Black Stork Nest in Karula 2020

Cameras Watching over Black Storks nest
pet@home

Re: Black Stork Nest in Karula 2020

Post by pet@home »

Hello everybody, my first post after some years of watching..
09:52 I think Karl lost the moss on landing because it was too big :nod:
Summi

Post by Summi »

Swenja, great pictures how Kaia greeted and "thanked" her mate this morning. :thumbs:

Karl II understood in this very long brooding session how vital it is to lie in a really soft moss bed, so to bring moss was a more important need than to go fishing. 8-)
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

11:15 Kaia broods.
She gets up, do some nest work, shake out plumage and continue brooding.

Freedom!
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

Summi wrote: June 1st, 2020, 11:09 am Swenja, great pictures how Kaia greeted and "thanked" her mate this morning. :thumbs:

Karl II understood in this very long brooding session how vital it is to lie in a really soft moss bed, so to bring moss was a more important need than to go fishing. 8-)

Karl II with the grass and moss gives me the impression that he is not thinking of giving up the eggs.
It seems like he emphatically demonstrated this to Kaia.
He framed the female with fresh grass and moss.

Kaia got up and made an interesting reaction. I will make a little video of the scene.

Freedom!
asteria

Post by asteria »

juta wrote: June 1st, 2020, 8:46 am I don´t think so. It certainly sounds cruelly but maybe better if the eggs didn´t hatch at all.
I wish and will be happy to be wrong and sorry to be so strict but situation doesn´t look good.
Normally I am an optimistic person.:unsure:
Even in the most optimistic scenario(the storklets from these eggs get enough food from the parents and and are defended from hawks), the date of fledging will be anyway too late( the middle of September). They will be simply very late for starting their migration. All the other scenarios don't leave them a chance to survive.

But it is rather possible that the eggs are plane.
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

Swenja wrote: June 1st, 2020, 11:28 am Karl II with the grass and moss gives me the impression that he is not thinking of giving up the eggs.
It seems like he emphatically demonstrated this to Kaia.
He framed the female with fresh grass and moss.
Hello everyone. :hi:
Swenja, thank you very much for your constant observations, images and video.

Karl II certainly does not want to give up the eggs.
It is touching to see how, after 36 hours of continuous incubation, he first brings grass and moss to the nest.
This not only makes a softer and cooler nest for Kaia, but it is especially important for the eggs.
The humidity in the nest must remain high enough for the eggs.
Only after this is ensured (he even came back to check again), he thinks about his own needs and goes fishing.

“Clearly, animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.”
— Irene Pepperberg
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

Hello @Anne7 :hi:
You are welcome.
It is a pleasure to watch the black storks. :thumbs:

Karl II is a strong partner for Kaia. :nod:
If the female did not see it that way, the eggs would not have passed and she would not be bound.
Karl II would be without her.

Of course it's very late this year and we don't know what's going to happen. But I remain optimistic and am not yet thinking of a bad ending. I just keep on watching.

edit: It's very windy again. The camera has dropouts.
Freedom!
Summi

Post by Summi »

Swenja, thank you for the video to admire Karl II spreading out the moss he had brought. :thumbs:
Karl II never stops amazing us how dedicated he is!
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

The eggs look very good in the enlarged pictures of Anne7. :thumbs:
No spots recognizable and it is a fresh white.
Freedom!
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

19:19 Karl II is coming

Kaia seems very happy. :laugh:

And Kaia is gone again.

Freedom!
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

19:45 Karl II gathers grass and moss around him. 8-)

Freedom!
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Perhaps he is getting ready for a change in the weather? It will be colder here from Thursday so maybe something similar in Estonia.
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

Hello Jo UK :hi:

It's getting fresh in Estonia tonight. 5°/6° C is cold :unsure:

Freedom!
Summi

Post by Summi »

When Karl II can find food, eat, rest and come back on the nest in 9 hours (after having brooded for 36 hours), why Kaia needs for this four times as much time? :puzzled: So it's not only a question of shortage of food.
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

Summi :hi:
I think Kaia just doesn't "know" better because she is so young. Young mothers have to learn to be mothers.
It is a really good fact that Karl II is a strong partner. Kaia's instinct has to grow.

20:37 :sleeping:

Freedom!
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

Swenja wrote: June 1st, 2020, 8:29 pm I think Kaia just doesn't "know" better because she is so young. Young mothers have to learn to be mothers.
It is a really good fact that Karl II is a strong partner. Kaia's instinct has to grow.
I agree, Swenja.

Kaia is indeed very young and inexperienced. She is like a 13-year-old teenage mum. (I say this without any human moralizing connotation!) She will observe, learn and gain experience. I prefer to speak of intelligence rather than instinct. For me, learning new skills is a matter of intelligence, not (only) instinct.
Kaia does not (yet) have the same skills as Karl II. (If she will ever match these skills.) Karl II is exceptionally strong, smart, devoted and talented. Last year, in Karula National Park, storklets starved to death on some BS nests. We did never notice any of this dramatic food-shortage on this nest, back then. This was only thanks to Karl II. Kati brought much less food, despite being a very experienced female.

I don't know if Karl II will be able to be successful in these circumstances, this season. It would be an extraordinary achievement.
He seems to be confident. :thumbs:

After reading 'The Genius of Birds', written by Jennifer Ackerman, an award-winning science writer, I'm even more convinced that birds are intelligent creatures.
The review says:
"Birds are astonishingly intelligent creatures. According to revolutionary new research, some birds rival primates and even humans in their remarkable forms of intelligence. In 'The Genius of Birds', acclaimed author Jennifer Ackerman explores their newly discovered brilliance and how it came about.
As she travels around the world to the most cutting-edge frontiers of research, Ackerman not only tells the story of the recently uncovered genius of birds but also delves deeply into the latest findings about the bird brain itself that are shifting our view of what it means to be intelligent. At once personal yet scientific, richly informative and beautifully written, 'The Genius of Birds' celebrates the triumphs of these surprising and fiercely intelligent creatures." I really recommend this book to anyone who loves birds. :2thumbsup:

Good night, everyone! :wave:
“Clearly, animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.”
— Irene Pepperberg
Tatiana60

Post by Tatiana60 »

Swenja wrote: June 1st, 2020, 9:40 am ... He brought a lot of grass and moss 3 times.
Our hardworking stork returned 6 times: 09.38, 09.42, 09.44, 09.46, 09.50, and at 09.52, he just checked to make sure everything was in order, and then flew away. :nod:

Swenja

Post by Swenja »

June 2nd

Good Morning!

05:06 Karl II snoozes

08:19 The sun is dazzling, but I still want to post it.
A wonderful sight when Karl II spreads his wings.

Thanks Anne7 :hi: If the young Kaia learns well, she will become a fantastic mother.
edit: Animals have intelligence! But human intelligence would not help them survive. :whistling:

Tatiana60 a very nice idea to create this photo gallery. Thank you! :thumbs:
Freedom!
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

09:11 streching

Freedom!
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

15:00 Karl II is resting.

Freedom!

Return to “Black Stork Camera Forum”