More News About Veterinary Care

The Work of Looduskalender, Kotkaklubi and Wildlife Veterinary Care
Jo UK
Site Admin

More News About Veterinary Care

Post by Jo UK »

MORE NEWS ABOUT VETERINARY CARE, of a White Tailed Sea Eagle which has been in Dr. Madis' care. It will be ringed, fitted with a transmitter and released on Friday 7th September. Eagle Club Kotkaklubi members are keen to track this WTE to discover how a released bird fares in the wild, after a period of treatment and rehabilitation.

http://www.metsloom.ee/en/uudised-rus/1 ... odusesse-2

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Estonian ... 7004421563

http://www.metsloom.ee/en
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

Dr. Madis has written about the White-tailed Eagle in his blog and today (Friday, Sept. 7) the eagle was released in Emajõe-Suursoo nature reserve, Tartu county.

A few pictures and a short film you can find here:
http://www.tartupostimees.ee/965116/tar ... c.facebook

Maybe Dr. Madis and/or Urmas will write shortly here too, the eagle was fitted with a transmitter and got a ring (Number 10-0034 - I hope it is correct, because the headline says 12-0034).
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Dr. Madis, there is a report in a German TV program
http://www.wdr.de/tv/quarks/sendungsbei ... voegel.jsp
about birds having magnetic receptors in their beaks.
Thinking of the black stork which you treated for many weeks, how is a bird's migration ability affected by beak injuries? We know that Lenny could not have survived, but there have been reports of other birds with beak injuries having been fitted with prosthetic beaks.
Can you comment on the likely accuracy of this report? Does it have implications for future treatments of beak injuries?
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

In May 2013 I was travelling in Estonia and while being in Tartu I had the chance to accompany Urmas when he picked up an injured White-tailed Eagle to be taken for examination and treatment by expert veterinarian Madis Leivits at the Veterinarian clinic of the Estonian University of Life Sciences Tartu.
The eagle is a female ringed in 1999 in western Latvia. Kotkaklubi members have observed her over the past few years and a photo of the eagle lady is presented in the Eagle photo exhibition within the project "Eagles cross borders" ( http://www.looduskalender.ee/en/node/11370 )

Here is a photo I took of the picture at the exhibition in Valga:

The eagle was thoroughly examined and it emerged that the eagle must have collided with the blade of a wind turbine at the Aulepa wind power farm in Noarootsi parish, where she was observed and later caught, which cut off parts of the primaries of the left wing together with the digit bones (wing tip bones), and that the injury had occurred about a week ago.
Article about it at the Looduskalender website: http://www.looduskalender.ee/en/node/16867

I got permission from Dr. Madis and Urmas to show some of the photos I took during the examination:

“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

Felis silvestris
Site Admin

The injured wing:

A very patient patient:

Looking at the talons:

The tail:

Felis silvestris
Site Admin

For the x-ray the eagle has to sleep:

Preparing for the x-ray:

After the x-ray some liquids and medicaments are given:

Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Studying the x-ray:

The x-ray photo of the injured wing (with thanks to Urmas)

Lab work

Felis silvestris
Site Admin

I have asked Urmas how the eagle lady (who has got no name yet) is doing at the moment. She is still in care of Madis at the clinic, and according to them she is "the most peaceful and cooperative WtE individual in clinic up to now". There is no place yet for her, but they are looking for a suitable place and have also got offers. Right now treatment is not yet finished and no decisions have been taken.

Juta found a video in which some reporters ask Madis about the eagle and he demonstrates that she can't fly anymore:

http://www.tv3play.ee/play/312317/?autostart=true

This is for the moment all I can report about the eagle lady and her fate. About her mate and the eaglets I have not heard anything.

Fleur

Post by Fleur »

thank you for the pictures and the explanation Felis, Urmas, and dr.Madis.
I hope they can find for further recovery a good place
This lady is worth it to fly again :thumbs:
Janne+Ais

Post by Janne+Ais »

Thank you again for this report! I watched the video but - of course - I don't understand any single word. Can you (or someone else) give a summarise about what Dr. Madis explains? Is there really no hope at all, that the brave eagle-lady will ever fly again?
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Unfortunately I also don't speak Estonian, my vocabulary maybe doubled now to two dozen words except the various bird names. But I think Dr. Madis explains the injury and how it happened and demonstrates that the unfortunate eagle lady will not fly again. If you look at the x-ray you see too much is missing. You have to imagine it is a hand with fingers and the fingers after the thumb are all cut off, including the feathers and all!

Janne+Ais

Post by Janne+Ais »

Thank you for the explanation, Felis. Anyway, the lady tries to fly. Sad to see, how she crashes into the wall. I will not give up the hope, that a miracle can happen. Confirmed optimist as I am.
Does no one knows, what happened to the rest of the family?
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

I have no news about them and since at the moment the KK men must be all very busy with field work, I don't want to disturb them. I am sure if there is something new, good or bad, we will get information. What I get to know I will post here!

I have found a video showing an animation of a WTE in flight and if you look closely, the wing of the Latvian lady misses too many vital parts.

http://www.jonas-laustroeer.de/animation/adler/

The copyright for this video is with Jonas Lauströer (http://www.jonas-laustroeer.de/animation/)

Janne+Ais

Post by Janne+Ais »

Thank you, Felis, for the link to that video. It is interesting and - in my opinion - a bit black humour. But one can imagine, that and why our brave eagle-lady will not fly anymore.
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Black humour or not, it shows how a bird flies. But I have found another picture of a bird's wing anatomy and if you compare it with the x-ray, you see how much of the wing is actually missing:

Picture taken from: http://www.lilycli.com/images/illustrat ... ilycli.jpg

Janne+Ais

Post by Janne+Ais »

Yes, thank you Felis. It's half of the "hand". So sad!
Are there any news about the brave eagle-lady?
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Yes, Dr. Madis explained that it is from thumb down all fingers!

No, I have no news at the moment. I suppose the eagle has to heal and get well and they have to find a way to keep her under human conditions and have the necessary permissions from authorities. This all takes time and as far as I know Urmas is abroad at the moment.

Felis silvestris
Site Admin

I could ask Urmas about the eagle and the eaglets in the nest. The eagle lady is still with Dr. Madis and heals and is peaceful. She is not stressed and they have made a perch for her. Renno visited the nest a week ago and the eaglets are doing well too. One was already standing at the rim of the nest and they expect them to fledge.

Manu

Post by Manu »

Felis, thank you so much for telling us the news about the eagle-lady and her family. It's good to here she isn't stressed so much. And how nice to hear the eaglets are well and almost ready to fledge :loveshower: .
Janne+Ais

Post by Janne+Ais »

O what wonderful news! Thank you! So daddy manages it all alone?! What a big relief! The eaglets are not ringed, are they? Are there any plans for the future of the brave lady? She is an extraordinary animal with an extraordinary destiny. I think, she feels, that her children are ok. Now she waits, what life will bring. Maybe she will be some kind of eagle-ambassador (conservation of wild birds directive)?

Return to “About Us”