Latvian Osprey nest 2019-2023

Osprey nests in Latvia
Floppy Fish

Re: Latvian Osprey nest 2019-2020

Post by Floppy Fish »

I'm 100% sure yesterday's visiting hawk was not a goshawk, but a sparrowhawk.

Here's a comparison of yesterday's hawk, and the goshawk from June 30. I think the size difference speaks for itself...

Edit: I think the hawk that chased Teo on June 15 was a sparrowhawk too. Both the begging and alarm calls sounded much more sparrowhawk-like than goshawk-like to me. Most likely she attacked, because she saw Teo and Vita as a threat to her chicks, though I can't exclude she wanted Teo's fish either.
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

Oh yes, you are right...sparrow hawk. :slap: He is much smaller as the goshawk.
We always think about goshawk, because a goshawk has taken the chick from Vita and Teo.
It is definitely also a juvenile. Thank you for correcting.

19:15 Again a visit from the sparrow hawk.
The nature needs us not, but we need the nature
Floppy Fish

Post by Floppy Fish »

22:24 Vita brought a stick to the nest in an unusually stealthy way. She made no sound and was gone in less than 15 seconds!

balistar

Post by balistar »

:hi: all,

Floppy Fish, thank you very much for this comparison picture, it's great ! :2thumbsup:
You're right, the size difference speaks for itself :thumbs:
And thanks also for identifying the sounds/calls.
Shanta

Post by Shanta »

Polly :hi:
Thank you for your opinion!
Polly wrote: July 15th, 2020, 4:52 pm It gets quieter in the nest .... Well, the Goshawk family was very present today.

I was wondering why we never heard the parents' communication? Or is their nest completely out of earshot? :puzzled: Earlier? We have all watched many hours a day since spring.
Yes, that's strange.
Polly wrote: July 15th, 2020, 6:30 pm What is going on is incredible right now. :unsure:
Not a fight but an invisible defense of the area, the children ... the tension is in the air. Fascinating the last few minutes.

I cannot follow this with screenshots and describing it is confusing.
It is a mess of calls (a begging teenager, - who has already tried adult calls :), alarm calls from Teo and Vita

18:33 A little goshawk seems to be somewhere on the nest.

Mogga wrote that ospreys avoid confrontation as much as possible. How will Teo and Vita behave? Defend or give up nest?

It was like a thriller. The many and loud calls of all the birds. I think there was also a third Osprey nearby (the intruder?) ... but why did he call :puzzled: From 18:07 (Teo and Vita are in the nest) the calls can be heard, for me they are calls of an Osprey.

18:14 Teo is not so interested in the Hawk that has just landed, but rather in what is happening outside the nest ... think Vita pursue the intruder.
18:18 Think Vita finally chases off the Hawk
Polly wrote: July 18th, 2020, 8:09 pm My Thoughts: The Hawklets are being introduced to a new territory. Hawks do not or rarely share an area. The Hawklets (There are definitely two Hawklets) have to separate from the parent's nest and it seems to me that they are looking for their territory near Teo and Vita. I wrote that we never heard the parents' communication even though we saw permanently. This could mean that the parents' nest is further away. Next ... not far. However, the young Hawklets will find their new territory here. This day seemed very crucial to me. I felt that two days ago.
Polly wrote: July 18th, 2020, 8:09 pm Hopefully Teo and Vita will quickly realize that they have lost this area.
To this day, I also thought that if a new territory was sought, Teo and Vita had no chance. I don't know a lot about birds and their calls, I'm glad that I know Ospreys and Bald Eagles to some extent.

But now ...
Floppy Fish wrote: July 19th, 2020, 8:02 pm I'm 100% sure yesterday's visiting hawk was not a goshawk, but a sparrowhawk.

Here's a comparison of yesterday's hawk, and the goshawk from June 30. I think the size difference speaks for itself...
https://i.imgur.com/zpQg3o5.jpg

Edit: I think the hawk that chased Teo on June 15 was a sparrowhawk too. Both the begging and alarm calls sounded much more sparrowhawk-like than goshawk-like to me. Most likely she attacked, because she saw Teo and Vita as a threat to her chicks, though I can't exclude she wanted Teo's fish either.
... I have a little hope and some observations may be more understandable to me now.
Sometimes it looks like Vita and Teo don't fear the Sparrowhawk (see above, Teo was more watching the intruder July 15 at 18:15 and the Hawk was very close). They are annoying like ravens or crows but no danger for them.
Although, the Goshawk was there and nobody knows what will be next year.
It would be good to hear the opinion of a bird expert.

