Red Deer Camera on Saaremaa

Camera installed on Saaremaa by the Estonian State Forest Management Centre RMK
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Red Deer Camera on Saaremaa

Post by Felis silvestris »

There is a new camera on Saaremaa island, ordered by RMK, the Estonian State Forest Management Centre. It is installed overlooking a feeding ground for red deer. The camera was installed in February when Saaremaa was still having less snow, but it arrived now and on Tuesday and Wednesday a splendid male deer (stag or hart) visited the additional feeding ground for deer.

The webcam is funded by RMK (Estonian State Forest Management Center), designed and installed in cooperation with Looduskalender. The image is transmitted by a new generation Mobotix webcam, using infrared illuminators and is powered with solar panels. The system was assembled by Hatcam.

Read more: http://www.looduskalender.ee/en/node/19246 and http://www.looduskalender.ee/en/node/19268
Camera links:

JWplayer: http://pontu.eenet.ee/player/hirv.html

VLC player: rtsp://193.40.133.138/live/hirv

Ipad and Iphones:

http://193.40.133.138/live/hirv/playlist.m3u8

Weather: http://www.ilm.ee/kuressaare/?linn=kuressaare
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Some facts about Saaremaa island:

Saaremaa is the largest island in Estonia, measuring 2,673 km², located in the Baltic Sea, south of Hiiumaa island, it belongs to the West Estonian Archipelago. The capital of the island is Kuressaare with about 16.100 inhabitants; the whole island has over 39.200 inhabitants. The name means literally "isle's land".

Due to its mild maritime climate Saaremaa has very rich flora and fauna. 40% of the island is covered with forests. 80% of the plant species found in Estonia are represented here. Altogether 1200 species of vascular plants (Tracheophyta) can be found in Saaremaa. About 120 of the local plant species are rare ones which have received special protection status. The most famous endemic species is Rhinanthus osiliensis - a rare little flower growing mostly in spring fens. The island lies within the East - Atlantic flyway, the migration path of waterfowl. Like this each year hundreds of thousands of migratory birds visit Saaremaa in spring and autumn. The barnacle goose, mute swan, whooper swan, eider, shelduck and a great many other bird species have been given protection status. Saaremaa has a wide variety of rare wildlife species, the coastal areas are famous seal habitats. Both, grey seal and ringed seal can be seen in the coastal waters around Saaremaa. But on the whole, the island is somewhat poorer in wildlife species than the mainland. Neither mole, mink, nor otter can be found here, the lynx and the brown bear are but infrequent guests.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saaremaa and http://www.saaremaa.ee/index.php?option ... Itemid=257

We hope to get to see the Red Deer (Cervus elaphus), which is one of the largest deer species.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_deer

Apparently the red deer is a problem on Saaremaa, where it has been re-introduced. I found this: http://news.err.ee/v/environment/0d4f72 ... d6fd4fb133
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

ame

Post by ame »

i took a daytime picture of the place. the amount of snow is amazing. it almost makes me envious... (but on the other hand some people have to shovel that much snow from their yards and paths, and i don't envy that!)
laranjeiras

Post by laranjeiras »

Not sure how to access streaming camera? The link takes me to the news page... (Or am I just being really impatient! :blush: )
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

We are just gathering and receiving the necessary information. So far nothing has been made official, webmaster will add the cam officially soon, but I am adding the links now.

laranjeiras

Post by laranjeiras »

:hi:
Thank you Felis, I am really looking forward to seeing this new site!
Bea

Post by Bea »

Yesterday evening, around 21:40, this gorgeous male Red Deer was at the feeding place, perhaps the same we saw in the video on the LK main page:

Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
Bea

Post by Bea »

It was back around 23:50, but was hidden behind the straw ball :mrgreen:

Peekaboo!
Bea

Post by Bea »

Video from the visit at 21:40

Riitta

Post by Riitta »

16:43 Thank you so much :2thumbsup: @all, who made it possible, that a new cam is working. :headroll:
Bea

Post by Bea »

Todays food supply!

Thank you, Sir! :thumbs:

Dima дима.

Post by Dima дима. »

Felis silvestris
Site Admin

:thumbs: Somebody saw who made the tracks. I was gone for a while and saw that something has changed :mrgreen:

ame

Post by ame »

there has been a food delivery. thank you! :wave:
haha... Bea saw it! :thumbs:

it's something red. could it be carrots? :puzzled:
- it cannot be any meat, not for deer.

i enlarged a piece of one of Bea's pictures. the food indeed looks like carrots.
laranjeiras

Post by laranjeiras »

This is so exciting!! Thank you for the camera links :laugh:
Bea

Post by Bea »

ame wrote:...i enlarged a piece of one of Bea's pictures. the food indeed looks like carrots.
Yummie carrots!!! That would be a good feeding place for me, too :rotf:
Manu

Post by Manu »

Great to hear there is a new web-cam online :loveshower: . Thanks a lot to all persons who make this possible.

20:32h No visitor on place.
laranjeiras

Post by laranjeiras »

:laugh:
there's a racoon dog? there - but i can't get a picture - he or she is very camera shy!

edit : might have gone away now as I can't see it at all :whistling:

a bit later: i just saw it again but my picture is not very clear... he/she wandered off again

:hi: manu
your pic seems clearer
Manu

Post by Manu »

laranjeiras :hi:
Yes, there was an animal there. But I can't say what it was :puzzled: .
Maybe it will come a bit closer to the spotlight?

EDIT: A small boar?
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

In the short movie on LK main page there are even two raccoon dogs seen

Return to “Red Deer and Badger Castle Cameras on Saaremaa”