Latvian WtE nest webcamera Juras-erglis: Discussions

White-tailed eagles in Latvia

Moderator: Moderators

Ajeta

Re: Latvian WtE nest webcamera Juras-erglis: Discussions

Post by Ajeta »

rebelde wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 6:08 pm :hi: Ajeta! I like that. I have also paid attention to your very fair views of Mr C and appreciated them. I'm one of those who had no earlier sympathy towards Mr X2, as you well know, so I felt no urge to speak in his defense about the egg or the fact that he challenged MrC's dominance of the territory at a very delicate moment.
For many of us it just happened too fast and too dramatically, and we are still recovering from it. :cry:
No need to defend him - and I have noticed your attention to equal standards for everyone in the past, too, with great admiration, so I was hoping I could appeal to you here :wave:
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

ame wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 5:18 pm ...
i think that the crows upset Raimis and made him call so much. then he flew out and Milda came in. Raimis returned to the top branch and both called. then Raimis flew away to the direction of the Fish Market. he never returned. Milda lay down on the eggs. she didn't appear to be upset about anything. i don't believe there were any strangers. only crows.
I don't think Raimis could have been so upset about the crows. He was very overexcited that night.
i also tried to listen to the recordings from the following night to hear if there was anything unusual there. it was a windy night and all i could find (by accident!) were some swans who flew by the nest very near and called loud. in the audio waveform stripe even these loud calls were not visible against the background. i gave up looking for more sounds.
I watched the stream until 20: 10-20: 20 approximately. I always watched until dark. I heard someone screaming. Maybe they were swans. I didn't think much of it.
The next day, when I realized that Raimis was missing, I was able to rewind to about 22:13. From that moment on, I listened to everything until morning. There were no screams.
I was later asked if I had heard any gunshots. I don't think I heard it, but I wouldn't have noticed it then, even if I heard. Strange shots were fired in the following days. Then they began to strain everyone.

At 8:17:13 shot.
Ajeta

Post by Ajeta »

handbyl wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 4:30 pm When was the last time definitively, that Milda was sighted?

I wonder what would happen if an eagle pair lost a fight for a nest, the male losing to a rival but without being killed or severely injured. Would the female transfer to the victor, staying with the nest, or is the pair bond strong enough that they seek another opportunity elsewhere?

So, if Milda bonded enough with Mr C those few weeks, might she move off with him?
You probably have seen: She has just arrived (18:16) in the nest, cleaning up the fish mess Mr X2 left behind at lunch time and bemoaning that he didn't spare her any of that fish. I do not understand why everyone seems to worry about Milda as soon as she doesn't appear for a few days. She takes such leaves often enough, I think. And she really spent more than enough time consecutively on the nest in the past weeks.
Anyway, I'm glad she put to rest those worries.

Edit: handbyl, I wrote the above in a hurry as my millet was boiling over, but thought afterwards it may have sounded somewhat offhand. It was not meant to be - you had a very specific question / suspicion regarding Milda's absence, which I thought very interesting (but can't answer). So I hope not to have offended you with my hurried reply.
rebelde

Post by rebelde »

Thank you, Ajeta! :wave: (Now I feel somewhat honoured. :D )

Edit: I'm watching them live - Milda and MrX2. They look good, they seem to be in harmony. And there's no surprise girfriend expected from the shadows.
An impressive sight, to be fair. 8-)
Ajeta

Post by Ajeta »

rebelde wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 6:29 pm Thank you, Ajeta! :wave: (Now I feel somewhat honoured. :D )

Edit: I'm watching them live - Milda and MrX2. They look good, they seem to be in harmony. And there's no surprise girfriend expected from the shadows.
An impressive sight, to be fair. 8-)
THANK YOU for your fairness! I'm watching them, too, with great amusement. He seems - to be fair - a bit uncouth yet (you do not argue with Milda!), but somehow they are very sweet. I think all those rituals they have, moving hay around the nest bowl, shouting, standing there looking around make it easy for them, probably, to get along with one another, even in such a short time. And yes, I am glad that there is no surprise girlfriend or Milda having left the territory or any other catastrophy. (Though I wasn't expecting any anyway, just imagining Milda enjoying her freedom and relaxation after such troublesome and exhausting weeks.)
rebelde

Post by rebelde »

Ajeta wrote: He seems - to be fair - a bit uncouth yet (you do not argue with Milda!), but somehow they are very sweet. I think all those rituals they have, moving hay around the nest bowl, shouting, standing there looking around make it easy for them, probably to get along with one another, even in such a short time. And yes, I am glad that there is no surprise girlfriend or Milda having left the territory or any other catastrophy. (Though I wasn't expecting any anyway, just imagining Milda enjoying her freedom and relaxation after such troublesome and exhausting weeks.)
Sweet indeed. Now I, too, can relax and wish MrC a better opportunity, wherever he is - hopefully in one piece. :bow:
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

