Latvian WtE nest webcamera Juras-erglis Durbe 2020

White-tailed eagles in Latvia

Moderator: Moderators

Liz01

Re: Latvian WtE nest webcamera Juras-erglis Durbe 2020

Post by Liz01 »

ame what you have read is true. I saw a film about the Müritzer Lake district. Fisherman and white tailed eagles know each other. The white tailed eagles fly to the boat to collect fish from the fisherman. It was filmed.

I also did pictures from the eagle 9:55

a part of his tail marks

ame

Post by ame »

i found the post where i quoted what i had read in Fischer's book!
viewtopic.php?p=360436#p360436
ame wrote: February 14th, 2015, 11:31 am ...
maybe the new generation of eagles isn't so timid and afraid of humans as the older ones? besides i've read in a book by Wolfgang Fischer (Die Seeadler, 1959) that eagles in the old time got used to local country people and weren't afraid of them if they didn't disturb them. that was in the times when people weren't persecuting eagles for killing rewards.

Fischer writes (p. 72) about a farmer who had cattle herder's hut at a distance of about 15 - 20 meters from an eagles' nest tree. the local herder never interrupted the eagles who however left the nest when any stranger came near. when Fischer asked the herder if he could move his hut somewhere else the herder replied: "Ach, die Adler kenne ich schon seit 20 Jahren, und die?, die kennen mich auch!" (oh, i have known the eagles for 20 years, and they know me, too!) :laugh:
i have two editions of Fischer's book. the other is a 4th edition from year 1984. although the title is the same the two books are rather different. the newer edition is also larger than the earlier. Fischer has practically rewritten the whole thing. for example the above passage is missing from the latter edition.

Liz, what were the books or articles that you have reading recently? :hi:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

ame wrote: January 22nd, 2020, 1:26 pm i found the post where i quoted what i had read in Fischer's book!
Liz, what were the books or articles that you have reading recently? :hi:
ame, yes, I've the 3rd edition from 1981

I found this 6rd edition :puzzled: English Version :laugh:
The title and picture are exactly the same as for the 3rd edition
https://www.nhbs.com/die-seeadler-white ... eagle-book
ame

Post by ame »

the sample pages are in German... :puzzled:
it's in German. :faint:
i already jumped in my chair. i was just looking if there were a translated version of it.

i think that the 1981 edition is the first rewritten (renewed) edition.

the nest looked suddenly different but it was only the wind which rearranged the hay on the nest.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

I have no hope to see Milda again. I think she is no longer alive. Whatever the reason .. shot by a hunter, poisoned by hunting remains, car collision, fight for the nest ....
Raimis behaved like Robert. He came to the nest a few times. Now he has given up.
Strange eagles can come to the nest unhindered. so Raimis & Milda are no longer in the area.
ame

Post by ame »

yes, it does not look good... :puzzled:
but the evening colours are beautiful.

16:57:20 footsteps from the ground. i could not see anyone.
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

Today's guest came from the fish market.
I 'm embarrassed by one moment. He's flying,

he's missing, and in a second he's here.

Maybe there was a second bird?
sova

Post by sova »

Good evening

Sonchik, thanks for clarification.

Milda was still not there ... please, not the second Durbe. :unsure:
I still hope ....
handbyl

Post by handbyl »

Liz01 wrote: January 22nd, 2020, 4:36 pm .. shot by a hunter, poisoned by hunting remains ...
Are both a big problem in Latvia? Horrible if true.

We have not seen a huge amount of adult eagle interest here, so perhaps losing a bad fight is the least likely cause of Milda's disappearance.

Sad days....
ame

Post by ame »

Sonchik wrote: January 22nd, 2020, 6:46 pm Today 's guest came from the fish market.
I 'm embarrassed by one moment. He's flying,

[IMG http://images.vfl.ru/ii/1579711296/7909fe1f/29288985_m.jpg /IMG]

he's missing, and in a second he's here.

[IMG http://images.vfl.ru/ii/1579711296/a9ea5c48/29288986_m.jpg /IMG]

Maybe there was a second bird?

[youtube]buD42TWqWKE /youtube]
i don't think so. the bird was so far and the picture was unclear. it often happens like this. sometimes the opposite happens: one bird is shown as many spots in a line in one picture.
just as like in your video: many times this bird was shown as a line of dots.

i'm not certain that this was a strange bird. it could have been Raimis, too. or Milda.

19:34 a male and female tawny owl talked.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

handbyl wrote: January 22nd, 2020, 8:54 pm Are both a big problem in Latvia? Horrible if true.

We have not seen a huge amount of adult eagle interest here, so perhaps losing a bad fight is the least likely cause of Milda's disappearance.

Sad days....
That a hunter shoots an eagle it not a Latvian problem. It happens everywhere.

