Latvian WtE nest webcamera Juras-erglis Durbe 2021

White-tailed eagles in Latvia

Moderator: Moderators

handbyl

Re: Latvian WtE nest webcamera Juras-erglis Durbe 2021

Post by handbyl »

Interesting - drama afoot. Milda shall not be pleased with this youngster testing the waters, so to speak.
ame

Post by ame »

good evening!

thank you for the videos and pictures Simoninna! :thumbs:
this was an interesting event: a young wanna-be girlfriend for Mr L! :mrgreen:
and poor Mr L had to fly away when this girl came on to him. :rotf:

today was a sunny day for a change with cows, ravens and jays.

by the way: it also turned out that the bird list here also has a pelican. now i'm not sure any more if the mystery bird is a pelican or a platypus. :puzzled:
i may have understood incorrect the meaning of the platypus. the Latvians probably call a mallard (a duck) with the name platypus and the mystery bird is a pelican. i am baffled and lost... :faint:

playlist for today:
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjup ... GauIRbs3VO
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

+ at 14:18, a loud bird on the right.
Abigyl

Post by Abigyl »

NOVEMBER 23rd

Good Morning!

09:00 Is it SNOW or ICE ??????

There are some "drops" in the air :thumbs:
Simoninna

Post by Simoninna »

ame wrote: November 22nd, 2021, 9:31 pm by the way: it also turned out that the bird list here also has a pelican. now i'm not sure any more if the mystery bird is a pelican or a platypus. :puzzled:
i may have understood incorrect the meaning of the platypus. the Latvians probably call a mallard (a duck) with the name platypus and the mystery bird is a pelican. i am baffled and lost... :faint:

playlist for today:
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjup ... GauIRbs3VO
Hi ame, I'm so sorry that the story of the platypus is so ingrained in the chat that it's confusing for those who translate. Image
Of course, there are no platypus or pelicans in Latvia, it is a joke about the sounds made by a raven or a duck. Image

for others it is a joke, but for some it is confusing Image

the same story : https://www.looduskalender.ee/forum/vie ... 62#p833662

White pelican -11 observations – 1863-2018 http://www.putni.lv/pelono.htm
"The greatest threat to our planet is the belief that someone else will save it.” - Robert Swan Obe, the first man in history to walk to both the North and South Poles.
Abigyl

Post by Abigyl »

12:11 An eagle to the Left Branch

12:12 Calling and jumping down :thumbs:

Few seconds later. it left :wave:
handbyl

Post by handbyl »

Mr L I believe it was.

Just before he left to the left :D , there was a shadow flicker over the camera so someone might have swooped past and he then followed.
ame

Post by ame »

good evening!

Sonchik, the loud little bird yesterday afternoon was a blue tit who made a very short visit. he/she only said "hello" and then flew away again. :whistling:

yes handbyl, Mr L made a short visit at 12:11 - 12:12. before he he flew in Milda (= a female eagle) called very far. Mr L called to her and then took off. i think that the flicker of light was a trick made by sunlight on the dirty lens. i think that Milda was far and Mr L flew to meet her.

Simoninna, i understand that there are no platypus nor pelicans in Latvia. the pelican was new to me. so far i had understood that the platypus was a nickname for the mystery bird but is it not so? it would make more sense if the mallard is platypus because their bills are similar...
it is very difficult to follow the discussion in Latvian in the YT chat using the Google translator. usually i get very crazy translations. i think that you should try translating your own phrases to English yourselves sometimes, too, and you'd get good laughs. :D
GT is making quite nonsense-translations. besides that i suppose that people are writing in dialects and that doesn't make it any easier. i know that i could write in Finnish in such a way that it would make nonsense translations to any other languages. (probably not even all Finns would understand all... :mrgreen: )

19:46 onward there was a voice which is not often heard. i think it was a fox. here's a sample:

playlist today:
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjup ... Xhf8fbXDeS
handbyl

Post by handbyl »

ame wrote: November 23rd, 2021, 9:49 pm yes handbyl, Mr L made a short visit at 12:11 - 12:12. before he he flew in Milda (= a female eagle) called very far. Mr L called to her and then took off. i think that the flicker of light was a trick made by sunlight on the dirty lens. i think that Milda was far and Mr L flew to meet her.
... or the younger female wannabee consort to Mr L? :rolleyes:
Abigyl

Post by Abigyl »

NOVEMBER 24th

Good Morning!

