Estonian Osprey Nest Mai & Mati ~DISCUSSION 2016

Gavril

Re: Estonian Osprey Nest Mai & Mati ~DISCUSSION 2016

Post by Gavril »

lianaliesma wrote:Similar was with Ulla and Grey in 2013 in Latvian osprey nest...
I think that Neeme flew with Mai somewhere to learn fishing... :nod:
:hi: Don't want to think that during exercise, fishing with Neeme trouble occurred. :shock: It is possible that Mai fishing, Neeme takes the fish and eats it in the vicinity of the reservoir. He has no need to fly to the nest....In any case, this version relaxes me.
Gavril

Post by Gavril »

Good day! :hi: And again I thought that this season was tough. First mysteriously disappeared the first (second?) chick (owl...a marten...an accident?). Now Neeme. What happened to him? Already left on migration with mom Mai (early!)...got on high-voltage line....unsuccessful fishing (early!). This is abnormal or normal for bird life? :book:
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

Gavril wrote:Good day! :hi: And again I thought that this season was tough. First mysteriously disappeared the first (second?) chick (owl...a marten...an accident?). Now Neeme. What happened to him? Already left on migration with mom Mai (early!)...got on high-voltage line....unsuccessful fishing (early!). This is abnormal or normal for bird life? :book:
Yes, it is not a good season in this year for the most bird species. I ask me also, what could be happened with Mai and Neeme. Both disappear at the same day. Most likely, we will it never know. :faint: We can only puzzle over this event.
The nature needs us not, but we need the nature
cling09

Post by cling09 »

Gavril wrote: This is abnormal or normal for bird life? :book:
u should see other nests,
this is my 1st season to watch, found so many osprey live cams,
almost every nest has its tragedy,
ex: spirit, ceri, lativa, saker lost 2 eggs, kal2 lost small 1,BC lost 3 hatched chicks!
wild life is harsh, but it is the nature.
Summi

Post by Summi »

This season makes it quite clear that the nesting when all the eggs of the clutch hatch, hatchlings fledge and mature are exceptions rather than a rule, concerning not only ospreys.
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

Hellem wrote: Today Mati brought one big headless fish for Paavo, he didn't visit the nest more during the day, no new sticks nor homework as in previous days :laugh:
Thank you, Hellem! :wave:
Yes, the nest will empty more and more.... :bow:
Cessie

Post by Cessie »

Summi wrote:This season makes it quite clear that the nesting when all the eggs of the clutch hatch, hatchlings fledge and mature are exceptions rather than a rule, concerning not only ospreys.
Summi, this is true.
Cessie

Post by Cessie »

:wave: Birdfriend, please not yet!
I do want Paavo and Mati to have a perfect migration, but one more week please.
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

Poor Mati cannot believe, that Paavo not more call and wait for fish.and I also not :faint:
Cessie

Post by Cessie »

Hellem....
:cry:
We will see tomorrow and Monday if 'our' Paavo has left us for an early migration
Bea

Post by Bea »

There is a new osprey whose ways we can follow now on the birdmap, with autumn migration 2016 --- Vadim
He is in Russia now, not far from Lake Peipus

Link to migration map
http://birdmap.5dvision.ee/EN/
Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
Elli

Post by Elli »

What's going on in the forest? Since 15:45 I look here and listen such a lot of gun shots. Sometimes close and sometimes a bit further for nearly an hour.
Is in Estonia already hunting season, or what happens?
Bea

Post by Bea »

The nest is not far from a military base, one can hear gunshots and truck noises and traffic like this all over the year ;)
Elli

Post by Elli »

Bea wrote:The nest is not far from a military base, one can hear gunshots and truck noises and traffic like this all over the year ;)
Thank you, Bea. It is not beautiful, but now I know what was going on :wave:
Elli

Post by Elli »

When it was quiet again, complied with this cute visitor 8-)
Cessie

Post by Cessie »

I have a question. With the numbers that we can clearly see on Mati's ring, can they be identified in a database? Even a partial set of numbers?
It would be nice to know more about Mati, and I would think that the ringers would like to know how the ringed birds are doing.
Cessie

Post by Cessie »

:[/quote]

Me too! Lovely[/quote]

Elisabetta Pamina, thoughts and prayers, for you and all affected in Italy, from the earthquake today. :(
elisabetta-pamina

Post by elisabetta-pamina »

Cessie wrote::
Me too! Lovely[/quote]

Elisabetta Pamina, thoughts and prayers, for you and all affected in Italy, from the earthquake today. :([/quote]

Thank you very much. My mother is in Abruzzo, some 80 kms away from the seismic epicentre, was woken up in the middle of the night by the earthquake, said that the house shaked for quite a long time (at least 20 seconds), but was all right. This is the effect of distensive movement through many small faults / rifts in the Apennines. Thank you very much for your kind thought.
Konrad

Post by Konrad »

:wave: Could someone kindly give information about the nests built by Kotkaklubi (or Estonian Ornithological Society) members? This is perhaps not the right thread for the question, but you as readers of this thread will understand what I mean, because you know Mai’s and Mati’s nest.

I have been watching this nest since the spring this year, but I must be half-blind, as I didn’t notice it to be partly artificial until yesterday morning. It had rained during the night and therefore the round wooden beams under the nest were easier to recognize. The color was closer to brown than when they are dry and it was possible to see that they are newer, harder and thicker wood than the branches and twigs brought to the nest by the ospreys themselves.

So the question is: has Kotkaklubi built such supporting structures or platforms also for other bird species than ospreys? Like WTEs, for example?

There was information, that artificial nests for ospreys were built for some years ago during the ESTLAT project. Only ospreys were mentioned there. This far I have found out, that all the osprey nests followed by Looduskalender video cameras are either lying on a human-made platform or have at least some supporting structure installed by humans.

The reason for the question is especially the unfortunate breaking of Anna’s and Uku’s WTE nest because of heavy rain and a storm thereafter. It has also been previously reported in many countries, that some nests of WTEs and Golden Eagles have either broken in storm or fallen down remaining pretty whole nests. Would it be wise to build some supporting structures also for new natural nests of WTEs if not done yet in Estonia?
Bea

Post by Bea »

Hello Konrad - good question ....

I suppose that acceptance of artificial nest constructions/fundaments is generally much bigger at ospreys than at WtEs.
As far as I know WtEs are pretty particular about the place for their nests and very sensitive about disturbances.
Ospreys are migrating birds and artificial nests can be repaired or built new during their absence, WtEs (specially adults with an established nest) are more faithful to their habitat, but of course roaming around farther, too.
Camera and solar panels were installed at Anna´s and Uku´s nest, too ..... with much sensivity for the right time/moment and with the risk that it could stay an empty nest though ....

The place Anna and Uku chose for their nest was perfect ---- plenty of food to raise even three eaglets successfully ....

I think patience is needed to see whether this couple will re-construct this nest on the same place ... currently they seem to be still busy with providing the eaglets -but later in autumn (october/november) would be the time for their decision to built a new nest on another place or a new one on the same place ...

The first choice is probably to see what they will do on their own initiative instead of offering an artificial solution.

I forwarded your question to Urmas and maybe we can get more informations from him. But this sometimes takes a bit time - the guys are always busy :D

Return to “Osprey Webcam Forum”