Southwest Florida Eagle Cam

All eagles except White-tailed and Spotted Eagles
Liz01

Re: Harriet & M15, American Bald Eagle Cam

Post by Liz01 »

Solo wrote: January 15th, 2020, 3:24 pm
I think you all are right with hook or what that is and the "bad" help - damaged the vein
It looks like a fish hook :cry:
Solo

Post by Solo »

Liz01 wrote: January 15th, 2020, 3:45 pm... It will be the 2nd video with age restriction. so only from 18 + . That's new on youtube. For me it's a great future.
how do they want to check/control it? or is it just a warning - unsuitable for 18- ?
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Solo wrote: January 15th, 2020, 4:04 pm how do they want to check/control it? or is it just a warning - unsuitable for 18- ?
It is new on the YouTube channel. I am obliged to indicate if a video is not suitable for children. Only people over the age of 18 will then be made available. Only subscribers can see the videos. None outside of my channel. That's what I read. I'm not sure if it works.

you can try it: https://youtu.be/ZXmfKLiklfE
Please tell me what you see! Age restriction or warning?
Solo

Post by Solo »

Liz01 wrote: January 15th, 2020, 5:04 pm

after clicking I saw the video
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Solo wrote: January 15th, 2020, 5:48 pm ......
Thanks, Solo. I would say it's not the best child protection. :rolleyes: Better than nothing. It is a new law. So I have to do it in that way.
Solo

Post by Solo »

Liz01 wrote: January 15th, 2020, 6:00 pm
Liz: https://looduskalender.ee/forum/viewtop ... 59#p705759 :laugh:

btw. I am subscriber
Mamicja

Post by Mamicja »

:hi:
E14 body was taken from the nest.
E14 body was recovered by CROW - Clinic for the Rehabilitation of Wildlife. There's a note on their FB page https://pl-pl.facebook.com/CROWClinic/
We are deeply saddened by the passing of E14 of the Southwest Florida Eagle Cam overnight. We are working closely with US Fish and Wildlife to pursue the possibility of recovering the remains to perform a necropsy and determine a cause of death. We will provide updates on our social media pages as more information becomes available.
What a sad day :cry:
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

I'm very sorry about little E14, thanks to all who reported about that tragedy. :bow:
Just I've read it, but why have they not intervene? They have did it before too. Poor lil is bled to death. :cry:
RIP poor eaglet...

Again a loss made by humans, stupid angler! It's a shame!
The nature needs us not, but we need the nature
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

Liz01 wrote: January 15th, 2020, 12:00 pm Chat:
Jan 15, 4:48 AM
Essec09 (Admin): SWFEC is hosting a Classroom Session for Mrs. Barclay’s 5th grade students from Ecole Sifton School in Alberta on Wednesday, January 15 at 4:30pm (EST). We hope you can join us.
:slap:
So the show should go on...
The nature needs us not, but we need the nature
Abigyl

Post by Abigyl »

:cry:

I was speachless this morning for hours.

I saw it bleeding last evening and parents were looking at him with very sad eyes, it was so hard; where was the truck yesterday ? :slap:

I watched him for hours in the last days, it was so cute, playing and moving small sticks and even tried to eat alone once. He was standing alone for few seconds and already had the "blue" feathers.
It's double-sad when it's the first born and when it happens in such a safe nest.
R.I.P. little-big one.
Mamicja

Post by Mamicja »

Update on the FB CROW website https://pl-pl.facebook.com/CROWClinic/
Update on E14 passing:

This afternoon, a CROW staff member removed the remains from the Southwest Florida Eagle Cam nest and brought them to the #CROWClinic. The unhatched egg was also removed from the nest.

A radiograph was taken of the body which did not reveal any foreign objects, such as a fishing hook, in the body of E14 and the staff member that retrieved the remains did not find any fishing hooks or line in the nest.

A brief examination was performed by veterinary staff in which they noted the entire left side to be covered in blood which appears to have come from a broken blood feather on the left wing. No other traumatic wounds were found to have occurred prior to the eaglet’s passing.

The remains of E14 have been sent to the Southeast Cooperative Wildlife Disease Study (SCWDS) at the University of Georgia for further evaluation and testing, including testing for rodenticides that may have contributed to the eaglet’s death. It will take some time before we receive the results, but we will be sure to share them once they are available.

