Latvian WtE nest webcamera Juras-erglis: Discussions

White-tailed eagles in Latvia

Moderator: Moderators

ame

Latvian WtE nest webcamera Juras-erglis: Discussions

Post by ame »

White-tailed sea eagles in Latvia: Juras-Erglis Discussions

This topic is the place to discussing and commenting on all events happening on the Juras-Erglis nest and around the nest. The observation topic is for presenting for documentation of what is seen and heard on the nest and around it. Here you can also, for example, place all your picture-artwork, picture-gifs, collages and picture-series of take-offs and landings here in this topic.

The normal rules of the LK-forum apply here, too. Please post no more than three picture elements (pictures and/or videos) but certainly not more than 5 picture elements in one post. The sizes of picture should not be larger than 800 wide x 600 pixels high. In special, compelling cases larger pictures will be accepted, too.

Camera links:

JWplayer: http://pontu.eenet.ee/player/juras-erglis.html

Ipad and Iphones: http://193.40.133.138/live/juras-erglis/playlist.m3u8

VLC player: rtsp://193.40.133.138/live/juras-erglis

The address to Pontu archive this year is
http://193.40.124.24/2016-juras-erglis/

The Looduskalender link to the WTE camera:
http://www.looduskalender.ee/node/22383

For to find more information about the camera please see the information in the first page of the Documentation topic:
viewtopic.php?p=433889#p433889

Enjoy watching the eagles and discussing their life! :thumbs:
ame

Post by ame »

(reserved for information)
ame

Post by ame »

copied & removed from observations:
Liz01 wrote:please don't forget, that the administrators and moderators do this work without pay, in their spare time.

If we humans have much adrenaline, we feel no pain. This may not be the reason, why Robert sometimes lags and then again appears as Healthy.
On 20 Feb 2016, 08:49 Abigyl wrote:
Liz, hope you saw what I wrote last evening. During one of his visits in the afternoon he was alone on the branc and walked well at first, but a minute later he did another movement and he was limping (at that time he was alone and there was no reason for confusion).

It's Robert.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Abigyl,
I found your post. You're right, at this time it was quite certain Robert. :thumbs:
My confusion began the day before :slap:

Ame, thanks for this Thread. :thumbs:
I hope I'm doing nothing wrong. at the beginning I have to get used, that there are two Threads :laugh:
ame

Post by ame »

copied and removed from Observations:
On 20 Feb 2016, 09:04 Abigyl wrote:Liz,

It's a beautiful picture to save! A nice card for Christmas :thumbs:

His head is covered with snow :mrgreen:

Ame, I saw the new link later. OK :2thumbsup:
ame

Post by ame »

copied and removed from Observations:
my comment to the first Trine's words: there is no reason to shut up.
Trine commented first the post by Liz:
Liz01 wrote: The ornithologists will not find here a lot of information when it is discussed here on many pages, only a feather, or a dirty tail.
One can not find anything more. That was much easier two years ago.
20 Feb 2016, 09:07 Trine wrote:Just a few remarks before I'll shut up.

The ornithologist may well overlook the pages of many too heated discussions - but they at least will know that the situation was not easily-interpretative, and they will act correspondingly. Fight for a nest in a situation where one partner has perhaps perished is scientifically interesting, I dare to think, with potential to give much information about eagle behaviour. It is important to establish as precisely as possible how many individuals are involved (but is not necessarily our ultimate task).
Hopefully this situation will not last long. There will be a settled couple and offspring and life gets easier in our end too.
then Trine's comment to another post by Liz:
Liz01 wrote:There is a lot of work! So I thought it was great, that Ame has clarified this confusion.
20 Feb 2016, 09:07 Trine wrote:It was great! I personally think that Ame got it probably right or almost right. But there must be a right to doubt it! There were many opinions before Ame came, and it is only normal that people want to discuss and share them, particularly when they deviated from Ame's interpretation.
ame

