Latvian WtE nest webcamera Juras-erglis: Discussions

White-tailed eagles in Latvia

Moderator: Moderators

Ajeta

Re: Latvian WtE nest webcamera Juras-erglis: Discussions

Post by Ajeta »

rebelde wrote: May 6th, 2021, 6:12 pm BTW who is Moonshadow?
Moonshadow is my personal name for the present holder of Raimis' throne. His silver head and neck represents the moonlight part, the dark plumage on his wings the shadow. :laugh:
rebelde wrote: May 6th, 2021, 6:12 pm As an answer to your question: I posted quite a lot of pictures to a thread of a biutiful Estonian WTE-nest of Suvi and Sulev with one girl eaglet, Sulvi, in the summer of 2018. It was a different period in my life and I was able to spend a lot of time doing it and making early morning observations of the nest. The nest was positioned so that the light was very nice most of the time, so there were a lot of photos in that thread, along with videos. It was only after the happier (but weaker by construction) estonian nests that I found the Durbe nest. :nod:
Thanks! I shall go there sometime to admire them. I have looked at some older nests, but have problems with the camera. I think this one here really has the best view. The one at Merikotkas is good, too. And so was the one for Anna and Uku. But some of the older are quite far away (with Pukite and Makonite) or Knips and Bose (?). While the one at Slitere I find too close. The one here shows the eagles very well, so that you can really notice many details.
rebelde

Post by rebelde »

Ajeta wrote: After copying those spectacular links (how did you come by them?) into my file of links by rebelde, where SB is now keeping company with Mr Spock, I shall reply:
Second only to Moon Shadow. :rotf:
I still don 't know who is Moonshadow, but if he is the former Silver Boy, I accept that new name by all means. :laugh: (Edit: Now I know.)

(I wanted to show how I see this Mr X2 or Silver Boy or Moonshadow - whatever he's called - and remembered Beckett's hair, nose and piercing eyes. He's not exactly what I was looking for; I might still find the the Silver Boy's identical human twin from male Hollywood actors from the 30's and 40's, or even later. And then I would need to make a comparison picture! :rotf: )
Ajeta

Post by Ajeta »

rebelde wrote: May 6th, 2021, 6:22 pm And then I would need to make a comparison picture! :rotf: )
You guessed right - and I have just started waiting impatiently for that picture :rotf:
rebelde

Post by rebelde »

Ajeta wrote: Thanks! I shall go there sometime to admire them.
There were great photos from many people, and the ones I really fell in love with were mostly from Sova. If it wasn't for her lovely photos I might have never given it a shot myself.
rebelde

Post by rebelde »

Ajeta wrote: May 6th, 2021, 6:25 pm You guessed right - and I have just started waiting impatiently for that picture :rotf:
Ajeta :hi: This is quite close, but there are pictures of him that show the similarity even better. :slap: (OK, no more pictures of human males, but I'm sure you got the idea.)
https://www.abc.net.au/news/image/11797 ... 40x627.jpg
Ajeta

Post by Ajeta »

rebelde wrote: May 6th, 2021, 6:41 pm Ajeta :hi: This is quite close, but there are pictures of him that show the similarity even better. :slap: (OK, no more pictures of human males, but I'm sure you got the idea.)
I definitely get the idea and I'm totally amazed at how you see those likenesses. I could not have told you anyone, I simply could not have seen it. But that picture - it is Ethan Hawke? - I know exactly what you mean.
I think the second pic of SB (and the first) you sent show that noblesse which the colouring of that eagle, his looks, convey. :nod: The EH pic reflects - mirrors - character, as it were. Of course that's nothing scientific or ornithological knowledge, but it's not about human males either. These comparisons, apart from being quite artistic, show something about the world, somehow, don't they? Or better hint at something -
I can't describe it. But it is striking. Also in terms of what is says about your head :laugh: First Japanese calligraphy, now this -

https://giphy.com/gifs/star-trek-wow-sp ... fullscreen
rebelde

Post by rebelde »

Ajeta wrote: But that picture - it is Ethan Hawke? - I know exactly what you mean.
I think the second pic of SB (and the first) you sent show that noblesse which the colouring of that eagle, his looks, convey. :nod: The EH pic reflects - mirrors - character, as it were. Of course that's nothing scientific or ornithological knowledge, but it's not about human males either. These comparisons, apart from being quite artistic, show something about the world, somehow, don't they? Or better hint at something -
I can't describe it. But it is striking. Also in terms of what is says about your head :laugh: -

https://giphy.com/gifs/star-trek-wow-sp ... fullscreen
Thank you, Ajeta! :mrgreen: Yes, it is. Now all we need is a good front picture of Moonshadow, where he looks in the direction of the camera a bit disoriented but with all the makings of a king, at least if he's asked. :rotf:
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

rodjur wrote: May 5th, 2021, 10:44 pm For sure Mr L is not Raimis? Sorry, I know it is an absurd question, but it is soo strange to me that Milda can change so quickly a partner. Sometimes I think that Raimis was not the first one for her, she seemed really experienced. And now I can say that she is very modern :) let's see what will happen, but she is really a very strong and special female!
As always, I'm late with the answer. :laugh:
Did anyone miss the comparison photos? I decided to conduct an experiment. You are all asked to answer - is it clear that the eagles are different or are there doubts?

