Latvian Osprey nest 2019-2023

Osprey nests in Latvia
Floppy Fish

Re: Latvian Osprey nest 2019-2020

Post by Floppy Fish »

June 3

5:18 The chick makes a healthy strong PS! Unfortunately, Vita was in the wrong place at the wrong time...

5:33 Teo returned with another large branch. He tries to plant it on Vita at first... :puzzled:

But soon he places it right in front of the camera, blocking the view once more. :rolleyes:

Vita is not amused!

6:44 Teo delivered a fresh carp, and both Vita and the chick had a nice breakfast.
Deli

Post by Deli »

Thank you Floppy Fish for showing this nice episode. That's funny to see even if Vita doesn't like it. :laugh:

Cute:
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

:hi:

Feeding time for lil bit, guess the other two eggs are non viable. That's not unusual by first- time- mothers.

The nature needs us not, but we need the nature
Floppy Fish

Post by Floppy Fish »

21:37 Teo does some construction work on the edge of the nest, and the chick decides to follow his example.

He's learning quick! :laugh:
Floppy Fish

Post by Floppy Fish »

June 3

4:01 Teo arrived with a fish tail for an early breakfast. The chick got a clumsy feeding by Vita, but managed to get several bites.
4:58 Teo took away the rest of the fish tail
6:39 Vita stood up for some morning yoga exercises, but got caught in the crossfire again. :rotf:

7:14 Teo arrives with a tiny branch and starts cutting it. The chick is hoping for a feeding, but the branch is not a fish... Vita does not seem too happy either!
Deli

Post by Deli »

Is it normal that little one is gasping so much? I am a little bit worried about this.
15:52

Polly

Post by Polly »

Thank you for your sympathy today. :2thumbsup:

Deli, I was watching a feeding. The little one eats with a good appetite. A good sign. :nod:

There are unconsumed bites in the bowl. Vita doesn't tidy up. Possibly also good, since it seems to be well saturated itself. It's a shame about the other two eggs.
I hope and pray that this little one will develop into a flying teenager. Without the influence of predators or weather moods.

21:55
"Throw your heart across the river and swim after it."
Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

Floppy Fish wrote: June 3rd, 2020, 9:53 pm 21:37 Teo does some construction work on the edge of the nest, and the chick decides to follow his example.

He's learning quick! :laugh:
All the dad. :rotf: :2thumbsup:
"Throw your heart across the river and swim after it."
Indian proverb
Floppy Fish

Post by Floppy Fish »

Deli wrote: June 4th, 2020, 4:13 pm Is it normal that little one is gasping so much? I am a little bit worried about this.
15:52
Ospreys pant just like dogs do when they're hot. Vita was panting a lot too. I didn't check the weather report, but it seemed like it was a warm day for the region. I think the chick was a little hot from the weather and Vita's brooding. He's also starting to thermoregulate now (generating body heat on his own) which is probably also a factor. In a few days he won't need Vita's brooding anymore to keep warm during the day.

If the chick actually starts to get too hot it will start cheeping, and Vita will need to give it some shade (instead of brooding). I didn't hear any cheeping yet, so he probably didn't have any real trouble with the warmth.

The feedings seem to improve too. Yesterday (June 3) the chick was visibly hungry and kept pecking Vita's feathers. Today (June 4) In the afternoon/evening the chick got two very nice feedings and seemed to have a full crop. Both Vita and the chick are getting the hang of it! In a few days he'll be able to walk up to Vita (or Teo) and snatch every bite out her mouth. I'm very much looking forward to that myself. :nod:
Floppy Fish

Post by Floppy Fish »

June 5

7:58 Teo delivered a fresh carp. Vita was hungry, but offered bites to the chick right away. It had a great feeding.

8:30 The chick got another feeding from Vita. At the end Vita received a hug. :mrgreen:

8:42 Teo wanted to feed Vita! But neither Vita nor the chick were interested. :rotf:

After much insistence from Teo, she reluctantly took two bites of fish...

9:42 Vita flew off in a panic, but soon returned back to the perch near the nest.

Without a care in the world, the chick decided to do more construction work!
Deli

Post by Deli »

Ca. 15:37:40 Is this a hole? Or an imagination?

Floppy Fish, thank you for your answer! :thumbs:
Floppy Fish

Post by Floppy Fish »

At 15:34 Teo brought a fresh carp, Vita served it...

...and the chick had a real feast!
Deli wrote: June 5th, 2020, 4:08 pm Ca. 15:37:40 Is this a hole? Or an imagination?
It could be a hole. It seems to have the right shape for it. The only other possibility is some nesting material or a remnant of a previous feeding. If it's a hole it will grow larger soon enough!
balistar

Post by balistar »

:wave: Cessie, thank you for the warm welcome back.
(Unfortunately for weeks i had only the opportunity to watch via cell phone. Now i have a new notebook, but i will need some time to find out the new things/design etc. :rolleyes: )
As i see, Gavril and meanwhile also Birdfriend are back, also nice to see :hi:

Thank you all, dear Teo & Vita fans, for your great work here with reports, comments, pictures and videos :2thumbsup:

17.52 Teo brings a whole fish

Vita takes over the fish

17.53 and starts feeding the chick while a strong wind is blowing
balistar

Post by balistar »

earlier, 17.27, when Ivo was fishing, the cute chick was sleeping - so sweet :D

balistar

Post by balistar »

17.58 Teo flew off
Vita continued feeding until 18.00, then ate herself. Every now and then she offered a few more but too big bites to the chick. One more it could take. Anyway it was satisfied.

18.04 chick has a nice fat crop and also Vita has filled hers

18.06 Vita covers the eggs and the chick
balistar

Post by balistar »

18.14 Vita calls alarm, an intruder flew by, too close to the nest (upper right corner).
Vita got up like a rocket and flew after the intruder.
Chick fell on its back, when Vita got up, but was immediately back on belly side

balistar

Post by balistar »

18.19 an osprey is seen flying on the far upper right on the screen. Vita still chasing the intruder ?

18.20 Vita back in nest

still attentively watching the sky

Teo landing in the parents observing tree - Vita didn't call, so it has to be Teo
balistar

Post by balistar »

19.54 / 19.55 wild geese ? could be heard, Vita was looking around, interested

20.41 almost 42, Teo in with a huge headless fish, Teo has eaten the head already :headroll:

Vita took over this big dinner fish
balistar

Post by balistar »

20.43 Vita is feeding, the chick eats with a good appetite

20.45 Teo, you great fisherman and carer for your family :2thumbsup:

20.46 Teo has fish blood on his right leg - the chick is a really good eater :D

20.48 Teo is satisfied (and perhaps also proud - of himself, his young wife Vita and his chick) :innocent:
and jumped up to the cam stand
balistar

Post by balistar »

20.50 chick seems to be stuffed up, Vita now eats for herself

20.56 although chick was yawning yet, it took some more bites :laugh:

20.58 a piece of fish flesh is hanging on chick's beak :mrgreen:

Return to “Ospreys”