Following Karls' Families

Migration Maps, Tõnn, Greater Spotted Eagle and Black Storks
Heloise

Re: Following Karls' Families

Post by Heloise »

Anne7 wrote: September 14th, 2021, 8:30 pm I think Pikne and Udu have telepathic communication. :laugh:
Udu is also travelling on! :thumbs:
So cool!
Many thanks, Anne!
:thumbs:
Hellem

Post by Hellem »

:hi:

14.09 Birdmap update:

Pikne - 2269 km (+202 km), Pikne is on the way and sent data from his/her overnight place in Moldova but near Oancea in Romania :D
Karl II - 1834 km (+19 km), stopover area, sent data near Oleksandrivka, Ukraine
Udu - 2200 km (+205 km), Udu flew to the SE direction and sent data near Kruszowiec and Hamerla in Poland :D

Anne :wave: :thumbs:
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

Heloise, Hellem :wave:

BIRDMAP OVERVIEW SEPTEMBER 14th

KARL II
Previous data: 13.09.2021, distance 1815 km, +21 km in 1 day, stopover place, near Oleksandrivka, Kherson Oblast, Ukraine
NEW data: 14.09.2021, distance 1834 km, +19 km in 1 day, stopover place, near Oleksandrivka, Kherson Oblast, Ukraine

UDU
NEW Previous: 13.09.2021, distance 1995 km, +8 km in 1 day, stopover place, near Ruda Milicka, Milicz County, Lower Silesian Voivodeship, south-western Poland.
NEW data: 14.09.2021, distance 2200 km, +205 km in 1 day, travelling. Udu sent data near Kruszowiec and Hamerla in Poland.

PIKNE
Previous data: 13.09.2021, distance 2067 km, + 136 km in 1 day, stopover place, near Berezlogi, Orhei District, Moldova. Pikne made an excursion to the east and returned to Berezlogi.
NEW data: 14.09.2021, distance 2269 km, + 202 km in 1 day, travelling. Pikne sent data from his/her overnight place in Moldova but near Oancea in Romania

Sleep well, everyone :wave:
“Clearly, animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.”
— Irene Pepperberg
balistar

Post by balistar »

:hi: Anne, Heloise, Hellem and everyone,

very nice, PIKNE and UDU, after their breaks for refreshment, started their journey again and now it seems clear, UDU takes as well the eastern route.
PIKNE exactly follows in the "footsteps" of the experienced EEDI and TIMMU :thumbs:
Heloise

Post by Heloise »

Hello!
Many thanks, Anne!
This birdmap overview is my favorite!
:thumbs:
Balistar :hi:
balistar wrote: September 15th, 2021, 12:44 am
It seems exactly the same to me!
Udu hesitated, but finally decided to choose that direction.
But... we don't know yet... maybe s/he'll change her/his/mind :headroll:

Yes, "uncle Eedi" shows the way 8-)
Pikne and Udu, they were just learning to fly... and they fly 200 km in 1 day! Amazing birds like planes!

I think Karl II will leave Ukraine soon, although he has a habit of staying there for a long time.
Poliff

Post by Poliff »

Many thanks to Anne7, Juta, Helemm, for trackers and photos of places!

Don't you think it's strange that Karl2 stays in one place for too long, making only 19-21km flights a day? I was in this place a few years ago.
There is a salty estuary nearby. In this estuary, yes, there are a lot of fish, at least there was once. But fields cut by many field roads lead to the estuaries.
Think about it, maybe the tracker has been driving for a long time in someone's open car body? There, fishermen go to the estuary every day to check their nets.

Smile, you're being filmed by a hidden camera!
balistar

Post by balistar »

Hello everyone :hi:

Heloise :wave:

Poliff wrote: September 15th, 2021, 9:17 am
Hi Poliff, i wouldn't worry, Karl II seems to know and like this area. Last year he was equipped with a transmitter and we saw him having a longer rest in this area (red line in picture).
On some Black Storks we could see that they prefer certain stopovers, i suppose this is one of Karl II preferred ones.
Like Heloise, i also believe that he will leave soon and continue his journey to winter quarters.

sova

Post by sova »

Hello everyone

Poliff wrote: September 15th, 2021, 9:17 am Many thanks to Anne7, Juta, Helemm, for trackers and photos of places!

Don't you think it's strange that Karl2 stays in one place for too long, making only 19-21km flights a day? I was in this place a few years ago.
There is a salty estuary nearby. In this estuary, yes, there are a lot of fish, at least there was once. But fields cut by many field roads lead to the estuaries.
Think about it, maybe the tracker has been driving for a long time in someone's open car body? There, fishermen go to the estuary every day to check their nets.
:hi: Poliff .... the Karl II not only sends flight data. Anne, Juta, Jo or even Mr. Urmas see Karl's II movements (tendencies) ... while walking, eating .... besides, you can see Karl's temperature
Anne can explain that better ...
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

Hello all :hi:

Balistar, Heloise and Sova :thumbs:
Poliff wrote: September 15th, 2021, 9:17 am ...Don't you think it's strange that Karl2 stays in one place for too long, making only 19-21km flights a day? I was in this place a few years ago.
Think about it, maybe the tracker has been driving for a long time in someone's open car body? There, fishermen go to the estuary every day to check their nets. ...
Hello Poliff :hi:

Thank you for the photos of Karl II's wide area.

Poliff, as Balistar and Sova said, there is no reason to worry.
Karl II's transmitter is not in some car.
We can see from the X-Y-Z graphs in OrniTrack if the bird's posture (movements) is normal.
Karl II's graph shows very regular values and no abnormalities, as you can see below.

