Danish WTE web camera 2015-2018

Haliaeetus albacilla nests in other countries

Moderator: Moderators

Mamicja

Re: Danish WTE web camera 2015-2018

Post by Mamicja »

:hi:
Shift change. You can see the spot where the female perches near the nest.

I think it is the same couple who visited the nest last spring.
24-03-2019
30-03-2019
19-06-2019
albicilla

Post by albicilla »

MAR. 21

Thank you, Mamicja for video and pictures from 2019.
I think, too that theese eagles are the same as in 2019.
(the text on the web site tells a story that was written last year.)

05.38 Quiet shift with in 2 minutes
05.40 F out after stretch

A scr prt from yesterdays video by Gliss 2 ando shows the resting tree chosen by F at this shift change
Mar. 20 - in late afternoon (as far as I can see)

Warning calls by both eagles. I do not know why.
We hear gun shots from out side now and then.
It is an automatical gun machine in the fields west of the nest.
To scare the many Barnacle geese grassing there before the great travel to the NE later.

10.15 Toilet visit by M - the video - https://www.facebook.com/havoernene/vid ... 987297709/

18.25 Female in for the night. The video https://www.facebook.com/havoernene/vid ... 282942604/
albicilla

Post by albicilla »

Did we ever see where the nest is placed:

Across the Baltic Sea north of Germany

From Google earth:

From the Turist Guide
The nest is placed in a small forrest just behind the dam build in 1889.
The area - 90 ha - is owned by a a bird foundation Fugleværnsfonden
albicilla

Post by albicilla »

NO capricorn in DK. I think we have seen deers - Capreolus capreolus and Dama dama under the nest. They might walk out and in of the reserve as they want.
Cattle and horse are fenced by electric wire, which deers do not respect.
Mamicja

Post by Mamicja »

albicilla wrote: March 21st, 2020, 7:20 am MAR. 21

Thank you, Mamicja for video and pictures from 2019.
I think, too that theese eagles are the same as in 2019.
(the text on the web site tells a story that was written last year.)
So it takes a year to bond (I think about the Norwegian nest)
albicilla

Post by albicilla »

So it takes a year to bond (I think about the Norvegian nest)
You might say that. We have seen it at the Durbe nest and At Smøla, Norway.
But I am not convinced that it is so always.
In Latvia and Norway the female simply was not fertile / able to / old enough to mate and lay an egg.
But bonding has to take place. At least around 1 month before eggs will be laid.
That is what I think at the moment.
albicilla

Post by albicilla »

MAR. 22

05.40 M in for brooding

10.18 F has the duty and M comes in with some fur stuff. ½ a rabbit or young hare, I think it was.

F eats while M is looking around.
10.26 F is back on the eggs.

17.49 M in with a bit of straw to take the shift before F might take the night on the eggs
albicilla

Post by albicilla »

18.21 Finally a day with sunset. No winter this year in DK. For the first time ever. Maybe 1 cm of snow one day, othervise rain in 6 months.

Video of the last change of the day:
https://www.facebook.com/havoernene/vid ... 605156904/
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

I am so sorry for my own poor translations, my lexicon in the net is apparently not enough. I am a Finn and I find my translations mostly from the vocabulary of a certain net dictionary.

I meant nor reindeers, capricorns or wild horses. Roe would be the nearest translation to what I meant, compared with the word "rådjur" in Swedish, which language I also can somewhat. Deer sounds more like animals we have here in North Finland, they are relatives to reindeers, but I would be surprised if they wandered so south as in
Denmark.

