Black Stork Nest in Karula - 2016

Cameras Watching over Black Storks nest
Lussi05

Re: Black Stork Nest in Karula - 2016

Post by Lussi05 »

Lucy wrote: If someone would like to watch the entire farewell visit of Karl, here's the video ]
Good morning :hi:
To me it looked like a closure. Karl arrived, he replaced a stick, picked a little on the nest ground, cleaned his feathers for a long time, made his mark and left. Right before he took of, he even ruffled his feathers for a second. It was very nice to see his (last) visit - Thank you Lucy :wave:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Karl was here to say good bye. :loveshower:
Thank you Lucy. I'm happy, that you have documented it. :bow:
The video I can see, when I'm home again. In three weeks :slap:
Lucy

Post by Lucy »

Lussi, Liz :D

Liz, I wish you a pleasant holiday and a good rest. :wave:
Urmas

Post by Urmas »

Yesterday, 8th of August Karl started to migrate. By the evening he was in Russia, south of Pskov. So he moved eastward. Migration map is not updated, but in few days there will be launched autumn 2016 migration page.
Last visit of Karl to the nest was really a "good bye event"!

For next year we plan to install the camera on the same nest, but with new type of camera like at Osprey and Sea Eagle nest it was already. Think we can do that with help of your donations you have made during current season.

On behalf of Eagle Club I would thank all donators very much!
That helps us a lot to develop camera systems and to show you better quality stream.

For next season, if you decide it to be interesting - we can install a transmitter on juvenile storks in camera nest. But for that some fund rising is needed - one transmitter is about 1000€...
juta
Site Admin

Post by juta »

Thank you Urmas!
Proud member of SHoW (StorkaHolics of the World)
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

Thank you, Urmas for this update from Karl and the informations about the nest and cam equipment. :thumbs:
I wish a safe and good migration for Karl. :nod:
The nature needs us not, but we need the nature
Sipe

Post by Sipe »

Thank you Urmas also from me for your info you gave, as well thank to whole team! :hi:
It has been very interesting to watch all these LK cameras, pity that season will end :cry:

All the best for the whole stork family, hope we´ll see you again!
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

On Wednesday 6th August I was in Karula National Park, fairly close to Karl's area. I believe I saw him but was too distant to identify him I saw a black stork flying over the trees. I was near a fish farm.

I am so pleased that I may have seen him before he left :loveshower:
Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

Jo UK wrote:On Wednesday 6th August I was in Karula National Park, fairly close to Karl's area. I believe I saw him but was too distant to identify him I saw a black stork flying over the trees. I was near a fish farm.

Jo, what a great experience, lucky you. Both for for being in Karula National Park, and for seeing the blackstork (maybe Karl:) :loveshower:

Urmas, thank you so much for the information about Karl and the nest and equipment.
I wish Karl a safe and nice migration.
Summi

Post by Summi »

Urmas, thank you. It's great that we can watch Karl's migration soon. Hope all the four choose best and safe routes to reach their wintering grounds.
Jo, I'm glad that you met 'our' beloved Karl 'in person' :thumbs:
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

Jo UK wrote:On Wednesday 6th August I was in Karula National Park, fairly close to Karl's area. I believe I saw him but was too distant to identify him I saw a black stork flying over the trees. I was near a fish farm.

Jo, were you on vacation in estonia or you still there, then I wish you a beautiful time! :wave:
The nature needs us not, but we need the nature
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Birdfriend, yes I was on holiday in Estonia from August 1 to August 8. I was able to see much more of Estonia, this visit. All the way to the south,, around Tallinn, then to Kasmu in the rain!
I had fewer mosquito bites on this visit too.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Urmas, thank you for the information about Karl. Good to see where Karl will fly. So a transmitter is really great! :2thumbsup:
I hope there are enough donations, so that in the next year maybe a pair of siblings ca be fitted with transmitters. it would be interesting to see, whether they fly together, or separate.

Jo, you were in Estonia and have probably seen Karl. What a great fortune. :loveshower:
Did you give Karl greetings of us, and wished a good flight and a safe return to estonia in the next year? :laugh:
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Liz01, of course I gave him everyone's greetings and good wishes. We had a long conversation, in a remote kind of way :headroll:

About a transmitter for a young bird, next year - we have to wait and see which adults produce young. and which will be suitable for this new project. Maybe it will be for a black stork. Maybe for an eagle. We don't know yet what a new season will bring.
Later in the year we shall be coming around with the collection bowl to ask for donations for the transmitter.

More details when they become available.
Abigyl

Post by Abigyl »

Thanks Urmas for an interesting season and for your explanation an data about Karl. :bow:

We can see him moving fast and is already at the center of Belarus, while the 2 other BS are still on their areas.

I wish him a safe and easy migration and hope to see him again at the nest next season :thumbs:
noli

Post by noli »

Hello all :hi:

Karl is in Romania already! :2thumbsup:
aquiline

Post by aquiline »

:loveshower:
The distances birds fly are always impressing. Small singing birds as well as big ones like storks. They deserve our respect :thumbs:
Bea

Post by Bea »

18. August

15:23
A squirrel on a short visit

Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
Summi

Post by Summi »

Thank you, Bea :hi:
Beautiful pics of the nest inspector checking the nest and closing the season :loveshower:
See you all next season :wave:
Taube

Post by Taube »

good morning :hi:

thank you for Information and Pictures :loveshower:

Return to “Black Stork Camera Forum”