Health Problems

alice44

Re: Health Problems

Post by alice44 »

And here is another story sort of summing it all up

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... rdsfalling

but I would really be interested in any more information on the Swedish case of dead black birds.
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

More bird deaths - this time in Romania, and an explanation too - binge drinking.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/12170571
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

:faint: Apparently nobody told the poor birds that booze only makes you THINK you are warm in winter. Poor birds, but they probably "felt no pain" when they expired! :shake: (I know, a poor joke.)
Kitty KCMO
alice44

Post by alice44 »

And I heard the Italian birds died of over consumption (of some kind of seed?).

I notice often birds don't eat all that much fresh fruit, but the last time I was at Finley Wildlife refuge, which has a fair number of apple trees as a former farm area, I noticed the Towees were absolutely munching down on the apples -- I suppose alcohol might have been a danger for them.
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Dishwashers are a source of pathological fungii
According to The British Mycological Society journal published recently: fungii from dishwashers are harmful.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 29#FCANote

from our newspaper yesterday. The consequences I don't know. :puzzled:
Nor the solution.( have'nt read the full article...and there is,maybe copyright)

edit: e.g.Exopiala fungus is reported elsewhere in the home. Like bathroom,in the sauna,Turkish baths.
Its a fungus that loves 42° PLUS temps. for profligation.
I think its that black trace left around the bathtub or washing machine. :shock:
Its harmful.
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

In court these people were convicted for vet.medicines smuggling;

http://www.defra.gov.uk/news/2011/07/08 ... smuggling/
What next ? :slap:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

A study of the spread of Lyme disease and fears for the future. i.e. Biodiversity changes

http://www.amnh.org/sciencebulletins/

:thumbs: Good clear video.
Emily Dickinson
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

alice44 wrote:And here is another story sort of summing it all up

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... rdsfalling

but I would really be interested in any more information on the Swedish case of dead black birds.
About dead blackbirds in UK - they died of alcohol poisoning.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/20180091
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Very interesting Jo.
Chimega

Post by Chimega »

I just saw this topic the other day and this is the first chance I have had to post in it.

In regards to the red-wing blackbirds, found dead. This did not happen only in Arkansas. It also happened in Louisiana, as well, just days apart.

A lot of us in the owl groups were discussing it at the time it happened and I know the findings were that it must be because of fireworks and I quickly pointed out that this NEVER happens on the 4th of July, so why only one specific holiday, rather than any holiday that fireworks are set off?

I seriously doubt that it was the fireworks that caused them to fly to their deaths. :cry:
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

godfather searched for injured eagles

July 28, 2015 - A lot of you do not know about these eagles. It was mid-June with a wing fracture found in Brandenburg, whose cause is unknown. Its origin is unknown. Now it is maintained in the wild bird station looking for a godfather.

https://berlin.nabu.de/news/newsarchiv/ ... 19258.html

The injury to his left wing was not without. While the veterinary clinic in chaff fraction injury gets in some patients by rail and restraint in the handle, the medical repertoire has been expanded for this Eagle: with surgery had to be directed to the wing fracture. The medical team has done a great job here, because recently there is the sea eagle in the wild bird NABU station and continues to recover excellent.
Bea

Post by Bea »

☼ ☼ ☼

Reintroduction program of Northern Bald Ibises

Worrying effects of bio-logging discovered in reintroduced Northern Bald Ibises

http://waldrapp.eu/index.php/en/project ... biologging

Link to download for scientific paper
https://avianres.biomedcentral.com/arti ... 20-00223-8
Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
Rita

Post by Rita »

Thank you, Bea, for posting these links. Rather irritating. But good that we know. There will hopefully soon be other means to track without an impact to the well-being of the birds.
sova

Post by sova »

Thanks for the article, Bea
... and what is wrong with internal organs?
Questionable ...
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Rom New Years Eve- 2020/2021
Here's what happened last night in #Roma
Hundreds of birds have fallen to the ground in Via Cavour, precisely in the stretch between Termini Station and Santa Maria Maggiore.
The strange episode would be attributable to the terrible noise of the New Year's barrels, which would have caused the birds, frightened and disoriented, to collide with the high voltage wires or against the windows of the buildings in the area.
As you can see from the images, it is a real death of birds. During the night hundreds of starlings crashed in the last stretch of Via Cavour, between Piazza dei Cinquecento and Santa Maria Maggiore.
Presumably these are the birds that usually stationed on the trees of the Termini station. For them the crash of New Year's Eve would have been fatal, during which the ordinance of the mayor Raggi, which forbade the explosion of barrels and fireworks, was literally ignored.
https://www.rainews.it/tgr/tagesschau/a ... lsl4m5aguY

Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

Liz, thank you for sharing!

It's horrible to read and see that. Poor little guys. Always again made by humans. :rant:
The nature needs us not, but we need the nature
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

TISKOVÁ ZPRÁVA DES OP Plzeň
Záchranná stanice živočichů Plzeň
6. 2. 2021
Další masakr u Velkého Boru /KT/.
Čtyři otrávení orli mořští na jednom místě!
Co to bude příště?
Pocit marnosti, vztek a beznaděj. O tomto víkendu jsme našli další čtyři otrávené mořské orly. Čtyři majestátní králové nebes s rozpětím křídel přes dva metry uhynuli v nervové křeči se zatnutými pařáty, sedící na patách s poloroztaženými křídly a skloněnou hlavou.
Pro nás jeden z nejdrastičtějších úhynů mořských orlů jsme řešili tuto sobotu (6. 2. 2021) kousek od hnojiště uprostřed ohradníkem obehnané pastviny pro skot pod Velkým Borem na Klatovsku........

https://www.facebook.com/desop.plzen/

Four poisoned sea eagles in one place!
What's next?
Feeling futile, angry and hopeless. This weekend we found four more poisoned sea eagles. The four majestic kings of heaven with a wingspan of over two meters died in a nervous spasm with claws clasped, sitting on their heels with their wings outstretched and their heads bowed.

