Latvian WtE nest webcamera Juras-erglis: Discussions

White-tailed eagles in Latvia

Moderator: Moderators

Ajeta

Re: Latvian WtE nest webcamera Juras-erglis: Discussions

Post by Ajeta »

rebelde wrote: April 22nd, 2021, 8:32 pm Milda just rolled the eggs at around 20:26 - 20:27. :thumbs: She also gave a long look at them. :slap:
A video from the other thread (by ame): https://youtu.be/4fE2HrWQi6c
Sorry, me again, rebelde :shock: :laugh:
I wanted to thank you earlier for drawing my attention to the rolling of eggs or rather the lack there of since the little one hatched. I was immediately very sad bc I thought, well, that's it then as far as another chick goes. But then I wondered whether perhaps all that shuffling they do when they get in and out of the nest bowl, I mean Milda and Chips, moves the eggs a little bit at least, too? Anyway, from your remark on I looked closely at every time Milda/Chips got up and it seemed the eggs didn't lie in the same position all the time. Well, we will see. Perhaps with egg rolling it is just like with covering the eggs - there are exceptions to most rules.

Edit: And thank you very much for the link. I think it's a very good idea to insert links to the other thread!
Ajeta

Post by Ajeta »

rebelde wrote: April 22nd, 2021, 8:47 pm I thought I heard it too, but I have already mistaken the first chick's chirping with eggtalk so I'm not sure about anything.
I'm glad to hear you think you heard it too. At the very least then we will each have the other's company in erring. :laugh:
rebelde

Post by rebelde »

Ajeta wrote: April 22nd, 2021, 8:58 pm I'm glad to hear you heard it too. At the very least then we will each have the other's company in erring. :laugh:
Yes, it's so much fun to err together! :rotf: A while ago at the evening feeding 21:00 - there's was a very clear chup-chup-chup either from the baby outside or the baby inside the egg. :whistling: And the hole was there still.
Ajeta

Post by Ajeta »

rebelde wrote: April 22nd, 2021, 9:09 pm Yes, it's so much fun to err together! :rotf: A while ago at the evening feeding 21:00 - there's was a very clear chup-chup-chup either from the baby outside or the baby inside the egg. :whistling: And the hole was there still.
Yes! I'm just watching it - and the outside chick is eating (swallowing) while the chup chup can be heard, if I'm not mistaken? Could it chup chup while swallowing or sticking its beak into the bottom of the nest bowl? :mrgreen:

Edit: And now there's a pieeep pieeep (begging for more fish) simultaneously with the chup chup? Would the outside chick be a ventriloquist? :rotf:
rebelde

Post by rebelde »

Ajeta wrote: April 22nd, 2021, 9:16 pm And now there's a pieeep pieeep (begging for more fish) simultaneously with the chup chup? Would the outside chick be a ventriloquist? :rotf:
:rotf: (I also heard them simultaneously, so at least there's the two of us hearing "voices".)
pazi

Post by pazi »

21:29 Milda stood up and spent a good while looking under her belly. Tomorrow morning should be interesting.
Ajeta

Post by Ajeta »

rebelde wrote: April 22nd, 2021, 9:26 pm :rotf: (I also heard them simultaneously, so at least there's the two of us hearing "voices".)
You know what I simply must write now, rebelde, don't you:
https://giphy.com/gifs/star-trek-wow-sp ... ullscreenI

:laugh:
Ajeta

Post by Ajeta »

pazi wrote: April 22nd, 2021, 9:33 pm 21:29 Milda stood up and spent a good while looking under her belly. Tomorrow morning should be interesting.
:thumbs:
Ajeta

Post by Ajeta »

21:48:59 More chup chup chup?
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

rebelde wrote: April 22nd, 2021, 12:55 pm :hi: Shouldn't Milda keep rolling the egg(s) in case there's a pip? :unsure:
Mr C did some egg rolling yesterday, but I haven't seen Milda doing it. (I couldn't blame her, if that's her choice, but I also trust that she would roll an egg with a pip.)
I recently read on the forum, but couldn't find it again. It's hard not to know the language. :banghead: When the first chick hatches, the birds turn off the reflex of turning the eggs, as this can be dangerous for already hatched chicks. They switch to chick mode.
nuricp

Post by nuricp »

rebelde wrote: April 22nd, 2021, 9:26 pm :rotf: (I also heard them simultaneously, so at least there's the two of us hearing "voices".)
Me too!
balistar

Post by balistar »

Good evening everyone :hi:
Ajeta wrote: April 22nd, 2021, 7:07 pm balistar - at 19:04:19 there seemed to be something on the second (?) egg. Could this be a PIP? It was there right when Milda got up.
:wave: Ajeta, i'm so sorry that i haven't yet answered to you.
(i've been offline for a while due to health caused need to lay down)
Meanwhile it should be clear, i saw the pic of 19.04.33 by ame.