Floppy Fish thank you!

:wave:
IceAge

Post by IceAge »

04:40
Teo comes
05:11
Vita brings hay
05:12
Vita flies off with the hay and comes back soon
05:14
Vita flies off
*Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.* Albert Einstein
sova

Post by sova »

:hi: Hello everyone

I found an article .... differences between hawk and sparrow hawk (unfortunately only in German)
http://www.greifvogelhilfe.de/wp-conten ... perber.pdf
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

sova wrote: July 20th, 2020, 4:40 pm :hi: Hello everyone

I found an article .... differences between hawk and sparrow hawk (unfortunately only in German)
http://www.greifvogelhilfe.de/wp-conten ... perber.pdf
Thank you for sharing, sova. The weight- and size differences are enormous.
Shanta

Post by Shanta »

Sova Thank you!

IceAge wrote: July 20th, 2020, 12:21 pm 04:40 Teo comes
05:11 Vita brings hay
05:12 Vita flies off with the hay and comes back soon
05:14 Vita flies off
IceAge :thumbs: Thank you!

05:05 Teo flies in with a tuft of grass, looking around and
05:07 he leaves

05:10 Vita is approaching ... in a distance can hear an Eagle calling, sounds like a WTE :puzzled:
Several times it is to hear and I think that's why Vita is alert.
05:13 Hawk flies behind her but Vita only takes a brief look at him and observes the other side more closely
05:14 Vita flies off after a WTE? call

Please note ... To hear the WTE? calls I had to increase the volume because on my PC it was only very quiet to hear

I hope the calls are to hear now
Floppy Fish

Post by Floppy Fish »

sova, thanks for the article. It explains the differences well! Though I know some German myself..... I hope it makes sense to other people too!

Shanta, thanks for recording that. That sounded like a white-tailed eagle indeed. Well, more than just a white-tailed eagle actually... Those few minutes were a very hectic time near the nest! :shock:

Here's what I could make out:

5:10:03 Distant white-tailed eagle calls
5:10:04 Sparrowhawk calls
5:10:05 Vita flies by with grass.
5:10:07 Single WTE call(?)
5:10:13 Crane calls
5:10:14 Two WTE calls
5:10:15 Vita calls alarm, flies off
5:10:19 Juvenile sparrowhawk calls
5:10:22 Adult(?) sparrowhawk alarm call
5:10:30 Vita lands on top of the camera and calls alarm briefly. Juvenile sparrowhawk calls
5:10:44 Very distant WTE calls
5:11:46 Woodpecker makes two short alarm calls. Vita is slightly startled
5:11:50 Vita calls alarm
5:11:56 Juvenile sparrowhawk calls
5:12:07 Woodpecker makes a very loud alarm call. Vita is very startled
5:12:16 Vita flies off
5:12:18 Woodpecker calls alarm again
5:12:21 Juvenile sparrowhawk calls
5:12:24 Vita calls alarm
5:12:40 Vita returns
5:12:42 Sparrowhawk calls alarm
5:12:56 Crow calls
5:13:05 Sparrowhawk calls alarm again. A medium-sized bird is seen flying in the top left corner (Possibly the adult sparrowhawk)
5:13:26 Sparrowhawk calls alarm
5:13:44 Sparrowhawk calls alarm
5:14:02 Juvenile(?) sparrowhawk calls, then calls alarm
5:14:06 Single call by WTE(?)
5:14:11 WTE can be heard caling clearly
5:14:14 Juvenile(?) sparrowhawk calls, sounds distressed
5:14:15 Vita calls alarm and flies off
5:14:21 Very distant WTE call(?)
5:14:29 WTE calls in the distance
5:14:30 Vita calls alarm
5:14:33 WTE calls
5:14:35 Vita calls alarm (Looks like she's trying to chase away the WTE?)
5:14:40 Juvenile(?) sparrowhawk calls in the distance

Now I wonder if the white-tailed eagle caused this massive uproar just by visiting the nest area. :laugh:
balistar

Post by balistar »

:hi: everyone,

oh my, great excitement in and around the Teo & Vita's nest, and all clustered in a very short time :unsure:
They all seem to like this area very much, which Teo and Vita will not like at all :rolleyes:

Thanks very much, Shanta, for the video and Floppy Fish for the detailed listing !! :2thumbsup:
Polly

