Estonian Environmental Award 2016

White-tailed eagles in Latvia

Moderator: Moderators

Jo UK
Site Admin

Estonian Environmental Award 2016

Post by Jo UK »

ESTONIAN ENVIRONMENTAL AWARD

This year the nest cameras have been submitted as one of the candidates for the Environmental Award of the Year in Estonia and Kotkaklubi deserves all our votes to support this entry.

The Environmental Award of the Year competition, organised by the Ministry of the Environment, is a competition the aim of which is to recognise individuals and institutions/enterprises that care about our environment and make sure that others do as well.
~http://www.keskkonnatunnustused.ee/en
(the /en should be deleted to get any more relevant information from the official page, however it is all in Estonian.)

Everyone can vote (including people who are not Estonian citizens), however, as far as I can see the voting page is written in Estonian only.
The voting page is here (the submission is called 'Projekt "Pesakaamerad" ' on that page):
http://maaleht.delfi.ee/news/maaleht/ke ... d=76542382

Nest webcamera(s) project - Non-Profit-Organization Kotkaklubi

The aim of the project is to stop the human alienation from nature and to encourage understanding and caring for the nature through (emotional?) knowledge and inclusion. Thanks to the webcameras, millions of people all over the world are able to be "included" in the nest life of many rare and endangered species such as eagles and black storks. Simply the White-Tailed Eagle webcamera in 2016 alone received over 10 million views. In addition, thousands of active members on the forums (it did not explicitly say Looduskalender, however) were able to discuss and observe the nest life in real time. The cameras also allow people with certain disabilities to seemingly be in places where they may not necessarily be able to go in person.
The project includes journalism, social media and forums, through which viewers are encouraged and directed to collect useful information from the cameras, and to share their findings with others. The data that is collected from these cameras have a great impact on the species' protection policies and on ethnology(I am not entirely sure they meant this science in its "normal" meaning).

With many thanks to Jürgen for this information and explanation.

I have voted so we know that votes from countries outside Estonia are valid.

Please vote - our much-loved Kotkaklubi is worthy of all the support we can give it.
Chimega

Post by Chimega »

Voted! Good luck to Kotkaklubi! :2thumbsup:
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
Rita

Post by Rita »

Voted as well. Good luck.
sigge

Post by sigge »

Voted :wave: Kotkaklubi currently at 4th place on 8%
Solo

Post by Solo »

Voted! Good luck to Kotkaklubi! :thumbs:
ame

Post by ame »

i also helped my husband to vote today. :mrgreen:
he is is interested in all kinds of votings if there is an opportunity to win something. :whistling:
btw: what is the prize to win among the voters? anyone who understands Estonian? :help:
Trine

Post by Trine »

ame wrote:btw: what is the prize to win among the voters? anyone who understands Estonian? :help:
"A small Christmassy present", no further specification :whistling:
I hope and wish your husband will win and tell us all what it was :laugh:
lianaliesma

Post by lianaliesma »

ame wrote:i also helped my husband to vote today. :mrgreen:
he is is interested in all kinds of votings if there is an opportunity to win something. :whistling:
btw: what is the prize to win among the voters? anyone who understands Estonian? :help:

Aasta Keskkonnategu
http://www.keskkonnategu.ee/
Konkursi võitjat ootab 5000 euro suurune preemia ja keskkonnamärgise kasutusõigus. Tutvu konkursi reeglite ja auhindadega ning esita ankeet siit.

I suppose the winner wins prize of € 5,000 :thumbs:
We are living in a dangerous age. Human beings dominate nature, before they have learned to control themselves. -Albert Schweitzer
I have been studying the traits and dispositions of the so-called "lower animals" versus the traits and dispositions of man. The result humiliates me. - Mark Twain
Trine

Post by Trine »

Yes, 5000 euros is for the winner of the competition. This is not for the voters.
lianaliesma

Post by lianaliesma »

Wow! Is there such a thing also? Prise for the voters? :puzzled:
We are living in a dangerous age. Human beings dominate nature, before they have learned to control themselves. -Albert Schweitzer
I have been studying the traits and dispositions of the so-called "lower animals" versus the traits and dispositions of man. The result humiliates me. - Mark Twain
Trine

Post by Trine »

lianaliesma wrote:Wow! Is there such a thing also? Prise for the voters? :puzzled:
Yes. As a small additional motivation to vote. One lucky voter gets a small present, as they say. To apply, you should indicate your name and e-mail address.
lianaliesma

Post by lianaliesma »

Trine, thank you. :hi:
Kuutar

Post by Kuutar »

:hi: Prizes of this year

(Google translator :dunno: )

PRIZES

The winners will be officially announced during January at the awards event.

Year Competition in the Environmental identifies one overall winner. The competition will be given the following prizes:

the overall winner of the grand prize in the amount of 5,000 EUR cash award ;
the overall winner, given the environmental label usage right ;
according to the assessment of the letter can be recognized thanks to the other candidates.

