Migration Maps, Tõnn, Greater Spotted Eagle and Black Storks
juta
Site Admin

Re: Following Karls' Families

Post by juta »

bigfan wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 11:36 pm
:unsure:
Let´s hope for the best!
Proud member of SHoW (StorkaHolics of the World)
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

Hello everyone! :hi:

Thank you, Juta. And thank you too, Hellem.

I was not at home all evening and see now little Udu's tracker map.
S/he has ventured over sea... :unsure:
Did s/he actually fly on towards Africa in the late afternoon? Or did s/he return to Crete?

The “direction-degree” data on Udu’s last shown location point indicates that s/he was flying northwest (311 degrees) at that exact moment.
Was s/he circling? Gaining altitude?
I will (try to) look at the data more closely tomorrow. And at the wind direction and speed…
(Unfortunately, we do not have many location points.)
bigfan wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 11:36 pm This night and time until the next dates will be difficult
:unsure :
Yes, it will indeed be a long and anxious wait, Bigfan. :hi:
Fingers crossed.

BIRDMAP OVERVIEW OCTOBER 23

KARL II
Previous data: 21.10.2021, distance 4856 km, +119 km in 1 day. Karl II flew southwards along the Jordan River valley but returned to Tirat Zvi, Israel
NO NEW data :puzzled:

UDU
Previous data: 22.10.2021, distance 4555 km, +225 km in 1 day. Udu sent data near the village Leimonas and the Laconian Gulf, Peloponnese, Greece.
NEW data: 23.10.2021, distance 4791 km, +236 km in 1 day, travelling. Udu flew over Crete and continued his/her journey above the Mediterranean Sea at speed 40 km/h ...

PIKNE
Previous data: : 22.10.2021, distance 4809 km, +385 km in 1 day, travelling. Pikne sent data near Gesher in Israel.
NO NEW data :puzzled:
“Clearly, animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.”
— Irene Pepperberg
sova

Post by sova »

24. Oktober

Good morning to all

Thank you Juta, Anne, Jo, Hellem .... Liz and everyone

Oh Udu, Udu ... why simply when we could can have complicated
Took couple of pictures (hope it doesn't matter).
If you don't want to see weather maps ...... close your eyes

The wind would have been right for Udu. Maybe it would have drifted a bit to the east, but the wind was * the right direction *.
Let's hope .....

Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

pazi wrote: October 22nd, 2021, 11:54 pm I might be way off here, but could this mean Päike also successfully crossed the Mediterranean and that the tracker just stopped sending data?
Oh well, well NEVER know until a bird with the rings is found

Pazi ,, Feja has successfully crossed the Mediterranean. Unfortunately she flew without a break to a place where there was no food for her.
Her transmitter sent data for many years, although she perished there. If a transmitter is no longer sent data, in most cases something has happened that prevents transmission. Sometimes such a transmitter breaks. But they are very, very reliable, according to Urmas.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

juta wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 8:04 pm ...Udu is on Crete!!
thank you Juta! :D

My fingers are crossed :bow: :2thumbsup: Many lick Udu 🍀🍀

I heard yesterday that there are severe storms in the Mediterranean. :puzzled:
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

Hello, everyone :hi:

Liz, yes, I remember the sad story of Feja very well. She just kept on flying after her sea-crossing, until she dropped dead, presumably from exhaustion and thirst. 😢

We can see that yesterday Udu reached a nice average speed of about 40 km/h above the water (because he covered ca 40 km per hour).
S/he flew very smartly, from island to island (over Kythira and Skariana to Crete). That way s/he could make use of the thermals above the islands to gain height again.

Again, we can observe that the altitudes 'measured' by the satellite are very inaccurate. At one point, Udu was flying - according to the satellite - at 691 metres below sea level!

The below indicated times are UTC+3. That’s the local time zone in Crete.
Sunset in Crete is currently around 18:35.

When I look at the directional degrees that the transmitter sent for the last two points I get this. Possibly Udu was flying in circles.

Hello Sova :wave:
Many thanks for the weather maps! :2thumbsup:
The wind may have ‘pushed’ Udu to the Egyptian coast...

The wind last night at 02:00

I am afraid that, if Udu continued his flight and survived the big sea crossing, there is a high chance that we will not get any new data this evening. For example, in Libya the GSM coverage is only good at the inhabited coastal areas. Almost the entire country is barren desert and uninhabited.

I actually hope that Udu is resting in Crete (or on one of the smaller islands south of it).

We can only wait and hope for the best...
“Clearly, animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.”
— Irene Pepperberg
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

IF Udu flew on, it could be that s/he was once more flying towards two successive small islands: Gavdopoula and Gavdos. They are 'big rocks' in the sea, but nevertheless a very good place to rest or even to spend the night (or maybe a little longer).

Gavdopoula (Greek: Γαυδοπούλα, [ɣavðoˈpula]) is an islet located north-west of its larger neighbour, Gavdos, in the Libyan Sea. It is located to the south of Crete, of which it is administratively a part, in the regional unit of Chania. It is part of the municipality of Gavdos, and it was part of the former Selino Province.

