Black Stork Nests in Europe

Ciconia nigra cams and information
asteria

Re: Black Stork Nests in Europe

Post by asteria »

Solo wrote: August 2nd, 2019, 5:10 pm "We can't say anything" - "But the fact is..." :shock: :puzzled:
No idea what do you mean, but my point is that some siblings start their migration together and others separately. When we get two tagged siblings leaving the nest together(I don't know any cases), we can follow their further way, if they are the same or different.
Solo

Post by Solo »

asteria wrote: August 2nd, 2019, 5:31 pm... When we get two tagged siblings leaving the nest together(I don't know any cases), we can follow their further way, if they are the same or different.
Solo wrote: August 2nd, 2019, 4:16 pm...I followed migration path and I read about storklets from one nest with transmitter - but still they are only few data
I read about chicks/siblings from one nest in Czech and I followed chicks/siblings from RS Makov and from nest in Slovenia - they all did not migrate together and not the same route
asteria wrote: August 2nd, 2019, 5:31 pmNo idea what do you mean...
if you wrote "We can't say anything ..." so "...But the fact is..." is nonsense, sorry
"We can't say anything" because we have only few data and therefore no relevant facts/evidence are available ("But the fact is...")
asteria

Post by asteria »

1. To follow the tracks of two migrating siblings you need to have at least two tagged ones in the same nest. I saw Woodek and Malwin(flew away separately) and Karula, Maru and Paike(all flew away separately).
2. When you watch two siblings, starting their migration at the same time, there must be a chance they fly their way together, but to prove it, they both should be tagged. All the siblings I watched were either not tagged or only one of them had a transmitter. If this year any of tagged storklets fly together and go on flying the same way, then there will be data.
Solo

Post by Solo »

asteria wrote: August 2nd, 2019, 8:39 pm...
Summary:
I wrote about my knowledge, experience with tagged storklets (I remembered that it was plus not only W+M and the trio from Karula, but also Mare had sibling Bille with transmitter and I read also from another two but only ringed sibling). So I have infos about 17 storklets from 7 nest (or if you want: 15 tagged from 6 nest) - they all fly separately.

They are still very few data to writing as you wrote: "Sometimes storklets from one nest fly together, sometimes separately." Also you wrote: "I saw Woodek and Malwin(flew away separately) and Karula, Maru and Paike(all flew away separately)."

Dr. M. Strazds wrote (two only ringed storklet from one nest) "... Both of these observations are also further evidence that young birds in the same nest, even when traveling in the same direction, do not travel together. There is only one day between these two observations, but the distance between these observations is more than 530 km. ..."
asteria

Post by asteria »

So none of the tagged siblings from 6 nests you watched flew away from the nest together. Let us wait for the result from this year. In Poland they have 22 young tagged storklets, also Aru and Oru in Estonia and the kids of Tonichkovy.
Solo

Post by Solo »

asteria wrote: August 3rd, 2019, 8:51 am... In Poland they have 22 young tagged storklets, also Aru and Oru in Estonia and the kids of Tonichkovy. ...
In Poland they are also previous years much BS chicks with transmitter (but most of them are "sillent" :bow: ), but I know not yet if they are also chicks from one nest.
asteria

Post by asteria »

It is very interesting to follow young Tonichkovy, because they may chose completely another way to Africa, maybe through Germany, France, Spain and then crossing Gibraltar. Makov/Nova Ves' is only 200 km far from Germany.
Solo

Post by Solo »

asteria wrote: August 3rd, 2019, 12:27 pmIt is very interesting to follow young Tonichkovy, because they may chose completely another way to Africa, maybe through Germany, France, Spain and then crossing Gibraltar. Makov/Nova Ves' is only 200 km far from Germany.
we will see (I hope for successfully migration) if they choose the western route over Gibraltar or/and the eastern route through Turkey and Israel

one source:
Solo

Post by Solo »

