Estonian Osprey Nest (Ivo & Iiris) 2020

Summi

Re: Estonian Osprey Nest (Ivo & Iiris) 2020

Post by Summi »

Meanwhile I'm watching the Glaslyn osprey nest in Wales, one of the chicks CK2 took off and came back. Beautiful and exciting. :thumbs:
Summi

Post by Summi »

It's raining in Võrumaa and probably now in Ilmatsalu too, so no ringing possible any more.
sova

Post by sova »

:hi:
Summi wrote: July 10th, 2020, 1:48 pm It's raining in Võrumaa and probably now in Ilmatsalu too, so no ringing possible any more.
14:00 ... rain

let's hope the best :2thumbsup:
Sunshine

Post by Sunshine »

Summi wrote: July 10th, 2020, 1:48 pm It's raining in Võrumaa and probably now in Ilmatsalu too, so no ringing possible any more.
:wave:
Hello, everyone,
Let us hope for tomorrow or the next days..
Sunshine

Post by Sunshine »

Owlie wrote: July 7th, 2020, 7:12 pm Here Google translation of the whole story with adopted osprets:
https://www.facebook.com/pklty/posts/41 ... __tn__=K-R
:hi: Owlie, thank you for this heart-warming successful adoption story! :D
Bea

Post by Bea »

☼ ☼ ☼

11. July

Hello osprey fans! :hi:

Got some "fresh" news about the cam and our osprey family

Despite the drizzle yesterday, Urmas went to the nest and ringed the osprets.
He found the whole family well, both osprets in the nest, adults also saw him and were in the area around the nest, complaining about the procedure. Iiris and Ivo ----> :rant:
:laugh:
The remained unhatched egg was taken out of the nest, for further examination.
That´s all the good news.

Urmas cleaned the cam outside, but it turned out that the bigger problem is inside, in the locked part of the camera. Some moisture is inside, most likely it came in via the cable, it is supposed that there is a damage in the protection cover. It was not possible to get inside this locked part to clean the glass cover of the lense, so the view is still foggy. Trying everything possible, two little holes were made in the closure, with the hope that with the change to dry weather moisture could dry out and clear the view.
As long as this won´t happen, the stream will not be published on YouTube, as they would stop streaming with the still foggy lense immediately again.

This picture is taken today in the morning, at 04:19, voice of osprets and an adult could be heard, so at this time at least one of the parents is again back on the nest after ringing. Maybe second adult also, maybe they were back even earlier, but that can´t be said for sure.

Let´s think positive and hope, that more dry weather and the holes will help to improve the view :2thumbsup:

Thank you Urmas, for all you do and for keeping us up-to-date :thumbs:
Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

Thank you Bea for information!
Was there any detail data of the genres/weights and ring number - or will they be given later?
Bea

Post by Bea »

Owlie wrote: July 11th, 2020, 12:47 pm :hi:

Thank you Bea for information!
Was there any detail data of the genres/weights and ring number - or will they be given later?
Yes, there are some more details, but they will be given later, when we will have (hopefully) a stream back.

And so we still have the anticipation and excitement ahead to discover the letters on the rings by ourselves :D
Jenny

Post by Jenny »

Thank you Bea for the information. Is there a new link, that we can view the nest, even if the camera is still damp. At least it would be a little helpfull to watch the nest with poor visibility.
Bea

Post by Bea »

☼ ☼ ☼

No, there is no link, there is no such kind of "backdoor" or "loophole", Jenny.
We have to wait until the situation has improved --- or not.

Meanwhile so many great hints to other osprey nests in other countries have been published, it is surely a good option to watch one or more of these meanwhile, and find out similarities and differences to our nest here, until .....
Summi

Post by Summi »

Thank you, Urmas and Bea. :wave:

We try to find comfort from the great news that both kids were on the nest and they got their ring-presents from Urmas as has been promised to them on their 1-month birthday! :loveshower:
So we were good trouble shooters from afar and identified the reason for the blurred view, thus both chicks were justly relieved from any "accusation" of poop shots on the lens. :mrgreen:
zuza

Post by zuza »

thank you very much for the information. last year, broadcasting was also on some website. you could watch there, but you could not rewind. It’s a pity that there’s no such opportunity right now. I was hoping to calculate how many fish Iiris would bring. but alas.
Sunshine

Post by Sunshine »

:wave:
Thank you Bea, for all the information! Thanks a lot to Urmas for his work!

It is very good to hear that the lovely osprey family are fine, and let's hope that we soon can see them again!
Summi

Post by Summi »

I have just noted that the Tartumaa nest cam has been deleted from the front page of Looduskalender. :shock:
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

Summi wrote: July 12th, 2020, 10:20 pm :hi:
I have just noted that the Tartumaa nest cam has been deleted from the front page of Looduskalender. :shock:
:cry:
Jenny

Post by Jenny »

Summi wrote: July 12th, 2020, 10:20 pm :hi:
:shock: Summi and Owlie, I have noticed this too and the only guess I have is, that they removed the cam to fix it. I really hope that this is the only reason.
Triin

Post by Triin »

Jenny wrote: July 12th, 2020, 10:41 pm :shock: Summi and Owlie, I have noticed this too and the only guess I have is, that they removed the cam to fix it. I really hope that this is the only reason.
It's just the link on LK frontpage. I think they didn't want to show the cam that is not public currently.

The view has improved slightly. Two chicks in the nest - eating by themselves and doing wing excercises occasionally.
Jenny

Post by Jenny »

Thank you Triin to let us know.
It is reassuring to hear that our two ospreys from Ivo and Iiris are in good health and doing well, that they are already practicing flying and eating the fish by themselves brought by Ivo. What moves us all here in the forum, we are cut off from this happening. Now we have a camera in a nest where chicks have been killed, this cam works fine, but life is over there. It is not my right to dictate anyone what should be done, but I'm a person if something is not working properly in my house, I will do my utmost to fix it. Sorry, this is just my opinion.
Cessie

Post by Cessie »

Thank you, Trin. it good to know that everyone is fine and that the camera lens is clearing up. We are all missing the nest, and hoping that very, very soon, that the camera will be back online. :bow:
:thumbs:
Sunshine

Post by Sunshine »

Triin wrote: July 13th, 2020, 7:12 am Two chicks in the nest - eating by themselves and doing wing excercises occasionally.
:hi: Thank you very much, Triin, it is very good to hear that both chicks are fine!

That is, after all, what matters the most. Without doubt, Urmas and Kotkaklubi have done all that was possible in the given circumstances in order to get the camera back online.

One can assume that any more serious intervention with the camera (like, changing the whole cable or even putting on a new camera) is a disturbance for the birds, and the right of this osprey family to have a peaceful nesting should have a priority over our eagerness to see them again.

Return to “Osprey Webcam Forum”