Spring and summer in Finland 2014

A photographic record of seasonal changes in your area.
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Spring and summer in Finland 2014

Post by Felis silvestris »

Olga has seen the first flowers of spring ...

A wonderful spring and summer to everyone on Squirrel Hill! I hope we will get to see a new generation of squirrels and also all of the "old" faces show up once in a while!
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

:gathering: Felis Thank you...now its Olgas turn. :wave: Happy spring & summer to Olga & all the squirrels,dogs,birds and people on Squirrel Hill :loveshower:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
Olga

Post by Olga »

It's spring!

The first flowers on the southern side of the hill:

A spruce harmed by a winter strom is still there down the hill by the post boxes:

A view up to the house seen from the little Hill road:

Parking place:
SHoW(StorkaHolics of the World)
Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

Beautiful pictures of Hepatica nobles - liverleaf and the surroundings on Squirrel Hill :loveshower:
Manu

Post by Manu »

Hi Olga and all others, nice to see you again. Spring is definitely arrived, it's great :loveshower:
Olga

Post by Olga »

I have some videos from last week:

24 th March

A Wood pigeon couple seems to visit the garden every day:

28th March.

Wood pigeons, a Black bird and a Finch

27th March
Mr Cocoa the small ear:

Mr Cocoa:
Olga

Post by Olga »

Today

29th March a short visit by mr Long tassel:
It could be Castano too. The lightning is difficult.
Castano is not that shy.. hm.. I can't say for sure.

Olga

Post by Olga »

Nanu has been at veterinarian, he had some back pain. The vet proposed that it's will be the time for him not to make very long walks.
He has got good medicine and feel much better as you can see.

Nappu was in Nuuksio National park.

29th March

Alone with Nanu at home

Next week we will go to the trimmer to brush his fur for summer time. For the moment the fur looks.. hm..fun... :D
The light brown under wear fur is pushing loose..(how to say, but you do understand what I mean. Lappish dogs have
the two layers of fur coat, and the lower one falls away for one time in a year, in the spring, female dogsloose the under coat also when they have heat time.
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

Nanu looks good, even with his a bit shaggy fur. I understand what you want to say, Olga, many animals have a winter fur and a summer fur. They shed the winter one, sometimes need a bit of help.

So nice to see spring on Squirrel Hill! :nod: I hope it is going to be a good year! :wave:
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
Olga

Post by Olga »

Thanks, Felis! Nanu is :slap: an old dog.. my little baby dog has reached the age of 15 years. Let's hope that next summer is fine, not too hot, not too dry not too wet either.. :D

The ground is still hard and icy. It's not much one is able to go there in the garden.
Margossa

Post by Margossa »

:hi:

Thank you Olga for beautiful picture of spring flowers. :bow:
I see that in your area spring finally returned.
You are lucky. :thumbs: I saw only a few times Wood pigeons because they are very timid birds.
Thank you also for wonderful videos and pictures of squirrels.
:loveshower: It's nice to see Nanu in your garden. He looks good and happy. Nanu is very handsome dog.

:wave:
Manu

Post by Manu »

Nanu looks so lovely. I hope his back pain will not be too bad.
Bea

Post by Bea »

Olga - liverwort makes one feel like spring, doesn´t it? They are so lovely flowers.

In the video Nanu moves "relaxed" ... sometimes our old fellows need a bit of treatment, too. When my doggie (10,5 years old and a big dog) gets up a bit harder on some day, I know how he feels, because I do get up harder on some days meanwhile, too :laugh:

Hope that squirrels on Squirrel Hill have a "rich" spring and summer :shake:
Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
Olga

Post by Olga »

I was a short while at home, and Paula was there. I saw her nipples - do you know what it means - :loveshower: There are Paula's new born pups somewhere!

I was hurry, decided to take a short video, and suddenly she jumped almost on my nose! :rotf:

Huh, now I ahve to run!!!

edit: I'll add the videos if Paula here:

25 cm far from my face :D behind the glass though
Olga

Post by Olga »

It's really spring:

'Gracy' people spending time and fishing on a thin ice cover on the lake Whitträsk in Southerbn Finland, some 8 km from Squirrel hill:

..it's a fact that it is very dangerous... some people have already lost their life as the ice has broken under them in this spring..Well perhaps those people today have suitable equipments to get from the water..

Olga

Post by Olga »

A surprising news! :laugh:

Mrs Titian is not Mrs Titian, it's the 'original Mops', from the spring and summer 2012! It has to be. How to prove the question??

Anyway I am 98,9 % sure of this.

I watched videos whinch are waiting, and these screen captures, and some certain old pictures were rising up in my memory,.. Mops, a very good looking squirrel female with a special expression like a 'smile' on her face, deep red brown fur and dark, almost black tassels.. you will see. It's true, that she resembles our Mops Jr! The original Mops is back!! :loveshower:

Mops ( she got a temporary name 'Mrs Titian' for some weeks) on the 1st April 2014:
it's perhaps the same with Mrs Titian, yesterday:

Three videos follow:
Olga

Post by Olga »

This is Mrs Mops :laugh:

Mops Jr resembles her, and that's why he got the name Mops Jr (he has not been seen lately, as well as are some other males seen just seldom...)
Olga

Post by Olga »

Mrs Mops above on the previous videos is the same squirrel as here:

2012 in the spring:
There behind the link you can see several pictures of Mrs Mops in April and May 2012, but also a collection of pictures from earlier in the spring 2012. It was then she got the name "Mops" b c of the shape of her body.. :laugh:

viewtopic.php?p=137330#p137330
May 2nd, 2012
spatz

Post by spatz »

:hi:
what a good news by paula. eventually their children will definitely come to you. everything good for your old man nanu, he's such a nice teddy.
Olga

Post by Olga »

Yes, it possible that the squirrel, as an example, who was named as Mops Jr is an offspring of Mrs Mops (their color and face simiraties!..remember, this just an opinion, not any 'knowledge'), and that's why he, the young male has moved further to search a fianche not too close relative to him. Baby face is (might be) Paula's offspring, and he too has moved. But it is possible that they return as soon as the mating time is over... Well, squirrel females deliver 2-3 litter between spring and summer. Let's hope we will see them, Baby face and Mops Jr, before next fall!

BTW, I saw Charley yesterday. A video is waiting.

Return to “Seasons”