Added later: in all comparative photos of the eagles, Silver Boy on the left, Raimis on the right.

Image Image Image
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

Image Image Image
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

Image Image
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

Image Image Image
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

Image Image Image
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

ame

Post by ame »

it is clear that the plumages of different eagles have different details depending on the stage of the moult.
these differences are useful in identification only if one can describe and point out these differences. then every viewer would be able to see what to look at and then identify the birds her(him)self, too. otherwise they are not useful.

we need descriptions and good pictures of both tails and plumages if we hope to identify the eagles who have no rings. not all details are visible on every visit so we need a lot of pictures showing different aspects of the birds. even despite of all this some birds remain unidentified.
Ajeta

Post by Ajeta »

balistar wrote: May 7th, 2021, 1:07 pm ame, juchuuu, i managed to get the timestamp in the picture :laugh:
Congratulations, balistar! Once one get started it's actually fun, isn't it, trying out things and finding solutions for things like time stamps. I'm also working on it - but I admit it took me rather long to deal with my wee bird left wing picture, which is why the post ended up out of chronological order. :laugh:
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

Ajeta wrote: May 5th, 2021, 2:20 pm 13:47 Both on the nest.
Milda has a fuller crop than the stranger. So have those morning conversations Sonchik keeps reporting on already born fruit? Did he pass on his catch to her? :laugh:
I watched this visit. I wonder why they were digging the nest together right now. But the most interesting thing - why did Milda scutch a coniferous twig? I've never seen anything like it.
I think they have a pronounced mutual sympathy. I even thought the Silver Boy was going to jump on Milda. That's what I meant when I said that Milda only tolerated Raimis. It's very different here.
Ajeta

Post by Ajeta »

Sonchik wrote: May 7th, 2021, 12:20 pm As always, I'm late with the answer. :laugh:
Did anyone miss the comparison photos? I decided to conduct an experiment. You are all asked to answer - is it clear that the eagles are different or are there doubts?
That is a spectacular row of posts of comparable pictures.
You must have spent an enormous amount of time finding the eagles sit in exactly the same position. No wonder your answer is "late" as you say.
But it was time well spent - the result is magnificent: It clearly shows how different they really look.
Very impressive work.
Ajeta

Post by Ajeta »

Sonchik wrote: May 7th, 2021, 1:52 pm But the most interesting thing - why did Milda scutch a coniferous twig? I've never seen anything like it.
Because she was showing him that she's the perfect housewife - to me it looked like she was swinging that twig like a broom :rotf:

(I took a serious of shots - perhaps one day I'll be able to make a gif out of them. But I'm not there yet with my picture posting lessons.)
balistar

Post by balistar »

Ajeta wrote: May 7th, 2021, 1:46 pm Congratulations, balistar! Once one get started it's actually fun, isn't it, trying out things and finding solutions for things like time stamps. I'm also working on it - but I admit it took me rather long to deal with my wee bird left wing picture, which is why the post ended up out of chronological order. :laugh:
Congrats to you, too, Ajeta :D
I still haven't figured it out completely, how the program will do what i want it to do. The timestamp was just a luckily coincidence, i don't know exactly how it worked, so that i can repeat it in other pictures. While trying out, once it was even mirrored, but i don't know how that happened - not yet 8-) :laugh:
( but currently i can't further work on it, i can't use my fingers, it's too cold, have to wear gloves :( )
Ajeta

Post by Ajeta »

Sonchik wrote: May 7th, 2021, 1:52 pm I wonder why they were digging the nest together right now.
I think it's part of a bonding ritual. Their way to communicate - they cannot chat to get better acquainted after all.
Sonchik wrote: May 7th, 2021, 1:52 pm I think they have a pronounced mutual sympathy. I even thought the Silver Boy was going to jump on Milda. That's what I meant when I said that Milda only tolerated Raimis. It's very different here.
Yes, it looked that way at least once. But you do not know how Milda would have reacted if he had actually tried.

What I found amusing is how small he looks in comparison to Milda. When he first came to the nest, we all thought (except handbyl and perhaps c4colby) that he was a female, and that he might be a "Supermilda" as I think Ame put it.

Return to “White-tailed Eagles”