I shall try to watch back now - thanks to you and rebelde :wave: for all the timestamps :thumbs:
and perhaps i'll join you in the error-club or the club "hearing voices" :laugh: it will take a while.....
Ajeta

Post by Ajeta »

balistar wrote: April 22nd, 2021, 10:28 pm :wave: Ajeta, i'm so sorry that i haven't yet answered to you.
(i've been offline for a while due to health caused need to lay down)

and perhaps i'll join you in the error-club or the club "hearing voices" :laugh: it will take a while.....
I hope you had a good lay down, balistar, and I am very grateful that you will now check the matter with the PIP. As for the club of the hearers of voices, I'm sure rebelde will agree to make you an honorary member :laugh:
I look forward to your analysis - but please do not exhaust yourself. Your health is more important.
Ajeta

Post by Ajeta »

nuricp wrote: April 22nd, 2021, 10:28 pmMe too!
That's great, nuricp, thank you for your testimony! :thumbs:
Ajeta

Post by Ajeta »

Sonchik wrote: April 22nd, 2021, 10:01 pm I recently read on the forum, but couldn't find it again. It's hard not to know the language. :banghead: When the first chick hatches, the birds turn off the reflex of turning the eggs, as this can be dangerous for already hatched chicks. They switch to chick mode.
This is very good news indeed. First of all, bc there is a chance for further babies to have survived. And secondly, bc it is good to know that the first born won't be rolled under the other eggs. I had worried about that.
rebelde

Post by rebelde »

Ajeta wrote: April 22nd, 2021, 9:47 pm You know what I simply must write now, rebelde, don't you:
https://giphy.com/gifs/star-trek-wow-sp ... ullscreenI

:laugh:
Ajeta :2thumbsup: 8-)
rebelde

Post by rebelde »

nuricp wrote: April 22nd, 2021, 10:28 pmMe too!
:wave: Excellent! :laugh:
rebelde

Post by rebelde »

Sonchik wrote: I recently read on the forum, but couldn't find it again. It's hard not to know the language. :banghead: When the first chick hatches, the birds turn off the reflex of turning the eggs, as this can be dangerous for already hatched chicks. They switch to chick mode.
:hi: Sonchik - Ok. I had just learned from a note by Balistar, that it's essential that the pipped eggs are rolled frequently, so that the chicks don't get stuck in the membrane (or whatever it's called) and die, to put it very bluntly. I understand the change of modes, but today we have seen Milda getting back to egg rolling, as there seems to be a serious case of PIP in one of the remaining eggs. Yesterday she didn't do it, so I guess she was in the 'chick mode' besides waiting for Mr C to bring in some food, and maybe everything was in the state of uncertainty precisely because of Mr C; it wasn't cleared until late in the evening when he started bringing in some leftovers, which were enough for the chick's first meal. But yes, like Ajeta suggested, there must be some kind of rolling/moving going on which we don't know about, when there are eggs among hatched chicks - for example today I saw Milda moving herself/the brood patch area vigorously on the eggs while making sure that the chick wasn't crushed under her weight. It takes some skill to do it effectively without harming the chick, and therefore I'm sure that it's done only when needed. In addition Milda rolled the eggs three or four times the normal way. :innocent:
balistar

Post by balistar »

Ajeta,
now i reached 19.04 (was going back, started at ca. 11 and taking pics) and now coming back to:
Ajeta wrote: April 22nd, 2021, 7:07 pm balistar - at 19:04:19 there seemed to be something on the second (?) egg. Could this be a PIP? It was there right when Milda got up.
yes, this is definitely a PIP hole :nod: (if not, i'll wearing a burqa from now on :laugh: bc :blush: )

19.04.22 with imagination one could even suspect to see an eggtooth

i would rather say an eggtooth or at least a tiny part of a chick bc it was moving slightly
(i've watched it twice, even with 0,25 speed. When it moved, the dark in the hole is more filled out and then back again less filled out, i hope you understand what i mean, hard to describe, at least in another language) And i think this little dark spot which remained (out of the 2 or with the food 3) of which we were talking yesterday, was the first Pip which expanded to this hole now.

----------------------

Sonchik wrote: April 22nd, 2021, 10:01 pm I recently read on the forum, but couldn't find it again. It's hard not to know the language. .. When the first chick hatches, the birds turn off the reflex of turning the eggs, as this can be dangerous for already hatched chicks. They switch to chick mode.
rebelde wrote: April 23rd, 2021, 12:42 am .....but today we have seen Milda getting back to egg rolling, as there seems to be a serious case of PIP in one of the remaining eggs. Yesterday she didn't do it, so I guess she was in the 'chick mode' besides waiting for Mr C to bring in some food, and maybe everything was in the state of uncertainty precisely because of Mr C; ....
.....In addition Milda rolled the eggs three or four times the normal way.
:hi: Sonchik and rebelde, :thumbs:

at 19.04.40 Milda, before she settled down, she first gave the baby eaglet a little "roll" with her beak, then she rolled the eggs, made sure the chick is on the left and both eggs on the right under her.

(sorry, i had to remove a few of your smileys due to the 5 only)
balistar

Post by balistar »

21.29 what pazi noted, i saw, too. Milda was definitely listening to the egg with the hole. She can hear much more than we are able to hear via microphone.

Ajeta wrote: April 22nd, 2021, 9:51 pm 21:48:59 More chup chup chup?
Ajeta, i heard almost all chup chup, too, which you and rebelde have noted.

Also this one, you noted above :thumbs:
21.48.58 - 21.59.00 and
21.49.07 - 21.49.09

21.49.31 also eggtalk when Milda changed position in the dark

rebelde noted this eggtalk on the o-thread:
rebelde wrote: April 23rd, 2021, 12:53 am 00:01:48 - 00:03:40 loud eggtalk (or already halfway out?)
and i continued with these on the o-thread:
balistar wrote: April 23rd, 2021, 3:04 am ...rebelde,

i shall continue with timestamps for loud and clear eggtalk :D
always when it starts to chup-chup it's pretty loud, then gets less loud (it must be exhausting :D )

00.46.57 - 01.48.30
01.48.57 - 01.49.03
02.34.01 - 02.34.42
02.34.49 - 02.35.00

I would not be surprised if we would see a second baby eaglet tomorrow :laugh:
Good night eggtalk-listener :wave:

Return to “White-tailed Eagles”