Both Gavdos and Gavdopoula have been designated by BirdLife International as an Important Bird Area (IBA) because they support resident populations of European shags and Eurasian scops owls as well as passage migrants.
In 1998 the islet Gavdopoula was the proposed site of an enormous container shipping storage facility. Environmentalists campaigned successfully to block the development and Gavdopoula is now a protected nature reserve and notably for migrating birds.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gavdopoula

View from Gavdos to the islet Gavdopoula. In the distance is Crete.
https://radio-kreta.de/unbekanntes-kret ... avdopoula/

Gavdos (Greek: Γαύδος, [ˈɣavðos]) is the southernmost Greek island, located to the south of its much larger neighbour, Crete, of which it is administratively a part, in the regional unit of Chania. It forms a community with surrounding islets and was part of the former Selino Province. The island is situated at the southern tip of Greece; it is the southernmost point of Europe.

There are only a small number of year-round residents of Gavdos and services for tourists are basic. As of 2011, the total population of Gavdos was 152. In reality, fewer than 50 people live permanently on the island. In the summer the total people on the island can reach over 3,500, most of whom are campers and tourists. The largest man-made harbour is at Karave. The island's capital is Kastri. The southernmost populated village is Vatsiana, with a total permanent population of 31 people. Fokia (with Korfos beach area), Ampelos and the area around Sarakiniko beach are the other populated places.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gavdos

Gavdos
© Andrew J
— Irene Pepperberg
sova

Post by sova »

I took the liberty of taking a few pictures

sova

Post by sova »

Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

Thank you very much Sova! :wave:

Great pictures! :thumbs:
— Irene Pepperberg
juta
Site Admin

Post by juta »

Pikne

Tracker map 23.10 - 24.10
Total route 618 km during 2 days
Battery 21 %

Good news! Pikne is in Egypt near Hurghada!

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit? ... sp=sharing

juta
Site Admin

Post by juta »

KARL II

Tracker map 22.10 - 24.10

Unfortunately nothing...
juta
Site Admin

Post by juta »

UDU

Tracker map 23.20 - 24.10

Total route 206 km
Battery 59 %

Good news! Udu survived and still on Crete island

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit? ... sp=sharing

Exploring the south cost of Crete

Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

juta wrote: October 24th, 2021, 8:17 pm Pikne
Good news! Pikne is in Egypt near Hurghada!
WOW, thank you, Juta! :2thumbsup:

Pikne is a rocket! :D
It looks like s/he spent the previous night near Wasit, in the South Sinai Governorate, Egypt

Pikne flew along the Gulf of Aqaba towards the Red Sea.
S/he is now already between Hurghada and Safaga in Egypt.

— Irene Pepperberg
sova

Post by sova »

Juta, thank you very much.

It looks like Pikne * loves * water. :D
How far does he / she want to to fly ?

Edit;
I don't like the fact that we don't * hear * from Karl II ... it scares me a little :sad:
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

juta wrote: October 24th, 2021, 8:18 pm KARL II
Unfortunately nothing...
sova wrote: October 24th, 2021, 8:43 pm ... Edit;
I don't like the fact that we don't * hear * from Karl II ... it scares me a little :sad:
Me too, Sova.
This is the third day without new data.

Karl II, where are you? :unsure:
— Irene Pepperberg
sova

Post by sova »

juta wrote: October 24th, 2021, 8:20 pm ...
Good news! Udu survived.....
Thanks Juta :mrgreen:
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

juta wrote: October 24th, 2021, 8:20 pm UDU
Good news! Udu survived and still on Crete island
... Exploring the south cost of Crete
Thank heavens! :thumbs:

Udu is currently a little south of Vainia.
Vainia is a really quiet mountain village not far from the larger town of Ierapetra in the south east of Crete. In this traditional village there are a couple of churches (one large one), old stone houses and trees. On the village square where the road sort of ends there is a small kafenion where you can get something to drink. The roads from Vainia leads to Ierapetra and to the coast.

Ierapetra (Greek: Ιεράπετρα, lit. 'sacred stone'; ancient name: Ἱεράπυτνα Hierápytna) is a Greek town and municipality located on the southeast coast of Crete. ... With 16139 inhabitants (in 2011), Ierapetra is the most populous town in the regional unit of Lasithi and the fourth most populous town in Crete. Ierapetra is nicknamed "the bride of the Libyan Sea" because of its position as the only town on Crete's southern coast.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ierapetra

Yes, continue like this, little Udu, and fly on to Rhodes and next to Turkey! :D

Around 11:30 it looks as if Udu wanted to fly towards Gavdos, but changed his/her mind.
S/he keeps flying along the southern coastline, as if looking for another ‘exit’.

Still in flight to the east, near Vainia.
— Irene Pepperberg
Susanne

Post by Susanne »

Amazing! Well, then he/she is very close to one of the best dog shelters I know.
Hellem

Post by Hellem »

:hi:

24.10 Birdmap update:

Pikne - 5461 km (+652 km in 2 days), travelling, sent data near Hurghada in Egypt :D

Udu - 4994 km (+203 km), travelling, sent data near Vainia on the Crete island , Greece

Anne, Juta, sova :wave: :thumbs:

Return to “Migration Maps and News”