Spring and Summer 2012 in Finland

A photographic record of seasonal changes in your area.
macdoum

Re: Spring and Summer 2012 in Finland

Post by macdoum »

Olga,thank you for the car trip to the store. Your countryside is very beautiful. The roads are so well kept and smooth...in spite of the hard winters you have every year.
I think Nappu is very well behaved. :nod:
We saw a squirrel again today in one of the ? spruce trees. There were three crows trying to drive him off but he stood his ground and even jumped at a crow when he got too close. :laugh: All this happened up in tree about 15 M of the ground.
Pine cones we have plenty for the squrrel to choose from.One ? spruce tree produces tons of ? cones like cattails. They are the bane of my O.H..they are falling by the barrowful at the moment with the rain. Last week they gave off yellow 'powder' that covers everthing around and makes my neighbour sneeze.. :mrgreen: He wants to cut it down but I don't agree. The squirrel was very happy there today.
:offtobed: Time for bed.Thank you Olga for all your stories and videos. :wave:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
Olga

Post by Olga »

:wave: Margossa, the squirrel eating tropical fruits looks lovely! I believe that our squirrels would like them too. And the squirrel resembles a lot of the red squirrels. It is so sweet. I have given apples for them some time, they looked surprised at first.

The video is just alright, congratulations for your first video!
SHoW(StorkaHolics of the World)
Olga

Post by Olga »

Today I have put the old feeder hanging on the perch between window and the apple tree:

Small birds seems to have accepted it.
Olga

Post by Olga »

The second feeder:

It is so dark here. Soon it will be pitch dark. Sun is going down in some minutes, at 18:27.
I have put a little lamp on ceiling of the feeder :laugh:

Olga

Post by Olga »

macdoum wrote:Olga,thank you for the car trip to the store. Your countryside is very beautiful. The roads are so well kept and smooth...in spite of the hard winters you have every year.
I think Nappu is very well behaved. :nod:
We saw a squirrel again today in one of the ? spruce trees. There were three crows trying to drive him off but he stood his ground and even jumped at a crow when he got too close. :laugh: All this happened up in tree about 15 M of the ground.
Pine cones we have plenty for the squrrel to choose from.One ? spruce tree produces tons of ? cones like cattails. They are the bane of my O.H..they are falling by the barrowful at the moment with the rain. Last week they gave off yellow 'powder' that covers everthing around and makes my neighbour sneeze.. :mrgreen : He wants to cut it down but I don't agree. The squirrel was very happy there today.
:offtobed: Time for bed.Thank you Olga for all your stories and videos. :wave :
:wave: Thanks, macdoum!

We too have a good cone year, so our squirrels will have not that difficult on winter how cold it ever will be. We are promised to get the first snow in next week!

I saw one squirrel running over the hill street close to the post boxes. He/she was coming to the hill top direction but.. I didn't see it on the feeder. Well, there are they, busy with their normal doings.

Please, macdoum, be stubborn with the neighbour! Sneezing is not that bad at all... :nod:
Manu

Post by Manu »

Olga wrote:I have put a little lamp on ceiling of the feeder
Wow,what a great idea :laugh: , your visitor (and we) are lucky ones...

The birds on the second feeder seems to be veeeery busy.
If the first snow arrive soon, the squirrels will have a lot of things to do... or the visit your feeder :mrgreen:
Olga

Post by Olga »

Manu wrote: Wow,what a great idea :mrgreen: , your visitor (and we) are lucky ones...

The birds on the second feeder seems to be veeeery busy.
The lamp needs a battery, but later I'll buy a small real lamp, like those in dollhouses. Hm.. the electric line may be a problem if some squirrel wants to taste it... :puzzled: oh, no. A battery lamp might be more safety, but it could be brighter than that one, it is a little pocket lamp.

I have to, I know there are millions of videos of squirrels, but the squirrels looks so fun eating a cake in Japan:

Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

First snow already..I hope it stays away a bit longer..but winter is approaching, that´s for sure.
Nice videos of the birds. A lamp on the ceiling sounds very nice:)

What if you saw this one day, Olga? :laugh:

maybe it has been posted before, I will remove it then..or if you don´t like it :nod:
Olga

Post by Olga »

Lussi, let it be, it is so fun! How on earth has it been made :rotf:
Olga

Post by Olga »

Charley! :loveshower:

Ear tassels are growing!

Olga

Post by Olga »

Today at 11:00

Manu

Post by Manu »

:hi: Charley, nice to see you again :laugh: .
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

Charley is getting ready for winter ...
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
IKat

Post by IKat »

A friend posted this photo....I find it very sweet....squirrel kisses.....

S7-Nori-F?
S8-Uno-M?
S9-Elo-F?

"There is nothing in which the birds differ more from man than the way in which they can build and yet leave a
landscape as it was before." ~ Robert Lynd
Olga

Post by Olga »

:wave: Thank you, Ikat! What alovely photo :laugh:

Here is fall going on, and squirrels have been seen a bit more often close to the house.
Today it was Mop's turn to appear on the feeder:

The first picture is a photograph:

screenshot
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

Mops knew you make a photo, she's posing and smiling for the photo! :D
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
Olga

Post by Olga »

Yes, Felis, the expression on Mops' face is something, she makes me laugh some times. Is she really smiling?? :puzzled: Tame she is not, nor anyone of our squirrels.

some more photos around the house. Here is seen the third feeder. It's getting colder. Today we have +5... Birds are more hungry!

asteria

Post by asteria »

Strange that squirrels are still in their "summer coats". In our forest they all became grey and with long hair on their ears.
Olga

Post by Olga »

Asteria, yes, all the squirrels I have seen lately are still wearing a red brown fur coat- But the tassels of Charley are growing! There are now about 6-10 mm long hairs on his ear tops.

But Mops is looking just the same as in summer. Normally they change fur about at the end of October.

Mops today. The video is not very sharp. I was interrupted while videotaping her visit... :rant: :D

Manu

Post by Manu »

Mops has always a smile on her face because she know YOU are behind the window and observe what she is doing :laugh: .

Return to “Seasons”