Golden Eagle Webcam Forum

A webcam on a Golden Eagle Nest in Soomaa region
Forum rules
Welcome to this new webcam on a Golden Eagle nest in Soomaa.

We want to be as relaxed as possible, and help members to enjoy this forum. While having regard to the forum wide rules about picture size (800x600)and number of pics/videos per post(3) please post as much as you want. Try to banish the "double post" restriction. If you have prepared pictures, videos and text, please, please, post it. Your post is really wanted here. Please do not delete or withold your post just because another member has posted something similar before you. This forum is no place for a competiton about who posts first. All members are equal.

On other forums within Looduskalender, where there is one specified moderator, please respect the rules posted by that moderator as before.
This Golden Eagle forum will not have only one Moderator - as a team, we shall all do what is needed. There will not be separate Obsevation/Discussion topics.
Gunnar

Re: Golden Eagle Webcam Forum

Post by Gunnar »

lianaliesma wrote:
Could you please tell us from what place in the central part of Estonia comes the mother?
And - if those photos are from last year, does it mean that they have both brought up an eaglet last year, Estonian eagle-girl and Latvian eagle-boy? Does it fledge?
As Triin already answered - from webcam nest fledge last year one juvenile. Same was 2016 and 2015. This particular pair last years productivity was one of the main reasons to decide where to put GE webcam in Estonia. So lets hope that the adults will not decide to take a brake year what they definitely deserve! Through the last ten years we didn't confirmed in Estonia any cases where from one nest could fledge two youngs. In all those cases older chick killed younger one.

Female have born approximately 60 km far from webcam nest (Paide city surroundings bogs)
Cessie

Post by Cessie »

Gunnar, when should we expect to see nest activity and egg?
Gunnar

Post by Gunnar »

Cessie wrote:Gunnar, when should we expect to see nest activity and egg?
According the datas from the trailcam study I can say that in our latitude here in Estonia first egg laying date median is 21. of March (8. March-5.April). Nest activity (decorating) varies by pairs. Some pairs start to decorate their nests already January if laziests start to think about this last part of February. But roughly - most pair decorate their occpied nests mid February.
Biker

Post by Biker »

Gunnar, thank you for sharing your very interesting informations here.
*Please don't feed the trolls!*
Bea

Post by Bea »

Gunnar and Triin - thanks for your first-hand infos, they are very appreciated :shake:

I wondered that both Golden Eagles showed no sign of suspicion about the camera equipment, but when there was already a trail cam in previous years then they are probably already used to the fact there is some kind of "box" not far from the nest.
As far as I interpret their behaviour they see and know that there is "something", but don´t behave disturbed ...
Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
Gunnar

Post by Gunnar »

Bea wrote: I wondered that both Golden Eagles showed no sign of suspicion about the camera equipment, but when there was already a trail cam in previous years then they are probably already used to the fact there is some kind of "box" not far from the nest.
As far as I interpret their behaviour they see and know that there is "something", but don´t behave disturbed ...
Yes Bea - this pair "public face" awareness was already important to us selecting the potential webcam nest. Anyway GE seems to be not so shy and tolerate any kind of strange things close to their nests more easily comparing for example WTS. I put trailcam from the edge of the GE nest max 1.5 m to secure conditions of reading the ringnumbers. So in reality such kind of equipment is really close to the nest.
Cessie

Post by Cessie »

Gunnar, thank you so much!
The nest is stunningly beautiful!
Bea

Post by Bea »

Gunnar wrote: As Triin already answered - from webcam nest fledge last year one juvenile. Same was 2016 and 2015. This particular pair last years productivity was one of the main reasons to decide where to put GE webcam in Estonia. So lets hope that the adults will not decide to take a brake year what they definitely deserve! Through the last ten years we didn't confirmed in Estonia any cases where from one nest could fledge two youngs. In all those cases older chick killed younger one.

Golden Eagles - Aquila chrysaetos

So we have one more from the Aquila-family .... and so it is the same like with Lesser spotted Eagles - Aquila pomarina and Greater spotted Eagles - Aquila clange .... we have to expect cainism/siblicide in case that two eggs are laid and two hatches will happen?
Triin

Post by Triin »

Bea wrote: Golden Eagles - Aquila chrysaetos

So we have one more from the Aquila-family .... and so it is the same like with Lesser spotted Eagles - Aquila pomarina and Greater spotted Eagles - Aquila clange .... we have to expect cainism/siblicide in case that two eggs are laid and two hatches will happen?
Yes, cainism is possible. Also golden eagles have a very intersting diet of birds and mammals including black grouse, capercaillie, common crane, rabbits, marten e.g.
Bea

Post by Bea »

:D

This would have been my next question - what kind of prey can we expect to be brought to the nest .... I see they have quite a range of food.

