Migration Maps, Tõnn, Greater Spotted Eagle and Black Storks
Hellem

Re: Tõnn's Travels

Post by Hellem »

pica :wave: , I trust the opinion of French experienced birdwatchers
Michi

Post by Michi »

Tõnn today, 08.11.2019

All views are to the north, the viewing height here is 749 m.

Viewing height is 531 m.

Tönn flew to the other side of the little airport. I hope the airport (it is probably only for small airplanes) is not a real danger for him?
Viewing height is 1,94 km.

pica wrote: November 8th, 2019, 7:05 pm does anybody have an answer to my question above? thank you birdwatchers :help:
Pica :wave: , not that I would understand any of it :rolleyes: - and Hellem :hi: is most likely right - but I would like to look at the photos you mean.
Do you have once more the links to them, please? I'm afraid I can't find the pictures by myself.
sova

Post by sova »

Michi wrote: November 8th, 2019, 7:52 pm ...
Pica :hi: , not that I would understand any of it :rolleyes: - and Hellem is most likely right - but I would like to look at the photos you mean.
Do you have once more the links to them, please? I'm afraid I can't find the pictures by myself.
I'm not pica ... maybe i can help too :D

viewtopic.php?f=65&t=32&start=1400
viewtopic.php?f=65&t=32&start=1440
viewtopic.php?f=65&t=32&start=1460
viewtopic.php?f=65&t=32&start=1500
pica

Post by pica »

Michi wrote: November 8th, 2019, 7:52 pm Pica :hi: , not that I would understand any of it :rolleyes: - and Hellem is most likely right - but I would like to look at the photos you mean.
here the link to the ornithos in france with the corresponding pics (aigle criard)

http://www.ornitho.fr/index.php?m_id=5& ... ent_page=5

if you scroll, you can see the different photos.

no, i'm never in doubt of hellem either, but i'm still learning :thumbs:
Michi

Post by Michi »

Many thanks, Sova and Pica :wave:
I'll have a look.
Hellem

Post by Hellem »

08.11 The second update today - 2591 km (+111 km), Tõnn flew to the SW direction and sent data from his overnight place in the forest near Nully in France
sigge

Post by sigge »

Michi

Post by Michi »

sigge wrote: November 9th, 2019, 12:46 am Tõnn in the papers :D
https://www.estrepublicain.fr/edition-d ... te-a-saone
Sigge :wave: What exciting news! Many thanks for sharing it with us.
It is a wonderful article! You can feel that the ornithologists in Franche-Comté really love Tõnn. :D

I've tried a translation. Some words in machine translation that seemed wrong to me, I've replaced by others. Hopefully it's o.k.; otherwise please let me know.

The original
Source: https://www.estrepublicain.fr/edition-d ... te-a-saone

L’aigle Tönn s’est arrêté à Saône

Venu d’Estonie et en route vers l’Espagne, ce très rare aigle criard a décidé de faire une pause au marais de Saône. Pour le plus grand bonheur des observateurs qui l’ont vu faire une petite sortie vers midi.

Photo: Claude Nardin

Tönn aime la Franche-Comté. Contrairement à la très grande majorité des aigles criards venus des marais russes ou d’Estonie, l’animal ne passe pas par Istanbul, Jérusalem ou le Soudan pour prendre ses quartiers d’hiver en Afrique de l’Ouest. Tönn est un Européen convaincu. Son chemin passe par l’Europe de l’Ouest et par la Franche-Comté pour se terminer au sud de l’Espagne, ou contrairement aux copains, il prend ses quartiers d’hiver.

C’est, entre autres, cette particularité qui fait la célébrité de cet aigle criard parmi les passionnés d’ornithologie. Depuis le nid d’Estonie, l’aigle, né en 2008, s’est fait poser une balise qui trahit tous ses déplacements. Une source d’études et d’enrichissements pour les scientifiques et les observateurs. Ceux-ci se sont vite donné le mot pour dire qu’il était à Saône comme une star en tournée.

Vu, observé et photographié à Badevel il y a quelques jours, il a quitté le sud de Tallinn, où il réside, le 1er octobre et a déjà parcouru quelque 2 300 km pour parvenir jusqu’à la commune franc-comtoise. Il devra en faire encore deux mille, environ.

