Latvian WtE nest webcamera Juras-erglis: Discussions

White-tailed eagles in Latvia

Moderator: Moderators

Ajeta

Re: Latvian WtE nest webcamera Juras-erglis: Discussions

Post by Ajeta »

balistar wrote: May 7th, 2021, 2:03 pm The timestamp was just a luckily coincidence, i don't know exactly how it worked, so that i can repeat it in other pictures.
Yes, that happens to me, too: Something suddenly works and I have no idea why. :laugh:

I'm very sorry for your fingers. I hope the weather will get warmer soon.
balistar

Post by balistar »

Sonchik wrote: May 7th, 2021, 1:56 pm What a beautiful bird at 10:04-10:06!
i guess (!!) a female chaffinch - but i'm not at all sure :D
rebelde

Post by rebelde »

Sonchik wrote: As always, I'm late with the answer. :laugh:
Did anyone miss the comparison photos? I decided to conduct an experiment. You are all asked to answer - is it clear that the eagles are different or are there doubts?
Good work, Sonchik! :2thumbsup: And thank you. At least I called for comparison photos, which used to be seen often in some other threads.
The Silver Boy or Moonshadow (as Ajeta likes to call him) is easily recognized from the front face pics, because beside the distinguishable silver colouring there's an elegant asymmetry in the shape of his head plumage (at least for the moment), and under his beak he has a short "beard" (at least for the time being) which reminds me of the Estonian Eve's even more fluffed up "beard" - not that there would be any more similarities between them. :D
The Golden Boy's lantern eyes don't stand out in these pictures but I think I recognize him from his head colour and posture...
As for Milda, we should make no mistakes. Or Raimis - after all these years... :whistling:
C4colby

Post by C4colby »

Sonchik, thank you for all the photo comparisons. Although I am somewhat knowledgeable about eagles, I have never been very good at always telling who is who. So for the most part, if I don’t recognize the eagle, I will just continue to do what I do most times, wait for you guys to tell me. Ha! Ha!

I’m sure someone will probably tell me not to discuss other nest on this thread, but I’m going to say it anyway, I’m really enjoying watching Eve ad Eeriks’ nest. They are quite a nice pair and their eaglets appear to be thriving. The main reason I bring up this nest is that I continue to be fascinated by the differences in parenting styles. Eve certainly has the most gentle touch of feeding her eaglets. Her and Eerik seem to parent with ease.
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

ame wrote: May 5th, 2021, 7:26 pm ...
(- i think that not even Sonchik can see the face of the eagle reliably enough to tell who it was.)

[youtube]4lIZ0R3d--Y[/ youtube]
As far as I know, we have three eagles with similar tails. So this is one of the three. :mrgreen:
Unfortunately, the eagle did not show its brow ridges, the Silver Boy has them special.
rebelde

Post by rebelde »

Sonchik wrote: Silver Boy's eyes are special.
Sonchik :hi: His, too? In which way, compared to the Golden "Lantern Eye" Boy? :puzzled:
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

rebelde wrote: May 7th, 2021, 8:16 pm Sonchik :hi: His, too? In which way, compared to the Golden "Lantern Eye" Boy? :puzzled:
You need to ask the translator for this. :rotf:
The Russian version did not have the word "eyes". I corrected it in the message.

"There is no hurry. There is no hurry.. " I tell myself.
rebelde

Post by rebelde »

Sonchik wrote: May 7th, 2021, 8:35 pm You need to ask the translator for this. :rotf:
Ok, I see. :laugh:
(Yes, the Silver Boy's eyebrows are special!)
balistar

Post by balistar »

The gray eyebrows of Mr L could be seen well yesterday when he came in soaked wet
and not only the eyebrows are impressive, but also the talons (somehow i don't expect him to be young)

May 06, 20.39

C4colby

Post by C4colby »

Im glad Balistar that you mentioned that you don’t expect him to be young. I have felt that Mr. C was younger and more fit and that Mr. L is much older but has fed himself well. But then again what do I know when it comes to comparisons.
rebelde