Thanks! :thumbs:
Solo

Post by Solo »

Bea wrote: ... we have to expect cainism/siblicide in case that two eggs are laid and two hatches will happen?
the strongest chick kills his weaker sibling/s, or because he gets all food, sibling/s die of hunger :-(
Triin

Post by Triin »

Bea wrote: This would have been my next question - what kind of prey can we expect to be brought to the nest .... I see they have quite a range of food.
Here are two links to blog posts (in Estonian) where you can see what can be found in GE nest after a successful season. These photos were taken in Soomaa in January 2017 and 2018 when we analysed golden eagles prey items.

https://vaikustotsides.wordpress.com/20 ... oogiks-on/
https://vaikustotsides.wordpress.com/20 ... ed-talgud/
Gunnar

Post by Gunnar »

Triin wrote:
Yes, cainism is possible. Also golden eagles have a very intersting diet of birds and mammals including black grouse, capercaillie, common crane, rabbits, marten e.g.
I would like to say even that if there will be two hatched egg - younger one will be probably killed. And talking this issue to the end, all the cases when killed chick remained into the nest (not dropped down over the edge), female feed this died juvenile to the alive one (once again according to the trailcam datas since 2011).
But the situation is not totally hopeless. We have had in Estonia also positive cases where both juveniles have fledged (period before year of 2010).
Bea

Post by Bea »

It is good to know all about these possibilities beforehand - clear words are welcome :nod:

How is the current situation about the total number of Golden Eagles in Estonia and how many breeding couples are in the country?

Golden Eagles are the biggest ones, aren´t they?

Do they have enemies? Apart from poachers and lead ....
Triin

Post by Triin »

Bea wrote: How is the current situation about the total number of Golden Eagles in Estonia and how many breeding couples are in the country?
Currently GE population in Estonia is stable (or growing a little) at 60-70 pairs.
Bea wrote: Golden Eagles are the biggest ones, aren´t they?
WTE is bigger, but GE is more skillful and takes larger prey.
Bea wrote:Do they have enemies? Apart from poachers and lead ....
There aren't any natural enemies really. The threats to population are connected with lack of prey and disturbance by humans.
Bea

Post by Bea »

Wikipedia gives some details about their measurements

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_eagle
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steinadler

Body length ---> females 90 - 100 cm, males are about 10 % smaller than females

Wingspan ---> females 200 - 230 cm and males 190 - 210 cm

Weight ---> females 3,8 - 6,7 kg and males 2,8 - 4,6 kg

English wikipedia has some more details:
The standard measurements of the species include a wing chord length of 52–72 cm (20–28 in), a tail length of 26.5–38 cm (10.4–15.0 in) and a tarsus length of 9.4–12.2 cm (3.7–4.8 in).[5] The culmen (upper ridge of beak) reportedly averages around 4.5 cm (1.8 in), with a range of 3.6 to 5 cm (1.4 to 2.0 in). The bill length from the gape measures around 6 cm (2.4 in).[12][13] The long, straight and powerful hallux-claw (hind claw) can range from 4.5 to 6.34 cm (1.77 to 2.50 in), about one centimetre longer than in a bald eagle and a little more than one centimetre less than a harpy eagle
Bea

Post by Bea »

White tailed Eagle, for compare

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White-tailed_eagle
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seeadler_%28Art%29

Body length ---> 66 – 94 cm (26 – 37 in),

Wingspan ---> 178 – 245 cm (5.8 – 8.0 ft)

Weight ---> females 4 – 6.9 kg (8.8 – 15.2 lb) and males 3.1 – 5.4 kg (6.8 – 11.9 lb)

And more details from English wikipedia
Among standard measurements, the wing chord is 55.2–71.7 cm (21.7–28.2 in), the tail is 25–33 cm (9.8–13.0 in), the tarsus is 9.2–10.1 cm (3.6–4.0 in) and the exposed culmen is 6–6.5 cm (2.4–2.6 in)
Bea

Post by Bea »

Bea wrote:Golden Eagles are the biggest ones, aren´t they?
Triin wrote:WTE is bigger, but GE is more skillful and takes larger prey.
Sorry, my question was not clear enough, I should have phrased better :blush:

I meant Golden Eagles are the biggest ones of all three Aquilas in Estonia ....
Triin

Post by Triin »

Bea wrote: I meant Golden Eagles are the biggest ones of all three Aquilas in Estonia ....
Golden Eagle is a lot bigger than other Aquilas in Estonia.

By the way I think the scientific genus was changed for Greater Spotted Eagle (Aquila Clanga --> Clanga Clanga) and Lesser Spotted Eagle (Aquila Pomarina --> Clanga Pomarina)
Summi

Post by Summi »

Triin and Gunnar, TY for the background info. :thumbs:
Hagnat wrote:February 8 Room with a view
Hagnat, you must have read my thoughts - as if both the trees have bent their trunks to form a frame to reveal for us a wider view of the landscape.

Return to “Golden Eagle Webcam Forum”