For those curious about the unhatched egg, we were able to determine that it was fertilized and had developed partially, but were unable to determine why it did not hatch.
Solo

Post by Solo »

Mamicja wrote: January 15th, 2020, 10:51 pm Update on the FB CROW website https://pl-pl.facebook.com/CROWClinic/
Mamicja, thanx
(LadyHawk wrote that doubt already 20 hours ago to her video)
Lady Hawk 20 hours ago
I went back over the afternoon and believe that E14 might have broken a blood pin feather getting caught in the rails on the nest. A broken blood feather that remains in a bird's skin essentially acts as an open faucet, allowing blood to pour out of the bird's body. Because birds cannot tolerate much blood loss, broken blood feathers that are left untreated can be fatal in some cases. If a pin feather is damaged, a bird may bleed heavily. The bleeding may stop on its own, but much blood can potentially be lost. To stop bleeding from a pin feather, it is necessary to pluck the feather out of the follicle from its base.
I hope it can coagulate overnight. We are all hoping and praying that E14 will be okay. I will share any updates as they become available.

:bow: :cry:
Solo

Post by Solo »

Abigyl wrote: January 15th, 2020, 10:27 pm
Abigyl,
I was so happy - no bonking only joy and this end ... :cry: :cry: :cry:
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

Liz01 wrote: January 15th, 2020, 3:45 pm Sonchik, both have eaten E14. You can see it on the 360 degree camera. I have recorded it.
:puzzled: My question was about Harriet's karate in relation to the M15.
Thank you for the video from the 360 camera! We need to know what's left of the E14 for the autopsy.
Mamicja wrote: January 15th, 2020, 10:51 pm Update on the FB CROW website https://pl-pl.facebook.com/CROWClinic/
A radiograph was taken of the body which did not reveal any foreign objects, such as a fishing hook, in the body of E14 and the staff member that retrieved the remains did not find any fishing hooks or line in the nest.
But you all see the wire twisted on the hook?
Nordri wrote: January 15th, 2020, 5:34 am found a hook on FB
I hope none of the parents ate the hook. :bow:
asteria

Post by asteria »

Solo wrote: January 15th, 2020, 11:07 pm Mamicja, thanx
(LadyHawk wrote that doubt already 20 hours ago to her video)
Lady Hawk 20 hours ago
I went back over the afternoon and believe that E14 might have broken a blood pin feather getting caught in the rails on the nest. A broken blood feather that remains in a bird's skin essentially acts as an open faucet, allowing blood to pour out of the bird's body. Because birds cannot tolerate much blood loss, broken blood feathers that are left untreated can be fatal in some cases. If a pin feather is damaged, a bird may bleed heavily. The bleeding may stop on its own, but much blood can potentially be lost. To stop bleeding from a pin feather, it is necessary to pluck the feather out of the follicle from its base.
I hope it can coagulate overnight. We are all hoping and praying that E14 will be okay. I will share any updates as they become available.

:bow: :cry:
Why didn't they come there 20 hours ago instead of just waiting, when it was clearly seen that the eaglet was seriously injured? :slap:
Nordri

Post by Nordri »

Yes, the version with the hook is wrong. But this version gave a chance to save him last night (according to the law on interference in nature) It is a pity that they did not take this chance.
Sunshine

Post by Sunshine »

Very sad news, indeed. But this is nature and we have to accept it.
This is also such a good example of why it is much better to have a second sibling hatched, even if one has to watch the bonking, biting and all other forms of sibling rivalry.

It's a pity that the embryo development stopped in the second egg.
Fly freely, the lovely E14!
Sunshine

Post by Sunshine »

asteria wrote: January 16th, 2020, 12:04 am Why didn't they come there 20 hours ago instead of just waiting, when it was clearly seen that the eaglet was seriously injured? :slap:
asteria, the CROW (Clinic for the rehabilitation for wildlife) gave an answer to that (on FB):
As soon as CROW staff became aware of the situation, efforts to coordinate a rescue began. This process includes obtaining permission from federal and state wildlife officials prior to intervening in an active nest. Entering an active nest at night poses a safety risk to both the adult eagles who could become agitated by human presence and seriously injure themselves during the rescue process, as well as the safety risk to the personnel attempting the rescue. Realistically, a rescue attempt was not possible until this morning at which time we were notified the eaglet had passed away overnight.
Sunshine

Post by Sunshine »

Sonchik wrote: January 15th, 2020, 3:42 pm Do they always behave like that? Harriet Image
Yes, for Harriet and also bold eagles in general this is a completely adequate behaviour. It is related to Harriet expressing the dominance, but also is usually part of the bonding ritual; by kicking the male's side and "yelling" at him, the female is also "inviting" him to mate. They strengthen their ties in this ritual, which intensifies with the start of a breeding season and is followed almost each time by mating.

Yet, in this case, the Harriet might have been rather stressed, seeing that E14 is not ok, and then "acting it out" in the display of this behaviour.
Sunshine

Post by Sunshine »

17:20

Poor Harriet and M15, they must have been pretty agitated since last night. It seems, they had calmed down a bit towards the evening.

Return to “Eagles”