For us, this Saturday (February 6, 2021), one of the most drastic deaths of sea eagles, we solved a short distance from the manure in the middle of a fenced pasture for cattle under Velký Bor in the Klatovy region.
A place where few lay people come and a place where someone exports animal by-products (residues) from slaughterhouses to a pile of manure. However, this time someone poured poison (Carbofuran) over pockets, skins, feathers, poultry runners and other organic residues.
The birds, which also function as health police in nature and destroy mainly carcasses, then learned to walk here for the remains, and this is exactly what happened to them. Everyone took something from the pile of poisonous remains, and a particularly torturous death twisted them right after the first few bites.

The case was handed over to the Police of the Czech Republic for investigation, which, according to an autopsy and analysis of the content of elected dead predators and secured traps, then decides how the case will be classified and investigated.
Even today, however, I dare say that 99% of these are intentional crime, animal cruelty, illegal handling and use of toxic substances, unauthorized disposal of animal by-products, poaching and the killing of several specially protected and critically endangered animals! Moreover, in this area, unfortunately, this is far from an isolated case; similar cases have a tradition here.
Given the seriousness of the case and the damage caused, we are considering a financial reward for helping to clarify this case. In the meantime, however, we have to wait for the individual analyzes, the further course of the investigation and especially the opinion of the authorities that should deal with the case first by law. However, if someone already has specific knowledge about these cases today, we will be happy if you help us to clarify this massacre of rare predators. Thank you.

GT.. sorry I'm not familiar with czech!
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Liz, thank you for sharing and translate in english.
The nature needs us not, but we need the nature
Solo

Post by Solo »

Liz01 wrote: February 8th, 2021, 1:28 pm GT.. sorry I'm not familiar with czech!
Liz,
Hana is Czech and her English is much better as my (I understand Czech language very well, but my English :blush: )
Susanne

Post by Susanne »

https://www.irec.es/en/publicaciones-de ... -espana/[b][/b]

<words in bold marked by me>

Increasing incidence of barbiturate intoxication in avian scavengers and mammals in Spain
09/06/2021
Barbiturate exposure poses an increasing risk of secondary intoxication for scavengers, which points out the need of a correct carcass disposal after euthanasia.

Currently, pharmaceuticals are considered emerging contaminants with a constated impact in wildlife. Among them, euthanasia agents are commonly used in veterinary medicine, and specially barbiturates.

Scientists from the Research Group in Wildlife Toxicology of the Instituto de Investigación en Recursos Cinegéticos (IREC – CSIC, UCLM, JCCM), in collaboration with the Environmental Research Institute of the University of the Highlands and Islands (United Kingdom), have studied the occurrence of barbiturate intoxications in wildlife and domestic animals from 2004 to 2020 in Spain corresponding to 3210 suspected intoxicated animals analysed.

From the total intoxicated animals diagnosed, barbiturate exposure was observed in 3.4% (45/1334). The incidence of intoxication of this group of chemicals has increased in the last years in Spain, which suggests that barbiturates used in euthanasia can pose an increasing risk for scavengers if the carcasses of these animals are abandoned in the field or in dumps.

The Eurasian griffon vulture was the avian scavenger most affected by barbiturate intoxications in Spain.

Pentobarbital was the most frequently detected barbiturate (42/45, 93.3%), but we also detected phenobarbital, barbital and thiopental (2.2% each). Avian scavengers were the group of species most affected by barbiturate intoxication (n = 36), especially the Eurasian griffon vulture (Gyps fulvus) (n=28). This compound was also detected in other avian scavengers including the Egyptian vulture (Neophron percnopterus), the cinereous vulture (Aegypius monachus) or the red kite (Milvus milvus). In addition, pentobarbital was detected in vomit from a Spanish imperial eagle (Aquila adalberti) which recovered after a long-time treatment in the “El Chaparrillo” Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre (Ciudad Real).

At least two big intoxication events affecting griffon vultures were linked to consumption of previously euthanized livestock. One of these events affected 8 griffon vultures, which were found dead showing pentobarbital residues in gastric content and liver, in addition, the tissues the euthanized foal also presented pentobarbital residues. Most of the intoxication cases in griffon vulture were detected in Navarra (67.9%). This suggests that a greater effort is needed in Navarra and other regions to control the disposal of carcasses containing residues of this pharmaceutical in order to prevent potential secondary intoxications.

Sample distribution in the present study and barbiturate prevalence by regions. Numbers correspond to animal species of intoxication cases. 1: Griffon vulture, 2: Egyptian vulture, 3: Cinereous vulture, 4: Eurasian buzzard, 5: Red kite, 6: Spanish imperial eagle, 7: Red fox, 8: Stone marten, 9: European badger, 10: Red squirrel, 11: Wild boar, 12: Domestic dog.

This study points out the need of the reinforcement of barbiturate use regulation to avoid secondary intoxications in wildlife, especially regarding the carcass disposal after euthanasia.

The scientific publication of this research is available at:

Herrero-Villar, M., Sánchez-Barbudo, I., Camarero, P. R., Taggart, M. A., Mateo, R. 2021. Increasing incidence of barbiturate intoxication in avian scavengers and mammals in Spain. Environmental Pollution 284, 117452.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... d=coauthor

Return to “Stories and News”