Estonian Osprey Nest (Ivo & Iiris) 2019

Kitarr

Re: Estonian Osprey Nest (Ivo & Iiris) 2019

Post by Kitarr »

20:53 Ivo first flew from behind the cam over the nest with the fish, Iiris jumps from the cam onto the nest and Ivo returns, delivering the fish.

21:10 Iiris is blocking the view a bit but I think only 1 chick is eating at the moment. The other 2 are still full/ not interested (yet) :2thumbsup:
Summi

Post by Summi »

17:08
There was also a delivery of fish by Ivo.
So it makes nine fish brought on the nest today - 7 by Ivo and 2 by Iiris. :thumbs:
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

Summi wrote: July 9th, 2019, 9:18 pm 17:08
There was also a delivery of fish by Ivo.
So it makes nine fish brought on the nest today - 7 by Ivo and 2 by Iiris. :thumbs:
:thumbs:
HelenL44

Post by HelenL44 »

Off-topic question:
Do any of you have a word for the sound a female osprey makes when calling for fish? I'm doing some writing about our osprey family and would like to put into words how that call sounds. As an example, it would be like using "moo" for a cow, "meow" for a cat, "arf" for a dog. In any language would be appreciated. You can message me privately to keep it off the board. Thanks for any help, or even guesses.
Helen S.
Kitarr

Post by Kitarr »

July 10th

:wave: Good morning everyone!
8:33 Ivo brings a fresh fish and Iiris starts feeding the chicks

8:45 one chick is eating, another is preening and one uses the fish as a pillow :laugh:
Maria&Xavier

Post by Maria&Xavier »

10:07
Very nice sequence of events, maybe someone more skilled than me can do a little movie...

Miina is on the far tree, starts to shout for Ivo who is coming with a fish. She flies to the nest. Then Ivo from the far also lands to the nest with a fish. Iiris is at the opposite side of the nest, so she cannot reach the fish. She tries to go to the fish but one ospret peaks hear. Ivo leaves the fish. When trying again to reach the fish, Iiris receives another peack from a second ospret. Now is clear: the little ones are "defending" their fish so they do not let mom to have it. Then the third ospret peaks the fish itself. Finally, Iiris advances to the fish, takes it and starts to feed the offspring. It was interesting to see the concerted action of the three osprets trying to defend the fish and serve theirselves :D 8-)
Summi

Post by Summi »

Dear osprey fans :hi:
Kitarr, thank you for noting the time Ivo brought the 2nd fish. :thumbs:
Both the 1st fish at 7:09 and the 3rd one at 10:06 were also brought by Ivo, the Great Fisherman. Now it should be Iiris' turn. :rolleyes:
Sunshine

Post by Sunshine »

Good day! :wave:
So nice to be back again :D

Still a few pictures/events of this morning..

04:01
Iiris comes to the nest and feeds chicks the fish tail which was in the nest.

05:22
Wing exercises

06:51
Examining the world

Sunshine

Post by Sunshine »

07:08
Three focused eyes :laugh:

07:09
Fish No 1 of the morning

07:09
The fish got loose and started jumping around the nest. It gave one of the osprets a good smack with it's tail..

Sunshine

Post by Sunshine »

08:32
Iiris comes to the nest

Hey, mum, why did you come just like that, without a fish?! :whistling:

Ivo brings fish No 2, the one Kittar already mentioned

Sunshine

Post by Sunshine »

Summi wrote: July 10th, 2019, 1:49 pm Both the 1st fish at 7:09 and the 3rd one at 10:06 were also brought by Ivo, the Great Fisherman.
Summi, :wave:

10:06
Fish No 3

Little warm-up before the meal

Osprets have started to peck at Iiris. It's not so easy for her to get to the fish 8-)

She gets hold of the fish eventually and feeds half of it to the chicks. Then leaves the rest in the nest.
Summi

Post by Summi »

Sunshine wrote: July 10th, 2019, 2:10 pm 08:32
https://up.picr.de/36219337oc.jpg
Sunshine, I'm happy you're back together with great pics, especially the surprised look of the fish where it has been brought. :thumbs: Though I'm sorry for the fish.

15:00 Ivo landed with a fish
balistar

Post by balistar »

:hi:

Sunshine, also nice to see you're back with beautiful pictures and comments :D
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

16:38
:wave:
I open the cam view and see Iiris tearing a fresh fish #4? - I don't know who and when delivered it, only one ospret joins her for feeding. The fish is of a kicking sort, so I suppose it was brought alive and not very long ago.

16:59
Iiris leaves for the dead tree

17:03-17:04
Struggle, one aggressive and two submissive osprets. Soon IIris arrives to bring peace into the nest. There are apparently leftovers of the previous fish as Iiris starts feeding two of the osprets, a moment later only one.
Kitarr

Post by Kitarr »

16:28 Ivo delivered the fish :wave:
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

Kitarr wrote: July 10th, 2019, 5:04 pm 16:28 Ivo delivered the fish :wave:
:wave:
Thanks Kitarr! Was is so TEN minutes before my notice? The poor fish was kicking a long time then ...

18:00
Fish #5 by Ivo, a headless one, feeding starts, Iiris blocks the view, but at least one ospret is being fed, both other two behind Iiris are looking to another direction.

18:13
It looks like Iiris can enjoy the rest of the fish by herself ...

19:12
Iiris flew in with a headless fish #6 - chicks gather to think whether there is something interesting to come ... Two of them are interested and Iiris plays her role as feeder as expected

about 19:36
One ospret is working on a fish tail left from the latest fish trying to swallow it. But there is more than the tail to tear ... :mrgreen: s/he is brave, doesn't give up :mrgreen: Did s/he do it, swallowed the tail? 19:44? There are still some leftovers and s/he wants to eat them ... This chick presents proud wing exercises after the bravado - I assume this is Oldie :D

20:25
I was away and see Iiris tearing a fish (#7 ?) again - I can't say if it is a new delivery or leftovers, she is eating all by herself. At the end of the fish one chick attends feeding
Summi

Post by Summi »

@Owlie
18.00 fish is #6, so by now 8 fish - 7 by Ivo and 1 by Iiris.
Great parents provide the kids with the freshest fish all the time. 8-)
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

The osprets preen themselves a lot - is it down that tickles giving space for feathers? :puzzled:

22:15
Ivo in with a headless fish (Summi pls count the #), Iiris takes over, first and second ospret join the feeding

22:22
The bigger chick fights with the fish tail ... it looks s/he succeeds with swallowing it :shock:
S/he doesn't give up ... it takes time ... 22:28 s/he gave up :mrgreen:
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

Sunshine wrote: July 10th, 2019, 2:03 pm 07:08
Three focused eyes :laugh:

https://up.picr.de/36219333zc.jpg
Six eyes so far... :laugh: :wave:
The nature needs us not, but we need the nature
ExpertOfNothing

Post by ExpertOfNothing »

Maria&Xavier wrote: July 10th, 2019, 11:16 am 10:07
Very nice sequence of events, maybe someone more skilled than me can do a little movie...
According to your order:

Return to “Osprey Webcam Forum”