« Un événement rare »

Le super rapace a commencé à tournoyer autour du marais de Saône mercredi, en fin d’après-midi. Le long de la RN 57, côté Saône, les observateurs étaient présents, dès ce jeudi matin, pour observer ses mouvements. Ils ont obtenu toute satisfaction à 12 h 35, pour une sortie plus tardive que prévue. L’aigle a volé au-dessus du marais de Saône, où il a semblé se plaire.

« On pensait un peu qu’il allait partir le matin. Mais il reste peut-être quelques jours pour se nourrir, se reposer. Le marais de Saône est typiquement le lieu qui lui convient », explique Samuel Maas, de la LPO. Pour lui, « c’est un événement rare qu’un aigle criard se trouve ici. Même si lui est déjà passé précédemment par la Franche-Comté, c’est un chemin qu’il a choisi dès 2009. » C’est peut-être le vent important venant de l’Ouest qui a incité Tönn à rester un peu plus longtemps que prévu. Il n’est visiblement pas si pressé d’arriver sur son lieu de vacances, en Espagne. Tant mieux pour le ciel de Franche-Comté.

Article by Philippe SAUTER

Translation:

Eagle Tönn stopped at Saône

Coming from Estonia and on the way to Spain, this very rare Greater Spotted Eagle has decided to take a break at the Saône marsh. To the delight of the observers who saw him make a short trip around noon.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/490 ... a4ec_z.jpg
Photo: Claude Nardin

Tönn loves Franche-Comté. Unlike the vast majority of Greater Spotted Eagles from Russian or Estonian marshes, the animal does not pass through Istanbul, Jerusalem or Sudan to take up winter quarters in West Africa. Tönn is a convinced European. His path passes through Western Europe and Franche-Comté to end in southern Spain, where, unlike his friends, he takes up his winter quarters.

It is, among other things, this particularity that makes this Greater Spotted Eagle famous among ornithology enthusiasts. Since the Estonian nest time the eagle, born in 2008, has had a transmitter placed on it that shows all its movements. A source of study and enrichment for scientists and observers. They quickly gave themselves the word to say that he was in Saône like a star on tour.

Seen, observed and photographed in Badevel a few days ago, he left the south of Tallinn, where he lives, on 1. October and has already covered some 2.300 km to reach the Franche-Comté municipality. He'll have to do about two thousand more.

<< A rare event >>

The super bird of prey began to circle around the Saône marsh on Wednesday, in the late afternoon. Along the RN 57, on the Saône side, observers were present this Thursday morning to observe its movements. They were fully satisfied at 12:35 p.m., for a later than intended appearance. The eagle flew over the Saône marsh, which he apparently enjoyed.

"We thought a bit that he was going to leave in the morning. But there may be a few days left to feed and rest. The Saône marsh is typically the right place for him," explains Samuel Maas of the LPO. For him, "it is a rare event that a Greater Spotted Eagle is here. Even if he has already passed through Franche-Comté before, it is a path he has chosen since 2009.” It may be the strong wind from the West that made Tönn stay a little longer than expected. He is obviously not in such a hurry to arrive at his holiday destination in Spain. So much the better for the skies of Franche-Comté.
- The end -

:wave:
Michi

Post by Michi »

Hellem wrote: November 8th, 2019, 11:52 pm 08.11 The second update today - 2591 km (+111 km), Tõnn flew to the SW direction and sent data from his overnight place in the forest near Nully in France
Thank you, Hellem! :wave:

Good night everyone!
sova

Post by sova »

:hi:
Sigge, Michi ... Thanks for the article and translation
Hellem :hi:

sova

Post by sova »

pica

Post by pica »

:wave: good morning all

hard working people tonight and early birds this morning :thumbs: thank you very much. further to the above article, mrs nardin sent me also the following:

https://www.estrepublicain.fr/edition-b ... ar-badevel

https://france3-regions.francetvinfo.fr ... 46931.html

we can see, that claude nardin was very actif in tönns matter. great. i’m in intense contact with his wife. she is biologist and both are in the ornitho groupe LPO. they will most probably join loodus forum.

so i wish you a very happy weekend :headroll:
sova

Post by sova »

pica wrote: November 9th, 2019, 8:45 am :wave: good morning all
Good morning, you early bird :hi: .... and many, many thanks :2thumbsup:
Tatyana

Post by Tatyana »

Hello to all! :wave:

