Latvian WtE nest webcamera Juras-erglis: Discussions

White-tailed eagles in Latvia

Moderator: Moderators

Sonchik

Re: Latvian WtE nest webcamera Juras-erglis: Discussions

Post by Sonchik »

balistar wrote: May 8th, 2021, 12:35 pm ...
you're thought came true this morning :laugh: 8-)
I haven't seen it yet, but it's an interesting twist. For me, this suggests that the Golden Boy and the Silver Boy have different hormones at work at the moment. Golden Boy made no attempt to mate. He had this period in his nest. He already has the stage of "taking care of the offspring". That's how I see it. The Milda, too, has long since passed the mating stage. The silver boy was clearly lonely, since he still had a good testosterone level. Is that why he's so pugnacious?
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

rebelde wrote: May 8th, 2021, 4:32 pm I was fooled in to thinking that there were pictures of ALL the main characters of the 2021 season, so far. :rotf:
No wonder I couldn't decide which ones would present the Golden Boy, or Milda. Besides that I was able to spot the Silver Boy safely only from the front pictures. :rolleyes:
The result of my experiment - no one but me can distinguish between eagles by their faces? Maybe except for Ajeta, but she didn't write the names of the eagles. Image
rebelde

Post by rebelde »

Sonchik wrote: May 8th, 2021, 6:23 pm The result of my experiment - no one but me can distinguish between eagles by their faces? Maybe except for Ajeta, but she didn't write the names of the eagles. Image
Sonchik :hi: At least I can distinguish the two male protagonists of the season from pictures which show the face; just that there weren't any pics of the other one, and as I, too, have noticed that the recognition isn't always easy without seeing the individual's behaviour, I give myself a little bit credit for this, in spite of the apparent failure. :rotf:
Ajeta may answer on her behalf. :shake:
rebelde

Post by rebelde »

Sonchik wrote: I haven't seen it yet, but it's an interesting twist. For me, this suggests that the Golden Boy and the Silver Boy have different hormones at work at the moment. Golden Boy made no attempt to mate. He had this period in his nest. He already has the stage of "taking care of the offspring". That's how I see it. The Milda, too, has long since passed the mating stage. The silver boy was clearly lonely, since he still had a good testosterone level. Is that why he's so pugnacious?
My thoughts exactly. :nod:
rebelde

Post by rebelde »

Ajeta wrote: rebelde :hi: What do you think - I believe on balistar's third picture Moonshadow looks almost like Sarek, doesn't he? :mrgreen:
Ajeta :hi: Indeed he does! :slap:
Ajeta wrote: You're joking here, balistar, are you? Otherwise I must rush to Mr C's defense: When there are chicks on the nest (soon), the time for mating surely is gone. Mr C would have seemed frivolous had he been seen seeking his own pleasure instead of taking on the responsibility for the little ones. So it was not lack of daring, I'd say, but reliability. :nod:
Yes, quite clearly. (And thanks for rushing to the Golden Boy's defense.)
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

rebelde wrote: May 8th, 2021, 6:41 pm Sonchik :hi: At least I can distinguish the two male protagonists of the season from pictures which show the face; just that there weren't any pics of the other one, and as I, too, have noticed that the recognition isn't always easy without seeing the individual's behaviour, I give myself a little bit credit for this, in spite of the apparent failure. :rotf:
Ajeta may answer on her behalf. :shake:
I agree. That's why I prefer videos.
Ajeta

Post by Ajeta »

Sonchik wrote: May 8th, 2021, 6:15 pm On March 30, I see familiar eyebrows and hear a familiar voice. There seems to be a combination of feathers on the right wing.
In this video by Ame:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIblPzP3_6g
at e.g. 16:03:38 it can be seen, I think, that the stranger who was around on that day has light feathers right down the wing, unlike Mr L. He has indeed a rather similar head, somehow, but thinner. His whole shape is lighter than that of Mr L. But the two were confused for a long time bc at first sight they seem similar. This stranger (on March 30) was there until at least April 2nd, perhaps 4th. But he's not Mr L.

Edit: In this picture you can perceive that very low on the wing this stranger has a row of feathers each half grey and half brown. (You can see them again and more clearly on his later longer visits to the nest.) That is one difference to Mr L:

Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

Ajeta wrote: May 8th, 2021, 7:31 pm In this video by Ame:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIblPzP3_6g
at e.g. 16:03:38 it can be seen, I think, that the stranger who was around on that day has light feathers right down the wing, unlike Mr L. He has indeed a rather similar head, somehow, but thinner. His whole shape is lighter than that of Mr L. But the two were confused for a long time bc at first sight they seem similar. This stranger (on March 30) was there until at least April 2nd, perhaps 4th. But he's not, I think, Mr L.
Yes, when I saw this eagle up close, I found this group of feathers in the eagle on March 30.

Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

Ajeta wrote: May 8th, 2021, 7:31 pm ...
Edit: In this picture you can perceive that very low on the wing this stranger has a row of feathers each half grey and half brown. (You can see them again and more clearly on his later longer visits to the nest.) That is one difference to Mr L:

[img]https://up.picr.de/41149249wn.jpg[/ img]
While I was taking the photo, you added a description. :D
I only looked until March 31. Tomorrow I will start watching on April 1.