I realized that I had to make excuses all the time for things I hadn't even thought about. Now I want to explain myself. The intonation in the text is put by the person who reads it.
I didn't impose mine eagle name on anyone. But everyone was critical. So I had to explain repeatedly why I didn't want to call he a Chip. Unfortunately, he was never given an official name and I need to call him something.
Ajeta wrote: May 2nd, 2021, 6:27 am ...
after all you liked Chips a lot. (Egg-eater seems a name born of hurt feeling, too. It does him injustice though. He was on the nest twice before alone with the living eggs and did not eat them. He only ate an already dead egg / hatchling, just as the dead little ones were regarded as food by Milda. I'm glad that hatchling didn't end up in the stomach of a crow.)
I didn't like him. I don't even like him outwardly, unpleasant. But he was very helpful to Milda at that moment. I suspected that he had lost his family and I felt sorry for him.
When I write about eagles, I realize that we are also read by less informed people. I could call stepfather a "black mark", but not everyone knows about the black spot in the beak. Everyone knows about the Big Boy that he ate an egg. There is no other definition that everyone can understand, without exception. He hadn't spent enough time in the nest.
Ajeta wrote: May 2nd, 2021, 11:07 am ...
Egg-eater is not in the same way referring to a random bodily feature. It describes a kind of acting, in this case in exactly one particular event, one in which the eagle could possibly have acted differently, more to human taste, so to speak. Egg-eater is deprecating, as it evokes an idea of cruelty. In fact, however, he was not cruel to the dead hatchling nor to the living eggs when he encountered them. He was cruel to Chips in driving him away (for the time being), and thus to all those who felt great attachment to Chips. By naming him with a name connoting cruelty, you transfer his presumed cruelty to Chips onto the egg.
Ajeta wrote: May 2nd, 2021, 12:08 pm I believe with these two sentences you are contradicting the ones before, at the very least to some extent. 8-)
You could with equal certainty have called Chips "crow-thief", had you disliked him. He "deserved" that just as much. Especially as it could be argued that with that theft he basically annihilated the effects of his former care. However, here you make allowances for his self-preservation. With Mr X2 you do not make such allowances regarding the egg, though he was in a fight, too, at the time, just as Chips had been when he ate the crow. Instead you call that a "less pleasant" feature of Mr X2.
That's what I meant when I said that you're not impartial.
Here there was an assessment of my opinion about the eagle, which does not correspond to reality.
I don't think it's negative that the eagle ate the egg. We too eat fried eggs and no one calls each other cruel because of this. I do not condemn the actions of the eagles at all."that's stupid. This is humanization. But the eagles are not human.
For me, there is no difference between a stepfather sitting on eggs and a Big boy eating an egg. So I couldn't blame any of them for anything. This is just a description of the facts, without emotional or moral overtones. But I am credited with a negative assessment and draw conclusions that I come up with negative names for the eagles.
I didn't put negativity in my words, you don't need to look for it in my words. I hope no one doubts the fact of eating an egg?
When I wrote that the Big Boy was not remembered for anything good yet, it was a joke, of course. I laugh at our human interpretations of the eagles ' actions. I also use them to make it clear what I'm talking about. But I don't apply human standards to eagles.
So I couldn't give someone a discount. For me, they are equal. Just because the Big Boy didn't help Milda doesn't mean he's bad. Maybe that's how the circumstances worked out. Maybe he has no experience. We don't know.
Ajeta wrote: May 2nd, 2021, 9:51 pm ...
As regards the name "leg" - it's a bit funny, but to be honest I would not much like the male contenders past and future be named after limbs. Would you want to call the stepfather "beak"?
I don't care who calls the eagles by what name. But, for some reason, everyone cares about what I name the eagle. But I can't not name him anyhow.
ame

Post by ame »

Sonchik wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 6:10 pm There is one segment here. I don't have anything else.
https://forums.dabasdati.lv/viewtopic.p ... 60#p273760
i don't seem to find a way to download the video. it is no help for me. :slap:
thanks anyway.
handbyl

Post by handbyl »

I think what Milda needs is for there to be many challenges to Mr L, and for him to prevail. That way it gets "proven" that Mr L will have the legs to last through a breeding season.