Post by ame »

copied and removed from the Observations:
On 20 Feb 2016, 09:25 Gutha Pertja wrote:Ame, from the shape, sharp ends and symmetry of the "dirt".
I did not know you have to be an expert to report what you seen on this forum and i will not disturb again, but i want you to know that i did not mean to offend or be rude.
ame

Post by ame »

very few here are professional ornithologists and i'm not one myself. i am afraid that there has been so much idle discussion and speculation in the Observation thread so far that it has repelled them away. digging up real information is done more easily in the Pontu archive.

i have not claimed that i'm never wrong nor that i may never be questioned. however, i have requested that if someone thinks that i have made a mistake then this person should present evidence to support the claim, not just write opinions in the forum. presenting and analyzing evidence is the normal practice in science and that we should adopt also in making our observations. then the evidence pro and counter will be discussed. finally evidence decides, not the person(s) who placed it.

this discussion topic is a place where opinions may be presented freely. i do not wish to see again such a mess as was in the observation-topic on last Thursday. all turned out to be a rather simple day, with the resident male and his new bride and two visiting eagles. the posts that day gave the impression that 20 eagles were there, including several adult couples.

the Pontu archive is open for public so everyone can retrieve material from there, both videos and high-quality still pictures. this is the same material that i use, together with videos which i record most of the time. if my recording give me reason to doubt in some cases then i make a new recording of a Pontu video to get the best possible quality. i have described all the methods i use elsewhere, mainly in the Question and Help-topic so anyone can make similar things with the Pontu material as i do. everyone is warmly welcome to do the same observations and documentations as i have done.
Trine

Post by Trine »

ame wrote: all turned out to be a rather simple day, with the resident male and his new bride and two visiting eagles. the posts that day gave the impression that 20 eagles were there, including several adult couples.
Silly, silly us! We are so sorry :bow:

:blush:

Edit: On this notorious Thursday I was thinking: "Ame cannot watch and Liz has no sound, so I'll help". Did not want to do any harm.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

in terms of your EDIT!

Trine, please. You're not meant alone! We were all messed up. We are all addressed to write what we see.
I was so happy because you wrote what you hear.

I do not think that one has to apologize. that would fill the thread here :rotf:
Now we have a thread to discuss everything :laugh:

My English brings me to my limits. It is simply not good enough :bow:
ame

Post by ame »

copied and removed from the Observation topic:
Liz01 wrote: Female and male eagle voices are easily to distinguished.
on 20 Feb 2016, 12:17 IceAge wrote:
Liz, tell me the difference please.
the difference of female and male voices has been explained here many times. the female voice is lower, the tone is lower-pitch. she is like a human alto female singer. this is probably because she is larger than the male is. the male's voice has higher pitch. he is like a tenor.
lispet

Post by lispet »

I am struggling to cope with iPad where the attachment of fotos is not at all that easy than with a laptop. I am rehearsing - meanwhile I want to post my favorite picture from last season 2015

I hope this is ok!
ame

Post by ame »

yes, sure it's ok. well done. :2thumbsup:
that was not a good hair-day. :mrgreen:

btw: if you are training posting pictures and doing other stuff there's a place especially for testing things in the Help -topic, here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=578
ame

Post by ame »

i copied and removed this post from the Observations. aita probably had not noticed yet that we have this new thread. i think that aita's post suites here better than in the Observations.
now this question is open for discussion. :rolleyes:
ame wrote:7:33 the Bride jumped down from the balcony and tried to do some nestwork. Robert came closer to see better what she was doing but did not come down to help her. then the Bride went to the right branch, out of the view.

edit: sorry, i made a mistake earlier. Bride got up to left balcony and Robert down to nest. he then went to the right branch, and the Bride remained in sight.
On 21 Feb 2016, 01:16 aita wrote: :hi:
picture and video is deliberately left.
Ame, I do not have the same opinion with you. I am sure 100% +. This eagle that flew to the right branch, is NOT ROBERT.
1. few tail feathers have a dark ends.
2. from the beak to towards the nape, there is a wide and a dark stripe. This eagle is younger than Robert. (After moulting, head feathers will not change darker, but lighter.)