Solo wrote: August 3rd, 2019, 11:29 amIn Poland they are also previous years much BS chicks with transmitter (but most of them are "sillent" :bow: ), but I know not yet if they are also chicks from one nest.
I read now:
" ... 26 (18 males and eight females) from eight nests located in Opole Silesia (SW Poland) were equipped with GPS satellite transmitters (13 in 2017, and 13 in 2018). ... All fledglings (100%) with GPS satellite transmitters installed in 2017 were killed and not a single one survived a year. .... 2018 On 5 November 2018, seven young black storks are still alive in France, Serbia, Greece (2 individuals), in the European part of Turkey and northern Israel (2 individuals). ...Siblings commonly use different migration routes. Of the three young birds coming from one nest, each of them chose a different route of migration to wintering grounds. ..."
asteria

Post by asteria »

19.57 Dab nest: two storklets stay on the branch.
Solo

Post by Solo »

PL Dab-nest
asteria wrote: August 3rd, 2019, 10:01 pm19.57 Dab nest: two storklets stay on the branch

Solo

Post by Solo »

August 4

PL - Puszcza Notecka

storklet are away (last: Sept. 1)

vids by Storkslover :thumbs:
- feeding only for younger one (I think) https://youtu.be/hLhvtkfFU-M (one fish back as Tóbiás :mrgreen: )
(one storklet spend the last night on the nest - night 31.8./1.9.)

- feeding for all 3 - the last morning: https://youtu.be/tFN3KDbaiSY
probably the last video with all 3 storklets: https://youtu.be/mZtkRpwxO2g

- today is only the adult stork (probably male on nest), it seems to me as good bye visit ... female yesterday after 15:00
(arrival 10:59:00 EDIT: departure 13:57:30, very nice - carefully dad)

EDIT: good bye visit (male): https://youtu.be/vet1VMAVXTY
Solo

Post by Solo »

asteria wrote: August 3rd, 2019, 10:01 pm....
CZ, Rescue Station Makov
young storks (handicaped parents) on their first walk outside the nest in the flying aviary
https://www.facebook.com/liborZmakova/v ... 576122696/
asteria

Post by asteria »

Solo wrote: August 7th, 2019, 8:27 pm CZ, Rescue Station Makov
young storks (handicaped parents) on their first walk outside the nest in the flying aviary
https://www.facebook.com/liborZmakova/v ... 576122696/
When the storklets start to fly, how will they return in the area under the net?
Solo

Post by Solo »

asteria wrote: August 7th, 2019, 9:33 pmWhen the storklets start to fly, how will they return in the area under the net?
Mr. Libor wrote on July 10: "If everything goes well, I would let them under the net to learn to fish live fish in the pond and train their wings a little bit, then it would be best to take them somewhere where other black storks are fishing, but we'll see"
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

August 9

Solo :wave: thank a lot for updates and interesting posts!

Puszcza Notecka- Parent is here again :mrgreen:

12:37 Arrival

14:05 flew off to the south? :laugh:
Solo

Post by Solo »

Liz01 wrote: August 9th, 2019, 3:15 pm...Puszcza Notecka- Parent is here again :mrgreen: ...
14:05 flew off to the south? :laugh: ..
only this stork know the answer :mrgreen:

Poland - Dab-nest
all 3 still at home, I saw also feedings (I have more shots, but not time and joy for that here)

2 feeding yesterday

today morning

now number 12 is alone on nest
Solo

Post by Solo »

August 11

Poland - Dab-nest
probably they all are also away :puzzled:

(since yesterday afternoon there was no streaming)

adult stork (male :puzzled: )
arrived at 11:07:23 (empty nest) - 12:12:00 departure

very probably good bye visit (behaviour typical for last visit)
Solo

Post by Solo »

yesterday (Aug. 10) I was out (and stream had big gaps), morning I saw already only Number 12 on nest

and away

EDIT Aug. 12
all 3 storklets on the way to south https://www.looduskalender.ee/forum/vie ... 20#p686920
asteria

Post by asteria »

One of the storklets of Tonik and Tonichka will probably stay in Makov, because it is limping. Unless its leg recovers.

Return to “Black Storks”