If a bird is dead or the transmitter is in an unnatural position, it is quickly obvious from the X-Y-Z accelerometer graphs. And the transmitter temperature will drop (taking the ambient temperature).

Here is a little explanation of what X, Y and Z stand for.
This very helpful video animation is about Roll - Pitch - Yaw

https://www.looduskalender.ee/forum/vie ... 87#p689187
© Mark Wood.

To make it easier to understand, I have (below) adjusted the colours of the video to the OrniTrack graph colours

Last autumn, Karl II was also making such systematic trips back and forth, at the Black Sea for a long time.
It is just a well organised bird who likes routine. :laugh: :thumbs:

Karl II near the Black Sea in 2020, at the same stopover sites.

In 2020, he left that area on October 5th
https://www.looduskalender.ee/forum/vie ... 64#p765664
“Clearly, animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.”
— Irene Pepperberg
balistar

Post by balistar »

Anne :wave: , excellent explanation and display of the X-Y-Z accelerometer graphs. Thank you :thumbs:
Heloise

Post by Heloise »

Hello again!

Thanks a lot, Anne!
:2thumbsup:
Balistar, sova, thanks for your comments!
Anne7 wrote: September 15th, 2021, 12:45 pm ...
Yes!
I think exactly the same! :laugh:
Poliff

Post by Poliff »

Thank you guys very much. I calmed down! :thumbs:
Smile, you're being filmed by a hidden camera!
Polly

Post by Polly »

Anne7 wrote: September 15th, 2021, 12:45 pm

https://up.picr.de/42054606bt.jpg

If a bird is dead or the transmitter is in an unnatural position, it is quickly obvious from the X-Y-Z accelerometer graphs. And the transmitter temperature will drop (taking the ambient temperature).

Here is a little explanation of what X, Y and Z stand for.
This very helpful video animation is about Roll - Pitch - Yaw

https://www.looduskalender.ee/forum/vie ... 87#p689187
© Mark Wood.

To make it easier to understand, I have (below) adjusted the colours of the video to the OrniTrack graph colours
https://up.picr.de/35243332zb.jpg

Last autumn, Karl II was also making such systematic trips back and forth, at the Black Sea for a long time.

Karl II near the Black Sea in 2020, at the same stopover sites.
https://up.picr.de/42054620on.jpg

In 2020, he left that area on October 5th
https://www.looduskalender.ee/forum/vie ... 64#p765664
Excellent. I am flashed. :thumbs:

Admin - Edited to remove duplicated images on the same page.
"Throw your heart across the river and swim after it."
Indian proverb
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Anne, thanks for the reminder of Roll, Pitch and Yaw.

PIKNE

Tracker Map
September 15. 2021

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid= ... sp=sharing

Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

KARL II

Tracker Map
September 15, 2021.

sova

Post by sova »

Thanks Jo :2thumbsup:
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

Balistar, Heloise, Polly, Jo, Sova :wave:

TRACKER MAP
UDU - SEPTEMBER 15th
Final location omitted.

Udu crossed Slovakia today.
S/he is close to the Hungarian border.
Today, Udu flew 218 km.

Please don't fly to the Mediterranean Sea in Greece, little Udu!

Udu is a little south-east of Ardovo, in Slovakia.

Ardovo is a village and municipality in the Rožňava District in the Košice Region of eastern Slovakia.
Wikipedia

Udu's wide area south of Ardovo
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/p/AF1 ... ukBf=h1440
— Irene Pepperberg
sova

Post by sova »

thanks Anne

:wave:
Hellem

Post by Hellem »

:hi:

15.09 Birdmap update:

Pikne - 2293 km (+24 km), sent data from his/her overnight place in Moldova
Karl II - 1853 km (+19 km), stopover area, sent data near Oleksandrivka, Ukraine
Udu - 2414 km (+214 km), Udu flew to the SE direction, straight over the High Tatras and sent data near Ardovo in Slovakia, close to the Hungarian border :D

Anne :wave: :thumbs:, ...Udu's (not Julge's) wide area south of Ardovo ... :laugh:
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

Good evening.
Hellem wrote: September 15th, 2021, 10:45 pm ...
Anne :wave: :thumbs:, ...Udu's (not Julge's) wide area south of Ardovo ... :laugh:
Yes, of course, Hellem! :laugh:
I corrected it. Thank you, also for the birdmap update! :2thumbsup:

BIRDMAP OVERVIEW SEPTEMBER 15th

KARL II
Previous data: 14.09.2021, distance 1834 km, +19 km in 1 day, stopover place, near Oleksandrivka, Kherson Oblast, Ukraine
NEW data: 15.09.2021, distance 1853 km, +19 km in 1 day, stopover place, near Oleksandrivka, Kherson Oblast, Ukraine

UDU
Previous data: 14.09.2021, distance 2200 km, +205 km in 1 day, travelling. Udu sent data near Kruszowiec and Hamerla in Poland.
NEW data: 15.09.2021, distance 2414 km, +214 km in 1 day, travelling. Udu flew SE and sent data near Ardovo in Slovakia, close to the Hungarian border.

PIKNE
Previous data: 14.09.2021, distance 2269 km, + 202 km in 1 day, travelling. Pikne sent data from his/her overnight place in Moldova but near Oancea in Romania
NEW data: 15.09.2021, distance 2293 km, + 24 km in 1 day, stopover. Pikne sent data from his/her overnight place in Moldova, close to the Romanian border

Pikne is in a small wetland, close to the River Prut.
I hope s/he finds a lot of frogs and other goodies. :-)

Udu, still in flight:

Good night, everyone.
— Irene Pepperberg

Return to “Migration Maps and News”