Post by Polly »

Hello and a lovely hug from me to all of you. :2thumbsup:

I also took some screenshots this morning and wrote them down.
Gosh ... this nest is exploding in events right now. It was quiet for months. Now life is raging. :slap:

First to Shanta and Floppy Fish ... thank you for picking up my thoughts and helping me understand. I am not ashamed to have misunderstood or interpreted. I'm just an observer. I am so happy about your reports and corrections !!! Finally no longer alone. Thank you. :innocent:

Sova, a few days ago I was sure to have heard the call of a hawk. In Marko and Miina's nest ... you remember? :)
It turned out to be a woodpecker. Exactly the calls here today. I'm going crazy. :bow: However, it is getting tiring now.

Almost a hot phase .... I'm afraid we have to wait until next spring to see who has established itself here. However ... I'm not afraid for Vita and Teo. Her crops were empty today. They seem restless but they are careful with themselves.
"Throw your heart across the river and swim after it."
Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

At least one of the young Hawks here.

08:03

Vita ... our girl completely empty and ready to do anything to protect this nursery. :innocent:

"Throw your heart across the river and swim after it."
Indian proverb
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

Thank you all for reporting, videos and pics.

Polly, on your pic the crop looks really empty. I hope Teo brings her fish sometimes out of our view, although I know, she can go fishing for herself too.
I'm a bit relieved, that it is not the goshawk around this time.
11:39- 11:45 Calling from sparrow hawk a bit further away.
13:17 Calling nearby, 13:18 further away, then again nearby...
18:07 Thunderstorm and rain showers.

Shanta the sounds and calls from the WTE are good to hear. :thumbs:
sova

Post by sova »

21. Juli

Good morning to all :hi:
Polly wrote: July 20th, 2020, 11:00 pm ...
Sova, a few days ago I was sure to have heard the call of a hawk. In Marko and Miina's nest ... you remember? :)
It turned out to be a woodpecker. Exactly the calls here today. I'm going crazy. :bow: However, it is getting tiring now.
Polly, I know ... it's going to be really exhausting
How many times did I think I heard WTE ... no, it was woodpecker :D
IceAge

Post by IceAge »

05:49
Vita comes and Teo little bit later
05:51
Both fly away
06:27
Teo is back
06:33
Teo takes off
07:39
Teo lands with a branch
07:47
Teo takes off
*Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.* Albert Einstein
Floppy Fish

Post by Floppy Fish »

19:02 Teo adds a stick to the nest. The camera is making odd squeaking noises in the wind. Teo seems to notice them too (?) I hope it's not a loose camera mount!
Floppy Fish

Post by Floppy Fish »

July 22

15:01 A short visit from a rather large sparrowhawk

I wasn't entirely sure if it was a large female sparrowhawk, or a small male goshawk, but these legs look like sparrowhawk legs to me

Edit: at 15:40 one of them started singing in the microphone :rotf:
Shanta

Post by Shanta »

Polly wrote: July 20th, 2020, 11:00 pm I am not ashamed to have misunderstood or interpreted. I'm just an observer.
Polly :hi:

There's no reason to be ashamed at all, I was wrong too. It does not matter anyway,
because so we all have learned more about the situation, Goshawk and Sparrowhawk :nod:
Polly wrote: July 20th, 2020, 11:00 pm It turned out to be a woodpecker. Exactly the calls here today. I'm going crazy. :bow:
Watching a WTE nest, I was mostly wrong with all the calls. I like the Woodpecker, but when it calls like a WTE I don't like it :laugh:
Shanta

Post by Shanta »

Floppy Fish wrote: July 20th, 2020, 10:02 pm Shanta, thanks for recording that. That sounded like a white-tailed eagle indeed. Well, more than just a white-tailed eagle actually... Those few minutes were a very hectic time near the nest! :shock:
Here's what I could make out:
Floppy Fish :hi:

Thank you so much for the list :2thumbsup: That is now very interesting for me to watch once again the video with your list!

11:50 A Raven (or Crow :puzzled: ) lands on cam stand

11:51 Not sure what happens, cam is shaking and a Sparrowhawk calls ... maybe it was a first attack against Raven
11:52 Raven is to hear, sounds he want talk but is hoarse and can't :laugh:
11:53 Next attack by a Hawk
11:54 Attack

11:55 Attack

11:56 Raven flies off

Return to “Ospreys”