I am very embarrassed for the confusion I caused with my word choise. :blush:
martinmiethke

Post by martinmiethke »

Owlie wrote: March 22nd, 2020, 7:52 pm I meant nor reindeers, capricorns or wild horses. Roe would be the nearest translation to what I meant, compared with the word "rådjur" in Swedish, which language I also can somewhat. Deer sounds more like animals we have here in North Finland, they are relatives to reindeers, but I would be surprised if they wandered so south as in Denmark.
AFAIK there are no Red Deers in Denmark, but Roes do :-)
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

martinmiethke wrote: March 22nd, 2020, 8:01 pm AFAIK there are no Red Deers in Denmark, but Roes do :-)
Red Roes?
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

albicilla wrote: March 21st, 2020, 8:42 am Did we ever see where the nest is placed:
:wave:
On another LK Forum some years ago it was advised not to publish too detailed situation description of the nests, just in case ... there are also people who don't appreciate wild animals. Maybe you could remove the most detailed pictures in order to ensure a peaceful nesting for the bird family?
Hellem

Post by Hellem »

Owlie :wave: , Roe deer - metsäkauris in Finnish, reindeer - peura, poro, red deer - saksanhirvi
albicilla

Post by albicilla »

Owlie wrote: March 22nd, 2020, 8:20 pm :wave:
On another LK Forum some years ago it was advised not to publish too detailed situation description of the nests, just in case ... there are also people who don't appreciate wild animals. Maybe you could remove the most detailed pictures in order to ensure a peaceful nesting for the bird family?
These days are over now. The public is now supposed to take care of the eagles by keeping distance to eagle nests. And respect the warnings set up around most nests. This nest is even protected by
camera surveillance, day and night.
albicilla

Post by albicilla »

MAR. 23.

08.20 M has a small visitor for 15 sec. A starling sitting up right close to M . The starling was even singing a bit.

09.28 F is back to take the brood. Already on the eggs here behind M

12.30 Some prey has come to the nest. It is written on comments that it was F who brought it, and that M was not allowed to eat.

18.50 F came in for the night followed by a young eagle. Written in the comments on the web site. Warning calls and both eagles on the nest for some time.
albicilla

Post by albicilla »

MAR. 24.

05.21 M calls short from outside. F on the eggs is recalling. Calling continously in 3 minutes.
05.24 F gets up and is standing and calling for one min. and jumps up next to the camera. And out.
05.28 M is on th eggs. Still much calling from both eagles.

It looks like - ONE EGG HAS BROKEN.

18.03 Male brooding. Gives warning calls as a lot of gulls are passing above the nest.
18.23 Both eagles very angry as someone passes above.
martinmiethke

Post by martinmiethke »

Owlie wrote: March 22nd, 2020, 8:11 pm :hi:
Red Roes?
Hmm … I don’t know „Red Roes“. What I meant is this species: Capreolus capreolus :-)
albicilla

Post by albicilla »

MAR. 27.

18.07 Female in for the night

albicilla

Post by albicilla »

MAR. 28.

05.28 Male in for morning shift:

albicilla

Post by albicilla »

MAR. 29.

Written on the website last night:
A general introduction to WTEs in DK, by Ole F Larsen, member of Eagle Project DKs steering group.
A GT translation:
Denmark is perfect for sea eagles with many fjords and shallow areas as well as some lakes where sea eagles are also located.

They live mostly on fish, Coots and ducks, but do not go out of their way for carnivores - for example, traffic kills and remains of hunters - or other animals and birds. In the winter we have lots of geese and ducks visiting from the north, as there are cormorants, and Coots clumps together in large flocks.

Spring, summer and fall are easily accessible to colonies of breeding birds and inexperienced young birds, who have not learned to care for themselves. We know that sea eagles, for example, can go hard for goslings, gulls and cormorants.

In addition, fish come year-round when there is no ice, and it has not been for some years afterwards.

The breeding pair on the nest are adult birds that have managed themselves for several years before meeting each other and now have the advantage of being able to hunt together - when they do not need to be changed to nest.

The natural threat to our eagles - and other birds of prey - is in their first year of life, where they have to learn to fend for themselves. We know from surveys of different species of birds of prey that 50-75 percent of young people die of starvation during their first year of life because they do not become skilled enough to obtain food. The birds of prey who learn it and survive their first year, on the other hand, can expect to live long. We expect Sea Eagles to be around 30 years old. One of the first sea eagles in the new Danish stock is still breeding and is ringed in a nest in 1992 in Germany.

Return to “White Tailed Eagles (WTE)”