At least that is my thinking. I suspect we shall see a few contenders still. Mr L was present earlier, right? And Mr C saw him off, for a while. If that's right, then Mr L is not impregnable and he might get turfed out still.
rebelde

Post by rebelde »

handbyl wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 9:21 pm I think what Milda needs is for there to be many challenges to Mr L, and for him to prevail. That way it gets "proven" that Mr L will have the legs to last through a breeding season.
:wave: You are looking for a superhero...
Ajeta

Post by Ajeta »

rebelde wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 8:22 pm ... hopefully in one piece. :bow:
Yes, I do hope so too. He did not have to fight for eggs or kids, just for a territory. So perhaps he could leave when he saw that this time he couldn't win, go somewhere on a beach to recover and come back later. Just as Mr X2 seems to have done. Have there not been nests in America reported where there were indeed two males? Maybe that would be a good solution here, too, to have both Mr Gold and Mr Silver (those are the latest names I made up for personal use, Mr Gold being Mr C, of course, with his golden glowing eyes). Then Milda could lay 4 eggs, as Sonchik once suggested, and there would still be always enough fish. :nod:
Ajeta

Post by Ajeta »

rebelde wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 5:33 pm I couldn't believe it but yet I did believe it out of some kind of disinclined courtesy for Mr X2. )
That's the spirit, rebelde! :rotf:
rebelde

Post by rebelde »

Ajeta wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 10:09 pm Have there not been nests in America reported where there were indeed two males? Maybe that would be a good solution here, too, to have both Mr Gold and Mr Silver (those are the latest names I made up for personal use, Mr Gold being Mr C, of course, with his golden glowing eyes). Then Milda could lay 4 eggs, as Sonchik once suggested, and there would still be always enough fish. :nod:
Two males at once? + 4 kids?? In this nest??? :shock: Otherwise it sounds more than PERFECT. Yeah... :thumbs:
rebelde

Post by rebelde »

Ajeta wrote: That's the spirit, rebelde! :rotf:
:whistling:
Ajeta

Post by Ajeta »

rebelde wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 10:16 pm Two males at once? + 4 kids?? In this nest??? :shock: Otherwise it sounds more than PERFECT. Yeah... :thumbs:
Well, yes, this nest would have to be expanded a bit - it seemed rather crowded earlier with just Milda and Mr X2 in it - Mr C isn't exactly small either after all. :laugh:
handbyl

Post by handbyl »

Ajeta wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 6:26 pm Edit: handbyl, I wrote the above in a hurry as my millet was boiling over, but thought afterwards it may have sounded somewhat offhand. It was not meant to be - you had a very specific question / suspicion regarding Milda's absence, which I thought very interesting (but can't answer). So I hope not to have offended you with my hurried reply.
No worries - I just wonder what is the norm: female bonds with nest and then accepts whatever male rules the roost.

Or female bonds with male and if he loses but remains viable, she follows.

Eagles differ enormously between species, but I'm guessing WTE will follow the first pattern.
rebelde wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 9:56 pm You are looking for a superhero...
Well, in a sense that is what a ranking male needs to be. Needs to see off all challengers.

One thing I do know: eagles are not sentimental. That's our parade event!
rebelde

Post by rebelde »

Ajeta wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 10:22 pm Well, yes, this nest would have to be expanded a bit
I'm afraid this nest can't be much expanded - it's the shape of the "bowl" which determines the size and the shape of the nest.
For the kind of hippie commune you envisioned, our trio would have to find a more suitable tree, and we would never see any of them again... :cry:
It amazes me that this nest has endured through all the storms and havoc with agitated males crashing in and out, dropping down from the top and even fighting in the nest! Maybe Raimis had taken extra care when building it from scratch after Rika and Miks had dismantled the former construction with their super efficient stick exercises in 2019. 8-) With all the disturbances of the 2020 season the nest stood strong.

It's another cause of sadness among food misery, that there are fewer and fewer trees, in otherwise ideal locations, which would make strong and safe bases for WTE nests.
rebelde

Post by rebelde »

handbyl wrote: Well, in a sense that is what a ranking male needs to be. Needs to see off all challengers.
A normal, healthy male who has the motivation (and a bit of luck) can go a long way, as we have seen.
One has more raw power than another, the other can be fast as lightning. The one who's around when the breeding cycle begins gets hormonal advantage and is hard to beat. Yet Raimis was defeated. I believe there are no absolutes in this matter.
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

Ajeta wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 10:09 pm ...
Mr Gold and Mr Silver (those are the latest names I made up for personal use, Mr Gold being Mr C, of course, with his golden glowing eyes).
About! I really like it! :headroll:
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

This is why it surprises me to identify eagles solely by the tail, which is very variable. Almost page, everyone is discussing whether Raimis is back. The faces of the eagles are different, the figures are different, the dimensions are different, but... the tail is similar and nothing else is taken into account.
https://forums.dabasdati.lv/viewtopic.p ... 07#p280807

Return to “White-tailed Eagles”