw your heart across the river and swim after it."
Indian proverb
Ferenz

Post by Ferenz »

BalBucam, France: Reda delivered big fish for Sylva 9:35 AM

http://www.balbucam.fr/forums/topic/viv ... -6/page/9/

SilverGirl

Post by SilverGirl »

Birdfriend wrote: April 14th, 2021, 9:34 pm Goitzsche Wildnis

The first egg is laid ...
[... ]
Gosh, don't know what happened there, she left the egg alone at 20:35. Now it is 20:55 and she is not back, no infrared light there.
21:04 It is completely dark and she has not return til now...

Dear Birdfriend :wave:
I wouldn't worry too much, no.
Really, as far as I watch ospreys' nests for years, I don't remember such behaviour, but I think that is no tragedy yet. First days, first egg :)
There is no IR here ( that's only for us, of course ), but ospreys can fly in darkness and I'm sure that at dawn you will see mama sitting on her egg, even before you open your eyes she will be there :)))
But, but. This nest we can watch for the first time and we don't know citizens and their customs, yet.
Birds' behaviours are some different one from each other even within the same species and area.
Birdfriend, you are experienced enough and I trust you know what I mean above and below :)

As first, until all eggs are laid, there may be longer pauses in incubating. And only since that time all of them are already warmed constantly and equally, to minimize pauses between hatching of each one, to avoid sibling fights for food leading to death of the weaker. This happens very rarely at ospreys, fortunately.

As second, eggs can survive very low temperatures, even in some hours.
In 2019 Dr. Erick Greene, the brain and head of Montana Osprey Project said on fb about Iris in Hellgate, before all eggs finally failed from other reason :( :
Until yesterday, Iris did not leave her eggs for all that long to catch fish. But yesterday she left her nest at 4:33 PM and did not return until 11:47 PM. So she was off the nest for 7 hours and 14 minutes. She came back with a full crop and half a big fish.
It was pretty chilly, but I previously posted about how tough bird embryos can be to cooling down. An osprey camera in Chesapeake Bay recorded a similar incident in 2016. It had been chilly and rainy, and on May 5 and 6 of that year the female and male left the 3 eggs unattended for over 7 hours. Sound similar?? It was a chilly 42 degrees [ ~5,5*C ] and constant chilly rain the whole time. So we can assume that the three eggs chilled to 42 degrees. Yikes! But remarkably 2 of the 3 eggs hatched!!!
So there is good precedent that Iris's eggs are still viable!

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... 2613556909

As third, I deeply trust in wisdom of each mama and both of parents. Although even experienced pairs make mistakes and e.g. left eggs or tiny chicks unguarded and they are taken by crows, ravens, great horned owls, goshawks, eagles, or by racoons or martens. The worst for north-east European ospreys in last 2 years seem goshawks. They are like a plague :cry:

I know, I am sure, dear Birdfriend, that you do know all that, but I would like to comfort you :shake: - this nest is starting, all is open :)
Let's we thing positively and keep fingers crossed for all our beloved and known nests !!!

Btw, allow me, please, for some 'off topic' here -
:headroll: WWWOOOWWW, I am so extremally happy and surprised that Iris returned again to her nest in Hellgate, Montana. She is not banded/ringed, but she's 26 years old !!! as estimated Dr. Greene. So, she is the oldest known observed osprey, YAY :))) She is a phenomenon for ornithologits !!!
But, unfortunately, last years are unlucky for her, her motherhood. The last her baby it was L'el'e in 2018, brave and strong daughter, the only from three who survived during massive flood making fishing by parents almost impossible.
How is going to be this season ... ? her genes are so great and it would be pity to lost them. But there are missing males in this area, so ... :whistling:

Other senior osprey lady who returned again, is MrsG in Glaslyn, north-west Wales :)))
She also is not ringed but observed from the very beginning and estimated as born in 2000, so she is 21 years old, the second, after Iris, world known osprey senior lady ;))) She already laid two eggs last days, on Apr 10 + 13 :)))!!! and of course the 3rd is expected :)

P.S. 1. I checked your nest - mum was seen since the very dawn and then dad came in soon :) Don't worry, be happy - as it's sung ;)
And sorry I'm late, I started in deep night, had some errands and fell in some dream at my laptop during writing ;)))

P.S. 2. As some explanation to my long post ;)
Our old and permanent chatters here know most of what I write, but we should remember about new ones, who step here for the first time wanting to learn about ospreys and other birds ... I still remember my first steps in watching ospreys and others, and got knowing this forum after some time. It's open for all, but sometimes seems to me like closed for several persons. Where is our new blood, hmmm ... ;) ?
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

Many thanks, Silver Girl, for your nice communication with me. :thumbs: :wave:

It looks the female like her long evening breaks, at the same time like yesterday she left the egg again alone.
Such a behaviour I saw rarely til now. The night temperatures are very cold in these days and it blows a cold wind.
Crows are regularly visitors, we can only observe how the things will going on...

Wow, Iris is 26 years old, really seldom for an osprey. Mrs.G is on of my favs, she is a grand dame and has great mother skills.
Uta

Post by Uta »

Good Evening all. :wave:
Its not unusal to no breed first egg.Constantly breed starts with egg2and any female do it after third egg if clutch is full.So they shortened the hatch between all chicks. :nod:
But for now,great news from Osprey nest Ramucka Forest in Poland.Sadly news&good news.First the sadly.Jedwabna isn`t back yet.They losing the signal over Sahara last year.The transmitter was old,could be drops or do not more transmit a signal. Now the good news,Napi is to this time not more alone.
German 4years young female is now on nest.Her ring is AR44 she is ringed in Brandenburg/Germany on 06-29-2017 in Oberhavel.She is one from 2 sibs.

Return to “Osprey”