Estonian Osprey Nest (Ivo & Iiris) 2019

Owlie

Re: Estonian Osprey Nest (Ivo & Iiris) 2019

Post by Owlie »

I guess the chicks feel cold, as they still, after the rain, cuddle and gather together under Iiris' feathers. ... Yes, it rains again :slap:
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

This rainy weather is hard for the family, parents cannot fish when they can't see the fish through the broken water surface. Iiris can not leave her chicks even for trying to fish ... :slap:
She is almost acrobatic in her will to try to shelter her offspring from the cold rain :bow: :slap:
And it would be important to get food in order to cope with the coldness :slap:
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

21:26 or 21:27
Ivo, the Fisherman, comes in with a headless fish :loveshower: and Iiris starts feeding. All three have a good position and get food :thumbs:
(I think I know who is Smallie - the one in North, the absolutely most eager one :mrgreen: )

21:40
Feeding over

Not long after the feeding Iiris started to 'whatsapp' to Ivo, that even more is needed ...

The chicks gather close to each other to keep the cold out, they are all wet ... But all of them are already covered with feathers, that should draw out he water for the most
balistar

Post by balistar »

July 08

Good morning everyone :hi:

Owlie, thanks for your extensive reports of yesterday evening.

04:49 two osprets are already awake on a beautiful early morning :D

04:54 all three awake, stretching, sitting up, preening
little birds are singing their morning song
balistar

Post by balistar »

05:20 it started raining again :slap:
Iiris immediately came to nest to shelter her kids

05:21 two, i think Middlie and Smallie, search place under Iiris' tail, rain gets stronger

05:22 Iiris tries devotedly to cover them, at least the heads and parts of their bodies

05:23 Iiris stands in the middle, between her feet and under her tail jostle Middlie and Smallie, Iiris stands with wings parted open, bending over Oldie with her chest protectively
balistar

Post by balistar »

06:10 sun rises, it's still raining, the moisture settles like mist over the forest

Iiris is flanked to the left of Middlie, to the right of Oldie, Smallie cuddles in the middle between her feet. Smallie always has the "Prince or Princess Square" :laugh:
Jenny

Post by Jenny »

09:01
At the same time Iiris and Ivo brought fishes to the nest. The chicks are hungry and the portions are going to be distributed
hungry chicks
Håkan

Post by Håkan »

More fish coming in! 11:19
Laemmergeier

Post by Laemmergeier »

Does anyone from your experts what kind of bird was flying above the nest at about 11.17 this morning ?
there was a alarmcall and the chicks lied flat down !
Håkan

Post by Håkan »

I also noticed that alarm, but a minute later Ivo came with a fish and everything seemed normal again.
Kitarr

Post by Kitarr »

Laemmergeier wrote: July 8th, 2019, 12:04 pm Does anyone from your experts what kind of bird was flying above the nest at about 11.17 this morning ?
Hi Laemmergeier :wave:
I'm no expert but I checked rewind on youtube and I only see mom Iiris, who sat on top of the cam, making alarmcalls and flying away at that time.
Could be some intruder nearby but I didn't see it.

Owlie

Post by Owlie »

Kitarr wrote: July 8th, 2019, 1:32 pm Hi Laemmergeier :wave:
I'm no expert but I checked rewind on youtube and I only see mom Iiris, who sat on top of the cam, making alarmcalls and flying away at that time.
Could be some intruder nearby but I didn't see it. ...
That was a UFO - looks like the bird has double wings, more like a drone than a bird.
To be serious, I really hope that the amateur drones never approach our cam - or other - nests! Never! It is important that the physical situations of the nests don't become public and risk human disturbance. I know that ornithologists use drones at least in Finland, when they survey predators' nest situations = chicks, early in the spring, may they be the only drone users who have access to the nest areas!

15:28 or 15:29
Iiris arrived calling
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

There was a delivery that I didn't see, I was away, the feeding is going on at 16:00, Iiris turns her back to the cam so we cannot see who are fed, all chicks hide behind her :mrgreen: The feeding was short from the time I saw it.
at ab 16:15 one of the chicks (in North) finds a fish tail and is trying to swallow it, s/he is truly working on it :thumbs: I didn't see the result of the try, the chick turned around.

I was away again. Now 16:28 I see a chick in the North trying to work on that fish tail again - can't tell who of them ...
Kitarr

Post by Kitarr »

:wave: At 15:45 Iiris came with the headless fish.
aita

Post by aita »

Laemmergeier wrote: July 8th, 2019, 12:04 pm Does anyone from your experts what kind of bird was flying above the nest at about 11.17 this morning ?
:hi:
It was IIRIS.
She took off from cam.
Why was alarm call I do not know.
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

Kitarr wrote: July 8th, 2019, 4:27 pm :wave: At 15:45 Iiris came with the headless fish.
:wave:
Thanks, Kitarr :thumbs:
Kitarr

Post by Kitarr »

16:30 a chick is eating by itself from the (leftover) fish and now another chick is interested as well :laugh:
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

Now I see two chicks working on the fish tail in North of the nest :thumbs:
17:05
Ivo delivers a nice headless fish. Iiris starts tearing of it and the first ospret is with her
Kitarr

Post by Kitarr »

17:04 Iiris was still feeding from the last fish when Ivo brings another big fish :2thumbsup:
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

Once again I see Iiris tearing a fish (maybe leftovers?) - and I didn't see the delivery ...

Return to “Osprey Webcam Forum”