Osprey Nests in North America

Birdfriend

Re: Osprey Nests in North America

Post by Birdfriend »

balistar wrote: October 5th, 2019, 1:17 am Thank you very much, Birdfriend, for your report and all the beautiful pictures with which you spoiled us.
I'm sorry for the loss of the two other chicks.

Wish the remained chick and Beaumont and Hope a safe journey.
See you next season :wave:
You are welcome, balistar :wave:
The nature needs us not, but we need the nature
balistar

Post by balistar »

Chimega wrote: October 5th, 2019, 3:53 pm Hog Island, Bremen Maine, September 30th, 2019

Halley's last day at the nest and begins migration at the end of the 3rd video.

Yey_UFPQzP0[/youtube]

wL-vKYgZBxM[/youtube]

SeJMeGock74[/youtube]
:hi: Chimega,

first of all a big thank you for all the wonderful work you do, keeping us updated with your beautiful videos and reports about so many nests, i appreciate very much.
Hog Island, Steve's and Rachel's nest is one of my favourits. I followed your reports sporadically & silently, and i'm so sad about Rachel's leg injury, but most of all, i'm disappointed at the failure to help and the denial of a broken leg and belittlement of the damage (from those persons who should know it better). (i was quite upset because I still remember well, how Steve Kress saved Bailey 2x and helped so beautifully, and now I could not understand that Rachel had no help at all).

What I've noticed, maybe I'm wrong, the videos in your latest post (above), show at my computer not Halley from Hog Island, but C9 from Charlo Montana :puzzled: , although they are very nice and informative, too :D .

I so much would like to know if and when Rachel started her migration, tried to read back a few pages, but didn't find the right post.
However, i cross my fingers for Rachel's migration with that handicap-leg and pray for her safe return next season. Hopefully she can manage the challenge in a similar way like Mom Berry from Berry College's nest.

Thanks again, Chimega :wave:
Chimega

Post by Chimega »

Hi Balistar :wave:

These are the dates given by Explore and the Hog Island Facebook page moderators for the last time each was seen at Hog Island nest or across the bay.

Rachel - 9/3/19 at 10:17 am
Steve - 9/12/19 at 11:10 am
Halley - 9/12/19 at 7:17 am

The problem for me is that I don't know what actually goes on beyond what the camera shows so any of the Ospreys could be there and people watching the camera via Explore and youtube can't see her. So I never could report the very last time she was seen until time goes by and she does not return to the nest or be seen on the camera so time has to go by before that can be determined. With C9 at Charlo, I waited around 5 days or so before posting that last video anywhere, just in case she came back and she didn't. Times and dates plus data can be changed in the title of a video and I would have done so if she had come back... well, I would have shot even more video.

Keep in mind, too, that there are other nests in the area, other mates and also other chicks. I have heard them fish calling, myself! So just hearing Ospreys flying around does not mean it was definitely Steve, Rachel or Halley.

IMHO, there are several factors in why Rachel wasn't helped. 1st one being, because catching her would have been extremely difficult and she could have been injured further, including her wings. And I know Rachel does not like humans, at all. And she taught this to Halley by Halley observing so that any time Halley saw a human, she alerted and left the nest. Some Osprey become so upset when caught during a rescue that they die just from the trauma of being caught.

Then there is the very good possibility that Rachel's leg was so badly damaged and so much time had gone by that she would have to be kept in captivity for the rest of her life, providing she survived capture and would eat fish given to her by humans. I can't ever see her being happy, living like that. I don't know how old she is but she's at least around 8 years old. This would probably be very depressing for her to live out her life in a cage, hating and fearing the creatures who were caring for her plus missing her nest, Hog Island and her Steve. :cry:

But then my heart takes over :cry: and I fear I will never see her again. And this makes me really cry. She is so very beautiful and so very brave and fierce in defending her young, even against the great threat, the powerful Great-horned Owls. Most Osprey flee the nest when a predator comes for their chicks but not Rachel. She did something no one has ever seen before. She fought and fought hard. To be honest, I don't know how she can survive on her own with that injury. Always, the what ifs are in my mind, especially if that bone became infected and/or could she hold her food on a branch to eat or will she have to eat on the ground which is very, very dangerous. And of course, just surviving flying through hurricane force wind. My poor girl. I have cried for her many times and I fear she will not return in the spring.