This morning is less frozen.
ame

Post by ame »

good evening!

handbyl no! :shock:
... i can't think that a teenager like that could ever challenge Milda. :whistling:

this was a rather boring day with only few ravens visiting the top of the nest tree.
the playlist for today:
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjup ... u2G5Jj8C3Z
ame

Post by ame »

Nov 25

good evening!

what a busy day: one raven flew by and called in the morning and a tawny owl called a few times in the evening in dark. otherwise rain and grey. :slap:
playlist:
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjup ... GJS8YQUop8
Ajeta

Post by Ajeta »

NOV 26th, 2021

7:51:54 An eagle arrives (Mr L?)
stays on the nest a bit
then jumps to the top left branch
8:19:57 PS
8:19:59 leaves

An eagle arrives at 13:42:47
lands on top left branch
jumps onto the nest
takes off again at 13:43:49
ame

Post by ame »

good evening!
thank you ajeta! :thumbs:

i think that the eagle in the morning was Mr L although there was only little light in the morning, not really enough to see the tail, especially when he was not really co-operating.

in the afternoon we had a visit of a young but mature strange female. she had less dark in her tail than Milda when she arrived. she would be some challenge to Milda if she would come home when this girl is around.

besides these visits of eagles there were two jays who visited the top of the spruce on the right. a little later my hubby wrote a note: "14:06 yackety-yack of little birds". i guessed already before i watched the video: nuthatches. :laugh: besides that a great tit visited the nest. the nuthatches stayed out of sight.

playlist for today:
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjup ... tQO5D8GpJD
Abigyl

Post by Abigyl »

SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 27th

Good Morning!
It's a dark an foggy morning...
Abigyl

Post by Abigyl »

11:35 An Eagle, the Lord?, with a FISHIE :loveshower:

It is eating with a concert... the Raven is screaming with different calls :whistling:
Abigyl

Post by Abigyl »

Crow flew to the top and is disturbing the eagle to enjoy his lunch :mrgreen:
Abigyl

Post by Abigyl »

11:57 The eagle jumped up to the L Branches.

And left :wave:

Raven jumped down and looking for his part in the lunch :mrgreen:
Simoninna

Post by Simoninna »

Abigyl wrote: November 27th, 2021, 1:16 pm 11:35 An Eagle, the Lord?, with a FISHIE :loveshower:
:hi:
11.35-12.01
Mr L visit with the fish to the nest, eating fish and the patient raven who gets a few pieces of fish
"The greatest threat to our planet is the belief that someone else will save it.” - Robert Swan Obe, the first man in history to walk to both the North and South Poles.
ame

Post by ame »

good evening!

thank you for your observations!

Simoninna, i find the thumbnail picture of your video somewhat confusing. :unsure:
it gives the impression that Mr L and a raven were on the nest at the same time which they were not.

two ravens followed Mr L when he brought the fish but they both stayed away far enough from him. one of them came to the nest after Mr L left to clean the nest from any leftovers. in fact a raven returned almost 3 hours later to make sure that nothing was left.

after that at 12:11 we had a visit of a woodpecker whom we don't see so often: a middle spotted woodpecker Dendrocopos medius.

15:46 another less frequent visitor but not so rare: a goldcrest.

16:19:43 an unmistakable sound which was very familiar: an eagle's sneeze. :mrgreen:
a little later a grey big bird flew away from under the nest to the right. it took me some time before i found out when the eagle had come: at 16:18:20 a soft sound of landing.
the eagle made a very sneaky visit. it's impossible to know who it was but it's probable that it was not one of our eagles.

the playlist for today:
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjup ... TI8xJ0SPWN

Return to “White-tailed Eagles”