Latvian WtE nest webcamera Juras-erglis Durbe 2020

White-tailed eagles in Latvia

Moderator: Moderators

Sonchik

Re: Latvian WtE nest webcamera Juras-erglis Durbe 2020

Post by Sonchik »

ame wrote: June 1st, 2020, 9:00 pm Milda killed the hawkling rather quickly after she came to the nest to stay at about the noon. she had seen the hawk chick a little earlier but flew away, but after she came back it didn't take long before she had made her decision.
I'm not talking about making a decision, I'm talking about the murder process. It took her a long time to do it. As if she'd never done it before.
Raimis has fed the eaglets with fish in every year. in the previous years how many birds did Raimis bring?
I don't mean fish. Only Chicks. Last year, Raimis brought a baby Buzzard, but who fed the Chicks? I don't remember.
ame wrote: June 1st, 2020, 9:00 pm i can't remember. this year it has been very different. he has been a menace to all other birds of prey in the whole province. :slap:
Last year, all over the world, hawks destroyed osprey Chicks. It didn't happen that often before. So there were too many hawks and they didn't have enough more standard food. There aren't enough suitable trees for all the hawks, apparently. That's why Raimis finds hawks ' nests so often. Nature regulates the number of hawks with the help of Raimis. So it wasn't Raimis who suddenly started hunting hawks, but there were too many hawks.
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

At 10:46, the Eaglets were biting each other's feathers. :laugh:
ame

Post by ame »

Sonchik wrote: June 1st, 2020, 9:48 pm I'm not talking about making a decision, I'm talking about the murder process. It took her a long time to do it. As if she'd never done it before.

I don't mean fish. Only Chicks. Last year, Raimis brought a baby Buzzard, but who fed the Chicks? I don't remember.
i can't remember how it happened this year or last year. in fact i didn't watch very carefully how Milda 'processed' the hawkling, and what i saw i have wanted to forget. it felt so bad to watch it. it's the same with the fox cub last year. i only have the impression that she didn't hesitate at all in cutting the food. it may have taken more time with the hawkling because of the feathers that needed to be plucked off first. she knew that it was food which she was to serve to her children.
ame

Post by ame »

the family are sleeping...
22:49 and 22:50 two poopshots.
we were so lucky again! the "mainstream" went under the camera but a side stream flew by on the right side. :laugh:

playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... WVpZkDMW0V

good night! :offtobed:
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

ame wrote: June 1st, 2020, 10:23 pm i can't remember how it happened this year or last year. in fact i didn't watch very carefully how Milda 'processed' the hawkling, and what i saw i have wanted to forget. it felt so bad to watch it. it's the same with the fox cub last year. i only have the impression that she didn't hesitate at all in cutting the food. it may have taken more time with the hawkling because of the feathers that needed to be plucked off first. she knew that it was food which she was to serve to her children.
Of course, Milda knew it was food. She didn't seem to know what to do with it. The chick kicked and clawed at her. Once he dug his claws into an Eaglet and the Eaglet screamed in pain. Milda jumped back, afraid of the bird's claws.
Eagles are not hawks, they do not know how to kill birds quickly. Perhaps this is why other Chicks grow up in the nests of eagles? The eagles just couldn't kill them?
It is unlikely that such situations occur in the nests of hawks.
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

Crissy wrote: June 1st, 2020, 2:55 pm ...
14:56 a bug crossed camera lens
At 15:08, he crawled back. :mrgreen:

Image Image
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

At 17:01-17:07, the eagles had a lot of work to do. Milda was looking for something to eat, for example. :laugh:
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

ame wrote: June 1st, 2020, 8:21 pm 20:20 some serious WEx by Malda(?) with legs spread far out from each other. then she backed to the toilet but didn't shoot. -
Before that, at 20:19, she called her parent, I think.
i can't remember this happening so often in the previous years. they both are so slow and often fail to make a shot.
Hypodynamia. :laugh: They move very little. They lay and kiss all the time. :mrgreen:

At 21:24, Milda was measuring her beak with the Chicks. Rather rigid. :shock:
Crissy

Post by Crissy »

June 2

Good morning all :wave:

Sonchik, Ame thank you for the reports and pictures :thumbs:

3:28 Milda flew out
4:06 poop shot, preening
6:30 poop shot and lazy WEx :D
6:35 some more WEx
Crissy

Post by Crissy »

7:30:58 Milda with hay flew in

7:31:53 she jumped to top branch

7:32 eaglet made WEx and made small jump :loveshower:
7:35/36 more exercises
7:48 poop shot
7:51 WEx

Video from several wing exercises this morning put together

Ame :hi:
ame

Post by ame »

good morning!

thank you for the comments and reports!
i'll reserved few posts for some videos but before posting them i'll see what you have coming. :thumbs:

2:55 i think this was a PS.

on the whole they are so active during nights. in windless nights i can hear them rustling and preening and stomping around on the nest till at least about 2 am. then they may sleep longer times. :laugh:
in the daytime they lie and kiss on the nest but they lead a much livelier night life. soon it will be moonlight nights if the sky remains clear. then we shall possibly be able to see something, too, not only hear them.
ame

Post by ame »

3:22 Milda woke up. a roe buck was barking in the forest....
3:27 Milda stretched her wings.
3:28 she flew out to the Observation Oak. it was too dark still to catch a picture of her landing there. one must use more the imagination, or the "soul's eyes" to "see" it. :rolleyes:
ame

Post by ame »

4:06 a PS. Milda was becoming visible.

then preening.
ame

Post by ame »

4:32 a PS and preening.

4:59 a jay or jays were talking near the nest. the eaglets listened....
ame

Post by ame »

5:14 a great tit was singing near. the eaglets looked up...
5:22 a wood pigeon flew to a spruce on the right. there were many singing. the eaglets were looking and listening...

all the time Milda sat in the Observation Oak.
ame

Post by ame »

5:40 the eaglets stretched their wings. their shadow was repeating their moves on a tree on the right. :mrgreen:
the shadows were in the yellow circle. Milda was sitting in the OO.

ame

Post by ame »

6:30 a PS and WEx.
ame

Post by ame »

6:34 more WEx ...
6:36 i think that Milda stretched her wings in the OO, too.

ame

Post by ame »

7:24 Malda (?) went to toilet. no PS.
7:29 a PS. :rolleyes:
ame

Post by ame »

7:27:20 Milda flew away from the Observation Oak. i think she landed on the meadow behind the Sisters and the Cousins.

Return to “White-tailed Eagles”