Hunters around the world still use lead. There are alternatives, but the hunters are traditional and prefer to poison humans, animals and the environment with the toxic stuff. Buckshot spread far into the meat and entrails. The hunters leave the entrails it behind. Wild animals find it and eat it. This does not only affect eagles. But only eagles are very sensitive to the lead.
handbyl

Post by handbyl »

Liz01 wrote: January 22nd, 2020, 10:34 pm That a hunter shoots an eagle it not a Latvian problem. It happens everywhere.

Hunters around the world still use lead. There are alternatives, but the hunters are traditional and prefer to poison humans, animals and the environment with the toxic stuff. Buckshot spread far into the meat and entrails. The hunters leave the entrails it behind. Wild animals find it and eat it. This does not only affect eagles. But only eagles are very sensitive to the lead.
Thanks for the info - I see what you mean - not carcass poisoning which is what I feared. Indeed, lead shot is a problem - in fishing too where also there are alternatives.

The shooting bit is true, it does happen everywhere. Though in the UK it does attract major news outlets when uncovered.
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

ame wrote: January 22nd, 2020, 8:57 pm i don't think so. the bird was so far and the picture was unclear. it often happens like this. sometimes the opposite happens: one bird is shown as many spots in a line in one picture.
just as like in your video: many times this bird was shown as a line of dots.
Thanks to Ame! I think you're right.
i'm not certain that this was a strange bird. it could have been Raimis, too. or Milda.
The DDF believes it was a young eagle for 4-5 years.

------------------------------------------

Liz, I want to be as sure as you are that Milda's fright isn't the reason for her absence.
It would be unbearable to realize that because of the camera (which only people need), the eagles will leave the nest.
But how much I don't read, everything only confirms my version.
On Milda 's first day of absence, Janis was in the woods. He made noise preparing trees for solar panels.
The hunters didn't go on vacation either, unfortunately.
And finally the view of the man on the nest (almost). I'd panic if I were Milda. In such a troubled place, children should not be raised.
After the fall of Vilnis, in the first days, only Raimis came to the nest. (Janis came to the forest to look for Vilnis.)
Milda's particular timidity is discussed here. Were there any other precedents?
Everyone remembers when Milda threw eggs for two hours, presumably after seeing people on the ground.
Imagine her horror when she saw a "monster" in her nest!
Who can know how she will react?
Janis himself always said that eagles are very shy and it is very risky to come to the forest during the day.
I think about it for a few days and feel worse about it.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

January 23

Good Morning :hi:

Thank you all for your great work. :2thumbsup:

7:18 A animal is crying like a cat. I know these screams, I cannot assign them at the moment :bow: EDIT: OK it was a marten :mrgreen:

Sonchik, I watch eagles in the wilderness on the Baltic Sea. If they saw me, they flew away immediately. But they came back after a few hours.
You have to know that they see humans long before humans can see them.

Milda has seen many people in the area.Hunters, walkers with dogs ect ....
It is important to them that there is no disturbance during the breeding.

I'm still sure something happened to her. To be honest, I'm pretty unhappy. I was really looking forward to a third season.
they have changed from year to year. They became more and more confident in what they do. It was a great chance to see how the young, inexperienced parents became a great couple.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

7:46 a dog is calling loud
7:47 the dog is still calling

BTW, we often hear dogs, but it can also be a marten. I'm just looking for his voice and thought there was only a dog barking here. No, it's a pine marten:
https://www.tierstimmenarchiv.de/

similar to the morning voice?
https://www.tierstimmenarchiv.de/
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

Good morning!
Liz01 wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 7:34 am ...
I'm still sure something happened to her. To be honest, I'm pretty unhappy. I was really looking forward to a third season.
they have changed from year to year. They became more and more confident in what they do. It was a great chance to see how the young, inexperienced parents became a great couple.
If something happened to Milda, it's unlikely Raimis knows about it. Why doesn't he wait for her for hours in the nest like he used to?
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Sonchik wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 7:59 am ...............
If something happened to Milda, it's unlikely Raimis knows about it. Why doesn't he wait for her for hours in the nest like he used to?
There is still the possibility that Milda has decided not to breed this year. We expect a brood every year, but it is not a matter of course that they do.
Unfortunately, it is not described whether they will stay on the nest if they are not brooding.

EDIT: It is at least described that the females prevents mating, when they doesn't want. During the courtship flight she "turns away"
Abigyl

Post by Abigyl »

Good Morning!

Weather looks nicer. Will this bring better news??

I won't stand another 2016-2017 :slap:

I'll accept a change only if it'll come with a ring :mrgreen:
asteria

Post by asteria »

Remember Linda&Sulev nest in 2011-2012. When they left the nest and did not breed. The nest was occupied by a stupid mallard, a stranger WTE who ate her eggs, then a couple of buzzards but the hosts left it for some reason.
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

asteria wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 9:02 am Remember Linda&Sulev nest in 2011-2012. When they left the nest and did not breed.
Are they unlikely to have been building for three months before that?

Are these swans screaming all the time or do I think? :puzzled:

Return to “White-tailed Eagles”