These are mostly my own thoughts and definitely not the scientific thoughts of the Hog Island staff. But anyway, I caught Rachel at the nest at the time given, above... the very last time I saw her. Here is that video.

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
Chimega

Post by Chimega »

Oh, I see my error!!! :slap: :slap: I put Halley in that title for those posts. I will go fix it right now if the software will let me. I am always thinking about Halley. :blush: :unsure:
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

Chimega wrote: October 6th, 2019, 6:52 pm Hi Balistar :wave:

These are the dates given by Explore and the Hog Island Facebook page moderators for the last time each was seen at Hog Island nest or across the bay.

Rachel - 9/3/19 at 10:17 am
Steve - 9/12/19 at 11:10 am
Halley - 9/12/19 at 7:17 am

The problem for me is that I don't know what actually goes on beyond what the camera shows so any of the Ospreys could be there and people watching the camera via Explore and youtube can't see her. So I never could report the very last time she was seen until time goes by and she does not return to the nest or be seen on the camera so time has to go by before that can be determined. With C9 at Charlo, I waited around 5 days or so before posting that last video anywhere, just in case she came back and she didn't. Times and dates plus data can be changed in the title of a video and I would have done so if she had come back... well, I would have shot even more video.

Keep in mind, too, that there are other nests in the area, other mates and also other chicks. I have heard them fish calling, myself! So just hearing Ospreys flying around does not mean it was definitely Steve, Rachel or Halley.

IMHO, there are several factors in why Rachel wasn't helped. 1st one being, because catching her would have been extremely difficult and she could have been injured further, including her wings. And I know Rachel does not like humans, at all. And she taught this to Halley by Halley observing so that any time Halley saw a human, she alerted and left the nest. Some Osprey become so upset when caught during a rescue that they die just from the trauma of being caught.

Then there is the very good possibility that Rachel's leg was so badly damaged and so much time had gone by that she would have to be kept in captivity for the rest of her life, providing she survived capture and would eat fish given to her by humans. I can't ever see her being happy, living like that. I don't know how old she is but she's at least around 8 years old. This would probably be very depressing for her to live out her life in a cage, hating and fearing the creatures who were caring for her plus missing her nest, Hog Island and her Steve. :cry:

But then my heart takes over :cry: and I fear I will never see her again. And this makes me really cry. She is so very beautiful and so very brave and fierce in defending her young, even against the great threat, the powerful Great-horned Owls. Most Osprey flee the nest when a predator comes for their chicks but not Rachel. She did something no one has ever seen before. She fought and fought hard. To be honest, I don't know how she can survive on her own with that injury. Always, the what ifs are in my mind, especially if that bone became infected and/or could she hold her food on a branch to eat or will she have to eat on the ground which is very, very dangerous. And of course, just surviving flying through hurricane force wind. My poor girl. I have cried for her many times and I fear she will not return in the spring.

These are mostly my own thoughts and definitely not the scientific thoughts of the Hog Island staff. But anyway, I caught Rachel at the nest at the time given, above... the very last time I saw her. Here is that video.

°°°
Thank you, Chimega for that video about last visit from Rachel...
I share your mind for the reasons that the team there had decided not to intervene. I guess it would be a agony for poor Rachel...
All what we can is to hope for her...she is an brave female osprey for sure.
balistar

Post by balistar »

Chimega,

thank you so much for your immens detailed reply.
I subscribe every word and share each of your thoughts. Now i can realize and understand well, why the Hog Island staff did not help Rachel. Under these aspects, help would be really counterproductive with a certain severe trauma and possibly lethal outcome.

No, i absolutely agree, the wonderful and outstandingly courageous and brave Rachel (i saw her several times fighting against the GHOs) must stay where she belongs to: in freedom in the wild ! :nod: whatever the future holds for her.

Although I also cried a lot (even while reading your post), i pray for her and the return to her beloved Steve. I wish her an angel to accompony and watch over her.
Hope dies last. Sometimes miracles happen, i want believe in.

Maybe it will help you a little bit to know that others share the concerns with you.

:wave:
Chimega

Post by Chimega »

balistar wrote: October 7th, 2019, 3:00 am Chimega,

thank you so much for your immens detailed reply.
I subscribe every word and share each of your thoughts. Now i can realize and understand well, why the Hog Island staff did not help Rachel. Under these aspects, help would be really counterproductive with a certain severe trauma and possibly lethal outcome.