And one more thing. It was felt that Milda was gradually getting used to the eagle and did not shout even when the eagle was shouting (perhaps at someone else). The change of the eagle did not fit into this scheme at all.

So I put a question mark. I was afraid I was wishful thinking.
Ajeta

Post by Ajeta »

rebelde wrote: May 8th, 2021, 6:41 pm Ajeta may answer on her behalf. :shake:
:wave: rebelde - I could never be so cruel as to destroy Sonchik's pride in herself. :whistling:

Meanwhile I have got myself immersed in the 2018 thread we were talking about. What an amazing teamwork, everybody contributing in the same way, helping to identify, clarify, report and illustrate, a beautiful esprit d' égalité. And as you said, all those wonderful pictures. Thanks for mentioning it!
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

Ajeta wrote: May 8th, 2021, 8:38 pm :wave: rebelde - I could never be so cruel as to destroy Sonchik's pride in herself. :whistling:
On the contrary, I am very sorry that all these pictures are useless.
Ajeta

Post by Ajeta »

Sonchik wrote: May 8th, 2021, 8:22 pm Yes, when I saw this eagle up close, I found this group of feathers in the eagle on March 30.
Interesting, I had not specifically noted those circled feathers. But indeed they seem alike in both birds in your photo.

My description actually refers to the row below that group you have circled. There you can see those half grey, half dark feathers. Altogether his wing is lighter than Mr L's. And you are right, they seemed to be getting quite familiar with one another, Milda and that eagle.
Ajeta

Post by Ajeta »

Sonchik wrote: May 8th, 2021, 8:40 pm On the contrary, I am very sorry that all these pictures are useless.
I do not think they are. People may not themselves identify an eagle by face and other features, but they can still recognize the differences when you put before them such comparisons. That's why I think them so valuable.
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

Ajeta wrote: May 8th, 2021, 8:44 pm Interesting, I had not specifically noted those circled feathers. But indeed they seem alike in both birds in your photo.
This is one bird. I combined them in one photo. At the top of the video in your message (March 30 at 16:03), in the nest on March 31 at 13:33. You can see the border in the sky.
Ajeta

Post by Ajeta »

Sonchik wrote: May 8th, 2021, 8:22 pm Yes, when I saw this eagle up close, I found this group of feathers in the eagle on March 30.
I borrowed your picture and scribbled into it myself - I hope you don't mind! It's those feathers below your group of feathers I meant, half grey and half dark. (In 2018 Suvi and Sulev Ame calls such a feature black and white lace, I think.)

Ajeta

Post by Ajeta »

Sonchik wrote: May 8th, 2021, 8:49 pm This is one bird. I combined them in one photo. At the top of the video in your message (March 30 at 16:03), in the nest on March 31 at 13:33. You can see the border in the sky.
Absolutley, I had understood that and agree.
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

Ajeta wrote: May 8th, 2021, 8:53 pm I borrowed your picture and scribbled into it myself - I hope you don't mind! It's those feathers below your group of feathers I meant, half grey and half dark. (In 2018 Suvi and Sulev Ame calls such a feature black and white lace, I think.)

[img]https://up.picr.de/41149483uj.jpg[/ img]
I knew what you meant the first time. But the eagle on March 30, and even more so on March 29, was very poorly visible. He was all dark. These feathers were impossible to see. Although, you need to look even more closely.
Ajeta

Post by Ajeta »

Sonchik wrote: May 8th, 2021, 8:56 pm He was all dark. These feathers were impossible to see. Although, you need to look even more closely.
:nod:
Sonchik wrote: May 8th, 2021, 8:56 pm I knew what you meant the first time.
I wasn't sure. Actually these feathers all probably have specific names, don't they? So I should learn them to be able to be more specific in my descriptions so that I can trust that people can understand what I write.
Ajeta

Post by Ajeta »

Here's on 30th March, you can see the feathers alright, even your group. But on 29th, he was indeed badly visible. But I do not think Mr L would have been beaten by this guy, so I doubt that Mr L was there before him. Nor Mr C - he too would have made short shrift of this Mr X, if they had met, so he cannot have been there beforehand either.

Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

Ajeta wrote: May 8th, 2021, 9:34 pm Here's on 30th March, you can see the feathers alright, even your group. But on 29th, he was indeed badly visible. But I do not think Mr L would have been beaten by this guy, so I doubt that Mr L was there before him. Nor Mr C - he too would have made short shrift of this Mr X, if they had met, so he cannot have been there beforehand either.

Yes, you found it! :2thumbsup:
So we decided on the eagle on March 29-31.

We now have three eagles that are missing a feather in their left wing. Did they go to the same boxing school? Image

I realized my mistake. Until I saw the eagle close-up, I couldn't identify him on the branch. We need to go not forward but back from April 8th, when we had one Golden Boy.

Return to “White-tailed Eagles”