Post by rebelde »

balistar wrote: The gray eyebrows of Mr L could be seen well yesterday when he came in soaked wet
and not only the eyebrows are impressive, but also the talons (somehow i don't expect him to be young)
Balistar :wave:
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

balistar wrote: May 7th, 2021, 9:47 pm The gray eyebrows of Mr L could be seen well yesterday when he came in soaked wet
Yes, yes, yes! He reminds me of an Oriental gray-haired man. :nod:

And so - in all the comparative photos of the eagles, the Silver Boy is on the left, and Raimis is on the right.
I will add the information to the message with the photo.
balistar

Post by balistar »

:hi: C4colby, rebelde, Sonchik, Ajeta
C4colby wrote: May 7th, 2021, 11:34 pm ...
ha, then we are already two who "feel" the same :D
if we go on spinning it, we could feel confirmed after today's mating attempt, as he dares more than Mr C
Sonchik wrote: May 8th, 2021, 8:51 am ...
thank you :thumbs:
Sonchik wrote: May 7th, 2021, 1:52 pm ...
I think they have a pronounced mutual sympathy. I even thought the Silver Boy was going to jump on Milda. That's what I meant when I said that Milda only tolerated Raimis. It's very different here.
ame wrote: May 8th, 2021, 9:22 am ...
mating attempt!
[img]https://up.picr.de/41144406hg.jpg[ /img]
Milda refused. ...
you're thought came true this morning :laugh: 8-)
balistar

Post by balistar »

in the YT-chat the question came up:

poma:
​zubite ST could it be that there was first a ring at the leg of Mr. L?

žubīte ST:
poma - we do not know, but the possibility exists, we are talking about it in the chat..

i don't know whether the WTE's -if ringed- have only one ring or two :puzzled:
if two rings are usual, there should be left at least one ring on one leg

EDIT: the answer came right away - thank you, ame :thumbs:

MSanmaelo (ame):
​nowadays the eagles are ringed with only one ring and that is placed on the right leg. Mr L has the injury in the left leg.

MSanmaelo:
earlier eagles were given two rings. it is very unlikely that an eagle could get rid of them both.
rebelde

Post by rebelde »

Sonchik wrote: And so - in all the comparative photos of the eagles, the Silver Boy is on the left, and Raimis is on the right.[/color]
I will add the information to the message with the photo.
I was fooled in to thinking that there were pictures of ALL the main characters of the 2021 season, so far. :rotf:
No wonder I couldn't decide which ones would present the Golden Boy, or Milda. Besides that I was able to spot the Silver Boy safely only from the front pictures. :rolleyes:
Ajeta

Post by Ajeta »

9:21

"Here's looking at you, kid" :mrgreen:

Ajeta

Post by Ajeta »

balistar wrote: May 7th, 2021, 9:47 pm The gray eyebrows of Mr L could be seen well yesterday when he came in soaked wet

[img https://up.picr.de/41142844ng.jpg /img]
I love that picture, balistar! :thumbs: :wave:
Ajeta

Post by Ajeta »

rebelde wrote: May 8th, 2021, 3:22 am Balistar :wave:
rebelde :hi: What do you think - I believe on balistar's third picture Moonshadow looks almost like Sarek, doesn't he? :mrgreen:
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

I started watching the events after Raimis went missing. On March 30, I see familiar eyebrows and hear a familiar voice. There seems to be a combination of feathers on the right wing. Missing a feather on the left wing (or is it fashionable this season?). It seems to me that on March 29, he was also there, but that eagle has a wound on its paw. I didn't notice any wounds on the Silver Boy(?), but I thought about it too late. I need to watch all the videos again. Although I've already watched them twice. At 13:33 on March 31, Milda returns with another eagle. Is it possible? At 17: 15, again the same eagle as at 13: 33. I will look in more detail. :faint:
Ajeta

Post by Ajeta »

balistar wrote: May 8th, 2021, 12:35 pm if we go on spinning it, we could feel confirmed after today's mating attempt, as he dares more than Mr C
You're joking here, balistar, are you? Otherwise I must rush to Mr C's defense: When there are chicks on the nest (soon), the time for mating surely is gone. Mr C would have seemed frivolous had he been seen seeking his own pleasure instead of taking on the responsibility for the little ones. So it was not lack of daring, I'd say, but reliability. :nod:

Return to “White-tailed Eagles”