No, i absolutely agree, the wonderful and outstandingly courageous and brave Rachel (i saw her several times fighting against the GHOs) must stay where she belongs to: in freedom in the wild ! :nod: whatever the future holds for her.

Although I also cried a lot (even while reading your post), i pray for her and the return to her beloved Steve. I wish her an angel to accompony and watch over her.
Hope dies last. Sometimes miracles happen, i want believe in.

Maybe it will help you a little bit to know that others share the concerns with you.

Hi balistar, Thank you for the lovely post. Thank you, also, for mentioning that angels or an angel, accompany Rachel on her journey to her wintering grounds. I pray this happens and that an angel remains with her to look out for her while she is away, then comes back with her so that we see her at least one more year if not many.

I love her so much and I thought I would not love another as much as Piret, Iris at Hellgate and Harriet at Dunrovin but I got so caught up with her and her struggles and brave actions and her good mothering skills at Hog Island that I couldn't help but to love her very much. And I know we are not supposed to humanize these birds or anthropomorphize but it's inevitable when one watches that bird all day, every day, often for 24 hours a day when emergencies arise as seems to happen at this nest every year.

There is an excellent podcast, here, from Poole Harbor and the Roy Dennis Foundation which may have been posted elsewhere on the forum but I didn't see it if it was because I don't check and read all the various threads and posts. But they talk about the Ospreys at the hack towers and how they raise them, then they go free and finally migrate. Then a disaster happens and the young bird dies on it's first migration for a reason that shouldn't have happened. And they talk about the sorrow of finding out that bird died so they surely cared very much, too, and these are scientific people. So I don't feel so bad, knowing they care as much as I do or at least similarly. You can listen to this while you do other things as there is no video so you don't have to watch anything.

https://www.buzzsprout.com/469015/17750 ... rOZPTQ7fH4

It's a great podcast to listen to and learn from.

Anyway, thank you for the thanks. Best wishes and talk with you later. :wave:
Chimega

Post by Chimega »

Here is a photo that I took of Steve on the left and Rachel on the right, the morning after Dion was taken by the Great-horned Owl. I see sadness in Rachel's eyes. I have this as my desktop photo when I never thought I would take Stan from Hellgate off my desktop as my background but I couldn't help but use this photo.

And one of Rachel on her perch in better days.

Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

Chimega :hi:
Have you overlooked my post...?
seira

Post by seira »

Savannah, Georgia

October 8

https://www.facebook.com/LandingsBirdCa ... 7667628024
There is going to be a lot of action around the old nest area this week and it started this morning. Cams will be taken down, an artificial nest will be built in a live tree next to the dead nest tree and then cams will be put back up (including a new cam). We'll post updates as we go. Sorry for the inconvenience but we hope you'll love the results.

https://www.facebook.com/LandingsBirdCa ... 6097605181
Perspective: old and new in the same picture. Since the old nest tree is dead (and may fall down), an artificial nest will be built in the tree next to it. This is the tree (on the right) that has the other cams in it. After the new nest is built, the old tree can be taken down safely.

I will miss this nest very much.
Chimega

Post by Chimega »

10-09-2019, Charlo, Montana (visitors to the nest)

Chimega

Post by Chimega »

10-20-2019, Charlo, Monana

Chimega

Post by Chimega »

Birdfriend wrote: October 6th, 2019, 7:49 pm Thank you, Chimega for that video about last visit from Rachel...
I share your mind for the reasons that the team there had decided not to intervene. I guess it would be a agony for poor Rachel...
All what we can is to hope for her...she is an brave female osprey for sure.
Oh my goodness, Birdfriend, I didn't mean to bypass your post. It's just that when I get the chance to come here, I am in such a hurry to get back to the recorder or a nest or something like that, that I hurry too much and miss a lot. Please forgive me. :blush:

I do feel that way about Rachel on one hand and then my heart tells me if they had only trapped her they could have saved her and set her free. But we don't know what would have happened, really. She could have died from the shock of it all o she may have not been able to be saved at all and they may have had to make a decision to humanely put her down, or she may have done just fine. but the only way to know that would have been to try to trap her and go from there and once they had her, it was either life or death, I fear. So I really don't know what would have been best for Rachel but if she dies, she would die free and in the wild where she belongs. :cry:

Yes, all we can do is hope. :wave:
Chimega

Post by Chimega »

seira wrote: October 10th, 2019, 12:13 pm Savannah, Georgia

October 8

https://www.facebook.com/LandingsBirdCa ... 7667628024
There is going to be a lot of action around the old nest area this week and it started this morning. Cams will be taken down, an artificial nest will be built in a live tree next to the dead nest tree and then cams will be put back up (including a new cam). We'll post updates as we go. Sorry for the inconvenience but we hope you'll love the results.

https://www.facebook.com/LandingsBirdCa ... 6097605181
Perspective: old and new in the same picture. Since the old nest tree is dead (and may fall down), an artificial nest will be built in the tree next to it. This is the tree (on the right) that has the other cams in it. After the new nest is built, the old tree can be taken down safely.

I will miss this nest very much.
This is unbelievable and one of the worst things we have ever seen the Audubon Society and other societies involved, do to a pair of Ospreys or any other raptor or bird for that matter.

First, that tree is most likely just fine. There are people who are from that area who say there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the tree and they don't think it is in danger of falling, at all. And then there are all those posters who came out of the woodwork to cheer on the Great Horned Owls. Many of those are under the impression that they will be seeing the owls who used to nest there 4 years ago. I seriously doubt it will be the same owls, if any owls nest in the brand new nest at all.

Great Horned Owls are known for taking over another raptor's nest. This will be a brand new nest. They may not even want it. And then what? An empty nest and 2 beautiful Ospreys will come back from migration to find their home destroyed and gone. What will become of them? None of us will ever see them, again. Such a sad, terrible thing to do to two lovely raptors like Rhett and Scarlett who have made this their home for 3 or 4 years. Poof, gone. And gone to us all who love them so, as well. Just awful. :cry:
Cessie

Post by Cessie »

New livestream online now, Port Lincoln Ospreys, on YouTube
The Port Lincoln Osprey Cam is located in Australia. The time difference from Estonia, is approximately 8 hours ahead. There are two chicks - Star and Calypso. The parents are called, Mum and Dad.
Today appears to be the first day of the live cam and the sound (microphone), is not working, but they will get the sound fixed!!
:thumbs:
It’s so nice to have an Osprey Cam this time of the year!!
Fingers crossed that Liz01, or Chimega , will make some videos of the feedings for us to watch! :D
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

Chimega wrote: October 10th, 2019, 11:38 pm Oh my goodness, Birdfriend, I didn't mean to bypass your post. It's just that when I get the chance to come here, I am in such a hurry to get back to the recorder or a nest or something like that, that I hurry too much and miss a lot. Please forgive me. :blush:

I do feel that way about Rachel on one hand and then my heart tells me if they had only trapped her they could have saved her and set her free. But we don't know what would have happened, really. She could have died from the shock of it all o she may have not been able to be saved at all and they may have had to make a decision to humanely put her down, or she may have done just fine. but the only way to know that would have been to try to trap her and go from there and once they had her, it was either life or death, I fear. So I really don't know what would have been best for Rachel but if she dies, she would die free and in the wild where she belongs. :cry:

Yes, all we can do is hope. :wave:
No problem, Chimega! :wave:
Thanks for your comment, I cross my fingers for Rachel and Steve...
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

Cessie wrote: October 11th, 2019, 9:01 am New livestream online now, Port Lincoln Ospreys, on YouTube
The Port Lincoln Osprey Cam is located in Australia. The time difference from Estonia, is approximately 8 hours ahead. There are two chicks - Star and Calypso. The parents are called, Mum and Dad.
Today appears to be the first day of the live cam and the sound (microphone), is not working, but they will get the sound fixed!!
:thumbs:
It’s so nice to have an Osprey Cam this time of the year!!
Fingers crossed that Liz01, or Chimega , will make some videos of the feedings for us to watch! :D
Cessie :hi: Can you please post the link for the stream?
Cessie

Post by Cessie »

:wave: Birdfriend, i don’t know how to post a YouTube link. :blush:
I’m hoping that someone else will.
Also, the camera is in Australia not North America. But I think that people will check here too.
Hellem

Post by Hellem »

Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

Hellem wrote: October 11th, 2019, 10:23 pm Birdfriend :wave:

Port_Lincoln Osprey Live Stream
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unhrpO1v0o4

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sou ... 98b67765bb
Many thanks, Hellem! :thumbs: :wave:

Return to “Osprey”