Another eagle. whether it is Robert? I doubt. Robert's breast feathers are much lighter, even such a light. think it is also - NOT ROBERT

There was a nice moment. This eagle is a magician :rolleyes: . it has pockets, sure :mrgreen: what he holds between claws.
it is on ame's video 2.44
ame

Post by ame »

aita, thank you for your post!
especially i liked the pocket video. :laugh:

to me the eagle who went up to the balcony still looks like Robert.

and the one looks like the Bride.

i made a slow-motion close-up of this change.

the eagle who i think was the Bride here was sleeping on the branch when the camera started. it had probably slept there all night. and the other (who i think is Robert) came in and woke the first eagle up at 7:08. they sang a long morning song together. then they stayed at the nest on branches till 8:16 when they sang a long song again. the eagle who i think was Robert limped a little and left at 8:17. the other eagle (who i think was the Bride) took off at 8:21. all this time they spent at the nest in total harmony. - besides it is the left fist which the eagle hides in the pocket. it also lets the left foot hang down. i think it did so because it's sore (Robert again).

it is difficult for me to think that the Bride would let someone else than Robert stay with her at the nest. she just once kicked even Robert out. if that eagle was not Robert then both these eagles had to be some other couple, which is too unlikely, too (in my opinion). but i don't know... what do you think?
aita

Post by aita »

ame wrote:i copied and removed this post from the Observations. aita probably had not noticed yet that we have this new thread. i think that aita's post suites here better than in the Observations.
now this question is open for discussion. :rolleyes:

On 21 Feb 2016, 01:16 aita wrote: :hi
Ame, I do not have the same opinion with you. I am sure 100% +. This eagle that flew to the right branch, is NOT ROBERT.
1. few tail feathers have a dark ends.
2. from the beak to towards the nape, there is a wide and a dark stripe. This eagle is younger than Robert. (After moulting, head feathers will not change darker, but lighter.)
................/quote]
This was a observation.

I knew that the Observations and Discussions.
Now the discussion.
In the nest is nothing clear yet, but the forum. everyone is pushed away, who dared to come. :mrgreen:
:wave:
ame

Post by ame »

copied and removed from Observations-topic:
21 Feb 2016, 09:03 asteria wrote:In fact Durbe hasn't return in this nest since last year ringing, hasn't she? I think she must be alive but left the nest because it is not safe for her. Anyway Bride/Novia is a nice girl too(and the branch in front of cam view isn't)
ame

Post by ame »

copied and removed from the Observations-topic.
ame wrote: yesterday i found two more episodes in the morning of Feb 18th. i squeezed in in the post where i had other videos from that same morning. now they are in time order with the others.
viewtopic.php?p=441459#p441459
21 Feb 2016, 09:08 Trine wrote:That is great. Btw we noticed and documented both of these events in real time. There are even photos.
I noticed that they were missing in your series but I thought you omitted them deliberatly becuse they're so short.
Not sure if I should post it in discussion? It's just a remark, not a discussion.
i think that this remark is better suited here so i moved it here.

i simply missed these episodes in the evening when i was making the Pontu clips. they were actually very difficult to find in the long Pontu video, just because they were short.
Trine

Post by Trine »

ame wrote:i simply missed these episodes in the evening when i was making the Pontu clips. they were actually very difficult to find in the long Pontu video, just because they were short.
Yes, understandble. But then again the forum users are asked to write down what they notice, including the precise time. I thought the idea was among other things make the events easier to find in the long Pontu videos.
ame

Post by ame »

yeah, you are right. but still it was not easy. especially the latter. i saw also two Pontu pictures of this episode so i knew it was not only few seconds long but still i had to reel the video back and forth before i found it. it ain't always so easy. :slap:

Return to “White-tailed Eagles”