ENVIRONMENTAL use of the mark

Contest winners are entitled to use the Environmental Ministry of the Environment characters with a stylized image of õunapuuõie it the text "In the Environmental Award"

Environmental license plate is designed to:

recognize the environmental sector performed outstanding deeds or initiatives;
to support the organization's environmental achievements;
offer the benefits of competition;
increase consumer confidence in the product / service quality.
The competition winners will have the right to use the eco-label of your letterhead, publications and products / services advertising. Characters can be used without limitation in time, but on the condition that the mark is used to mark the year of the number.

Original /Estonian

http://www.keskkonnategu.ee/auhinnad

:wave:
juta
Site Admin

Post by juta »

The Winner of Estonian Environmental Award 2016 will be announced next Thursday.
There were 4136 voters in all.
Proud member of SHoW (StorkaHolics of the World)
Chimega

Post by Chimega »

juta wrote:The Winner of Estonian Environmental Award 2016 will be announced next Thursday.
There were 4136 voters in all.
Thank you, juta! :wave:
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
Trine

Post by Trine »

The winner was the project that restored the wooded meadows at Matsalu.
The nest cam project was among the four other projects that were also acknowledged.
Congrats to the winners!

This information comes from the webpage of the Ministry of the Environment. Only in Estonian for now, I´m afraid. But surely the news will spread.
ame

Post by ame »

congratulations to the winner and other acknowledged projects! :thumbs:

the winner was also leading the voting all the time as far as i could see. every time i looked it had about 28 % of the votes (give or take a few %-units). the Eagle club's nest camera project was the second all the time. it had about half of the amount of votes that the leader had, i.e. about 14 %. well done! :laugh:

edit: from the newsletter 20/01/2017of the Estonian Ornithological Society by Riho Kinks:
Aasta Keskkonnategu 2016
Eile Tallinnas toimunud piduõhtul kuulutas keskkonnaministeerium välja eelmise aasta keskkonnateo. Üldvõidu pälvis sel korral Läänemaalt pärit õpetaja Peeter Hermik, kes on Matsalu rahvuspargi alal talguliste abiga taastanud ligi kümne hektari jagu puisniite. Peeter Hermiku keskkonnategu võitis ülekaalukalt ka rahvahääletuse. Aasta Keskkonnateo auhinnaks on 5000 eurone preemia, lisaks õigus kasutada keskkonnamärgist. Peale peapreemia jagati ka tunnustusi, millest ühe sai Kotkaklubi ja Eesti Ornitoloogiaühingu koostöös lindude pesaelu miljonite vaatajateni toovad pesakaamerad. Aasta Keskkonnateo konkursi eesmärk on tunnustada neid, kes on oma tegude ja ettevõtmistega viimase 12 kuu jooksul kõige enam panustanud keskkonna heaks. Konkurssi korraldab Keskkonnaministeerium alates 2004. aastast. Eesti Ornitoloogiaühing on konkursil osalenud alates 2012. aastast ning on kolmel aastal pälvinud Aasta Keskkonnateo tiitli.
(GoogleTranslation reinterpreted):
The Environmental Act in 2016

Yesterday in Tallinn at the Gala evening announced the Ministry of Environment the Environmental Act of the previous year 2016. The prize was awarded this time to a teacher from the western land Peter Hermik who restored in Matsalu National Park about ten hectares of wooded section with the help of talguliste (=voluntary helpers). Peter Hermiku won overwhelmingly in a referendum for environmental act. Year of the Environmental prize is 5,000 euro, in addition to the right to use the Environmental Label. In addition to the main prize a few acknowledgements were awarded, one of which was given to the Eagle Club and the Estonian Ornithological Society for bringing the nest lives of birds to an audience of millions in a nest camera collaboration. The Environmental Year competition is designed to recognize those whose actions and projects in the last 12 months contributed the most to protect the environment. Competition is organized by the Ministry of Environment since 2004. Estonian Ornithological Society has participated in the competition since 2012, and in three years has earned the Environmental Year title.

the winner Peter Hermik.
Image Photo: Jake Farra

i hope i haven't made many mistakes above. maybe someone who understands Estonian well could check and correct my interpretation? :help:
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

ame, thank you for posting this very good news. So our Eagle Club came second - an honourable position :bow:
vainamoinen

Post by vainamoinen »

ame wrote:
i hope i haven't made many mistakes above. maybe someone who understands Estonian well could check and correct my interpretation? :help:
I'm not Estonian but I know language a little bit. I think the translation is good. Only one important remark. "puisniit" - this is not a "wooded section". "niit" is meadow in Estonian, so this means something like "wooded meadows"
Trine

Post by Trine »

The news is now also at Looduskalender.ee. So far only in Estonian, but hopefully translations will follow.

Vainamoinen is right about the wooded meadows, and the correct name of the winner is Peeter Hermik (not Peter).
Läänemaa is a county (Lääne County), not to be translated as "western land".

Return to “White-tailed Eagles”