Many, many thanks to all for the reports, pictures, links! :2thumbsup: Our Tõnn is an amazing, exceptional bird! I am very worried about him and will calm down only when he arrives in Spain at his permanent place of wintering. But he is a great traveler, he wants to see everything! :thumbs:

:wave:
pica

Post by pica »

sova wrote: November 9th, 2019, 9:26 am Good morning, you early bird :hi: .... and many, many thanks :2thumbsup:
my great pleasure :D
IceAge

Post by IceAge »

Hello to all and many thanks :bow: .
*Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.* Albert Einstein
Hellem

Post by Hellem »

:hi:
09.11 early morning - 2591 km (+0 km), Tõnn is in the forest near Nully in France

09.11 The second update (afternoon) - 2592 km (+1 km), Tõnn is resting in the forest near Nully in France

Thank you all, great work :2thumbsup:
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

Hello, everyone! :wave:
Many thanks for the very interesting work you are doing!
pica wrote: November 9th, 2019, 8:45 am :wave: good morning all
hard working people tonight and early birds this morning :thumbs: thank you very much. further to the above article, mrs nardin sent me also the following:
https://www.estrepublicain.fr/edition-b ... ar-badevel
so i wish you a very happy weekend :headroll:
Hello, pica :wave:
Thank you!

For those who don't speak French, I tried to translate part of the newspaper-article (L'est républicain).

Wednesday, November 6, 2019
The fabulous journey of the greater spotted eagle Tõnn goes through Badevel.

For years, Claude Nardin and his wife Gretel have followed the wanderings of this special specimen, equipped with a GPS, from Estonia to the south of Spain. On Monday, the ornithologist-photographer seized it in flight, above Badevel.
Last Monday at 10:20, Claude Nardin admits having experienced a moment of intense emotion. A rare moment. After years of tracking him, he finally managed to capture Tõnn in the lens of his camera. On the 5th of October, the greater spotted eagle, born in Estonia, rose and spread its majestic wings in the grey sky of Madevel.

Between the ornithologist and this bird, it's a long story
Migration is a captivating subject. Thanks to the internet and to the birds' GPS, one can follow their fabulous journeys and see where they passed, with 5 meters accuracy. Each evening, the trajectories are updated. It was Gretel, my wife, who informed me about Tõnn's migration.

"Ah, this one is special!"
For four years now, the Nardins follow the wanderings of this particular bird, ringed as a chick in 2008. "Ah, this one is special!" The other greater spotted eagles generally migrate to Africa through the Bosphorus. He is the only one who has chosen a route to the west to reach Murcia, in southern Spain. "
Since October 3, the spouses follow the migration of this raptor day by day. That's how they discovered that, after having crossed Latvia, Poland, the Czech Republic and Germany, he was heading straight to our country. So they decided to encounter him and to try to photograph him. In Soppe-le-Haut, in Alsace, Claude saw the bird from a distance, but did not manage to seize it in his 'picture box'. No success on the next day, in Vézelois, either. The bad weather conditions of recent times were favourable to the Nardin's, because Tönn preferred to stay two days in the area before heading to Spain.

A small feat
To succeed in this type of business, you have to get up early, find a breathtaking view and need a dose of luck. Sunday morning, three other ornithologists were present to try to see the eagle. In vain. On Monday, Claude was alone to wait patiently, alone to savour the indescribable pleasure to immortalize this majestic bird in its movement. Tõnn circled and then climbed up to continue his migration. In Madevel, he had already covered 2386 kilometres. He still will have to cover more or less the same distance to reach his destination.
Claude Nardin can be proud of his shots where we clearly see "the 'fingered' primary feathers". One must realise that it is a difficult bird to photograph.
Most of the time, we only get pixelated silhouettes. But here, you can even see the T-shaped solar panel that feeds his GPS. Patience, coupled with passion, ended up being rewarded.

Sam BONJEAN
To follow the path of Tõnn, go to the website birdmap.5dvision.ee
“Clearly, animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.”
— Irene Pepperberg
pica

Post by pica »

thank you anne

in the name of the non-speaking french :thumbs:
Hellem

Post by Hellem »

09.11 The third update today (evening) - 2638 km (+46 km), Tõnn is on the way, he is flying to the south direction and sent data from Chasselas in France

Return to “Migration Maps and News”