Pictures and Information about White Storks

Ciconia ciconia
asteria

Re: Pictures and Information about White Storks

Post by asteria »

lianaliesma wrote:There are 5... the youngest is so tiny and weak ..
But at least alive.
lianaliesma

Post by lianaliesma »

May 16, 2015

15.30 Now only 4 little ones
We are living in a dangerous age. Human beings dominate nature, before they have learned to control themselves. -Albert Schweitzer
I have been studying the traits and dispositions of the so-called "lower animals" versus the traits and dispositions of man. The result humiliates me. - Mark Twain
lianaliesma

Post by lianaliesma »

May 17, 2015

We are living in a dangerous age. Human beings dominate nature, before they have learned to control themselves. -Albert Schweitzer
I have been studying the traits and dispositions of the so-called "lower animals" versus the traits and dispositions of man. The result humiliates me. - Mark Twain
lianaliesma

Post by lianaliesma »

20.30 :offtobed:
Bleggi

Post by Bleggi »

White storks in Höchstadt (Hoechstadt)/Aisch, Germany. http://www.storchennest-hoechstadt.de/live-cam

White storks in Röttenbach (Roettenbach), Germany http://www.roettenbach-erh.de/webcam/webcam.html
:hi:
ame

Post by ame »

the white storks in Koski Tl in Finland appear to be incubating. this is the first known attempt of white storks breeding in Finland.
see: viewtopic.php?p=384915#p384915

the nest has been visited by at least 1000 bird friends who have been sensitive enough to stay at safe distance from the nest, most in their cars on the nearby road.

a web camera has been recently installed at about 30 m distance from the nest:
http://tl-turvatekniikka.fi/haikarakamera.html

the camera is an ordinary surveillance camera which is installed on the roof of a warehouse at about 30 m - 40 m away from the nest platform. the image is enlarged 20-fold. local firms and the town of Koski are providing the transmission from the nest for our delight. thank you! :wave:

the camera is unfortunately on a lower level than the nest so we cannot see inside. this morning i have been able to see the head of the incubating parent who is sitting low in the nest.

we shall, however, be able to deduce if "a stork has visited in the nest" by the behaviour of the parents. :rolleyes:
the happy family event is expected to take place in the coming few days.

i took a screenshot of the camera view later.
Abigyl

Post by Abigyl »

Ame, It's very interesting !

Do you see WS in Finland often in Summer or it's a rare bird for you there?

I've never thought before about birds in Scandinavia because most of us are looking at Europe as one region.
But if one thinks better, it's logic because in the northern countries even in summer, the weather is cooler than in central Europe.
ame

Post by ame »

white storks are rare visitors in Finland and black storks are even rarer. i think whites are seen almost every year but blacks not.
many things change when one comes over the Gulf of Finland from Estonia to Finland. :D
Abigyl

Post by Abigyl »

Thanks Ame :hi:

Each day we learn something new...
hyypiö

Post by hyypiö »

The first storklet has hatched on the nest of white storks in Koski Tl Finland: http://tl-turvatekniikka.fi/haikarakamera.html
This is the first known attempt of white storks breeding in Finland.
ame wrote:the camera is unfortunately on a lower level than the nest so we cannot see inside. this morning i have been able to see the head of the incubating parent who is sitting low in the nest.
After this ame's post 12.6. they have moved the cam to a higher position. Now the cam is at the same level as the nest. The view could be better still. I was able to see the head of the storklet anyway when the parent got up. The stream is bad at least right now. Lots of viewers mayby because of baby news?
ame

Post by ame »

two storklets were seen in the first Finnish white storks' nest in Koski Tl on Sunday 21st of June.

:bounce: :bounce:
hyypiö

Post by hyypiö »

There were at least three storklets visible now (22:10-22:13) on the Koski Tl Finland nest. They were very active, moving around.
ame

Post by ame »

Turun Sanomat (the local newspaer) had today a short article about the storks in Koski Tl, Finland.

the third storklet has been found dead under the nest. some amateur ornithologists who had been observing the nest with telescopes had seen the parent throwing the lifeless chick out of the nest. there was a very heavy rain in Koski on Tuesday, with about 60 mm rainfall within the course of hours. this is thought to be a possible explanation of the chick perishing, says the article.
Katti

Post by Katti »

:chick: :chick:

ame

Post by ame »

The two storklets in the first-ever Finnish breeding of white storks
will be ringed on Tuesday next, writes the local newspaper Turun Sanomat on Saturday July 25th.

the names of the storklets will also be revealed to public on Tuesday. the storklets have grown well and fast and been making wing exercises recently. for the ringing the ornithologist Jouni Tittonen will be lifted to the nest with a basket crane.
ame

Post by ame »

the white storks in Koski Tl, Finland have been successfully ringed. :thumbs:

i remembered them too late so i missed the ringing. :slap:
i'll add a video later if i can find one.
ame

Post by ame »

i found some more information of the ringing of the storklets from the webpage of Auranmaan viikkolehti, a small SW-Finnish local newspaper:
http://www.avl.fi/2015/07/kosken-kattoh ... astettiin/

the article itself is in Finnish but there's a picture of one of the storklets.

the article says that the names given to the storklets are Kinttu and Kontti, which both mean 'leg' in everyday parlance. in English corresponding names could be Shin and Shank. the storklets were taken down to the ground for ringing and they took the operation calmly. both got two rings in their shin and shank: on the right leg the traditional metal rings and on the left legs plastic rings with big codes which can be read from a distance with binoculars of a telescope. the plastic rings seem to be sky-blue and the letter codes are F1 (Kinttu) and F2 (Kontti).
in this picture taken from from the video one can see the rings.

here's a video of the ringing which i found on the webpage of the local newspaper Turun Sanomat.
there isn't much information that could be heard. soon after the beginning a woman's voice asks why do the storklets remain so calm. the ringer aswers: "because their heads are inside bags." he continues: " if they could see you all around here with camera flashes the situation would be different." another man continues to the ringer: "they would peck your eyes first."
in the end the ringer says that the operation took about half an hour.

http://www.ts.fi/uutiset/turun+seutu/79 ... s+videolta
ame

Post by ame »

the paper issue of Turun Sanomat gave more information about Kinttu and Kontti, the first Finnish white storklets ever in known history of Finland on on July 29th 2015:

Kinttu (F1) weighed 2.7 kg and Kontti (F2) weighed 2.9 kg. the wing measurements were 31 cm for Kinttu and 32.5 cm for Kontti. during the ringing both parents circled near the nest and the other then remained in a tree nearby to keep an eye on what people were doing with their offspring.

Jouni Tittonen (who ringed the storklets) told that after the ringing the life of the stork family soon became normal again. he said that it is expected that the storklets will stay in their nest for about 2.5 weeks more before they will fledge. then their parents will still take care of them in the nearby fields. Tittonen also believes that the stork parents will return to Koski to breed again if no unexpected accident will happen during the migration.

we wish the storks good luck in the future! :thumbs:
macko50

Post by macko50 »

Agamon Hula, Israel 04.08.2015.

The first migrating white srorks have arrived to Hula valley, Israel.

Foto: Lior Kislev https://goo.gl/441stG

"One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals." - Mahatma Gandhi
George
http://madarlesok.lapunk.hu/
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

Wonderful picture, Macko!
The nature needs us not, but we need the nature

Return to “White Storks”